Instructor: Aleksi Aaltonen, Section 002

5G

The federal Communication Commission is looking to auction US licenses that will allow 5G services. 5G will allow speeds to be about 100 times faster than the current cellular speeds we experience now. There are a few more benefits as well. It can increase the responsiveness and allow more people being on the same network without any delay or lagging. Having less delay and response time can help other technology improve dramatically such as VR, drones, self driving vehicles, and social media apps. Self Driving vehicles can allow accelerated information such as finding out the location and speeds more effectively. VR devices would be able to display a much more advanced experience that consumers would enjoy. Social media apps, such as Facebook Live would be able to have more clear live videos of everyone. Drones are similar to the self driving vehicles that would give us more data and footage needed. 5G is coming soon and will impact all of our lives dramatically. What features are you looking for most that will be impacted by 5G networks?

https://www.cnet.com/news/a-look-at-5gs-most-promising-applications-for-now/

4 Responses to 5G

• More bandwidth is always nice – we seem to always find more and more bandwidth hungry services to use whatever is available. However, I think lower latencies are in some ways even more important as you hint – more reliable and lower network latency will probably allow new kinds of applications that require high real-time precision.

• I always wondered what was taking the United States so long to develop their 5G services. There are many other countries that have pushed their 5G services already, like South Korea, Japan, and China. It seems like the companies in the US took their time to implement this. In my opinion, I would think it would just be because these companies didn’t find the need to invest into 5G, and instead focused on other technologies that they would have found more profitable. While the other countries probably believed investing in 5G early would be profitable for them.

• 5G services are essentially important in today’s technology, it can essentially be a driving force for facilitating self-driving car, improving drone’s camera’s resolution and such. However, I agree with Professor Aleksi, because having a stable connection, low latency and adequate amount of bandwidth is the essence of facilitating those services in order to increase the efficiency and quality of the self-driving car, live video, and other application that require stable connection to the network.

• The internet is a very powerful tool. Now-a-days we are all connected through our devices. Bandwidth is the one thing that is holding us back! Allowing us to get more bandwidth (5G) would only improve our experiences. Now if only we could find a better form of input…….. thumbs are very slow -_-

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *