Information Systems Integration – Tony Messina

Huawei’s Enterprise Storage Service

The Chinese conglomerate Huawei, mostly known for its smartphones has unveiled an enterprise storage solution for its public cloud. The company claims that its competitors AWS, Microsoft, and Google do not provide enterprise class services such as primary data storage. Through Huawei’s robust resources and data-on-demand model, the company was able to create a Dedicated Enterprise Storage Service (DESS). The DESS allows customers to seamlessly transfer their applications and data to Huawei’s public cloud. The benefits of this new addition to Huawei’s public cloud includes a 20% higher IOPS/LUN ratio, active redundancy, and an extension to cloud based data analytics. Do you think AWS, Microsoft, and Google will be able to compete with this DESS service? Do you think this will make those on the fringe of switching to the cloud actually make the jump? Do you think Huawei’s competitors will come out with something similar to retain their customers?

2 Responses to Huawei’s Enterprise Storage Service

• I think AWS and Google will definitely choose to follow up to compete in DESS service. Base on the article, DESS benefits include
    1. No app changes
    2. Security – a customer’s DESS infrastructure is physically separated from that of others, and various security utilities can be used
    3. Performance Boost
    4. No service interruption
    5. Public cloud economics: pay for what you need when you need it
    6. Extension to analytics: cloud-based data analytics service can use data in DESS
    Future more, one of my friend work in Huawei used to tell me that Huawei spends billions of money on researching Internet of Things, and this technology looks very like one of the products of IoT research. With the data process on the cloud, the devices require less computing power on-site, which they can be lighter and cheaper. In other words, this technology is the basis for the widle used internet of things, so I think tech giants like Google and Amazon will follow up.

• I’m curious about how Huawei’s cloud is different from iCloud. Speaking from someone who hasn’t necessarily made the jump to the cloud (and since I don’t have a Huawei device) this probably won’t impact my decision – but I can see how the many customers who may have Huawei phones in other parts of the world will want to make the shift. In fact, I bet this will bring a large overall shift in cloud usage, consider the size of Huawei’s customer base. It was probably be crucial for company’s competing with Huawei to counter with similar technology.

Leave a Reply to Run Zhu Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *