Forget About Wearables . . . Implant Devices Into Your Body!

Image result for implantable technologyMore and more people have been wearing technology devices such as Fitbit and Apple Watch for various reasons such as tracking their health and fitness to checking email and texting friends. However, an even more disruptive technology is rising, implantables. Disruption is coming with the growing trend of implanting technologies inside the human body. Around the world, already about 30,000-50,000 people have RFID implants in their body. Some uses of these radio frequency identification implants are using your hand to unlock doors with a simple wave. With a tag that is inside a small glass cylinder the size of a grain of rice implanted into a persons body, no one will ever have to worry about losing keys or ID badges again.

Even crazier to think about is that Elon Musk has a plan on implementing Virtual Reality into people’s brains! You can start thinking about removing the large headsets and start imagining experiencing VR through your own mind. Musk points to the possibility of using neural lace, tiny mesh sensors inserted into the brain, which he believes will allow the host to be connected to a computer. If Musk’s vision turns into a reality, it will disrupt the VR headset industry because it will eliminate the need for them.

How do you guys feel about implantable technologies? Do you feel comfortable implanting a small chip or device into your body just to be able to unlock doors or as a form of identification? What other uses of implantables do you see yourself using?

3 Responses to Forget About Wearables . . . Implant Devices Into Your Body!

• At this moment, I probably would not feel too comfortable to implant device as there are a lot of uncertainties about how these chips will affect human body in the long term. Plus, this limits your access to the chip, if the chip needs to be replaced or fixed, you will have to do a small surgery to take it out. It seems to me that the cons outweigh the pros for implant devices.

• This is a fascinating idea! Not only can it be used as a form of identification to act as a digital key, but maybe more importantly, it can be used for many healthcare related functions. Implants may be able to monitor vital signs and blood sugar levels and send the results to a health care provider (HCP). They can also store valuable, potentially life saving health information. Instead of having to fill out paperwork or answer questions and wait for your records to be loaded up (if they even exist on the hospital’s system), scanning an implant that immediately identifies you and your medical history can inform the person treating you of your medical history, including current medications and any allergies, which can speed up treatment and reduce potential issues. Maybe they could even have GPS locators so if someone has a heart attack, not only will the HCP know that the event occurred, but he or she will also know where to send help. Of course another entity tracking your whereabouts is a touchy subject, and one that I would not feel comfortable with, but the benefit is significant for situations such as this one. Weiming brings up good points about the unknown effects of foreign bodies implanted into our own, as well as how to handle device failures or upgrades. How also can we secure the implants from hackers and electrical and/or magnetic interference? My comfort level right now is not high enough to be willing to put an implant in my body, and I will likely never attach a neural lace to my brain under any circumstances I can currently imagine, but it is a potentially disruptive technology that is definitely worth exploring.

• I will not let anyone put any chip into my body. I’m so scared about the implantable technologies. Maybe is because I watched too many American movies talking about how Villain using implantable techniques to control the world. If anyone does not listen, Villain can blow him off by the chip inside his body.
    Even most of our pet has a microchip inside their body, which provides the technology is mature and safe, I will definitely refused to use implantable technologies for myself.