Information Systems Integration – Tony Messina

How About a Smart House/House Automation?

With the prevalence of technology in everyday life, people firstly had iPhone that could get rid of keyboard and touchscreen. Then, people could chat with personal assistant apps or systems on the phone, such as Apple’s Siri, Google’s Assistant, and Amazon’s Alexa. A smart house that people could control by voice also became a popular trend.

There are three generations of house automation. The first generation is a wireless technology with a proxy server; the Second generation is artificial intelligence controls electrical devices, such as Amazon Echo; the Third generation: robot buddy who interacts with humans, e.g. Robot Rovio, Roomba.

Virtual voice-controlled assistants like we mentioned earlier make it easy to control smart home products by speaking simple commands like “Alexa, turn off the lights.” But, do we need to worry about the security? Could people hacking my devices add to change my house setting, such as adjust the temperature?

Sources:https://www.nytimes.com/guides/technology/how-to-make-a-smart-home?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fpersonaltech&redirect=true

6 Responses to How About a Smart House/House Automation?

• I do agree that the security issue for the smart home industry can be life-threatening, but I think right now the biggest problem for these smart assistant and smart home technology is actually themselves. For the smart assistant technology, even though the natural languages processing has improved a lot compared to 10 years ago, but it still can’t up to standard for large-scale applications, and the research in the field seems have got into a bottleneck. The smart home technology not only has the same problem but also stagnating because of the slow progress on the internet of thing. So instead of worrying the security issue, I concern more on the actual result of these technologies.

• I definitely won’t be one of the early adopters of smart home technologies! The security aspect definitely makes me a little nervous to say the least. On another note, your post made me wonder about how smart house technology will be seen in light of environmentalism and sustainability – does it increase or diminish energy use? Is it connected in any way? Will it help people cut down on energy bills? For example – you forget to turn the lights off, but you can check your device to see if you left any on. Or, will there be a capability to let people monitor which areas of the house are using the most energy and costing them the most money? It seems like there’s the possibility of people being attracted to this technology for more than just the convenience, which I hadn’t thought about before.

• Smart home technology gives convenience to life but also brings potential security risks. If the system is connected to the internet, then I believe that it is exposed to hacking and remotely breaking into homes. Though, smart home technology may be beneficial in a sustainability stand point. Another good thing a smart home can bring is probably the customized setting. For example, your water heater remembers what temperature you like to have a shower, and can even heat up the water before you get home, so you’ll have the water of the right temperature as soon as you get in the shower.

• If the Smart Home system is connected to the internet, then Yes the smart home is at the risk of being hacked. If the system is hacked, people can make changes to your home settings or know more details about the home owner, such as when the home own will be away, what time the home owner will go to bed, etc. However, on the other side, it is much more convenient. You will know what is going on in your house and have control over it while you are away from home. Personally, I will not adopt a system like this, I do not feel comfortable about my information is being exposed online. For example, there was a news about hackers hacked video cameras in people’s home and exposed the video online. As a result people’s daily life are open to public, no matter they are in the living room or in the bedroom, people can see what they are doing every day. So Security will be my biggest concern to adopt a home smart system.

• I would be worried about my home security if I got a smart home system. I think every system has an opportunity to be hacked, so there is no 100% secure home system. However, everything has its own risk; even physical locker has the risk of being unlocked. Home smart system indeed brings a lot of benefits to us, I will use that.

• If owners are responsible, the chances of hackers entering home automation systems can be minimized. For instance, making sure all internet used to control the home is encrypted, as this will make it much harder for hackers to read the data. Additionally, it would also help to have multiple networks as this could isolate smart equipment so if one network is compromised, the rest of the equipment is not. Finally, owners should make sure to be purchasing reliable equipment from vendors who have excellent reputations in the industry. After all, we expose ourselves to credit card risk everyday making online purchases, etc but today’s world has made it much harder for bank account fraud to go unnoticed. In the future, home automation security will become just as good as fraud detection if not better.

Leave a Reply to Run Zhu Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *