MIS4596 – Tony Messina – Section 002 – Spring 2016

Data Privacy and The Internet of Things

19302085631_3f2a99c7c1_oDuring our class last week, the disruptive technology of “The Internet of Things” was discussed. During the discussion, the class talked about the amount of data a corporation could gather about an individual and that individual’s privacy. I found an interesting article that discusses consumers distrust of data collection and selling to a third party. The article states “45% of respondents express very low trust or no trust at all that companies were using their connected device data securely and in ways that protected their privacy.” Also, many service agreements are “black and white; either agree to data collection or do not use the service. Since many corporations are building business models for the connected era (the internet of things), the author, Stacey Higginbotham suggests providing context about the data to the consumer to help ease the consumers worries.  Shes suggests some type of label, kind of like a nutrition label you find on food, that will clearly outline the companies data-storing and data-sharing policies. The label could include what data is stored, who the data would be shared with or sold to, and how long that data is stored. I believe this is a good idea that will help consumers have a better understanding of the data they are sharing. Also, any company that will openly provide this information could improve relations and build trust with consumers.

What are your thoughts about a data label?

What other information do you think should be on the data label?

5 Responses to Data Privacy and The Internet of Things

• I think this is a very important point to make. Think facebook. They’ve been touting privacy and security for the last 4 or 5 years. They already have a sort of data label and one that’s customizable to your individual liking.

Unfortunately, I fear that data sharing has ‘gone too far’ in a sense that the average consumer wouldn’t agree to share the information that is already being collected about them.

• I think the data label would be a great idea. Think about when you have to sign the terms and conditions when installing new software. Does anyone actually go through and read the entire document that is written in legal language? A simple data label would allow consumers to be aware of what they are actually giving the company permission to do.

• A data label makes a lot of sense especially with the “internet of things” becoming more of a reality. There was once a time where nutrition labels on our food were non existent or difficult to understand. Over the years packaged foods became a larger part of Americans lives, and consumers because more educated on the topic, which led to them demanding transparency. This is the same thing that is happening today with the internet and consumer preference; people are becoming more tech savvy, leading them to demand more transparency.

• I love the idea of a data label. However, I agree with Michael that the average consumer probably wouldn’t agree to share the amount of data that is collected about them today. I think that companies would have to justify their collection in a way that shows users how the data collection is making their experience easier, more enjoyable, more simple, etc. I think that a lot of people in our generation and the generations above us would pay attention to the data labels as a decision-making tool when deciding whether or not to use a web service, even though many do not read the lengthy terms and conditions written in boring legal style. However, I think that people who are in high school now or younger may not be as concerned about what data is being collected about them because they have never lived in a world where data wasn’t being collected about everything that was reasonably possible. It seems that in general the younger a person is, the less concerned with individual privacy they are. So while data labels would be great and useful in the short term, they may have an expiration date as younger users will be less likely to read them.

• Mr. Ploucher,

This is a great idea and I would feel more comfortable with the data customers are collecting for sure. But the truth is does it matter. Sure when these data are shared it annoy thats it. What is the effect. ANNOYANCE TO ME. Thats it, this does not hurt me or you in any other way (some would argue creepy……). They take the data and will send me emails with spams and call my phone. This is not a issue much of a issue with cell phones and is a problem with landlines so really isn’t a problem for most consumers in the USA. I feel that if the annoyance stopped, I really would not care or we would not talk about this at all. It wouldn’t be a issue. Use the data and improve the society.