MIS4596-Tony Messina-Sec 002-Spring 2017

Kevin Santoni

Disruptive Trends for 2017

space x photo

This article identifies six trends they believe will continue to evolve and disrupt technology in 2017. These trends are financial automation, bigger “big data”, the internet of everything, mobile domination, space exploration becoming cheaper, and marijuana tech.
I think financial automation is possible is some areas, but it depends on each financial institution and what their infrastructure looks like. We already know that “big data” is going to continue to evolve and get bigger, there’s no surprise there. The internet of everything will probably be the biggest trend we will see this year. With apps like Apple’s Home, everything in your home will start to include WiFi to connect to Home and other new apps. Mobile dominance is no surprise either. As for space exploration and marijuana tech, well… space exploration is a long way off from being truly affordable (Space X) and marijuana tech will be at the mercy of Trump’s administration.
Something they left off the list is AR/VR. Pokémon Go brought AR games to the mainstream and similar games are expected to be released. Plus, there is plenty of VR devices being released now.

How will legacy systems affect some financial institutions looking to automate processes?
What do you think about the internet of everything? Do you have privacy/data collection concerns?
Are games that incorporate AR/VR the future of gaming?
Are you interested in Microsoft’s HoloLens?

Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/mnewlands/2016/08/31/6-disruptive-trends-in-technology-for-2017/

Is the Cloud Secure?

cloud computing photo

Our case this week was about cloud storage and document management. I am personally not a big fan of keeping my files “in the cloud.” This article defines the cloud as what we usually think about (Google Drive, Dropbox, Box, etc.), but also as Facebook (for pictures) and more.
My personal reasons for not using these services is partially security and privacy, but I also don’t feel like I need them. On the security and privacy front, the article states that most attacks hit traditional servers and not the cloud. I guess they forgot about the Celebgate in 2014. So, these companies hire the best security experts there is to protect themselves and your data. They do their best, but nothing is ever 100% secure. It only takes one small mistake for a hacker to find a way in. The article states that your data is better protected on the cloud because it would be mixed in with everyone else’s data. Which does make sense, but if they do find a way to get data off a Dropbox hack, you won’t be happy if it’s your data being published.

Do you truly trust these companies with your private photos and data?
What would you do if your data was stolen off of your cloud storage?
Did you consider Facebook as part of “the cloud”?

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/23/insider/where-does-cloud-storage-really-reside-and-is-it-secure.html

Hybrid ERP Systems

cloud computing photo

In class we talked about how important ERP systems are for companies. This is especially true now that most, if not all, companies have implemented an ERP system. With advancements in technology and internet speed, some companies have started to move parts of their ERP systems into the cloud, these are called hybrid ERP systems and are the new big thing for ERP systems. Companies are able to move “standard” ERP applications into the cloud, but must keep any custom applications on the premises so they can access their custom code. Moving to the cloud (software as a service) allows companies to save money, but they will first need to sort out any integration issues that will unavoidably arise when moving part of their ERP system to the cloud.

Do you think a lot of companies will be interested in hybrid ERP systems and will a lot of them make the switch?
Will there eventually be a day when ERP systems are entirely in the cloud?

Source: http://searchmanufacturingerp.techtarget.com/feature/Which-hybrid-ERP-business-processes-should-you-move-to-the-cloud