MIS4596 CAPSTONE COURSE

Uber’s Business Model Could Change Your Work

uber

On Thursday we briefly talked about Uber’s business model. I find Uber an interesting and smart start up that is becoming very popular. I came across an article that talks about the “Uberization of work may soon be coming to your chosen profession.” a range of companies are trying follow Uber’s business model in order fields from grocery shopping, legal services, to even medicine. The benefit of Uberization is that technology can make your work life more flexible because it will allow you to fit multiple jobs around your schedule. An economist at the University of California stated, “this on-demand economy means a work life that is unpredictable, doesn’t pay very well and is terribly insecure.” Most people would rather have good, well-paying, regular jobs. Uber is a growing company and there are always new opportunities for employment.

What do you think about Uber’s business model? Do you think other fields that follow this business model will be successful? Would you want to work for a company like Uber? Why or why not?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/29/technology/personaltech/uber-a-rising-business-model.html

One Response to Uber’s Business Model Could Change Your Work

• I found the article you located to be intriguing, and I appreciated the balanced perspectives of Dr. Sundararajan—pro-uberization—and Dr. Reich—anti-uberization.
    What worries me, to an extent, about the prospect of a largely “uberized” workforce, is the need for a worker to hold multiple jobs to compensate for the absence of full time employment with benefits. To fill financial gaps, workers will feel compelled to “[monetize] their […] downtime.” Over the prospect of simultaneously being “an Uber driver, an Instacart shopper, an Airbnb host and a Taskrabbit,” I prefer the prospect of full time employment complemented by professional or academic study, hobbies, and other activities.
    I think that while other fields of business may successfully employ Uber’s business model, professional groups will indeed gain popularity as people realize the value of work stability in contrast with the flexibility of by-the-job payment.