Professor David S. McGettigan

Monthly Archives: April 2016

Week 6 – April 26

Siemens Logo

The case for this week is “Open Innovation at Siemens”  and the group cases are due at the start of class in hardcopy please and as outlined in the syllabus.

I look forward to reviewing in class.

Regards,

David S. McGettigan

Week 5 – April 14

Week 4 Apple Logo

This week we will review the case “Apple in 2015.”  I selected this case and placed it specifically to follow Kodak, as one could argue that Apple’s prowess and brand recognition is similar to that of Kodak in its day.  While this week we will not have the benefit of looking back in history, we will carry forward the strategic thinking and tools we applied last week.  Additionally, we will discuss other emerging digital technologies and their implications.

Additionally, the case study questions for Siemens have been published under the “Case Studies” section of this site.  This should enable you to work on the case in advance if your group prefers to do so.

The class this week will be especially interactive.  So rather than add any posts or discussions to this site, I ask that each of you read the material and prepare accordingly.  Also note that your Lynda.com and reading summaries are due at the start of class.

David S. McGettigan

Week 4 – April 7

Kodak Logo

The topic for this week is “Disruptive Innovation.”  Kodak was once on of the world’s most iconic brands.  We will study disruptive innovation from two perspectives.  First,  from the perspective of a company impacted by it, Kodak.  Second from those causing disruption such as ABB (this week) and Apple (next week).

In terms of material due, both your weekly reading summary and Kodak case should be turned-in at the start of the class.  I would expect that your weekly reading summary also include your thoughts and references to the case in addition to the articles.  Again, this is emphasized in the syllabus, and I just wanted to re-emphasize the point.  It is especially important for this week’s lecture to read all of the material in advance.

In preparation for the class discussion, I would like you to give thought to the question of  “Would Kodak’s position be different had the company adopted a different strategy in the 80s and 90s, or was the actual outcome inevitable?”  I have posted a question to the discussion board and would like your thoughts on it.  Respond with one of three choices “Kodak could have been a disruptor, Kodak could have survived as a fast follower, or the demise of Kodak was inevitable.”

The lecture material has been published to this site accordingly.  I look forward to our next class on Thursday.

Regards,

David S. McGettigan