This paper examines how the interplay of an app’s internal architecture with its external architecture affect its performance in intra-platform competition.
- Near- Decomposability: It is based on Simon’s notion of architectural near- decomposability: independence among and interdependence within systems.
- Modularity of external architecture
- Monolithicity of internal architecture
- Platform synergy: The degree to which an app’s implementation leverages the focal platform’s capabilities
- Competitive lead
- Blackberry and apps on the platform
- Reasonable measurements and many control variables
- I like the idea that depicting the platform as an ecosystem and transplanting the general concept ( near- decomposability) to the app platform context.
- It remains unknown whether achieving platform synergy is costly for app developers
- In model 2, there are no control variables.
- Generalizability of the results (Blackberry context)