MIS 9003 – Prof. Min-Seok Pang

Week 8 How to write a lot

Week 8 Book recommendation How to write a lot

It is not a book about how to write well but about help build our habit.
Everyone might have some experiences about spending a whole day but only write a sentence.
What is your tips? ( to break the writing black whole.)
Student 1: Bring your laptop to the Starbucks
Student 2: Just start writing.
Student 3: Go to public library with some noise
Student 4: Walk out to get a fresh mind
Prof: The surprising  fact that this book reveals is that,” if you don’t write, you are not doing any research”. The book argued that that whatever you have in your mind, you have to put it in writing. Until then, you are not doing any research.
    1. The authors’s tips are that he is writing everyday 9 am-11am. Writing is about the momentum . If you write everyday ,you will not lose the momentum. The author also makes about the library and Starbucks. We write more when we in the unfamiliar environment. When I write something new, I go to somewhere new.
    2. Another my routine is that I begin writing on Sunday night. It is important to begin to write.  I try to at least begin one sentence on Sunday night so I could write more on Monday. THe hardest part is start to write.
  1. Set milestone. For example,  I will write one page on Monday. I need to finish 10 pages by this week
  2. Writing is a accumulating process. You don’t  get a good paper in one iteration. I write a lot in the beginning without thinking the quality of English. I will improve it after I read it several time or re-write.

Leave a Reply