TUIP-Digital Equity Intern
As a Digital Equity Intern sponsored by Temple University, I gained a broader understanding of Digital Equity and Digital Inclusion through experiential learning in assisting and providing resources to communities in need. I assisted in the everyday functions of the Digital Equity Center, including refurbishing and repairing electronic devices, managing inventory, teaching digital literacy community classes, providing technical support, and conducting outreach. I also assisted in a grant-funded program to ensure that all residents of the Norris Homes community know about low-priced internet connection provided by the Affordable Connectivity Programs.
In addition to my hands-on experience, I also gained valuable Amazon Web Services (AWS) coding experience by building and maintaining a SQL database. This experience has given me the skills and knowledge I need to pursue a career in the field of digital equity.
Here are some specific examples of what I learned and did during my internship:
- I learned how to assess the digital needs of a community and develop programs and services to meet those needs.
- I gained experience in working with a variety of stakeholders, including community members, government agencies, and nonprofit organizations.
- I developed my skills in public speaking and teaching.
- I learned how to use technology to solve real-world problems.
- I gained valuable experience in working in a team environment.
I am grateful for the opportunity to have interned at the Digital Equity Center. It was a rewarding experience that has helped me to develop the skills and knowledge I need to make a difference in the world.