This Year
No Points
Total
No Points
MIS Badge

Click here
to validate the recipient

Professional Points

The Fox School of Business at Temple University is dedicated to building well rounded students who participate in activities and events outside of the classroom. Through these activities students gain knowledge, confidence, and leader qualities that they can apply in the industry after graduation.

Here is a list of activities and events that I have participated in:

January 16th 2016 – Leadership Challenged

Event Info: “How do you get other people to WANT to follow you, to move toward a COMMON PURPOSE, to feel ENERGIZED to work together and get things done that everyone can feel PROUD of? Join the Office of Leadership Development and Collegiate EmPowerment for the Student Leadership Challenge Experience. Learn how to use the skills in the seminar to be a leader on campus and in the community. Participate in small and large group conversations, high-energy activities and walk away with tools and resources to improve your leadership style.”

Review: The Leadership Challenged event really showed the participants that we all have what it takes to be a leader. We worked in teams and shared stories about times when we had to lead. The speaker was energized and passionate about leadership development. The event was very interactive with many group exercises and activities that made us think outside of the box. I would recommend every Temple student attend at least one session.

January 20th 2016 – PhillySHRM Career Development Series – Session 1: Diversity in the Workplace

Event Info: “Katina Sawyer, Professor from Villanova University, talks to us about the importance of diversity in the workplace. In today’s increasingly diverse and global marketplace, it is crucial for HR professionals to understand and create inclusive work environments within organizations. It is also important to understand the power of stereotypes and the extent to which they inform our worldviews, both within a US context and internationally. This talk will prepare emerging HR leaders to: 1) better understand the diversity and inclusion challenges facing HR professionals today and 2) to leverage the positive benefits of diversity and cross-cultural competence, in order to increase the bottom line within their own organizations.”

Review: What a wonderful event! When you first look at the topic of Diversity in the Workplace you may think that you know what it is about but you haven’t even scratched the surface. Katina has so much passion for this topic and it showed through her entire presentation. Diversity is not just about have a workforce that has many ethnicities present. It is about the way we treat each other and the inclusiveness of every individual in work events both internally and externally. Diversity is about acceptance and being aware of stereotypes while not falling victim to following them. As the workforce changes diversity will continue to change and shape the way we conduct business everyday.

February 10th 2016 – Fox School of Business Spring Connection

Event Info: Each year Temple University hosts the Fall and Spring connection. At the event, upwards of 80 employers are present to network with students. Student uncover internship and permanent employment opportunities. The event is a chance for students to converse with their dream employers and learn more about what their desired industries have to offer.

Review: The Fall and Spring connection are two of the most buzzed about events on campus. Students get dressed up in their best professional attire and come prepared to wow the employers who are present. Temple does a great job of preparing the students for these event by conducting resume reviews and mock interviews. Personally I had a great day this year. I met many professionals who I have been in contact with since. I even got two interviews for permanent position post graduation!

February 11th 2016 – Interview Skills Development

Event Info: HRM students and other faculty or alumni volunteers work with students from the College of Science and Technology. The services offered are: Resume Critique, 30 second spots, and Behavioral question reviews. Each participant goes through a resume critique where they are offered valuable feedback on their resume. Participants are also introduced to 30 second spots where they are to give an “elevator pitch” as if they are in an elevator with the CEO of a company they would like to work for. Finally the participants sit through a mock interview where they are asked behavioral questions which are similar to those asked at live interviews.

Review: It was such a pleasure working with the students from the College of Science and Technology. I was the leader of the 30 second spot and found it very rewarding. We were able to break the participants out of their shells and get them familiar with what a 30 second spot was and why it was important to know it. As the end approached with each group their confidence levels were higher and we were able to give them some additional tips to use at career fairs and on job interviews.

February 22nd 2016 – PhillySHRM Career Development Series – Session 2: HR Metrics

Event Info: Mike Guglielmo of Genesis, a leading-edge health management firm based in Kennett Square, PA, will share his 8 year HCA journey on how he and his team have developed a world-class human capital analytics function. Mike will bring us, through an 8 year timeline, from describing the process he went through to get accurate data to how his team have become trusted business analysts supporting Genesis’ talent management department and ultimately, its’ biggest operational division.

There are several fascinating dimensions to this story, including:

Process improvements to get accurate data and to precisely measure the ongoing accuracy of the database.  We all know how important the credibility of the database is to producing metrics that can guide strategic actions. This will include how they integrated multiple data sources to produce robust metrics.

The business intelligence tools they’ve used in their journey and how they have evolved over the years.

Client Interaction. Mike and team have not only found metrics that add value to the business, but also have the buy-in of their business partners as well. Here’s the story of how they got there.

Valued-added analysis. This is the piéce de résistence! Mike will describe, through vivid examples, how he uses the “5 Whys” root cause technique to target the precise analytic method that will help solve pressing business issues.

Review: HR metrics are the future of all HR activities. Mike’s presentation was filled with valuable information! It was amazing what he was able to accomplish using HR metrics to increase retention, decrease turnover, improve employee morale, and create a talent management program that promotes internal employee growth. What was even more interesting was the these types of metrics can work at any organization regardless of its size. After sitting through this presentation I am intrigued about how I can learn more about this and bring the knowledge with me as I begin my HR career. I plan on taking Metrics in the fall.

Skip to toolbar