Major: BBA MIS
Graduation: August 2021
- Name of sponsoring organization: ChickTech
- Details of the activity (e.g., where, when): 5-7 PM, 5/9/19, 1217 Sansom Street 6th floor, Philadelphia
- What you learned: At the event, I learned how different startups and companies attempt to build diverse teams of employees. This included looking at different demographics of people to hire, working with nonprofits in order to make jobs more accessible for people, and building company ideals and culture around acceptance in order to make jobs more welcoming for future employees, and increase the rate of employee retention. They also spoke about how to make the industry more accessible for racial and gender minorities, and the experiences they had trying to do so.
- How the activity relates to coursework or your career goals: As I will possibly end up working in tech as a woman (an industry which has a much higher percentage of men), knowing how to vet the companies I apply to will help me find ones that have a culture that is welcoming and accessible will be incredibly useful. Additionally, if I ever end up in a position where I have input into which people are hired, I will be able to apply the tactics I learned in order to build a more diverse team of employees.
- Once approved, the description is automatically displayed in a post on your e-portfolio.