Section 005, Instructor: Joe Spagnoletti

Weekly Question #10: Complete by April 19, 2017

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on April 20, 2017. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

Think about a data-driven service that you use regularly (i.e., Blackboard, Amazon.com, Facebook). Imagine you want to store the data for that service in a spreadsheet – what would each row in the spreadsheet represent? What would some of the data columns be?

(For example, Yelp.com stores restaurant reviews. A row would be an individual review, and some columns would be the name of the restaurant, the type of food they serve, the address, the star rating, and the name of the reviewer.)

47 Responses to Weekly Question #10: Complete by April 19, 2017

• A data driven service like Blackboard stores grades and announcements for a student or professor’s classes. For a student the rows are made up of the different classes they take. The columns would consist of the different assignments with the given grades below. Assignments are different for different classes so there could be homework columns, project columns, participation columns, test columns, or whatever the professor assigns.

• Amazon is a great example of a data-driven service. If my personal amazon data was put into a spreadsheet, it would not look too complicated. The columns would display the different products that I have ordered from the website. Also, the total price I payed for the products (including shipping/handling) would be listed in the rows below. For example, if I ordered a phone charger, the column would show “iPhone 7 Charger” and “$12.23” would be listed in a row directly below.

• One data-driven service I use constantly is Snapchat, so if I were to store the data into the spreadsheet, I’d imagine that every row in the spreadsheet would be information about every snap I have sent. Some of the data columns would include the duration of the snap, who it was sent to, and the number of emojis used, among other things. So, for instance, one row would have the snap number, the date it was sent, the time it was sent, the usernames of those it was sent to and all the data about the snap itself.

• One data driven service i use constantly is Google. Google is a great source of information for which I identify the many questions that plague me daily. I would love to see a history of google searches that I have broken down by day, so I can identify if one day where I use google I am more likely to use google on that same day. I think I would, however I am not sure. It would also be interesting to see how many and what my searches are for an entire period like a week or a month.

• If I am able to store the data of Blackboard’s information in a spreadsheet, I would set each row as as one course that a student takes such as: Statistic, English, and Data Science. Also, I would set each column of the spreadsheet as the average grade of the following: homework grades, assignment grades, test grades, extra credits, and lastly the letter grade for the class.

• A commonly used data-driven service that I happen to use frequently is iMessage. Data that is stored is probably contacts, messages, calls, times of each message and photos sent and received, and probably many more. These would be all placed in columns under names of the contact name which would be be placed in rows.

• If I were to use a spreadsheet, I would use data from the Nba Playoffs. The row would be the winner, and in the columns would be their opponent, points scored, home or away, and It would keep going- NBA analytics is very detailed; and this form would simply be in excel

• One information data driven I use often is amazon. On Excel spreadsheet, each column might represent an item I’m interested in purchasing. For example, if I’m looking to buy a vacuum, each column would list different companies where the vacuum was made. The columns could include customer ratings, size/weight, price and color. This would allow me to decide and find and compare which vacuum is best fits.

• One great data-driven service that I frequently use is Youtube. If I store the data for the service of Youtube in a spreadsheet, I imagine that the rows would consist the name of the channels that I subscribed, and the column would represent the number of new videos were added to each specific channel.

• One of the data-driven service that I use often is Blackboard. If the data for the service of Blackboard is store in a spreadsheet, the rows would consist the name of the courses that I take, and the column would represent my grade for that course, and also grade for each assignments, exams,…

• A data driven site I use is Gmail. The rows in a spreadsheet would be something like the dates or times of each email, and the columns would be who I send each email to, or which groups I send my emails to. It would be a fairly straightforward spreadsheet as I do not send and receive that many emails.

• One of the data driven tools I use is the MLB Mobile app, which stores all the stats about the MLB. One of the rows could be a specific player from the MLB, for example, Mike Trout. Some of the columns could possibly be the player’s batting average, home runs, RBI’s, stolen bases, WAR, fielding percentage, etc. There is so much data on the MLB Mobile app that I could make a spreadsheet for. The row, Mike Trout, would be the first example in the Row section, followed by all of their stats in the Column section.

• A data driven site I use frequently is Blackboard. If I were to store this data in a spreadsheet I would display the row as the specified class I am enrolled in. The columns would consist of Attendance grade, Exam grades, Quiz grades, Homework grades, and Extra Credit. Looking at the data from Blackboard on a spreadsheet would make it easy to view how well I am performing overall in all of my classes because all of my grades will be presented in one screen.

• A data driven site that I frequently use is fantasy football. To store all the data on a spreadsheet I would place all my players in the rows. On the columns there would be different types of stats like yards, turnovers, and touchdowns followed by total points earned at the very last column.

• A data driven service I frequently use is the Lyft rides app. If I wanted to store the data in a spreadsheet from this service each row would represent something about my past ride history from each ride I have taking monthly. Finally, the data columns would include distance, pick up & drop off locations, fares, time periods, and ratings of each ride.

• Using blackboard as a service that I use regularly. If I wanted to store that data on an excel spreadsheet, I would make out columns to be the names of each class that I’m enrolled in. the columns would consist of each assignment segmented by intervals of 1 week. If no assignments were scheduled then it would simply be blank. The corresponding array would have the grade value and percentage weight of the overall grade that the assignment holds. This allows the students to accurately measure there performance while actively being able to gauge there security or lack there of.

• One data-driven service I use regularly is online banking. Each row in their spreadsheet I think would represent a different account. Some columns in the excel spreadsheet would be owner name, amount, type of account, email and address.

• One data-driven service I use is Linkedin. If wanted to store that data in an excel spreadsheet, some things in the columns would include: first name, last name, number of connections, city, state, and industry that they are in. So in the rows would fill out all the names, # of connections, addresses and industry type.

• A data driven service that I use often is FanGraphs, a website that shows different articles and baseball statistics. If I wanted to store the data in a spreadsheet, the columns would include the different sections of the site such as FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, Hardball Times, Podcasts, and the other listed sources of content. Each row in the spreadsheet would represent a different article from each section. For example, the column would be FanGraphs and the row would list “Marte Suspended, Pirates Lose Remaining Margin of Error.”

• A data driven service that I commonly use is Eastbay.com. Eastbay is a sports apparel and equipment store. If I wanted to store that data in an excel spreadsheet, the rows could be the different sports like baseball, football, basketball and track. The columns could be the types of clothing/eqipment, brand, size, and male/female/kids.

• While thinking about data-driven services that I use regularly, I found that data storage in a spreadsheet can be very complex (for example for Uber, Waze or Facebook). For Blackboard, it sounds a bit easier. A row would be the performance of the student, and some of the rows would be, for example, “average exam grades”, ‘attendance”, “extra-credit’, “homework”, etc.

• A data-driven service that I use regularly is Mailchimp. If I were to input the data into a spreadsheet, the rows would be all of the different emails and the columns would be metrics like open rate, click-rate, and conversion rate.

• One app that I use consistently that is data driven is the ESPN app. The rows for this would include the team, what league they are playing in, their record, who their next opponent is. It could also go as far as having the overall team stats, and the individual player stats specific to each team.

• A data driven service I use daily is Blackboard, which portrays updated announcement’s and grades. When you first open it you are logged on you see the different classes you take, which profiles can be customized to be the rows. I would have the columns to consist of due dates for each class, and then have it go into more detail of what the assignment is.

• One data-driven service is IMDB website. The rows would be the information of the movie, the columns will have director, stars name, type of movie it is, length of the movie, when it’s released, and details of the movie like language, made by which country, short introduction of the movie.

• I order supplements on onnit.com regularly. If stored in a spreadsheet, the rows would be the dates of my orders, and the columns would include the product ordered, the size of the product ordered, the price, the loyalty points earned, and the regularity of orders of each product. Onnit offers to automate my orders by averaging how frequently I order each product and comparing it to how long a container is supposed to last. I get emails when they think I need to refill a particular product, and the formula for creating these notices would be contained somewhere in there, and would change every time I order, so there would be $’s in there too.

• As a Temple student, I use Blackboard daily. In a data-driven service like blackboard the rows would make up each of the classes that a student is taking. The columns would consist of the assignments and test grades, the overall grades in each of the courses, the Professor or Professors of each course, the time, and the location of the courses. Students can then utilize the spreadsheet as not only a schedule, but as a way to keep track of their grades.

• Blackboard is a great example of a data-driven service. And it is so much easy and good enough for its preparing for this app. Blackboard has given students the different courses in each semester that have chosen. And in each class, it has separated clearly to understand about it such as the assignment, the syllabus, reading materials columns, etc. I think I love using blackboard for checking the new updates for my all classes.

• Blackboard is one of the examples of a data-driven service I use. I would put the rows as the individual information about the class. The colums would be things like name of class, course number, location of class, assignments(with the dates shown), grades etc.

• A great example of data-driven service is IMessage.It stores all types of informations based on your text messages. It collects data such as who sent the text, what time it delivered, what time you read it, and what type of message it is. IMessage is basically set up like a table with the most recent texts you recieved first all the way to the oldest text messages.

• One of the data-driven services that I use regularly is google plus. I use it for my character design data. I opened around 30 gmail accounts in order to store each of my characters’ data in each account. Then I manage all of them together in excel sheet. A row would be an individual’s information. A column can be name, ID, personality, height, weight, belonging group and so on.Then on the next sheet is about the group. Raw can be each group asset’s infor, and column can be different asset type like aircraft, marine vehicle, real estates…

• A data-driven site I use a lot is amazon.com. I have a prime membership and buy tons of different things on the site. I would make an excel spreadsheet and in the first column of each row I would type in the product name. Then for the following columns I would title them price, name of seller, prime or not, number of stars I would give, date I purchased, and date received.

• As a frequent user of Facebook and other social networking outlets, many of the activities I engage in often include sending messages, sharing my opinions on different posts, commenting on mainstream news media, viewing/liking photos, and watching live video broadcasts of people I know. The characteristics of data that could be potentially collected based off these actions can be translated analytically from a qualitative & quantitative standpoint. For example, the columns could represent the users I’ve historically interacted with and certain pages that have sparked my interest, where the rows could provide tallied statistics that count how many times I viewed a specific page, the # of messages I’ve sent to indnvidual friends over a fixed period of time, the amount of comments I’ve posted total, etc…

• One website I use constantly would be Craigslist, Craigslist stores data by saving the items for sale in their specific category’s online. The data stored is then organized on their platform to be promoted, items get sold and taken of the market as new items are being added everyday. Storing this data on a spreadsheet could potentially be organized as the following, columns would be item type, location, price , and rows would be The specific names of the items, the listed prices ,and so on. Craigslist is an old site, but people all over the area still use it come snatch a bargain.

• A data driven service I use a lot is Blackboard. We use Blackboard on a daily basis so it must be user friendly and simple. If I were to store the data on a spreadsheet, the rows would consist of all the classes a student is taking. The columns would consist of professor, time, location, overall grade, assignments, and tests. Blackboard is a perfect example of a data driven service whose data could be easily stored on a spreadsheet.

• The data driven i use frequently is Blackboard. As a student, i can find different class information and what i need to do(assignment due, etc). As a result, the row of spreadsheet will be all kinds of class i choose, and the column will be the tasks i must do in a time order.

• A data-driven service that I use regularly is Gmail. A row would be information of different letters, and some columns would be the name of the person who sent me the mail, the date, and the subject. If I had set up to include the person in to a label, then the columns of labels would have information as well.

• A data driven service I use often is Facebook. I use data analytics for seeing how my viewers are watching certain videos on my business page. If I was going to store data it would be columns with specifications like how many views total, duration of views, duration of how long they viewed it for, organic click or paid click, mobile or desktop. The rows could be names of videos or possibly individual viewers. This helps for finding what I should target in my videos for maximum efficiency.

• I use amazon very regularly. A spreadsheet of data from this site would be simple, and include the items that I purchased in the columns and followed by the price of the items in the row beside it. I would have a total amount of money at the bottom to track how much I have spent on this site. Perhaps I would include the date purchased as well, to see if I tend to buy more items during a certain time of year.

• I religiously check my TU Mail every time I open my computer. If I were to make a spreadsheet (which I wouldn’t, nerds) I would make the rows represent individual emails. Since it’d need columns too, I’d probably add some of those. I’m thinking we slap some good ones in there like which listserv it’s from, the department, date recieved, time recieved, which box it went to, whether it was opened or not. There’s probably more, but you only asked for some.

• One data-driven source I use on a regular basis is Amazon. With Amazon, there would be a rather large amount of data because I use this service rather extensively. Some rows that would go into the spreadsheet would be quantity of item, date of order, date of delivery,
    and number of stars. The column heading would be the name of the item.

• While playing games, the data driven service i often use is Steam. Data are all well organized. The categories are at rows and columns and it is easy to find games. While searching particular keyword, there will be several results in the column, including the name, release date, costumer rate and price.

• If I were to hold data for a service like that I would use an excel sheet to hold information that we need on users. If I were using an information storing system like amazon I would keep track on customers interests and specific info that I need to hold to make sure sales are up. I would rows for the types of categories each customer purchased. I would have data on how much customers purchase in a certain amount of time.

• If I were to use the spreadsheet, I would do it on the NFL website. On the columns, I would write it the teams names. And in the rows, I would write, the starts for each team. I’d have the team listed alphabetically, so its easy find the teams and look up the stats.

• A data-driven service I use everyday is Twitter. An example of how to store this data would be:
    Columns = Date, Username, Tweet, Profile Photo, etc.
    Rows = the actual date of the tweet, the person who tweeted it (their handle), the raw text of their tweet, profile picture image URL
    Twitter is massive obviously but something simple like this would be easy to maneuver and manipulate!

• A data-driven service I use is Instagram. An example of how to store data is.
    Columns= Username, Profile pic, Email.
    Rows= Photos I have liked, Comments, DMs.

• A great example of a data driven app I use daily is a little game on my phone Clash of Clans. The owner of the app can collect all the information of User’s email, username and level and compare how much consumers are spending (in real dollars) to achieve that level. It would be interesting to see since it is a free to play game but also has many microtransactions to move through the game quicker