Management Information Systems in Organizations

Weekly Participation Question #1

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on September 8, 2016. Your response only needs to be about three or four sentences. These weekly questions should reinforce class discussions, readings and show some insight.  

Hint: If you sign into the site using your AccessNet ID and password you won’t have to fill in the name, email and captcha fields when you leave your comment.

Watch the Did You Know Video – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqZiIO0YI7Y  

Comment below on what you thought was the most interesting fact and why.  

38 Responses to Weekly Participation Question #1

• I found a combination of 2 two facts very interesting. Even though we are teaching ahead of the curve by educating people for jobs that aren’t yet a reality, the possibility still exists that freshman year studies may be obsolete by the time junior year rolls around. I found this reality staggering, that in spite of our best efforts to stay on the forefront of technology, our advances are moving exponentially faster. The curve to stay ahead of is like trying to reach a distant horizon that seems to stay eternally well beyond the reach of our grasp.

• I found really interesting the fact that information I really accessible to anyone. This is the first time in history in which it do not matter were you are in the world, you can search something with a click. On the other hand, being in the information age, we are really more richer in knowledge that any generation in the past, technology will have a strong influence in the future generations, therefore learning new skills and always looking to improve is essential, since if we do not we will have a hard time understanding and growing the the future.

• I thought the fact that India and China have more honor kids than we (United States) have kids was a very interesting fact. Its crazy to think that we might one day be competing for jobs and various other things with these children from those countries and that they are already a step ahead of us in education. It really brings to light how important it is to keep pushing yourself with education.

• I would say the most surprising fact is that a week’s worth of new york times contains more information than a person lived in 18 century would come across. The complexity of the world and the development of the world is much more rapid than before. Also, nowadays, the information in one week, which is contains in the New York Times, even exceeds a person’s life experience. That definitely shows how strong the ability to gather information and data we own today. Both technology and the velocity that world changes are faster than anyone’s imagination.

• As the technology gets developed on and on, we live in the space that can be connected to all the people in the world. It means that everyone can get and access data/information they want by just one click. Each information is being counted and gathered through the technology without one’s permission. I think it is great for collecting, organizing, and generating data/information, however, it seems a little scary that one’s information is being transferred so easily to the world.

• The most interesting fact to me is that YouTube is the largest search engine in the world. I actually use YouTube as a search engine now and the amount of information on the platform is incredible. I used YouTube to research complex accounting problems last semester, and I discovered that even with a specific question YouTube will have relevant information most of the time. There are many academic content creators that post high level information on YouTube for anyone to find. I knew YouTube could be used as a search engine but I did not know that it is the largest in world.

• One interesting fact that stuck out to me was that today’s learner will have 10-14 jobs by the age of 38. To me, that is unbelievable. The rate in which people change jobs is crazy. Another fact that ties into finding a job is that we are preparing students now for jobs that don’t even exist yet. Preparing students for jobs and problems that don’t exist yet will make them prepared for when it does. Technology just keeps developing and we need to keep up with the changes and what it could possibility become later on.

• The one fact I thought was the most interesting was that 1 in 5 divorces are blamed on Facebook. Facebook seems to be a double edge sword making it easy to connect to friends and stay in contact, however gives it incentive to cheating allowing for married individuals to conceal affairs through online social media and its direct messaging functions. I wonder whether or not those individuals who have linked up with those they have cheated with would have done so without Facebook. Technology allows for individuals to establish conversations that may not be possible in person because of the fear or rejection or embarrassment, instead online messaging softens conversations and these fears allowing for mutual comfortability and a more likelihood to establish relations that may not occur in person.

• I believe the most startling fact in this video is that 100 billion searches are done on Google every month. This perfectly shows how reliant our society is today on technology. People use Google every day for directions, recipes, job searches, general information, and so much more. I never realized just how integral a part of our every day lives that Google plays. No matter where you go you see people on their phones searching google, playing games, going on facebook and not paying attention to the world around them. I try my hardest everyday to stay off of my phone for as much as possible but it is difficult with how accustom I have become to having the world of information in my palms.

• There are two points that continue to hold my interest, after allowing some time to think about the video’s overall message. In fact, the two points are one-in-the-same, in that they both deal with the point that 25% of China’s population with the highest IQ, is greater than the total population of North America. With the other point being, India’s statistic of 28% of it’s populations highest IQ individuals outnumbering the population of our country. Not withstanding other factors, such as our own population growth and advancements, as well the standards of these two countries IQ standards; the prospect of a superior intelligent upper-echelon of another society outnumbering our society as a whole is daunting and challenging. It is daunting because of the fact that we as a society, I believe, will be eager to compete for the fear of losing our global-leader position. It is also challenging because of the various socio-economic challenges we are currently facing, as well as the continuing difficulties we seem to be having in the STEM subjects. The video as a whole is honestly not what capture my thinking, it is rather that simple statistic and it’s many implications.

• 85% of the video was interesting and some facts slightly disturbing, for example, the first mobile phone call took place in 1973, the same year I was born, and my children all thought that was SUPER LONG AGO.
    I did find it interesting that the 25% of people in China who have the highest IQ’s are greater than the entire population of North America, which consists of 23 countries. So basically, there isn’t one person to be found in 23 countries that is smarter than the person who ranks the lowest in the 25th percentile of high IQ’s in China. I wonder is it because we tend to focus more on social media and new trends than putting the greater emphasis on education in ourselves and our children.

• This was a very interesting video that provided a lot of information. The fact that for the first time in history there are four generations working side by side. The traditionalist, boomer, Gen X and millennial. This made me think of my place of employment and how the Gen X and Millennials often get upset with the operations of the traditionalist and boomer. Often I will hear a millennial state that a traditionalist needs to get up to date with technology, but after watching this video it is safe to say that with the way technology is growing the boomer and millennial will not be within the standard of technology for long.

• The fact that we are preparing students for jobs that don’t exist yet with technologies that don’t exist is very interesting but also exciting. As we move on there are new revolutionary ideas that bring up new jobs and yet somehow most people don’t have jobs that they can apply for. I think that by preparing students for future jobs is not only a way of expanding our knowledge as a species but also helps with people to actually find jobs and not be unemployed. If 30 years ago people were aware of such technologies existing today and if they could’ve been prepared by learning about it then there wouldn’t be as much unemployment and it would’ve in turn created more jobs in my opinion.

• I thought it was very interesting that despite the total world population being 7.3 billion, there are only +3 billion using the internet. Granted that a portion of the total population is too young to begin using technologies yet, this number still seemed surprisingly low to me… so I thought I’d do some digging ;). According to an article from Digital Trends in September 2015, the “United Nations’ Broadband Commission estimates that 4.2 billion people, or three-fifths of the global population, do not have regular access to the Internet”. The limited access for much of this population is due to country specific regulations and censorship (up to and including complete banning of internet access). With so many countries banning or censoring internet access, I can only imagine the further capabilities and advancements in technologies we will experience as these bans begin to lift!

• What I found interesting is that there are no longer secrets. Technology is now our way of living. Everything that we do is recorded and documented in “cyberspace”. Companies have been able to store our personal information which reaches companies or organizations all over the country. Where we live or what we eat is no longer a secret, just log on into any computer system or phone device and your favorite foods, clothes, or car will upload as an advertisement. Also, the fact that we will be using technology that have not yet been invented ponders me, simply because life is so unpredictable. A situation or crisis could occur without a moment’s notice and we, as a country, may not be prepared for it, but life goes on and I look forward to new inventions.

• I found the availability of knowledge to not only be vast but incredibly easy to access. What amazed me the most was the ratio’s involving both China and India and how they have a multitude of honor students compared to the United states. Also, I found it interesting that there are four different generations amongst the workforce for the first time. Not really something I would have thought about. All around this video was incredibly insightful and definitely helped put technologies influence into perspective.

• I found 2 facts very interesting. One of which being that China and India both have more honor roll kids that we have kids in North America, and a week worth of New York Times contains more information than a person in the 18th century was likely to come across. These facts tell me that even with the abundance of information that we can take in, there really is no competition when it comes to the job market including people from countries such as China and India. In order to even have a chance, we would have to be 3 steps ahead of the curve at all times. This entire video however was very interesting. It really showed how advancement in technology is rapidly changing society everyday.

• The one fact i found to grab my attention most was that this is the first time in history were 4 different generations co-existed together, while also having each a different preferred way of communication. It brings to mind that technology has increased so drastically within the past few decades that we’ve gone from messaging someone within 1-2 weeks to 1-2 minutes. It only goes to show how much further we can go in even just our lifetime, and makes us wonder what will come next in the way of communicating with one another and bringing our world ever slightly closer together.

• The video is short but taught me a lot information that I don’t know before. It was really surprised me that a week’s worth of New York Times contains more information than a person was likely to come across in a lifetime in 18th century. Although I know that we are starting living in an age of big data, it still shocked me that there are 8 zettabytes of new unique new data created worldwide in 2015. I can’t even image how fast the world is changing as well as the new technologies are inventing every single day.

• I found 2 most interesting facts after watching the video.One is how Facebook has over 1.55 billion active users monthly and if Facebook were a country, it will be the world’s largest. I can’t never imagine that many active users just in one social media, even larger than China population. The second interesting fact I found is how Candy Crush is still popular to this day with 7.6 million users per day and 225 million users per month. I thought Candy Crush is out of date but seeing that many users is surprising me.

• The one fact that really resonated with me was the way the four different generations preferred communication methods (Traditionalist, Baby Boomer, Gen X, Millennial). It is evident in my relationships with co-workers and my parents. I work alongside my father (baby boomer) who prefers using the phone as a means of communication while protesting text messages. My mother would be considered a “silver surfer” who has abandoned certain baby boomer characteristics in favor of texting and has adapted to technology. The advancement in technology has showed how some older generations are able to easily adapt and some struggle to adapt. Given the rapid development of technology, it will be imperative for all generations to adapt our developing technology.

• There are a few facts that are interesting to me, First, how far behind American children are from other countries. Although the other countries population is way more than America, the number of honor students is disturbingly small. Another interesting thing is that Facebook would be the largest country if it were a country, even though it’s only 12 years old. That is funny to me, yet I am not surprised. It is amazing that we are preparing students now for jobs and advancement in technologies that are currently not invented yet. Americans just need step up the game in education.

• There were a few facts that I found interesting about the video. First was that 1 in 6 relationships today started on facebook and that a majority of relationships end in divorce also because of facebook. I thought this was interesting because there use to be a time when people enjoyed meeting others in public and getting to know a person by spending physical time with them. Now it seems that we are so used to technology that we can actually meet and fall in love with someone by just communicating online with them before actually meeting in person. Another fact I found interesting was the fact that technology is so rapidly improving that schools are teaching students skills needed to problem solve problems that are not even problems yet and preparing them for jobs that are not even created yet. This was interesting because it shows that technology is something that we have become so dependent on and that is changing everyday.

• The most interesting fact that I saw in this video was about how large the populations of India and China are in comparison to North America. Along with the population size, the video also pointed out how advanced those two nations are from an educational standpoint by saying India and China have more “honors” students than we do total students. I think that it is important for the United States to advance in education along with nations like India and China.

• I think it is very interesting that this is the first point in time that four generations: traditionalist, baby boomer, gen-x, and millennial, are working together side by side. I feel this would make firms and companies better decision makers as they have the view points of different-minded individuals, and each generation has strengths and weaknesses. While traditionalists may not seem well versed in modern technology, their life experience and knowledge of the world are very valuable assets.

• I found many of the facts in this video very interesting, but one that really caught my eye was how advanced in education China and India are than the U.S. They have more honors students than the U.S. does with students in general. It’s amazing how these students are being prepared for jobs that don’t even exist yet. It is crucial for the U.S. to make some advances in eduction as compared to India and China. Also, It is crazy how much can change year after year and this video really shows how advanced modern day human beings are compared to past generations.

• What I found most interesting about the video was the fact that, new technical information doubles every year. I know older engineers who say that their degrees from a decade ago are basically useless because they didn’t keep up with the changes in technology. The video mentioned that, half of what college students who are majoring in technical field learn during their first year will outdated by their third year. Technology is always changing so people in the technical field almost always have to continue their learning after college. People in the technical field can never really follow a fixed set of learnings and if they choose not to evolve with technology their degree will end up being useless in a matter of years.

• What I found to be the most interesting fact within the video was the fact that today’s learners are being groomed to operate future technologies that have yet to be developed. I have two children who are almost at the age to begin school and it is very interesting to know that they will learn to use futuristic technologies and answer questions that are inconceivable at the present moment. However exciting this is to hear, this also begs the question of whether or not, as their father, that I will be able to keep up with them and aid them in their studies.

• The theory that today’s learner will have held 10-14 jobs by the age 38 is interesting. I am 28 and have held a full-time job at four different companies. I enjoy my job but my goal is to further my career so there is the possibility that I will achieve at least 10 different jobs by the time I am 38. I feel that number is high which could show that businesses are unable to retain long term employees, or that people are changing with the technology by being replaced by more automated systems or people are furthering their careers through education and experience.

• I actually found a lot of things interesting about this video that was filled with so many facts. It’s amazing at which rate we are growing in population and how technology is growing with us. Technology makes things spread so much quicker. The way Facebook is so popular and has so many users when Facebook didn’t come out that long ago but I feel like everyone has an account. Even my grandparents have learned how to use the computer and signed themselves up for a Facebook account. It is amazing at the rate we are progressing and also in the video it said we are teaching kids for jobs that haven’t been created yet and teaching them to resolve problems that haven’t occurred yet.

• I found the fact that one weeks worth of New York Times contains more information than a person in the 18th century would come across in their lifetime. This just shows how dependent we are on instant news and connectivity to the world. Technology and information moves forward at such an astonishing rate that if people are not connected almost all the time they will be left behind.

• Every fact presented in this video was interesting. However, I found the ‘1 in 5 divorces are blamed on Facebook’ fact to be very strange and scary. As time goes on, social media use will only increase, I’m sure. I find it sad and alarming that it causes so many rifts in relationships to the point that it’s the blame for many divorces. Its a factor that did not exist years ago, but it’s become part of many peoples lifestyles.

• Honestly, i found a number of facts to be very interesting when it came to data, however the idea that candy crush saga makes $830,000 per day and $230,000,000 pretty amazing. This video does a good job of jamming a large number of statistics into one brief video to give the viewers a quick realization of just how much things have changed in the last decade. Since technology is moving at such a rapid rate and we are now taking in and processing so much more information on a daily basis in comparison to old times, it isn’t that surprising to hear that some people are choosing to technically get a degree in a specific field whose jobs aren’t even available yet.

• I found this video to be pretty interesting. I was surprised that on average people will go through 10-14 jobs by the age of 38, I pictured that number much lower. I also find it cool and surprising on how much technology is transforming and that there will be so many job openings for it, some that aren’t even around yet. So many parts of this video surprised me, like how many self driving cars we will have on the roads within 4 years. It is not surprising how much google is used though. It’s crazy to think that we are growing up in an era where technology is being revolutionized each and every day.

• The video gives insights into the age we’re living in – the age of rapid technological growth. Technology influences us tremendously, in terms of communication, education, administration, etc. One piece of information that stands out to me when watching the clip was that there will be more new jobs that we’ve never thought of, and this completely changes the purpose of today’s education. Learners can no longer rely on educational system to prepare for the future; they have to prepare themselves and orient themselves to the right direction.

• I found the YouTube video “Did You Know” to be very interesting and informative. I found the fact that the 25% of the population of China with the highest IQ’s is greater than the total population of North America. The statistic of the number of babies being born in the U.S, China and India was an interesting perspective and visual of the growing population. The evolution and changes in technology and society are very apparent and was demonstrated by the statistic of the top jobs in demand barley existed 10 years ago. I also found it interesting that they showed how things might be like in the future such as 10 million self-driving cars will be on the road by 2020. Technology is a tool that most people use everyday and the video demonstrated different ways technology affects us everyday and will affect us in the future.

• I thought this video was eye-opening in the myriad of different interesting facts it displayed. Most interesting for me, as a student who would like to pursue international marketing, was the rapid rate at which the population of India and China are growing. While still developing nations, they are sure to be two highly consequential economies in the next decades to come. I have an interest in e-commerce so large entities like Alibaba and other online platforms intrigue me. I can only imagine the vast stores of data that Alibaba holds and how valuable their big data really is! MIS must be crucial to these companies as millions of shoppers have access to their online stores daily.

• What I found to be really intriguing is the preparation for the upcoming generations. Our society is literally training young minds to take over at a faster pace, broadening their minds to all types of possibilities, so that when the technology becomes available they have taste for it. A hunger for advancement and creation through a data driven society. Another important detail about this video is how the internet revolutionized communication, entertainment, and the social lifestyle for the whole world. Information is so easily available this day in age, and how it far surpasses the way information used to travel just 20 years ago.