MIS 2101.730 – Courtney Minich – Spring 2018

Weekly Post #1

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on January 25, 2018. Your response only needs to be about three or four sentences. These weekly questions should reinforce class discussions, readings and show some insight.  

Hint: If you sign into the site using your AccessNet ID and password you won’t have to fill in the name, email and captcha fields when you leave your comment.

Thinking about your current major and career goals, how do you see MIS fitting into your career?  How will an understanding of Management Information Systems enable your success?

25 Responses to Weekly Post #1

• This question poses a different meaning for me. I am in my 30s and already have a career in information technologies. Information systems have become the backbone of the world. What used to be card catalogs and filing cabinets have become robust databases that can query millions of records in seconds. Analytics is a also a large part of these systems and user data mining is what allows Snapchat, Facebook and Twitter to provider content rich user experiences at no monetary cost to the user.

Recognizing the usefulness of information systems is what lead me on my career path. I am currently s manager of information systems of Radiology for Temple University Health system. The usefulness is limitless and the benefit in incalculable.

• Im a HR major and also a full time employee at a large investment firm, As our records are on computers, we have to safeguard our clients date and investments, as well as our employee records and information. After graduation, I will move out of the investment professional role and more into the HR side. I am hoping this class will help me be more instrumental in suggesting new ways to secure our employee information in regards to smart retention practices.

• I’m a Partner in a 1st Party / 3rd Party collections company. MIS is a critical element of my current career. Examples of how I use MIS include: pricing work, analytics to identify opportunities and hazards within work, performance reporting, and client reporting. I see this class as an exciting opportunity to better my understanding of how to use MIS as a tool — I’m also excited about opportunity to learn new technologies.

• I am an accounting major. Management Information Systems are essential in the carrier of an accountant. MIS are highly used for accounting operations and financial reports, plus it enables to store a large amount of data. I hope this class will give me an opportunity to better understand the use of MIS and will give me a chance to achieve a high level of efficiency in company’s operations.

• I am currently an HR major and I work for Abington Hospital in the area of reception and medical records. We have an online system for filing patient medical records and with HIPAA being an integral part of patient care it is crucial that proper management of these systems is in place. Even emails containing certain information are expected to be encrypted. After completion of my degree I plan on remaining in the hospital setting so this course will serve as a better understanding of the forces at work behind these systems and hopefully a better understanding of ways they can be improved or better implented. MIS is a tool that serves all areas of business especially with the growing technological world and I am eager to learn about such an evolving field.

• Since technology literally changes on a daily bases, getting a head start or leg up on some is always helpful. I have been out of school for awhile and I would like to finish up my BA and go on for my MBA. I am currently an Exelon employee and would like to further my career opportunities. We are constantly brainstorming on how to save on man power and other resources, so having a better understanding of MIS could definitely benefit in these discussions.

• Currently, I work full time for a major University in the City of Philadelphia, and I am pursuing a Business Administration Degree at the Fox School of Business. I think success has different meanings for different people, however, my aim and or propose is to fully understand how human capital software packages and patient management software packages influence our culture. The security of this information has taken precedence around the globe, and has developed into an intricate portion of MIS. The understanding of the marriage between software and hardware remains vital to my success as well. Management Information systems can enable my success by exposing me to what is required to attain the position of Director of an MIS department.

• As a Legal Studies major on the road to law school, I find the comprehension of MIS crucial to my success as a future corporate lawyer. In a buisness atmosphere, my collegaues and I will be exposed to the various forms of feedback computed by MIS. With this information, the company as a whole will have the ability to strategically critique the sources that play into the report – creating a more productive work place. The overall system operation will allow me to access and extract imformation that is valuable to my niche at the company, making me an efficient asset to the company.

• At the moment, I work as a retail consultant for AT&T. My goal is to move up within the company or any other telecommunication or media & entertainment company. MIS as i understand is the gathering, processing and storing of data/information. In my field, this information can be used to enhance operations and sales and thus increasing productivity. I see MIS becoming more prevalent in the work place and attractive to employers because it gives us a better undersatanding as to how and why things are happening in business.

• Currently, I work full time as a NC Real Estate Agent. It is through this job that I discovered my love for marketing. I am pursuing the OBBA with a specialization in marketing. Especially in this day in age I think it is incredibly important to understand how to beneficially leverage information technology. As a young real estate professional the technology gap between the generations in my field is bluntly apparent. The people who are leading the industry are those who use technology to their advantage. As an independent contractor it is up to myself to learn these systems in order to advance my business.

• As a Marketing student, I think MIS plays a very important role in Marketing department. MIS provides important tools for Marketing managers to market their products in the digital world. Now days almost everything is run by technology, it is very important to understand how the technology works and how to use it to our advantage. The people who have an understanding of MIS are more likely to succeed in their professional lives.

• I work in Human Resources and am finding that every day our need for and reliance on technological systems and processes increases. It’s interesting to hear from some of my colleagues that have been with my company for 30+ years that “this is not how we have done things.” It is evident that how things were done no longer works in today’s higher paced and constantly changing environment. In HR specifically we focus on the systems and technology that allow us to reach the right job seekers. We also utilize information systems to track performance, plan for staffing needs, and maintain personnel files, among many other things.

• I am currently an online BBA student and a full-time employee in the healthcare field. I see MIS currently fitting into my career because the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has certain policies in place regarding a patient’s protected health information, electronic health records and rights to privacy, and they expect healthcare providers to be in compliance with these policies in an ever-changing “cyberworld”. So, as a short-term goal, I hope to gain a better understanding of the background and the idea of MIS in order to help me bring new concepts and information to my team. As a long-term goal, I hope it helps in my next step towards a Health Information Management or Healthcare Administration degree after the BBA program.

• So far I think an understanding of MIS will help me in my career by understanding how to make and utilize a digital identity that will attract future employers. I also think that this digital identity will help me network and advance my access to business professionals. In the future I feel that understanding digital identities will help me while I’m selecting candidates for a position and conducting interviews as a hiring manager.

• I am currently in supply chain and I see MIS fitting into my everyday life. Everything is so wrapped up in technology these days. I currently work in retail, and brick and mortar business are trying their hardest to stay afloat. These days everyone shops online, so the companies I’ve worked for are competing with technology. The current company is piloting a program to not use registers anymore, and just yesterday we had all 10 devices go down, and a register go down. Understanding the processes behind information systems is helpful, so when I am stuck with a line of 10+ people and no technology that works, I can try and understand corporate’s reasoning from straying away from technology that works most of the time vs almost none of the time.

• I am majoring in Accounting and work in Accounts Receivable for a technology company in New Jersey. Management information systems have become a part of my everyday life. Gaining a deeper understanding of these systems will allow me to improve on existing processes and identify other areas where they might be utilized.

• MIS serves as a vital role in my current career in the land surveying industry. The first company I worked for was a large home builder who would order plot plans daily. Plot plans are required to be submitted to townships for the issuance of a building permit. Without a building permit, construction cannot be started. When I originally started at this company, plot plans would be requested through an email from a project manager. There were many flaws in this workflow, as requests would sometimes be missed or not started in the order they came in. In addition, orders would miss specific details causing delays in the plot plan creation, thus delaying construction and future settlement. The company hired a business / system analyst to come in and find a solution; that they did. They created an order management system which served as liaison between the project manager and the plot plan coordinator. The system improved the turnaround time from plot plan request to township submission by 4 days. This is a key example of how MIS serves as a vital role in my current career.

MIS is about identifying or creating systems through technology that will improve efficiency and communication in a business. Understanding that proper execution of MIS will positively benefit revenue is important to every business today. MIS will help me succeed by keeping me aware that there are always ways to create systems through technology to improve workflow or reach an end goal more efficiently.

• When we discussed MIS in our first week of class we defined it as the study of people, technology, and organizations. The goal of an MIS professional is to decipher how people use technology within their business to better the company. I’m currently an outside sales representative for an organization that manufactures wire and cable assemblies. My job is basically to go out and meet with people and explain to them how our products can help their company. It directly relates to the topics that MIS is concerned with and I think I have a great opportunity to learn and apply information taught in this class. That being said, I don’t know if I plan on staying in my current profession, but there are obviously countless jobs where MIS can be applied. People and technology are the backbone of organizations and with technology growing so rapidly I think this field of study will continue to gain popularity and become a focus for many students. In developing an understanding of MIS we are giving ourselves an advantage on how to improve businesses and people who have this type of knowledge will always be of value to all organizations.

• I am currently an Strategic Lead Account Manger at an office furniture company called Knoll. We manage projects all over the globe and we do so by using a business system that was created to be Y2K complaint. It both looks and preforms like something that was created back in 1999. MIS is currently playing a very large part in my current career. About 5 years ago they started creating a system call “One Knoll” which is a completely new business system that will transform the way that we manage our accounts. . We are at the tail end of the design phase and they are planning go live within the next year. Understanding MIS will help me in my career because it will help me understand the process that was used to create this system and what I can do to help potentially upgrade it.

• I am currently a full time online BBA student and a full time employee in retail banking. At the branch level, Management Information Systems are a vital piece that helps employees and executive understand business trends, increase profits, and sustain reports for both the customers and employees. Successful MIS databases will provide information such as, potential sale opportunities to offer clients, recognize an sudden influx on account balances, automatic payments or balances going negative resulting in fees. Furthermore, MIS secures confidential information that must remain secure to protect customer information. In my current career path, having a firm understanding of MIS will assist me in innovating potential updates and suggest new systems that will evolve the workplace environment and promote a positive customer experience.

• I am currently an online BBA student and a full time hospitality employee. I have been working in this field for over 7 years and I do feel very confident about my operational skills. However, my goal is to advance in this career onto administrative positions. MIS will be a great help on identifying, analyzing and detailing a resolution for any customer or employee related problem.

• MIS is the new way business is done. Regardless of major or career field it is now essential to have an understanding of what it is. Going for accounting MIS are always changing to make the data received more useful to companies. It is sued on a daily basis in the accounting field.
    An understanding of MIS will give me an advantage over my peers who did not study it in the workplace. I will have a foundation and understanding of the types of systems and have some familiarity to make a transition into a new position easier. It will allow me to comprehend data given by these systems easier making me more efficient.

• I am a part time online BBA student while working full time. With what we talked about last week I believe this class will be one of the most important ones I take in the path for my degree. Information systems are one of the most important things in any business and since I plan to be a manager, I would want to use what it best to get the job done. Understanding MIS will prove itself most helpful for my career goals in doing my job the best I can. Since most businesses use MIS, understanding it will be one of the key things in correctly managing at a company. Being able to analyse systems and use them to their limit is invaluable.

• I am a traditional college student coming straight out of high school and am currently an intern at a small non profit women’s health center in West Philadelphia. I work on the fundraising team and have been teaching myself how to glean information from our database that will help us to focus our fundraising efforts better. I believe that gaining an understanding an MIS will begin to help me right away to logically process the data that I am given and perhaps understand what systems are helpful in deciphering the data. I hope to continue working in non profit organizations and look forward to implementing the knowledge I will gain in this class in whatever career I find myself in.

• I currently work with databases in SAP everyday. Right away it appears that this class will better help me manage the data that I work with. Looking ahead in class the idea of being better organized should help me succeed in my current career as a data analyst. I have tools available to me such as Microsoft Visio that I hope to be better able to utilize with knowledge gained from this MIS course.