Welcome to MIS2502 Data Analytics Section 001. I am the course instructor Alvin.
Here, you will find all course materials we use for this course, including syllabus, slide decks, assignments, in-class exercises etc. Welcome and have fun!
Here is the Syllabus of MIS2502 Data Analytics Section 001.
Class Location and Time:
Alter Hall 231 9:00am – 9:50am, Monday, Wednesday and Friday
On the web: http://community.mis.temple.edu/mis2502sec001s17
Office Hours (Speakman 201F):
Monday: 10:00am –11:00am
Wednesday: 2:00pm — 3:00pm
The course provides a foundation for designing database systems and analyzing business data to enhance firm competitiveness. Concepts introduced in this course aim to develop an understanding of the different types of business data, various analytical approaches, and application of these approaches to solve business problems. Students will have hands-on experience with current, cutting-edge tools such as MySQL and R.
- Articulate the key components of an organizations’ information infrastructure.
- Create data models based on business rules.
- Create a transactional database from a model using SQL.
- Create an analytical data store by extracting relevant data from a transactional database.
- Perform extract, transform, load (ETL) functions such as data sourcing, pre-processing, and cleansing.
- Discover trends in analytical data stores using the data mining techniques of clustering, segmentation, association, and decision trees.
- Present data visually for clear communication to a managerial audience.