Amazon Go – Amazon.com (https://www.amazon.com/b?node=16008589011#)
Banking’s Precarious Position – Less Branch Customers – NBR (http://nbr.com/2013/04/11/bankings-precarious-position-less-branch-customers/)
Firms Replacing Derivatives Traders with Algorithms – Bloomberg (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/b/47459f6d-644e-4db4-bf14-84be53c81b40)
Fully Automated Restaurant – CNET (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1o4Y-92k8Q)
Robot Journalists – The Daily Show (http://www.cc.com/video-clips/fh76l0/the-daily-show-with-trevor-noah-robot-journalists)
Self-Driving Truck Makes First Shipment – CNNMoney (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOPwq8WZB6c)
Technology Kills Middle Class Jobs – AP (http://www.usatoday.com/media/cinematic/video/1857519/ap-analysis-technology-kills-middle-class-jobs/)
What Will Future Jobs Look Like by Andrew McAfee – TED (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXQrbxD9_Ng)
World Business – Legal Outsourcing – YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbCKYLu8Xmg#!)
Read “Will Humans Go the Way of Horses” articles from Foreign Affairs and write answers to the following questions in no more than 200 words.
- How do the authors (Brynjolfsson and McAfee) compare humans to horses?
- What are the advantages of humans vis-a-vis machines?
- What are the authors’ policy proposals?
The article is available at https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/2015-06-16/will-humans-go-way-horses and free upon registration.
- What’s “jobless recovery”? Why is this happening?
- Why has the median family income not been rising while GDP was growing rapidly for the past 20 years?
- What’s “skill mismatch”? Why is this happening?
- What kind of jobs are more vulnerable to technology development?
- What kind of jobs are relatively immune to technology development?
- What would you say to your children about the impact of technology on jobs?
- What would you say to your kid’s school principal about it?
- What would you say to President Trump about it?
- What would you say to yourself about it?
Department Stores Are in a Death Spiral – TIME (http://time.com/money/4623760/department-stores-struggle-macys-kohls-sears-amazon/)
Identifying the Long Tail by Chris Anderson – FORA.tv (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yku0GTrcuw)
Mad Money Features Betterment – CNBC (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG9vgiYekiA)
- What happened to EJ?
- Why is an online reputation system needed?
- What is Airbnb’s plan to facilitate safe transactions?
- What bottleneck do Amazon.com and Netflix eliminate?
- What is a Long Tail?
- Why could Betterment and Wealthfront be disruptive?
- Why are Uber and Airbnb disruptive?
- What are the examples of one-sided network effects?
- What are the examples of two-sided network effects?
- Why do men pay more at a night club than women?
- What happend to EJ? How serious is this incident to Airbnb?
- What are the examples of online reputation systems in other platforms?
- What are the policies in Uber to manage the pool of drivers?
- Should Airbnb actually find out hosts who racially discriminate and ban them from participating the platform?
Read Ch. 10, 11, and 18 of “The Adventures of an IT Leader” and write answers to the following questions in no more than 200 words.
- What happened at IVK on Thursday, June 28 (Ch. 10)?
- What are the three recovery plans? What is Mr. Barton’s recommendation and why does he recommend it (Ch. 10 and 11)?
- What is Mr. Williams’ decision? How does he use a poker analogy to justify his decision (Ch. 11 and 18)?
- If you were Mr. Barton, how would you explain the situation in Chapter 10 to your CEO, Mr. Carl Williams, in English?
- If you were Mr. Barton, how would you explain the situation in Chapter 10 to Wall Street analysts you’re scheduled to meet today?
- What do we know for sure? What are the things that we are not sure?
- Did an attacker or attackers intrude inside of IVK’s systems?
- Why do you think this happened? If the security upgrade project was funded and completed, could IVK have prevented this completely?
- What are the roles of board of directors in a business?
- What would happen if a CIO or IT managers receive no adult supervision or control? What if he/she can handle IT in any way he/she wants?
- What should be among the preventative policies and procedures for a failure due to personal devices?
- What are the three recovery options that IVK IT group is considering?
- What are the reasons to disclose the security incidents? What would be the reasons not to disclose?
- Why has Mr. Williams decided to do nothing and not to disclose the incident? What was his thinking?
Read Ch. 4, 5, and 8 of “The Adventures of an IT Leader” and write answers to the following questions in no more than 200 words (for all four questions, not for each).
- What is the funding mechanism for IT at IVK? What is a chargeback? (Ch. 4)
- What are the concepts of “Competes vs. Qualifiers” and IT Strategic Grid (Ch. 5)
- Why has Mr. John Cho’s request for IT security funding been being denied? (Ch. 8)
- Why had Mr. Davies, the former IVK CIO, had to set up a slush fund? How? (Ch. 8)
- What are the enterprise goal areas in VWoA’s “Next Round of Growth” (NRG)?
- Who participates in the decision processes to decide which project to fund at VWoA?
- What are the three investment types of IT projects?
- How much do you think Otis has spent in Otisline and e*Logistics? How can we justify such a large amount of investments?
- What are the business benefits of Otisline?
- Who provides the IT budget at IVK? On what basis do the business units at IVK pay for IT?
- Why had Mr. Davies, the former CIO, have to set up “slush funds”? How did he secure the slash funds?
- Why is Mr. John Cho requesting an immediate funding on IT security? Why has the request for IT security funding kept being denied?
- Do you know why there is no group assignment in this course?
- What are the examples of Prisoner’s Dilemma in our daily or business life?
- What does Maggie, Mr. Barton’s girlfriend/consultant, mean by “one neck in the noose”?
- How would you evaluate the IT funding process at VWoA? Is it better than the current process at IVK? How?