Design Inquiry and Research: Fall 2015

Creating an INFORMATION EXCHANGE for your projects

DO YOU REALIZE WE HAVE A LIBRARY OF NEARLY 150 USER INTERVIEWS ON THE BUS SYSTEM?

THAT IS A LOT OF VALUABLE INFORMATION!

To facilitate your MAPPING assignments and to make your project research better and easier, I am proposing we SHARE this research and use this blog post as an information exchange.

How it will work:

1.  If , you need additional information not in your own research/interviews, POST a comment to this post requesting information from your peers such as:  “Does anyone have information about rider or driver frustration about bus payment systems?”  Be as specific as possible.

2.  All of you should REVIEW the comments posted.

3.  Anyone who sees a request for information that they have should RESPOND:  “My interview #3 on Jane has information about payment.”

4.  Go to the shared Google drive and access the interview in that person’s folder.  COPY the file.  READ the interview.  EXTRACT the relevant quote or data.

5. MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT ERASE/ALTER THE ORIGINAL FILE.

Be a team player.  This will only work if you are willing to give and not just receive information.

Good luck!

James

72 Responses to Creating an INFORMATION EXCHANGE for your projects

• Hi Classmates,

I am looking for a few research points:

1. Information regarding rider’s frustration about seating (or lack thereof) on the bus?

2. Information regarding rider or driver frustration about bus payment systems?

3. Information regarding navigating the bus route? I.E. how does the rider know (or not know) which route to take? What do they use to tell them how to navigate the bus route?

Please direct me to your interviews – thanks!

• Hi Jessica,

My Interview #1 briefly discusses how the young woman figures out the bus route (google maps).

• Hey Jessica,
      In one of my interviews with a bus driver he discussed his frustration with passengers using counterfeit passes. Not sure if this would help or not since it’s pretty specific but I can e-mail it to you if you want! Let me know!

• Jessica,
      My interviews 2 and 3 touch on frustrations with the Septa app and navigating the bus system.

• Jessica,

My first interview (with Andy) describes his frustrations associated with bus seat availability. It also describes how Andy navigates the bus routes and what he would do to improve SEPTA’s current route and schedule system.

My second interview (with Terry) explains how a veteran bus driver thinks the bus schedules on SEPTA’s website and those posted at bus shelters influence people’s decisions regarding whether to ride SEPTA’s buses. Terry compares the affect of the schedule’s complexity on frequent bus passengers to individuals that rarely ride the bus. She also discussed how she is trained to deal with passengers that refuse to pay the fare.

My third interview (with Matt) describes an undergraduate student’s frustrations regarding the complexity of SEPTA’s online bus schedules and routes. Matt explains that the current system deters him from riding the bus more frequently. The interview also discusses his frustrations with respect to bus passengers occupying vacant seats.

I hope this information helps.

– Mike Hatton

• Hi Mike,

Do you mind sharing your first and third interviews? It would help if I had a quotes related to passenger frustrations.

• My bus summary #1 includes confusion with bus schedules.

• Hi Jessica,

My interview with “Marion”, a senior citizen, gives some insight on the driver frustrations about bus payment systems

• Hey Jessica,

My interview on Janet touches on #1 briefly.

• My interview #1 talks about frustrations with payment systems

• Does anyone have information from their interviews concerning the use of bus depots for reasons other than waiting or riding the bus?

• Hello class,

Does anyone have information concerning stakeholders wanting more user-friendly educational tools for using the bus?

• Also, does anyone have information about safety (specifically in terms of safety on a bus vs in a car)?

• Hey guys,

Can anyone point me to specific interviews that meet these 1 of these 3 categories?
    -people that ride the bus out of a pure need (have no other option when getting around)
    -people that want to ride the bus, they get enjoyment out of it and have a reason they chose it over other forms of transportation
    -people that don’t ride the bus at all

Thanks!

• Angi,

My 2nd and 3rd interviews are both with people that ride the bus out of need. One is a single mother that can’t afford a car and the other is an elderly gentleman that can no longer drive due to health problems.

• Angi –
      Take a look at my “Susan” interview for your bullet point.

• Angi,

My bus summary #2 discusses a bit about a woman who rides it mostly out of need. Her husband has a car, but he’s at work during the day so she has to get around on the bus.

• I am actually looking for similar content to finalize.Thanks all for replying. Angi, if you still are in search of additional details, please advise.

• My interview #1 is with someone who doesn’t ride the bus at all, and #3 is with someone who rides bus out of need

• Angi, Also my #3 interview is about a girl who likes taking the bus because she has a routine and she rides with work friends and listens to music and really enjoys how worry-free and ‘mindless’ it is.

• Hey Angi,

My interview # 3 is about someone who has to use the bus as her only method of transpo.

Also, does anyone have any good quotes about any of the following?

-the bus being late/on time
    – interaction with the driver/other passengers
    -payment system?

Thanks!

• Hi Angi – my interview #3 is about a man who only rides the bus (no license). My interview #1 is with someone who rarely rides the bus (once a year).

Hi Caroline – my interview #2 discusses a fight my interviewee got into with a bus driver.

• My Interview # 1 has discussion with the manager of olney bus terminal, where he talks about how he manages his staff and the vision for the future. Let me know in case you need some information.

• @Angi – My interview #3 talks about a person who enjoy travelling on bus. He doesn’t talk about if he prefers bus over other transportation system though.

• Hi Angi,

My interview#1 talks about a person who enjoys travelling in the bus and he articulates the reasons for his preference of the bus transport system over other public transports.

• Hi Angi,

My interview#1 talks about a person who enjoys travelling in the bus and he articulates the reasons for his preference of the bus transport system over other public transport.

• Hi Angie- For my last interview I chose to interview the class through the medium of survey.
    It will answer some part of your last question(-people that don’t ride the bus at all)

Also my Interview #2 titled “Bharat the Indian guy” gives a perspective of a person who is from outside the USA.Its gives an understanding of how he compares the public mode of transportation in his country with that of Philadelphia i.e. SEPTA.It also illustrates the pros and cons associated with SEPTA.

Hope this helps all!
    Do let me know if you need any more information.

• Hi everyone,
    Does anyone have any interviews that touch on:
    1. a particularly good or bad experience had by someone who rarely rides the bus
    2. a particularly good or bad experience had by someone who rides the bus often
    3. the routine of someone who rides the bus often

Thanks!

• Colleen,

My first interview (with Andy) discusses a particularly bad experience an infrequent bus passenger had while riding the bus. The experience Andy discussed describes a situation where an elderly woman needed help exiting the bus, but no one on the bus was willing to assist her.

My third interview (with Matt) discusses an undergraduate’s routine, during which he road the bus from Temple to Bala Cynwyd. However, I’m not sure if you would categorize Matt as a frequent bus rider.

– Mike

• Hi Colleen,

My bus summary #3 discusses a bad experience by someone who rarely rides the bus.

• Colleen

If you look at my interviews “Danielle” and “Michael” they both detail bad experiences they had while riding the bus. Both people regularly ride the bus and the stories touch on their routines more so in the “Danielle” story.

Good luck!
      Tom

• Hey Colleen,

You can look at my interview with Sasha

• Colleen,

Take a look at my interview #3. It was with a girl who was new to Philadelphia and had to change her bus routine out of fear for her safety. She no longer rides the bus at night despite that being the most economical option.

• Colleen my interview #1 discusses someone who rarely rode the bus and after having a bad experience on the bus no longer rides it at all.

• Does anyone have an interview with a bus driver that deals with his/her frustrations?

• Lauren,

My second interview (with Terry) subtly discusses a veteran bus driver’s frustrations. Terry wants to retire as soon as possible, but she doesn’t think SEPTA will offer her a package of benefits that would allow her to do so anytime soon. She also describes how SEPTA trains bus drivers to deal with passengers that refuse to pay the fare. She seemed frustrated when she explained that she has been taught to refrain from confronting them. The monotony of Terry’s long hours also seemed to frustrate her.

I hope this helps.

– Mike Hatton

• Here are my interviews:
    Peggy DeAngelo
    Septa Interviews
    8/20/2015

For my interviews, I spoke with one person who took Septa religiously, then stopped once he got a car. I spoke with another person who took Septa occasionally but no longer does because he lives mainly in New Jersey. I spoke with an attorney who deals with a lot of Septa cases about why Septa is named in so many suits. Finally, I spoke with a young woman who refuses to take Septa after an incident 3 years ago.

Evan:

Evan has lived in Philadelphia for 9 years, and has taken Septa from the beginning. He works at an insurance agency in the suburbs, and used septa 5 days a week (2010-2015) to commute to work in Bala Cynwynd. He would occasionally use septa to get to the suburbs and airport. Prior to this, Evan attended the University of Pennsylvania and used Septa far less.

In 2008, Evan obtained a car. He continued to use Septa to save money on gas and parking but would occasionally drive. He did so because it cut his commute time in half.

On one occasion, Evan had a particularly poor experience with Septa which sparked him to get a car. There was a snow storm several years ago. He was concerned that the buses may stop running. He continued to check Septa’s website and called customer service to verify. Evan says the website state that at least an hour’s notice would be provided if the buses were to stop running. His office ended up closing at noon and before he left, there was no communication on the website indicating the buses had stopped running. He walked to the bus stop where there were about 10 other people waiting in the snow storm. Approximately 45 minutes passed with no buses. Finally, an ‘off duty’ bus drove by, opened the door, and told everyone that the buses had stopped running. Evan found this extremely rude because the driver could have offered to drive the customers wherever he was going because they were clearly stuck. However, he kept on driving without looking back, leaving the potential passengers in the snow.

Now (2015) Evan rarely uses Septa. He does so exclusively on weekends and nights, averaging about once per week. In the past month, Evan has moved to a new apartment that has a dedicated, covered parking spot. He drives to work every day because of the convenience and the shorter commute. It also allows him to be more flexible and dictate his own schedule. He can run errands before and after work, which was not really feasible with Septa.

Evan and I talked about some things he wished Septa offered. For instance he mentioned Septa does have an app to track bus locations, but it often does not work properly. He says it would be nice to have real time information so that he didn’t need to wait outside in inclement weather until the bus arrived. He said more frequent service to and from the airport would be helpful, as well as extending the hours. He loves the $8 fair to the airport, and believes increased service would encourage more riders and less traffic congestion around the airport.

Evan also discussed the Market Frankford and Broad Street bus lines. He believes they are the best options for reliable service, but that they are often not convenient in that they do not serve all parts of the city. He believes bus rapid transit would improve convenience. Further, he believes the fare system needs to be modernized. He thinks people need the ability to purchase fares at each and every bus stop using cash or card. The fact that attendants at the station cannot make change is completely absurd to him, and one of the more frustrating things about Septa. He knows new payment technology is in the process of being implemented (he has seen new turnstiles on certain buses), but the communication and education on this technology has been awful. The website vaguely mentions that it will be rolled out in 2015, but left Evan with many question: “When exactly will it be rolled out? What date will it change and how long will the transition period be? Will there be signs and machines installed? How will the general ridership know what to do, and how to pay?” In the meantime, it is very confusing because there are new turnstiles which cannot be used.

On the more positive side, Evan believes Septa does a good job making sure most locations are served, even if service is infrequent or requires multiple transfers. He sees a major problem with Septa being the layout of Philadelphia. He says the streets are narrow, which makes it difficult to create dedicated bus lanes. Chestnut Street does have a dedicated bus lane, but it also serves as a right-hand turning lane for cars as well as a bike lane. Ultimately, Evan says, this defeats the purpose and does not really help anyone; cars have to move in o the lane and cut off bikes, bikes have to move into the left lane and go around stopped buses, and busses will end up moving into the left lane to avoid slow bikes. To the extent possible, Evan believes Septa should work with the street department to promote or lobby for dedicated lanes for bikes, cars, and buses so each mode of transit can move as efficiently as possible. He wants the city to rethink how Septa can use some of the wider streets in the city (i.e. 22nd St., Washington Ave, Columbus Blvd, etc.). Some of those streets could most likely accommodate dedicated and separated lanes.

One final issue Evan sees is that most busses stop at every block. This causes headaches for cars and bikes, but also makes the bus journey take longer than they otherwise wold. While he understands the need to accommodate those with disabilities who cannot walk far, he believes a good compromise would be every other block. Perhaps even having certain buses designated as “express.”

Tom:

Tom has lived and worked in Philadelphia for 35 years. He is a member of the stagehand union, and has helped build many landmarks around the city. When he was younger, his father was a Septa driver. He used to give Tom change to ride the bus around the city. He says that some of his best memories were riding the bus for hours at a time when he was younger. Septa showed him the city; he was able to learn the neighborhoods on an intimate level. Septa was the city to Tom; but as he grew older and started using Septa for work, he realized how troubling some of their practices were

He has been taking Septa for at least 20 years on a semi-regular bases. He uses the bus system mainly for work, but also sporting events and concerts at times. Tom recently moved to New Jersey and stopped using Septa as much, despite having options to do so. He says that all the transfers are a huge inconvenience, and there is no reasonable place for him to park. Tom says one of the main reasons he moved from Philadelphia to New Jersey was because of the traffic and Septa congestion.

There is a train about 10 minutes from his house that would take him to a bus, which would drop him off within walking distance to his job. He says it’s not worth it becasuse of all the transfers and the lack of parking. He said if there was a bus that took him from New Jersey to Philadelphia he might take it if it didn’t stop as often as most Septa buses do. He claims the bus system adds at least an hour to his commute in the morning if he were to take it.

On one occasion, Tom was stranded at Wayne junction for over an hour. He said it was the middle of the summer, there was no air conditioning, and he ended up missing his friend’s wedding because of the delay. He said after that he did not trust Septa. He sees them as unreliable, and a risk to take if you are on a time schedule. Tom says he will never take Septa again for an important, time sensitive event.
    Another down side to taking Septa that Tom sees is the loud use of phones on the bus. He says one of the upsides of taking the bus is the ability to do work while you are waiting in traffic. However, with the loud use of cell phones, it is extremely distracting and he is unable to be productive. Tom wishes there was a stricter policy on phone use, but understands how difficult it is for a bus driver to pay enforce rules while he/she is driving.
    Tom does not carry cash on him- ever. He has been robbed at gunpoint on several occasions and has lost thousands of dollars. This is a huge problem for him because Septa does not currently accept credit cards. He often has to make a separate trip to the bank, or the ATM (where he gets charged a transaction fee) just to ride the bus. He says this is a huge inconvenience and a major deterrent for riding the bus. He wishes Septa accepted credit cards to prevent this inconvenience.
    Tom remembers Septa fondly. Septa is Philadelphia to him. It was his teacher, he social network, and his connector to the rest of the world. Today, Tom struggles with using Septa because it is only a functional necessity. It is no longer his access to the city. It is an inconvenience he has to plan for if he needs to use it.
    Ted:
    Ted is an attorney at a small law firm in Philadelphia. He has taken Septa off and on for about 10 years. He never uses it religiously for work or otherwise. Ted moves to apartments that are walking distance from where he works and socializes to avoid the inconvenience of Septa and traffic.
    Ted has a unique perspective on Septa because he often sues them. He is a personal injury attorney who has prosecuted Septa at least 30-40 times in his short career. He claims the biggest complaint against Septa is the drivers. Ted personally refuses to use Septa unless he absolutely has to after having seen so many injuries, including death, resulting from Septa drivers.
    Allegedly, Septa drivers do not have strong incentives to drive properly. According to Ted, drivers get a bonus for safe driving, but it is not sufficient enough to induce safe driving habits. Accidents occur mainly due to taking off too fast before passengers are seated, stopping abruptly at lights or stop signs, making improper turns, and general carelessness.
    Ted explains that the accidents occur to both passengers and bystanders as a result of poor driving. He says that Septa drivers cause more car accidents and resulting injuries within the city than any other vehicle collision. He blames this mostly on the quality of the drivers.
    Ted says that there is a Septa related accident at least once a day. Their injury statistics are frighteningly high, and nothing is being done about it. He says their training is subpar and there is no strong incentive to drive well, nor is there a real form of quality control. He says the best qualified people are not driving the buses due to a high turn –over rate and lack of training. He believes that higher standards and better bonuses for safe driving would improve these shortcomings, but does not see this happening any time soon.
    Nancy
    Nancy rides her bike everywhere. She used to take Septa, but after an incident 3 years ago, she will never step foot on a Septa bus again. Nancy was hit by a Septa bus while riding her bike. Despite wearing a helmet, her skull was fractured in three places. She was lucky to survive. The driver who hit her claimed it was not his fault. He claimed Nancy had cut him off. Nancy claims Septa had made an improper left turn and ran her over. She received a measly $500 settlement for the incident. She still has scars today.
    Nancy, and her other bike enthusiast friends, have all been hit by Septa buses at least once. I have been hit by a Septa bus while riding my bike. Most injuries are not substantial, but they occur nearly every day. Nancy says this is because buses and bikes often share a lane, ad because bus drivers are careless.
    Nancy and her friends have been pushing for bike only and bus only streets to prevent accidents like these from occurring. She said if the city agreed to this, it would be greatly beneficial to so many people- buses would have a more efficient route, bikers would be safer, and cars would not have to weave in and out of buses and bikes. They have been trying for several years, lobbying city government to implement these rules. She says they have made very little lee-way and don’t see this as a reality anytime soon.

• Hello Everyone,

I received feedback on my mapping assignment from Professor James today and he wants us to provide solid evidence to support our points so that these points and ideas can stand alone. The evidence may include data, facts, quotes, photos etc. that you may have gathered during your field research. It is better to include this evidence on the slide while preparing our maps. We should be able to assert our claims without receiving any counterclaims, in case we were asked to present our ideas to a SEPTA official.

Further to that, I would like to know if any of you have quotes/ photos/ customer experiences related to safety on the bus.

• Hi Sukruta,

Read my interview 3 – Rose. She was seriously injured while riding the bus. Although it doesn’t explicitly discuss issues of safety they are embedded in the interview

• Hello guys,

Does anyone have any interviews that focus on building a network or socializing opportunities in the bus.

Thanks!

• Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have an interview which talks explicitly about the demographics of the most frequent bus passengers?

Thanks!

• I was wondering if anyone has an interview focused on someone who regularly commutes on the bus.

• Hello everyone,

Does anyone have any information about:
    1) How special events like the Eagles or Phillies games, Pope coming to Philly, etc change the environment on SEPTA?
    2) Bus drivers, riders, SEPTA crew members reactions to these special events.
    3) Differences in people riding SEPTA at different times of day. (like mostly college students at 3pm)

As Professor Moustefellos mentioned when I met him, it would be great if I could get quotes from people related to the above situations.

• Howdy,

Looking for quotes from people who’d prefer to ride the subway, but can’t because of handicap or stroller access.

Would also like any interviews regarding payment issues, especially with tokens.

• Hi everybody

I am looking for information on deterrents to riding the bus or alternatives to riding the bus. Basically anything that would pull someone away from taking the bus. Particularly when it comes to the website, alternate forms of transportation, and conditions at bus stops or on the bus.

• Tom–

Check out my Interview 3 (also posted below). It’s with a social worker named Matt. I think it will provide you with some good info.

• Does anyone have interviews from people who:
    1. feel like the bus system is a community
    2. feel like they have other options and only take it occasionally

• I am seeking additional evidence that shows the sense of community that exists on board the buses as well as that at the shelters (both riders and non-riders). Does anyone have any supporting data?

• Hey class- my interview with Matt below gives a pretty good perspective on someone who has nuanced reasons for NOT riding the bus. It sheds to light some of the system’s shortcomings:

Interview III-
    Matt is a thirty year-old social worker in Philadelphia. Based on Glassdoor reviews and online surveys, he makes about $45,000 per year. Despite that, he makes two yearly installments of $700 to cover car insurance, fills up the tank of his Toyota sedan once per week (approx. $45), and pays $800 for a dedicated monthly parking spot. Not factored into these calculations are the parking tickets he receives multiple times each year. He lives in on 24th and Carpenter, but he has clients all over the city, the plurality of which are clustered in North Philadelphia. For this reason, he drives to work nearly every day, because despite his home office, he visits clients at home Monday through Friday.
    I asked Matt if he would ever take the bus instead. Upon hearing his emphatic “NO WAY,” I knew he would be able to provide me with some good insight as to why. “First of all,” he said, “I could never rely on it. Even if it’s on time four out of five days, I’m late to an important meeting 20% of the time and that is not acceptable. I could be going to meet with the mother of a suicidal child or to talk with a high schooler who recently violated parole and is about to be cuffed and taken away. But I don’t want to sound dramatic, because being late to even an innocuous situation is still bad for me in my career.” I asked Matt how he could get to North Philadelphia on the bus if he so chose, and he said there are a few options. I asked him how he even knew that if he was so against the bus; he said that his car had a flat tire last year and he had no choice but to take the bus. “It all depends how far east or west of broad you have to go, because I would be much more inclined to take the Broad Street train line, which always runs on time and has express routes. The problem is that I’m just as likely to be on 22nd street as I am 3rd street, so even though the BSL can get me north pretty quickly, I still have a ways to go from there. I’m too lazy to walk the difference anyway, but when it’s so hot out, it’s completely out of the question.” Then I brought him back to that bus trip last year. I did not expect him to be able to identify the worst part of the trip, but he quickly answered. “The constant stops. I realize that it’s public transportation, but it drove me crazy.” Upon returning home, I looked it up online and it seems like he took the 17 Bus after walking four blocks to 20th & Carpenter.
    Before we parted ways, I asked Matt if he had anything else to add. He told me how much he loves Philadelphia but that the shoddy bus system is is something holding the city back from reaching its full potential. He brought up how everyone says that Philadelphia is so walkable, but then he told me to go home and look at the map and see how small Center City is relative to the rest of the city proper. “People in Philadelphia shouldn’t have to commute over an hour to get five or six miles,” he said. For what it’s worth, however, Matt’s vitriol towards the bus system seems to be based more on word of mouth from others and his own assumptions. After all, he admits to having only taken the bus one time.

• Does anyone have a quote from a SEPTA driver saying that the multiple forms of fare payments slow down boarding and make the bus late?

• Hi all star GMBAs,

I am taking a look at the token system used by SEPTA. I was wondering if anyone came across any mention of the tokens in their interviews.

• Hey Casey,
      I had an elderly woman explain to me how she struggles to find exact change frequently and how acquiring tokens has become a huge hassle for her with old age!

Hope this helps to spark some thoughts.

• Hello everyone!

I was wondering if anyone found demographics related to number of riders during the 24 hours in a day?

• Hey guys,

Does anyone have any interviews that touch on the rules of the bus or bus etiquette i.e. eating food, loud music etc. ? Thanks!

• Hey Kelly!

I had a young woman discuss that she does not like her child to ride the bus because she feels it is too dirty. She mentioned food left on the bus and that her child always seems to sense the stress on the bus. She quoted, “Buses are disgusting and I don’t want my child in that environment”.

Hope this helps because bus etiquette can also move from annoyance to harmful!

• I found this very helpful: Septa’s annual report from last year
    http://septa.org/strategic-plan/reports/annual-2014.pdf

• If anyone is looking for anything specific my interviews are about the following:
    1) About a girl who lives in center city and needs to get all over the city but NEVER takes the bus after bad experiences and not wanting to deal with people/schedules etc.
    2) About a wealthy young professional who takes the bus ALL THE TIME because he is incredibly cheap and doesn’t want to pay for ubers/cabs
    3) about a nurse at UPenn who takes the bus early every morning to work from center city to university city and enjoys taking the bus because she has a routine and its “mindless” and she doesn’t have to pay for a car/worry about parking etc.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *