No Points
Total
1076 Points
MIS Badge

Click here
to validate the recipient

Enhanced Coursework

Data and Analytics

Data and Analytics is growing every single second. The amount of time you spend reading this, there has been at least 3.4mb of data has already been created just about you. This course encompassed everything that is important to build the foundation to truly understand the back bone of how data, especially big data, has gotten to the point of where it is now. The course focused on relational database and non-relational database management, as well as data structure (XML, .csv, .json, etc), machine learning, and RStudio basics like clustering, classification, other types of data mining.

Web Application Development

While this course was heavy in coding, it was also very important to build as a set-up for being comfortable in a coding atmosphere, as well as understanding the basics of internet applications in HTML, JavaScript and how to use CSS basics. The course focused mainly on the logic related to how websites can use JavaScript and plugins like Ajax and JQuery to enhance the experience and usability for users. Furthermore, it was foundational experience needed for future careers, as the exposure to coding now makes it easier in the future. The course focused on basic API calls, and how to properly implement them into a websites, while utilizing coursework from the Data and Analytics course in the same semester. Understanding how things work, and not just knowing if they work is what was the key takeaway for me. It’s especially important as MIS majors, because we serve as liaisons from business to technology, or vice versa.

Cloud Architecture

This course was heavy in Amazon Web Services and served as a first exposure for me as a student to virtual private cloud management as well as cloud based database management. The entirety of the course, from beginning to end, built upon itself, keying in on past experience or learning to get through the next portion of the course. Understanding how to ensure usability from a user’s perspective and security from a client’s perspective is further important. My key takeaway from this course was that cloud based management is important, and also very fun.

User Experience Design

This course was grounded within the basics of how user experience design work to enhance the experience for users. Users serve as customers in a business atmosphere, so being able to design software, a website, or anything really, it pretty important if you want to keep their business. Understanding what customers want, from an empathetic viewpoint, as well as meeting what they need, is why this course is important. The multitude of places that this can be applied to is endless, which is why I believe it is the most important of all the course I’ve taken thus far. It serves as a reminder for every working in a business setting that our users are our customers and that they must know how to use our system just as good as we do, or else we lose.

Skip to toolbar