MIS 3537 – Spring 2017

100 second reflection for Week 10

Think for 100 seconds, and summarize the key things that you learned in the class during Week 10:

Amazon Europe Case

Lecture about Should I be Green?  How Easy is it to be Green (and Ethical)?

31 Responses to 100 second reflection for Week 10

• Looking back on what I learned in week 10 of this class, one thing that stuck out to me were the many challenges and concerns involved in implementing a “green” supply chain. When thinking about companies going green, I simply thought that if a company did not go green, it is because they did not care. However, there are many concerns that come along with a efficient , green supply chain. Some include child labor, animal and human testing, harsh working conditions (sweatshops) are some concerns that are involved in implementing a green supply chain. Obviously, there is a fine line between being green and saving the environment and being ethical, and I think we all can agree that even though the environment being safer is a great thing, that should not be at the expense of exploiting animals and humans, even children, to implement a green supply chain.

• In week 10, the topics discussed were the Amazon Europe case and going green. In the past several years, “going green” has been a prominent issue in the business space and what it means to your customers. Customers started to realize the negative environmental impact of their buying habits and many will shift to buying “green” or “environmentally friendly”. Businesses need to implement ways to go green in their supply chain, which could involve anything from recycling to waste management. Along with the satisfaction of helping the environment, the company can now market themselves as a “green company” and gain good corporate responsibility which can increase brand perception.

• In class this week, we discussed the Amazon Europe case and how Amazon has evolved over the years. One thing I did not know before this case was that Amazon started out as an online book retailer; from this, they grew into the online-retail giant that they are today. Amazon took initiative to strengthen their inventory management system by having their own personal delivery trucks to bring shipments to major cities and introducing Six Sigma. Overall, Amazon has changed the distribution landscape through its efficient inventory processes and commitment to increasing their operational efficiency. In addition, we also talked about “going green” and the impact it can have on all aspects of the business (the company, customers, suppliers, products, facilities etc.). In regards to the supply chain, companies can focus on recycling and proper waste management techniques to not only establish a social responsibility for their brand, but make a prominent impact on the environment as a whole.

• In week 10’s class I gave the presentation of Amazon’s case study. I did not realize how much the company grew since its inception in the 90’s. The company started out as a bookstore and due to pressure from competition, chose to try to grow as quickly as possible in order to become a customer’s primary vendor. They added a music and movies store, and not too much later added an array of other categories. With regards to companies being green, I’ve known that a company will always do what is most beneficial to them. If this means laying waste to the environment, they will. A company will only be green if their customers see value in it and they can attract more customers because of it. Then it would be worth their while to take the proper steps to be green. What I did not know was that such a staggering percentage of people do not care of a business’s practices and only care for the quality and price of the product. Being green may affect people’s perception of the company but will not affect their purchasing tendencies.

• In this weeks class we discussed the evolution of Amazon’s supply chain and ethics related to supply chain. I learned the many new strategies that Amazon used in inventory management and the problems they faced in Europe. Amazon was once a retailer only for books and stocked about 5% of the books. The other 95% were sourced from wholesalers that Amazon had made partnerships with. Amazon also faced many challenges in the European market such as: cultural differences, regulatory laws, payment methods, and procurement strategies. With the help of the European Distribution Network, Amazon was able to expand it’s product lines and expand into new markets easier. We also discussed about “going green” and companies having a social responsibility. The elements of green supply chains include: green design, green sourcing, green production, green distribution, and green reverse logistics.

• This was a week I was looking forward too. Amazon’s supply chain is renowned and green and ethical sourcing and processes are a hot topic issue. Amazon’s strategy to improve operations in the 2000’s was remarkable and the expansion into Europe was even more impressive. Amazon managed to be successful in Europe despite the cultural and legal challenges. The EDN strategy was complex and there were pros and cons for each option. The presentation on green supply chains was great. This is something every company is concerned with when accessing long-term sustainability.

• The Amazon case presented a scenario where a domestically successful company had to alter its supply chain strategies when expanding globally. The global perspective that Amazon took provides a valuable lesson in working in foreign markets. Not only did Amazon have to consider the different logistic infrastructures in Europe, it also had to account for different cultural shopping preferences. This affected its supply chain to a large degree, and involved a large investment in new IT development and maintenance. The other topic of discussion, sustainable operations, is one that has gained increased attention recently. Many companies have outsourced cheap labor for decades, however new policies and technologies developed in the United States are making it possible to run a green operation while maintaining similar, if not improved, levels of profitability.

• In week 10 we discussed Amazon and the significant change we have seen within the company over the last few years. I found this case particularly interesting because I feel like in my lifetime I have really experienced the changes Amazon has gone through. I vividly remember when the retailer only supplied books, when it made the addition of adding music to its product line, and now I use Amazon for essentially everything. I think Amazon provides an interesting perspective when considering global supply chains. For a company as successful as Amazon to have to make somewhat substantial changes to its supply chain for its global success isn’t something that I had originally considered. Although originally surprising, it makes sense that they would experience such cultural challenges. This cultural challenge, along with the legal challenges the company experienced, are aspects I will be sure to take a closer look at in evolving supply chains moving forward.

• This week we looked at how amazon underwent significant change to become the company they are today. Prior to this class I was not aware that amazon originated as an online book retailer. Now the you can order a wide variety of products from amazon. In order to achive this amazon had to alter its supply chain to suit the market. There were benifits as well as drawbacks to every option. They had to overcome challenges such as regulatory issues and cutural differences. The result is the reputable retailer we get to enjoy today. Modern times also put pressure on large companies to be eco friendly. Companies are incentivized when customers see value and buy from green companies.

• My group gave the presentation on the Amazon case. I had not realized the emphasis that Amazon had put into making sure that they fit into the European Market between Germany, the United Kingdom, and France. The entire supply chain network had to be looked at from a unique skill set into order to be able to adapt into the foreign markets. The fact that they had grown so immensely from just a simple bookstore into the large e-network that they became is astonishing. When it comes to operating in a green manner as a firm, there is a fine line between being green and being ethical. Concerns that can go into be green through operations have to do with labor conditions, which can include child labor, and even human and animal testing and the restrictions that go along with that. Although operating more greenly and efficiently is a main priority, it does not trump the importance of maintaining the safety of all of the people and animals that go into it.

• This week in class we discussed some of the changes Amazon has made over the past few years to become who they are today. A decade ago they were about to become irrelevant as a simple online book retailer but have made some major changes and are now one of the biggest companies in the world. One of the ways they have achieved this is through their prime services and quick, free shipping, a smart way of retaining customers. Beyond Amazon we also talked about “green supply chains”, or, ethical supply chains. One thing that I have not thought much about until now is how corporations handle the ethical reasoning in supply chains. For example, a company may be able to save a lot of money by breaking labor laws, or practicing some other type of unethical behavior. At the end of the day, they cannot do this because every company has corporate social responsibility, which is a corporation’s self adherence to ethical and legal laws.

• The Amazon case study was an interesting case for me as an international business minor. I just studied a semester in Rome as well so I enjoy learning about American companies that are expanding into Europe and how they are going about the process. Amazon needed to think about alot of different options when deciding what the best way to expand would be when considering the rules and regulations as well as all the different cultures in Europe. For the lecture portion of class we looked at how companies need to consider ethics and the environment when they do business. Companies have a responsibility to work within the laws and do what is right when going about their every day activities even if it might not be the most efficient.

• This week we looked at how Amazon evolved into the company it is today today. Prior to this class, I was not aware that Amazon originated as an online book retailer. Now, you can purchase just about anything on Amazon because the company made some major changes over the years. Amazon took initiative to strengthen its inventory management system. The company did this by owning personal delivery trucks, which brought shipments to major cities and introduced Six Sigma. Overall, Amazon has changed the distribution landscape through its efficient inventory processes and commitment to increasing their operational efficiency. Companies can make changes to go green through green design, green sourcing, green production, green distribution, and green reverse logistics. Going green helps a company build its reputation, though I learned that more people are concerned about the price of a product rather than the company’s green initiatives.

• The Amazon case serves as an interesting topic regarding how international companies should change their supply chain to adapt to the foreign markets. As Amazon expanded to Europe, they had to decide on whether to set up a EDN network and if so, how would that affect them externally (profits, efficiency) and internally (employees retraining, management). Then we moved to discuss green supply chains and what elements are involved in the concept. It is interesting as more and more companies are going green now in their business practices and how should they do it without sacrificing huge profits is the main issue.

• In week 10, we discussed the Amazon case and some of the challenges that it faced in the European market. It was interesting to see how Amazon has evolved into one of the most powerful companies, despite starting just over twenty years ago. Amazon was successful when it implemented a distribution center in Delaware to reach the Eastern United States market and have an efficient method to transport and receive goods overseas. In the lecture, we talked about being green and ethical in supply chains. We also discussed that people are more worried about the price over the environmental impact when purchasing products. Patagonia is a company that focuses its company on eco-friendly products, but because its prices are much higher than competitors, the average person does not buy items from its site.

• In week 10 class, I learned that it is very difficult for corporations to go green while keeping the operations efficient and profitable. Consumers nowadays have great concerns among the “greenness” of corporations such as the child labor, animal testing, and the worker’s working condition. So many corporations start to consider their social and environmental responsibilities and start to create a green supply chain operations which include green design, green sourcing, green production, green distribution, and green reverse logistics. However, this change can be costly because green technology is expensive and require lots of research, labor, and money to implement the whole green supply chain network.

• In week 10, we went over the Amazon case and their development into the European market. We found that companies can just take the supply chain and copy it to use in a different country/location. There are laws and other aspects that can hinder the supply chain. This shows that the supply chain must be changed and adapt to the new location that it is in. Amazon has an effective supply chain in the US but it will be difficult to grasp a hold on the European market. For the second half of class, we looked at how companies involve ethics such as the environment. We see a shift in the consumers now caring more and more about the environment so now business are shifting their priorities to cater to the environment. Companies have to also consider the ethics of their customers when making important decisions. Every company has different sets of standards for ethics which may effect their supply chain and other aspects of their business.

• What I found most interesting about the Amazon case was how different businesses operate in different countries. Consumer preferences and tendencies vary from country to country to the extent that global companies like Amazon have to essentially compartmentalize their business methods based on geographic location. I found it interesting how they started as solely a book seller, and then leveraged their growing expertise in online marketplaces to expand into a company that sells nearly everything a family might need in their home. During the lecture portion of class we discussed business ethics and how they play into businesses’ operations. I find this subject interesting to learn about, as it essentially contradicts much of what we learn in our core business classes about maximizing profit. Businesses need to consider ethics and critically evaluate all options in an ethical dilemma, often foregoing short term profits for the sake of doing the right thing.

• This week my team and I gave a presentation on Amazon and its expansion into Europe. It was extremely interesting learning how one of the biggest companies of out time came from a simple start. Originally a online store for only books, Amazon not sells everything from clothing to video games. In the case, one of the major decisions Amazon had to make was how many distribution centers they were to build in Europe. I felt the best option for the initiative was to create 3 distribution centers throughout Europe for two reasons. 1) to minimize logistic costs in regards to distance for delivery. 2) three distribution centers would better support the company as they grow in Europe. I believe it was smarter to build the distribution centers before the extra space is actually needed. If Amazon did not do this, then they would be very restricted in terms of how much they can store, and once they needed an increase in capacity, then it would take time to create the needed space.

• What’s important about having a green supply chain? The customers can really only see how green a business is through their retail outlets, right? Well, even if this were the case, is this morally correct? The answer is no, and that is( or should be) the driving force for green supply chain initiatives. There are the simple pieces of being green, like more efficient transportation modes. Then there are the less obvious, like responsible sourcing, and even green reverse logistics. As a consumer, reverse logistics are forgotten once you land your order, unless you have to return it. And even in this case, you are not necessarily thinking about how healthy the system is for the planet. Green initiatives in supply chain are the future, and must be if we are to continue living on this planet.

• This week we learned the importance of making ethical decisions and reducing environmental impact in regard to the supply chain. The four biggest challenges of being ethical in the supply chain industry are globalization, complexity, competition, and outsourcing. We talked about incorporating a ‘green’ supply chain into a company and the benefits it can bring. The ‘green’ mindset is a growing trend, and seems to help a lot of businesses and gives consumers a good image of companies that are a part of it. Going green in a supply chain could become a very big part of companies in the near future.

• Amazon is almost always going to come up in a supply chain class. This week we discussed Amazon and their expansion into Europe and their climb to the top. The lecture part of class was about ethical decisions and ‘green’ environmental decisions. Businesses are starting to make it a priority to switch to a ‘greener’ method and reduce their impact on the environment. Being ‘green’ is not just a fad or a trend. If you do not start implementing green initiatives, your company will fall well behind the pack.

• It was very interesting to learn how Amazon tackled the different challenges on its debut in Europe. During Amazon expansion in Europe, the company had to deal with regulations and cultural challenges. The company was able to alter his supply chain techniques and customized its website to the need of Europeans customers. The process work out smoothly and was a huge success. For a better sustainability of the planet, it is important for big corporation to adopt green supply chain initiatives. Going “green” is a part of corporate social responsibilities. More consumers are expecting companies to maintain a high ethical standing regarding the use of green resources, and are willing to spend a more money on products produce by green companies. Starbucks did an excellent job by paving the way with its green supply chain initiatives.

• This week we talked about the environment, challenges, and strategies that amazon experienced in it’s venture into europe. New regulations and cultural differences were among the new challenges amazon faced as many other firms do when they enter a new market abroad. In the second portion of class we talked about going green in the supply chain and environmental impact that supply chains can have. Firms have been “going green” for a few years now and the potential loss of business from not being responsible about this is highly probable.

• This week i became aware of the important decisions regarding ethics and reducing environmental impact when its comes to the supply chain. Some of the biggest challenges of being ethical in the supply chain industry are globalization, complexity, competition, and outsourcing. Many companies now strive for a “green” supply chain, which means they are environmentally friendly, but most importantly, efficient. Many consumers believe it is the companies social responsibility to become “green.” Companies have lost money going green while others have achieved success. It is not easy being green but it most often than not has positive effects on the company and their reputation with the public.

• There is no doubt that Amazon is a very successful company in a lot of countries. However, the Amazon case showed as the Amazon Europe was facing certain challenges including cultural differences, regulatory laws, payment methods, and procurement strategies. One of the most important takeaway from the case was that in order to success in a foreign, an international company like Amazon needs to be flexible in terms of its business strategies and supply chain management.

• In week 10, we discussed business ethics and green supply chain practices. Some of the biggest challenges in regards to running a business ethically come from outsourcing and globalization. Business is conducted differently all over the world, this makes enforcing standards, such as how employees are treated and sustainability, among your company difficult. A “green supply chain” is one that make a long-term commitment to practicing sustainability and considers its impact from an environmental, social and economic standpoint. Some different green practices include green design, sourcing, production, distribution, and reverse logistics. Implementing these practices will not only decrease a company’s environmental foot print but also improve the company’s reputation and decrease business costs as well.

• In week 10, we started off the class with my personal favorite presentation of the year, the Amazon case study. Amazon is an extremely successful company and I believe is the perfect example on how to do supply chain right. I found it very interesting to see how they handled the various difficulties they had to overcome in order to succeed in the European market. The other interesting topic we talked about was the decisions a company must make to be “green” and is it something all companies should do. I believe this is a very important topic, especially in today’s day and age. We all have to work together in order to keep our planet healthy because it is the only one we got. So I definitely believe that all companies should do their best to be “green” regardless of the costs.

• In week 10, we discussed the Amazon case. Personally, I really like this case because amazon is a company that I interact with very frequently. I have always known that their supply chain was efficient but learning about it in depth allowed me to see all of the small but significant details that go into making it the powerhouse that it is. I enjoyed hearing about their adventures in the European market because it is easy to few it through the lens of the US, but more challenging when learning about a whole new environment with different challenges. I also enjoyed learning about “green” practices that can take place in a supply chain. I think that going “green” in the supply chain is the next big step for many organizations.

• This week, we covered the topic about ethics and environment of global supply, as well discussed the troubles which Amazon faced in Europe marketplace. In Amazon case, it indicated that Amazon was struggling with adapting European market since the differences culture and the habit of consumption. To bread the issue, Amazon had to improve their customer services by following the local European culture, expectation, ethics. As the supply chain management becomes globally, this situation was happened on lots of companies global development process, as well won’t be stop. Amazon’s case gave us a good lessons about this situation.

• After presenting, we talked more about Amazon’s expansion into the european marketplace. I actually found it surprising Amazon is such a young company and how fast they in the market. We talked about the decisions they had to make in the european market and what kind of structure they should use to deliver goods to their customers. The european market is incredibly different than U.S. and all the countries in europe are different. We then talked about companies being “green”. I think many companies are taking steps in the right direction which is good. Companies need to begin calculating the effect polluting our earth will have on their bottom line.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *