MIS 3537 – Spring 2017

Announcements

Case Groups

All the assignments and cases for this course are to be submitted by groups.  During the first class, you formed 8 groups of 4 – 5 students each.  I strongly recommend you work to create diverse teams (major, background, …).  Since case discussions and presentations will be distributed between the groups throughout the semester, changes to the groups will not be allowed.

All members of a team receive the same points for the case submissions / presentations.  If you feel that one or more members are not doing their fair share, at the end of the semester you will have the opportunity to submit a Team Member Evaluation form to the instructor by email.  All responses will be kept confidential.

Post the composition of each case groups as comments to this post (one post per group).  Include the name and email id of each member in the post.

Online community participation tips

Here are some tips to follow while posting on the course blog:

1. Read others’ comments before posting and avoid unnecessary repetitions.
  2. Write precise to-the-point answers.
  3. Avoid copy and pasting or quoting verbatim from the internet.  Try to paraphrase in your own words.
  4. Comments will be disabled for posts older than two weeks.
  5. You’ll need to login using your accessnet id and password to leave a comment.

Joining the Course’s Online Community

I encourage you to to join the online community (course blog).  3 Main Reasons:

1. The blog contains significant class logistics and course information
  2. Your participation helps everyone in the class learn from your unique experiences and you can learn from them
  3. Your participation in the blog by posting counts in your course grade.

To Join: simply click on ‘login’ at the top left of this page and use your Accessnet id and password when prompted.  When you complete the process, add your name and username as a comment on this post.  For example:  Ed Beaver (ebeaver)  This  provides a trigger for me to authorize your participation in the blog.

Subscription: If desired you can subscribe to the blog to receive notifications of new posts by email.  To subscribe see the ‘Subscribe to Blog via Email’ section of the menu to the right of the Home page.

Welcome to MIS 3537 !!

I’m thankful to be teaching at Temple MIS and in particular this course.

I’m excited to teach this class and glad to have all of you in the class.  Together our experiences, hard work and teamwork this semester will result in a successful learning experience.

I hope you are all excited as well.  I recommend you do the following:

• Please read the syllabus (See Tab above) carefully about what I expect from each of you. We are all going to learn from each other so your active involvement is essential.
  • Review the class schedule (See Tab above) that includes: topics we will be covering, pre-reading, assignments and test schedule.
  • Assure you are a member of  the online community which allows you to participate in this course blog.  If you are not: simply click on ‘login’ at the top left of this page and use your Accessnet id and password when prompted.  When you complete the process, add your name and username as a comment on this post.  For example:  Ed Beaver (EBeaver).

The first night we will go through the syllabus in detail and talk about the semester.  Then, we’ll  jump into our first class content and initial exercise.

If you have any questions send me an email or call me  on my mobile 609 206 9783.  I’m typically only on campus Monday afternoons and evenings.   However, I can be available at other times during the week to assist you.

See you Monday evening, January 23rd.

Edward (Ed) Beaver      Adjunct Professor