Community Platform
Interests
  • Systems analysis
This Year
No Points
Total
1040 Points
MIS Badge

Click here
to validate the recipient

Cigna TECDP Summer 2014 Internship

Between May and August in 2014 I completed a 14 week internship with Cigna in Hartford, Connecticut as a part of their Technical Early Career Development Program (TECDP). I was one of close to 60 interns in this program, although some were located at Cigna’s campuses across the nation. During this internship, my work time was split between two different projects.

80% of my time was dedicated to a traditional systems analyst role in the Finance IT department. This consisted of participating in weekly meetings to make sure our projects were on time, and meeting all requirements. This 80% also included time that I spent collecting requirements for a new pharmacy reporting tool, so i spoke often with SMEs to gather needs, then to developers to see if these needs were obtainable.

The other 20% of my work week was spent on a separate team, consisting of my fellow TECDP interns. We were given wearable activity monitors like Fitbits, Google Glass, and smart scales, and were tasked with finding a profitable way for Cigna to implement these technologies in our business. My team designed and developed a working app that used our Withings Pulse O2 tracker to track activity, which it then put into a competitive environment to see who was being the most active. This activity was group by the university that the user attended, and the end result would be to see who is the most active university in America. At the end of the internship all of the interns presented our apps to the judges, two VPs and our CIO, who named my team’s deliverable as #1.

Skip to toolbar