Section 003, Instructor: Ermira Zifla

Weekly Question #7: Complete by March 22, 2017

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on March 22, 2017. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

Give an example of a KPI – some sort of metric for performance – that you use on a regular basis? Briefly discuss how it conforms to the SMART criteria.

(For example, my car tells me its average gas mileage. This is specific and measurable – gas mileage is a precise measure. It is achievable – I can alter my driving to try to get better mileage. It’s relevant – gas mileage has an impact on my costs! And it’s time-variant, I can look at gas mileage over a week, or a day, or a month.)

37 Responses to Weekly Question #7: Complete by March 22, 2017

• I use the KPI of my phone battery. My phone tells me what my battery percentage is at in the moment. It conforms to the SMART criteria because the number of battery percentage left is is specific and measurable. it’s achievable since I can use my phone less so that my battery percentage that is left will be higher. It’s relevant since my phone is very important to me and I use it all of the time. Finally, it’s time-variant since I can look at the percentage decrease over an hour or a couple of hours or even a couple of days.

• An example of a KPI would be the weather application of any compatible smartphone, any television screen displaying news and weather, or any computer in which has access to internet connection. The weather adheres to the SMART criteria as it is specific to the lone purpose o determining the weather. It is measurable as many variables are accounted for with differentiating values, be they, temperature, wind speed, humidity, etcetera. It is achievable and also attainable as the weather is documented regularly. The weather is also relevant, as it is a essential part to many people’s lifestyle, impending on the way they dress for the day, their traveling methods, their planning, etcetera. Lastly, it is time bound, as many times weather is tracked down to the second that way meteorologist are able to predict wind patterns and the movement of high and low temperature fronts, as well is overcasts and storm fronts.

• My Fit-Bit is an example of a KPI. It is specific and measurable – the steps taken is a precise measure. It is achievable- I can alter the number of steps taken by excising more or less. It is relevant – it can impact my overall health and calories burned per day. And it’s time-variant, I can track the number of steps taken and calories burned over days, weeks and months.

• An example of a KPI would be a heartbeat monitor used in hospitals. It specifically measures the heart rate in beats per minute for the purpose of keeping the patient alive, which is achievable. The heartbeat is also relevant to the success of the goal since the patient will die if there is no heart beat meaning if the heart is not beating you have failed your goal, and it is time based since we are measuring the heart rate in beats per minute.

• An example of a KPI I use on a regular basis is the tweet activity of my posts on twitter. Everytime I post, twitter tells me the quantitative impressions and engagements of my tweets. This is specific and measurable because it breaks down engagements by type and gives me a numeric value. It is achievable because I can tweet more tweets of a certain nature in order to get higher tweet activity. It is relevant because I can see the impact my words have on the website, and it is time based because I can compare how popular or unpopular my tweets are over time.

• An example of a KPI I use is my debit card/bank account. It is specific and measurable because the money in my account is a precise number that permits my debit card to work. It is achievable because I can alter my spending to save more money and earn interest, if possible. It is relevant because that money in my account helps me pay for daily essentials and bills. And lastly, it is time variant because I can see how the money in my account changes over a certain time period.

• A KPI would be the cellular data usage of any smartphone. It is specific and measurable since it is the amount of gb that you have used and how much you need to have to actually have a network connection. It is achievable because I can learn to regulate how much data usage and gb I spend in a month depending on my plan and it is relevant because it is directly related to the amount of money or how much it will cost you to have working network on your smartphone for a month. And it is time-variant because I can check it on any time interval that I want.

• A good example of a KPI in use daily by me is my CPU/Ram monitor gadget on my laptops desktop. This monitors the overall percentage of the CPU (central processing unit) resources and displays them in chart as well as in percent. The CPU’s clock speed is monitored as well as demand on the RAM (Random Access Memory). The eight separate hyper threads are displayed as different cores, but in reality, it is using 4-cores in a manner that appears to be 8-cores. Depending on the amount of programs I am running at the same time, I can alter the priority, cores available, and overclocking potential of the CPU to varying program loads. This monitor allows me to see which programs use the different threads in what amounts to where I am able to adjust usage and overclocking(boosting the voltages applied to the CPU to enable higher clock speeds, therefore turning the speed up if temperature allows) This is specific and measurable way to monitor my computer’s performance. This is achievable, I can alter my program usage and CPU speed for differing loads to maximize processing. It is relevant; my computer’s ability to convert video/audio formats affects the amount I charge for the service. It is also time-variant; I can look at the CPU’s performance instantly, over the entire time it has been on, or historically.

• An example of a KPI that I see everyday is the gradebook section on blackboard. It records my grades for each assignment, calculates the weighted total and eventually will calculate the total grade at the end of the semester. It is measurable because I can see the scores I received and how many points the assignment was worth. It is relevant because I can view my grades and than adjust accordingly if they are not where they need to be. It is also time variant because I can see what assignments were graded on what day and what time of they day they were recorded.

• An example of a KPI is a clock. A clock is specific because it is designed to have one hand tick every second, another to move every sixty seconds, and another hand to move every hour. It is measurable because I can see each individual minute which would be out of sixty (x/60)min. Time on a clock is achievable because my life is mainly tailored around time. Time is relevant because this is what keeps myself on schedule and is a vital part of my life; the time of day.

• An example of a KPI I encounter each day is the page number count in any book I’m reading. It is specific because each number only refers to one page, the sequential ordering of the page numbers allow me to measure my progress. It is achievable because in order to finish the book, I simply have to keep on reading. Page numbers are relevant because they tell me quantitatively weather my progression is fast or slow. It is also time relevant because to finish a book, one simply needs to spend more time reading.

• An example of a KPI would be your BMI. This is a metric for your physical “performance,” as your BMI is a number determined from your weight and height, and it can tell you about your health. Here is how BMI conforms to the SMART standard:
    Specific because it measures your body fat
    Measurable because it is an exact numeric value
    Achievable because you can increase or decrease your BMI by gaining or losing weight from altering your diet or exercise
    Relevant because your BMI is important in determining whether you are obese, healthy, or underweight, and this is important to your overall health and wellbeing
    Time-variant because since it is a measurable value, you can see how your BMI has changed/stayed the same over weeks, months, and years.

• An example of KPI I use is the information the elliptical tells me while I am running on it. It tells me how fast I am running, my heartbeat, how many calories I’ve burned off, how far I’ve ran, and how much time I have spent on the elliptical. It is specific and measurable because all the things it displays that I just mentioned are precise measures. It is achievable because I can see exactly how close I am to achieving my goal. It is relevant because it can impact my overall health. And it’s time-variant because I can track the number of miles ran and calories burned, and relate it to other workouts.

• A KPI that I use in my day to day life is the app “My Fitness Pal.” It’s a combination calorie measurement, step-tracking, and exercise-tracking app. It is specific and measurable because it measures steps, calorie intake, and exercise. It is achievable because I am able to change or alter my calorie intake and the number of steps I take each day in order to achieve the goals it sets. It is a relevant KPI because tracking steps and calories directly impacts my health. The app is also time-relevant/specific because it measures these things over specific periods of times and I can compare my activity with days, weeks, or months.

• A KPI that I use on a regular basis is the digital Thermostat in my home. This is specific and measurable because the temperature in my home is a precise measure. It is achievable, given that I can manipulate the temperature to fit the desired room temperature or even cut HVAC cost by shutting the system off. it’s relevant, the temperature in my home impacts how comfortable I am. And time-variant because I can look at the increase or decrease in room temperature over the course of a hour, or a day.

• An example of a KPI is the fitness material on my Apple Watch. This is specific and measurable because it measures steps, calories burned, and amount of time walking/running. It is achievable because it sets goals for you based on weight and will tell you if you completed them. It is time-variant because it wants to achieve these goals everyday and will reset each day. It will even give you a report at the end of the week based on data it collects. You can then compare the information to other weeks and months to see when you were the most active and try to improve your fitness each week or month. This is a relevant KPI because it will impact my health and allow me to see how well I am doing with exercise.

• An example of a KPI is the amount of calories I intake. This is specific and measurable because I can record the amount of calories each food has that I eat. I can add this up to get the total amount. It is achievable because I can alter the number of calories I eat depending on my diet. Its relevant because the number of calories I intake can affect my health and well-being. I am able to measure my daily calorie so it is time-variant.

• An example of an KPI that I use on a regular basis is the UBER app on my phone. It is specific and measurable be it’s specific use is transportation and its measurable by its location and mapping function within the app. It can tell me the distance I traveled and the time it took me to get there. It is achievable because I can plan out estimated arrival times to my destinations and plan my day accordingly. It is relevant because it is my means, and many of others means of transportation. it is time-variant because I can see how many times I have used the app for trips and how much money I spent on them.

• A KPI I use on a regular basis is the DATA USAGE diagram Android offers on my Samsung phone. It displays the amount of data I have already used in a billing cycle and graphically shows how much this amount is as a fraction of my maximum data limit.
    It fulfills all SMART criteria.
    It is specific, because it accurately measures the amount of data my phone has up or downloaded from the mobile network.
    It is measurable, because it measures the data packages sent and received in megabytes.
    It is achievable, because I can adjust my usage of apps or even turn off my mobile data to stay within my data limit. The app also allows me to set a limit for mobile data, and a specific amount when a warning is displayed.
    It is relevant, because the amount of data used affects the speed of my mobile data. My limit of high speed data is 3.0GB, once I reach that number I will only be provided with reduced speed of data, which impacts the performance of every app using the internet.
    It is time variant, because I can set a billing cycle, which will determine when the application will reset my amount of used data. I can also check my usage frequently, e.g. after going on vacation for a week with limited access to WIFI, and can make sure that I am aware of how much of my high speed data I have already used.
    Therefore, the DATA USAGE diagram Android offers on my Samsung phone is a KPI, which I use on a regular basis and which fulfills all SMART criteria.

• A KPI that I use on a regular basis is the log of the hours that I have worked at my job. This is specific because it tells me the exact amount of time that I have worked during each week. It is measurable because it calculates the time I have worked in minutes. It is achievable in that I can make goals as to how many hours I work in a week by maybe taking extra shifts and covering for my coworkers. This KPI is relevant in that I can track the amount of hours I have worked and recheck them with my calendar to make sure I am being paid for the correct amount of hours. It is time variant in that I can check the log daily or weekly depending on when I have time to check it.

• An example of KPI that comes to mind is a dashboard I used to use at work. It was a pretty cool as it had a nice graph and bar chart that showed my sales and commission for that month. That dashboard monitored and totalled up the different types of transactions for the day. Also, it tallied up and showed commission totals and from what type of transactions the commission came from. It was specific because it drilled down into details of different types of transactions and commission. It is measurable because of transaction data. It is achievable because you can change what to monitor depending on what is important. It is relevant because it helps employees monitor their performance and show areas they need to improve. It is time-variant because the dashboard could be adjusted to measure and show data for various time intervals, monthly or weekly.

• A KPI I use on a regular basis is the Wells Fargo app I have on my phone. It is specific because it tells me the amount of money I have in my bank account. It is measurable because if I purchase something using my card, the app shows me the amount of money deducted as well as the remaining money I have left in my bank account. It is achievable and relevant because it allows me to track how much money I have and with that information, control my spending. Lastly, it is time-variant because I can check the app whenever I want to since it is easily accessible.

• An example of kpi could be the amount of sugar i take into my body everyday. It’s specific in that I am talking about a certain chemical compound that isn’t necessarily healthy. It’s measurable in that I can look at the number of grams I intake. It’s attainable in that I can write down what I eat over the day and find the sugar content within what I ate. It’s relevant because sugar isn’t very good for my body so I should limit my consumption of it. And finally, it is time specific in that I want to know how much sugar I eat on average day.

• An example of a KPI is any statistic that can be tracked by a SmartWatch. Some of these can include calories burned, steps walked, flights climbed, and heart rate. These are specific in the sense that they each give a distinguishable statistic about every day health and fitness. They are measurable because that is their nature and duty. It is also possible to set goals surrounding these KPIs by limiting my calories and increasing my exercise

• Every day I use the weather channel app on my iPhone to tell me what the weather will be like that day. The weather includes, temperature level and whether there will be sun, clouds, rain, snow, fog, wind, or a thunderstorm based upon what city, state, or country I am in. Because the app is able to translate this information is it specific. It is also time-related because it will tell me what the weather will be like throughout each hour of the day.

• I have an app on my phone called Samsung Health. It is a leading product in android based phones for measuring one’s health. This is a great example of KPI cause the app is able to measure everything from calories burnt to SPo2 measurements from samsungs health sensor. With this sensor we are able to measure hydration and oxygen content in our bloods.

• A KPI that I use daily is the “Sleep Analysis” tool in the Clock app on my iPhone. This tool is specific because the data collected is specifically from my sleeping habits. It is measurable because it measures the amount of sleep I get daily. It is achievable because I can sleep more or less to attain a certain sleeping goal for a week or a month. It’s relevant because I want to know how my sleeping habits compare to other people with the same demographics as me, i.e. age, sex. Finally, this tool is time-variant because it collects the data about my sleeping habits over time, from day to day to measure trends.

• A KPI that I use on a regular basis is my Virtual DJ application on my computer. It is specific because it collects data of the first time a song was played and how many beats are in the song. It is measurable because it measures how many times I have played a song. It is achievable because I can create a playlist and make a mix that is the duration I desire. It is relevant because it compares the song and gives me a recommendation for another song to mix it with. It is time-variant because you can see the songs you played for each day.

• A KPI that I use on a regular basis is my grade in a particular class. It is specific and measurable because it is an exact value, and it is achievable by means of using the most effective study and work methods to get the best grade possible. Furthermore, it is relevant to my success because it is a measure of that very thing, and finally it is time-variant because I can observe my grade progression over the course of the semester or school year.

• An example of a KPI i use everyday is the “Nike fitness app” on my phone. It tracks the distance I run, walk and the steps i take in a day. It very specific and measurable because it tracks my distance through my location and give me a weekly summary of all the activities i performed that week. It is very important for me to know the distances i run in a week, and how long it took because i am able to see if i am improving.

• One example of a KPI I use everyday is Youtube analytics. It measures the number of views as well as how long an individual has watched my videos, the time of which a video is watched is measured in seconds, and views are counted,If I had a goal to reach “x” number of views or if I wanted people to watch all of my videos, so I made them shorter, the analytics page would not only be able to inform me of how short I may need to make a video, but also it would also show me how the changes effected the analytics. The analytics page updates daily, but one can look at the response their content gets over the span of months and years.

• One of the few KPI’s I consider on a daily basis is my daily water intake. This KPI is specific and measurable: water intake can be a precise measure of daily fluid ounces. It is achievable: I can consume more water on any day depending on my effort and conscientiousness. It’s relevant: amount of water intake has several positive health effects. It is also time-variant: I can observe my water intake over an hour, a day, or even a week.

• An example of a KPI would be the sales rates for my clothing company. We are able to see faster and more accurate data collection through using KPI. We are able to measure success to our specific goals and accomplishments. It’s specific and measurable because we are able to see how many sales we are getting done on a weekly basis. It’s extremely important for us to see how many sales we get a week because it will tell us if our business is currently being successful or it will tell us if we need to work on certain things and departments to create a bigger revenue.

• A specific KPI I use is the police and fire credit union app i have on my phone. This app tells me specifically how much money I have in my checking and savings account whenever I check it. It also shows transaction history with recent withdraws and deposits noted. . It is achievable because with the app I can know how much money I need to save or keep handly. It is relevant becauseI need the money to know what I can and can’t buy, like for dinner for example. An it is definitely time variant because it shows the money that comes in and out and notes the time of every transaction.

• One example of a KPI that I use daily is my performance on my iOS game, Clash Royale. The app tells you how many Crowns you’ve achieved in battle. Crowns measure the amount of battles you’ve won or lost against other players, where more crowns mean more wins, and less crowns means less wins. Thousands of people play this game regularly, and achieving Crowns is simple and easy. The correlation between how long you’ve had the game and amount of Crowns is generally positive, meaning that the time-relevant relationship between the two increases as time passes.

• A KPI that I use on a regular basis is the treadmill at the gym. It tells me how far I’ve run, being specific and measurable. It also allows me to pick from different workout routines, being achievable. It lets me know how many calories I’ve burned, being relevant. And it lets me know how long I’ve been working out, referencing time.

• A KPI I use on a regular basis is my phone battery life. It is the one thing I keep track of daily so I can determine my usage throughout the day. It is specific and measurable, it gives a specific percentage at which the battery level is at. It is achievable, I can check it at any minute and figure out when I need to use it less and when I can use it more. It is relevant, my phone has everything I need from a day to day basis. And it is time-variant, I can track my battery percentage levels within hours and how long I can use it till it dies.