Section 004, Instructor: Mark Sabat

Weekly Question #7: Complete by March 23, 2017

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on March 23, 2017. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

Here is the question:

Give an example of a KPI – some sort of metric for performance – that you use on a regular basis? Briefly discuss how it conforms to the SMART criteria.

(For example, my car tells me its average gas mileage. This is specific and measurable – gas mileage is a precise measure. It is achievable – I can alter my driving to try to get better mileage. It’s relevant – gas mileage has an impact on my costs! And it’s time-variant, I can look at gas mileage over a week, or a day, or a month.)

54 Responses to Weekly Question #7: Complete by March 23, 2017

• An example of a KPI is the measurement of a hockey player’s Corsi. Corsi is the shot differential for NHL players while they are on the ice. Basically shots for versus shots against. I use this very often to help with setting my fantasy hockey lineup because if a player has a higher corsi they are more likely to get shots on goal each night which then in return gets points for my team. Sports teams are starting to use a lot of advanced stats to help them determine who to draft or sign in free agency.

• Average time spent studying for an exam
    • Specific: How long I study
    • Measurable: By the amount of time
    • Achievable: The goal is to spend more time to get the best grade
    • Relevant: The more time I spend, the more likely I will perform better on the exam
    • Time: I can compare my study times daily, weekly, monthly, etc.

• Average calclated GPS times to get from place to place.

I use this metric for performance every time I drive in order to see how long it would take to get somewhere. This helps because I can then plan around. It is specific and measurable because it gives not only an estimated time but directions and how many miles it will take. It is achevable because if all goes well then the estimated time will turn out to be correct. Sometimes traffic may push the time back or the system may provide a better route. It is very relevant because it helps people get from place to place and be aware of how they will get there. As well as time because of the measured time it gives.

• The amount of money I spend:
    Specific: how much I spend daily
    Measurable: the amount i make compared to the amount i spend
    Achievable: keep track of money; be aware and reduce spending
    Relevant: save more money, won’t spend more than i earn
    Time: average money spent per week compared to money earned per week.

• The amount of money I spend:
    Specific: how much I spend daily
    Measurable: the amount i make compared to the amount i spend
    Achievable: keep track of money; be aware and reduce spending
    Relevant: save more money, won’t spend more than i earn
    Time: average money spent per week compared to money earned per week.

• I use Google Analytics to measure traffic to websites. This is specific – measures the amount of views that occur over a time period. Measurable – shows peak times that the website is viewed. Achievable – shows the click through rate in which an individual goes from one page to the next. Relevant – shows what is pages individuals spend the most time and can gauge that certain topics are more important to readers than others. Time – I am able to see the average time spent on each page.

• A KPI that I use on a regular basis is the number of times that I spend studying in a week.
    SPECIFIC-The number of hours spent studying
    MEASURABLE-A time watch can be used to record the numbers of hours spent studying
    ATTAINABLE-It is attainable
    RELEVANT-It is relevant because the number of hours spent studying directly affects my final grades
    TIME BASED-It is measured on a weekly basis.

• Reaching a goal or accomplishing a task such as fitness, studying project
    Specific: How much consistent I am with my task or goal
    Measurable: The amount of effort I have made and accomplishment I have made over time
    Achievable:The goal is to reach and achieve the goal of my task, If I have gained results such as progress
    Relevant: The more effort and persistent I am the more likely I am close to achieve my goal
    Time: Compare the time you have spent on the goal you are trying to achive

• Class performance for a semester:
    Specific: How well I perform in my courses over the period of a semester
    Measurable: Grade point average
    Achievable: Factoring the rigor of classes, extracurriculars, and past semester performance
    Relevant: Based on how I need to perform to pass classes
    Time: Over a period of a semester

• Activity level per day:
    Specific: how many steps in a 24 hour period
    Measurable: a fit bit tracks my step count from the time I wake up – to bed time
    Achievable: tracker will allow me to adjust activity level based on step count
    Relevant: allows me to track my health and fitness day-to-day and see long term progress
    Time based: tracker runs on a 24 hour cycle, time-locked day by day

• Lead Conversion Rate
    Specific: How many customers qualified (contacted and demoed) in a quarterly period.
    Measurable: Number of customers that have sat through a software demo.
    Achievable: Shows ratio of qualified to unqualified/contacted leads.
    Relevant: Allows me to estimate pipeline and sales totals.
    Time: Quarterly limits for measurable and reliable estimates.

• Average number of steps via Fitbit
    Specific: Steps in a given period
    Measurable: Steps recorded in 24 hour period
    Achievable: Can move less or more to alter number
    Relevant: Gives deeper insight for those trying to track fitness
    Time: Can check the amount recorded in 24 hours as well as past days

• Working outs over a period of time
    Specific: How much weight you lose at the gym
    Measurable: Number of pounds or calories
    Achievable: Can do more or less work to reach specific results
    Relevant: Uses the number to see what else needs to be done
    Time: Over a specific period of a semester

• My phone battery
    Specific: amount of battery I have
    Measurable: shows how much battery I have in numbers
    Achievable: by keeping track of my battery I know when to charge my phone to increase the battery.
    Relevant: allows me to know if my phone is going to run out of battery
    Time variant: I can see the amount of battery at any time

• Heart rate during exercise on fitbit/apple watch
    Specific: beats per minute while exercising
    Measurable: resting heart rate vs. heart rate while exercising.
    Achievable: keep track of beats per minute, does it change
    Relevant: exercise more, lower your beats per minute while working out
    Time: Minutes spent inside target heart rate during exercise.

• A soccer forward’s performance level for a season
    Specific: The player’s statistics determine how good/bad they are playing
    Measurable: How many goals they score per season
    Achievable: They can do more or less practicing to achieve a different set of statistics
    Relevant: Allows the coach to determine whether to play this athlete or another one who is performing better
    Time: Can compare the amount of minutes played to the amount of stats achieved throughout a given season or per week/month.

• Tracking a salesman’s performance
    Specific: Counting the number of sales made by a specific person
    Measurable: Measuring the number of sales closed by the person each week
    Achievable: Keep track of sales
    Relevant: Can see how well a salesman is performing and incentivize him even more by paying a larger base salary or commission
    Time: Can count the number of sales one closes each week

• Data Usage
    Specific: It keeps track of how much of a person’s cellular data is used up
    Measurable: There is a concrete number
    Achievable: A person can alter the amount of data they use when on their phone to prevent from going over.
    Relevant: Most everyone uses data and it is very expensive
    Time: Data usage is normally on a monthly basis.

• Activity Level
    Specific: how many miles walked/ran in a day
    Measurable: a fit bit watch calculates how many miles are walked throughout the day
    Achievable: can walk more or less to meet certain goals
    Relevant: allows one to calculate fitness to contribute to health well-being
    Time: fit bit runs day by day (24 hours)

• Class Grades
    Specific: How successful I am in class
    Measurable: Grade point averages/ letter grades
    Achievable: I keep track of my assignments/ exams
    Relevant: Staying on track to pass a class with good grades.
    Time: Over semesters or years

• How busy am I?
    Specific: How often am I doing work
    Measurable: Hours spent in a day not on free time
    Achievable: I log the hours from when I wake up to when I go to sleep, I subtract the amount of free time I had that day (for a month)
    Relevant: Allows one to be more productive with their time
    Time: This can be done every day for at least a month to as long as one’s whole life, but a couple months seems like the best measurement.

• Giving a tour to business partner over a period of time
    Specific: How much time does it take to give a tour of a high school
    Measureable: number of miles and steps to walk
    Achievable: Can complete the tour in 10 minutes or 30 minutes
    Relevant: Uses an agenda to see which classrooms they have to attend
    Time: Over a specific time period to complete the tour

• A KPI use on a daily/weekly basis is how many meal swipes i use on average
    Specific: I have set number i can use each week
    Measurable: I must budget them throughout the week
    Achievable: To use all of them so I get my moneys worth
    Relevant: Keeping on track so I do not run out by the end of the week and end u using cash
    Time: Week by Week basic

• How much time I spend doing nothing:
    Specific: daily time spent doing nothing
    Measurable: hours doing nothing
    Achievable: achieve doing something from nothing
    Relevant: work on being more productive
    Time: average time spent per week compared time spent doing nothing

• KPIs I use on a periodic basis are my grades.

Specific and Measurable – The grades are specific on and can be measured by how well I did in a test or a paper.
    Achievable – I can make my grades better by studying harder for my tests.
    Relevant – My grades have an impact on the quality of education I’m getting and my financial aid.
    Time-variant – My grades come in every time I write a test or a paper.

• An example of a KPI is how much money you spend.
    Specific- How much money spent
    Measurable- Amount of money spend compared to what is in your bank account
    Achievable- Save money by reducing spending or by putting it in savings
    Relevant- Don’t spend more than you have in your bank account
    Time-Variant- How much money you spend vs. how much you have in your account. Also how much money you saved vs. how much you spent.

• KPI: How many times I curse a day.
    Specific: show exactly the frequency of me swearing
    Measurable: count the number of time I curse
    Achievable: just count the number each time I swear
    Relevant: As many curses in one day, it shows that I probably have a bad day, lots of bad thing may happen to me.
    Time: can count daily

• My personal social media use
    Specific: the usage being looked at is my personal use
    Measurable: amount of time spent per day on social media platforms
    Achievable: I can lessen/increase my social media use depending on my purpose
    Relevant: I could be wasting too much time on social media that I could budget elsewhere to improve my overall work ethic.
    Time: Hours spent working vs. hours spent on social media

• An example of a KPI is the amount of hours I sleep per night. This is specific and measurable because I use an app to calculate the amount of time I sleep and am awake during the night. It is achievable because I can go to be earlier or drink less coffee later in the day to get better sleep. It’s relevant because the amount of sleep I get has an affect on my overall health and how concentrated I am in school. It is time variant because I can use my app to see how much I sleep I receive daily, weekly, monthly, etc.

• An example of KPI is my Macros. I use an app to determine how many carbs, fats, and protein do I have for the day after each meal
    Specific- I can count my each calorie
    Measurable- I can use the app to count my macros
    Achievable – I can eat less carb when I reach my limit
    Relevant- I could be eating healthy foods but high in carb and go over my maintenance calories which is not good
    Time- count daily

• My time spent procrastinating.

Specific – Shows how much time I spend not doing what I should be.
    Measurable – I can count the amount of hours that pass before I get started.
    Achievable – I can reduce the amount of time spent procrastinating by looking at the sheer stats of time spent being unfocused.
    Relevant – The other aspects of life are affected by time spent doing nothing productive.
    Time – Counted daily or weekly depending on tasks left to do

• A KPI use on a daily/weekly basis is how much time it takes me to commute to and from school.
    Specific: The amount of time it takes me to commute to and from school.
    Measurable: I can count how much time it takes me to commute each day/week/month.
    Achievable: I can adjust my schedule to take express trains or avoid peak hours to decrease my commute time or drive to school instead.
    Relevant: Keeping track of the amount of time I spend commuting, that can be saved to complete other tasks.
    Time: Counted daily or weekly depending on how often i commute.

• An example of a KPI would be the word count when writing an article. It is specific because I either met the word count or I didn’t. It is specific because it is exactly how many words I have written. It’s achievable because I can figure out how long I should talk about one point in relation to the overall piece. It is relevant because I can know how much further I have to go until my task is finished. It is time-phased because I can figure out how long it takes me to write a certain amount of words and adjust my schedule accordingly.

• How many times I eat
    Specific:The amount of times i eat a day
    Measurable:I count the amount of meals i have a day
    Achievable: I decide the amount of meals i should have per day
    Relevant: it can help me balance a healthy diet
    Time:tracking by day

• A KPI I use on a weekly basis would be the hours I’m at work.
    Specific: Exact amount of hours I spend on the job at a weekly basis
    Measurable: I can access my hour logs via temples portal and the KRONOS system
    Achievable: I may come in later or leave early depending on my hour goals and workload.
    Relevant: How much time I spend at work can effect my study habits or help me plan for my financial budgeting.
    Time: Hours recapped on a weekly basis and logged on a daily basis.

• An example of KPI is battery life on your computer.
    Specific: It gives you the exact percentage of your battery life.
    Measurable: It records it as you use it and as you charge it depending on usage or time plugged in.
    Achievable: The less you use your computer the higher it will be, as well as when you charge it.
    Relevant: It lets you know when you should charge your computer or when its going to shut off.
    Time: It is refreshed all the time as long as you are on your computer.

• An example of a KPI I use is IMDB critic’s rating of movies I wonder if I should go see. It’s specific because it’s simply how good the critic thought it was. Measurable because it’s a rating system out of ten. Achievable so i don’t waste time seeing a crappy movie. Relevant because movies are expensive. Time: Anytime a critic reviews (which majority come the first few weeks of premiere) is adjusts the average rating.

• I personally use an application on my phone called “HabitBull” which allows me to set goals and then track my daily progress on each goal. For example, I am tracking how often I drink any alcohol using a “Yes” or “No” daily response to the question of whether I drank alcohol today; my objective is to drink any alcohol on no more than two days per week, and preferably less often. The application provides a calendar that visually shows my responses using green or red shaded calendar days and also gives a “success percent” for whatever length of time you choose to view.
    Specific: Whether or not I drank any alcohol. If I’d prefer to track how much alcohol I drink when I drink, the application also allows for that option.
    Measurable: I can count how many days I drank any alcohol on.
    Achievable: I can decide whether I want to grab a drink after work with my peers or not depending on how many times I’ve done had alcohol that week.
    Relevant: It helps me to minimize drinking
    Time: Tracks on a daily basis, progress can be viewed per day/week/month/etc.

• A KPI that I use daily is how many calories I consumed in a day, that I calculate through a meal-logging app.
    This is SPECIFIC and MEASURABLE because calories can be counted, and the app lets me know how many calories I am eating per item, meal and day.
    It is ACHIEVABLE because based on my caloric intake, I can change my diet in order to consume less or more calories as needed.
    It is RELEVANT for me to stay in shape and for my health.
    It is TIME-RELEVANT because I can compare calorie intakes between meals, days and weeks.

• An example of KPI I use daily is the point system for MIS
    Specific: It’s demonstrates how active you are in Fox School of Business.
    Measurable: Every time you participate in a valid activity, it records points for you.
    Achievable: Collecting enough points will allow to graduate.
    Relevant: It displays your progress to graduation.
    Time: Through out the semesters

• KPI: Pedometers
    Specific: Shows the amount of steps one person has taken in a day.
    Measurable: It records how many steps one takes by detecting when the body swings from side to side when someone walks.
    Achievable: The more steps you take the more active you are.
    Relevant: Can be determining factor for how healthy someone is.
    Time: Measures steps after every day.

• An example of a KPI would be live maps of ski resort conditions. It is specific because it shows you exactly which trails are closed and why. It is measurable because it will tell you the difficulty/safety of each run. It is achievable because I can refer to the map when deciding which trails to take given the weather conditions. It is relevant because you don’t want to go down a run and break a bone, thus wasting the rest of the season. Time: it is refreshed daily according to conditions.

• An Example of KPI I use often, Is my Step Tracker on my Phone
    Specific: How many steps do I take daily, as well as the equivalence to how many calories it equates to
    Measurable: It can count the amount of steps I take everyday
    Achievable: According to WalkAbout, someone my age (18), should gear to walking around 11,000 steps per day. Committing, and striving for this goal, entails I live a fairly active lifestyle
    Relevant: For me to be active on a daily basis, and maintain a form of exercise
    Time: Over the course of a week, it can compare the amount of steps I’ve taken

• My grades are an example of a KPI. The percentage value of my scores is specific. Every time I submit a new assignment or do well on an exam, the changes are reflected on my percentage; this is a measurable attribute. If I decide to spend more time studying for an exam or improving the quality of an assignment, the increase in my percentage value is achievable. Grade percentage is relevant for GPA and for any advancement purposes. Time is also a factor because it is limited. I do not have forever to work on an assignment, my goal is to give my best in the given time frame.

• The time it take for me to walk my dog around where I live.
    Specific- steps are measurable
    achievable- the average time for people walking their dog.
    Relevant- How will this interfere with my daily schedule
    Time- average minutes

• KPI that I use daily:

Specific: I should not consume more than 3000 calories in a day.
    Measurable: How many meals do I eat in a day. (should not go over 5 meals)
    Achievable: It’s achievable because it’s based on my caloric intake.
    Relevant: It can help he eat a balanced diet.
    Time: Measured every day.

• One example of KPI I can think of is rate of graduation per class. The graduation rate tells me how many students per year graduate successfully. This is specific and measurable- number of student who register to graduate is a precise measure. It is achievable- schools can provide remedial courses and options to get a higher rate of student graduating. It’s relevant- graduation rate has an impact on the number of new students enrolling for a school. Lastly, it’s time-variant, because I can look at graduation rates per class that graduates.

• A Key Performance Indicator I use on a daily basis is my metabolism according to how much I can concentrate throughout the day.

Specific: It give evaluates how much information I can retain after each class looking at my notes. It evaluates my emotions such as my frustration and anxiety levels during my studying hours.
    Measurable: My attention span shortens every time I am required to do more than one thing at once. My anxiety and frustration levels increases when I exposed to large workload of assignments in one day.
    Achievable: I take 20 minute naps in between each assignment per course but if I take a nap longer than that I will not have the ability to function.
    Relevance: My metabolism displays the amount of progress towards the end of each semester.
    Time: Throughout each course and given deadlines.

• A KPI I use on a daily basis, is how many steps ive taken that day through my iphine health app
    Specific- Records steps taken in any given time period
    Measurable- You can look back at steps taken within minutes/ hours/ days/ weeks/ months/ years.
    Achievable- There are days you walk more than others.
    Relevant- Allows you to keep track of your activity level.
    Time- Constantly recording your activity level, and allows you to look back on previous records

• An example of a KPI I use daily is how many website hits I get for my website. I can set goals for how many hits I want to get each day.
    Specific – It records the amount of website hits I get, and on what page, allowing me to see exactly how many I got.
    Measurable – I can see the amount of people that used my website.
    Achievable – Comparing the actual amount to the amount I want.
    Relevant – Lets me know the outreach I have
    Time – I can set any specific time frame of which I can see.

• An example of KPI is my performance during a semester.
    Specific- The percentage of grades i get in each class
    Measurable- GPA
    Achievable- How much time I spend a week studying.
    Relevant- Is the class a pre-requirement and what i need to pass the class
    Time- During a semester

• An example of a KPI could be grade point average required for dean’s lsit
    Specific- It measures what your grade is, averaged in your classes.
    Measurable- When you get grades it is translated to the 4 point scale
    Achievable- There is room for some loss but still you are still able to get to it
    Relevant- It is based off of getting correct information and completing objectives
    Time- It is per semester

• As the web editor for a magazine, I often look at the number of views and interactions people have with articles. This is also relevant for tweet interactions. These metrics can measure the levels of interest readers have in specific article topics, or whether our web traffic is increasing or decreasing.

• An example of KPI is the amount of money someone spend:
    Specific: How much he or she spends daily
    Measurable: The amount he or she makes compared to the amount he or she spends
    Achievable: Keep track of money
    Relevant: Saving more money, not spending more than he or she earns
    Time: Average money spent per week

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Office Hours
Mark Sabat (instructor) 2:30-3:30pm, Tuesdays and Thursdays, Speakman Hall 207h or by appointment.
ITA information
Michael Miller (ITA) By appointment only. Email: tuf88838@temple.edu