Section 004, Instructor: Mark Sabat

Weekly Question #10: Complete by April 20, 2017

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on April 20, 2017. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

Here is the question:

Think about a data-driven service that you use regularly (i.e., Blackboard, Amazon.com, Facebook). Imagine you want to store the data for that service in a spreadsheet – what would each row in the spreadsheet represent? What would some of the data columns be?

(For example, Yelp.com stores restaurant reviews. A row would be an individual review, and some columns would be the name of the restaurant, the type of food they serve, the address, the star rating, and the name of the reviewer.)

43 Responses to Weekly Question #10: Complete by April 20, 2017

• data driven service- snapchat
    columns- how many people are on snapchat; reviews; how many snaps are sent a day; how many snaps are received a day
    rows- individual numbers for each column

• data driven service – twitter

columns – number of active daily users, total number of subscribers, number of tweets posted per day, daily trending topics
    rows – corresponding integers or characters for each column

• For Blackboard, some potential rows would be:
    • Course Name
    • Course Instructor
    • Day(s) of Class (either state the days I take the class i.e. – Monday, Tuesday,… , or the number of times I have the class per week i.e. – 1, 2, 3)
    • Time of Course
    • Number of Assignments Available
    • Number of Assignments Completed
    • Assignments Score (# of Assignments Completed/# of Assignments Available)
    • Overall Course Grade

The columns would list the respective entries for the rows listed above for each course I am taking.

• For Instagrams it store users photos. A row stores a user name, and some columns would be the photos stored, user biography, amount of followers, amount of those the user is following, and amount of photos posted.

• For Twitter columns could include Twitter handle, Number of followers, Number of people following, Number of tweets and Number of replies. The rows would then be the data that fits into each column.

• Amazon.com stores online shopping. A row can be an individual with an amazon account, and some columns can be the amount of orders that person has done, amount of orders that are on their way to be delivered, and amount of orders cancelled.

• -Instagram
    Rows could include :
    Number of pictures
    Number of followers
    Average amount of likes per picture
    Number of people following
    Followers/following ratio

• when i think about a data driven service it will be

Connect mcgraw hill accounting
    Columns will be:
    Number of assignment , students name : registration ID
    Rows: assignment grades, name of student : class in which they are enroll

• For Amazon:
    The columns would have the numerical values
    the rows could be:
    product, average review score, price, correlation of being bought with other products

• data driven service:- Facebook Messenger
    Row would represent the username and column would be the interaction history with other user, such as chat history, shared photos, and other information.

• For Facebook some columns might include number of friends, amount of time spent on site or app, number of posts, number of photo albums, number of mutual friends. And then the rows could be a person’s friends names.

• ESPN uses many different spreadsheets to display statistics. In the case of NBA player stats, each row would represent an individual player, and the columns could display values for points per game, rebounds per game, assists per game, and field point percentage.

• For snapchat the first row could be username, snap score, and snaps per day then the columns under the first row could be the corresponding data. For example the data for my user would be column 1: tylervelez column 2: 22,262 column 3: 20 and it could continue down with more users.

• Data-drive Service: Tumblr
    Columns: reblogs, likes, and also different types of posts: text, q&a, photo, video, music
    Rows: Blog usernames

• Data driven service: Twitter
    Columns: Number of retweets, Number of favorites, Number of DMs, Date Joined, Number of Tweets
    Rows: Twitter Handles

• Data-driven service-WhatsApp
    The columns might include, the average number of messages received in a week, the average number of status updates made in a week, and the average number of calls made in a week.
    On the other hand, the rows might include the contact names

• Data-driven service- Instagram
    Rows- Username and bio
    Columns- # Photos posted, # of followers, # of following

• For GroupMe:

Rows would include my name or number, and columns could be time spend using the app, average number of people in my groups, number of groups I’m in.

• A data driven service I use a lot is Instagram.

The Rows and columns could be: the daily users/usernames, their number of followers and followings, number of likes, and number of pictures, and number of likes you give per day.

• For Instagram the rows would have usernames and the columns would have the average numbers of likes per photo, the number of followers, number of people they’re following, and the amount of pictures they have.

• For Facebook, some fields may include age, marital status, education, and other criteria that appear in a Facebook profile. These demographics would help target advertising and visualize trends in certain demographics’ Facebook usage.

• We could take statistics for Twitter such as:

Columns: Followers, Following, # of Tweets, Replies, Likes, Retweets, # of Times visiting the App/Website each day

Rows: All of the rows contain quantitative figures (sums of each)

We could then use this data to find averages such as average Likes per Tweet, Retweets per Tweet, Tweets per visit, etc.

• For Amazon:
    I believe the columns would be the product id, product quantity, manufacturers, distributors, price, last on sale
    The rows would contain the product id, product quantity, # of manufacturers, # of distributors, price, and the date when the product was last on sale.

• For Reddit:
    Some rows could be the individual subreddit that Reddit contains. And for columns you could have the # of posts, # of subscribers, # of comments, # of upvotes.

• ESPN fantasy football app, displays the player’s name, position and number of points scored.

• Data-driven service is Facebook
      Some rows would include education, age, number of photos, number of photos, and number of friends.

• A data Driven website I frequently use is GMAIL

Some of the columns would be;

-Name of sender
    -Email of Sender
    -Date of email
    -Time of email
    -Subject
    -MB in Body

• Blackboard is a great example.
    The rows could be indiviual students
    Columns could be:
    -Homework Grades
    -Test Grade
    -Quiz Grade
    -Attendence

• For Amazon:
    The columns would have the numerical qualities, like the item id, item amount, producers, trader, value and sale

The rows could be an item, normal survey score, value, the connection of being purchased with different items.

• An example of a data-driven service would be Twitter
    The columns would include:
    -Followers
    -Following
    -Pictures
    -Number of Tweets
    -Replies
    And the rows would include all the quantitative data from each of the columns.

• An example of a data-driven service I often use is LinkedIn. The rows would represent each individual, the columns would represent the following:
    – 1st Column: Individual’s Name
    – 2nd Column: Number of Connections
    – 3rd Column: Total Number of Posts
    – 4th Column: Total Number of “Liked” articles
    – 5th Column: Total Number of Comments on other people’s posts
    – 6th Column: Total Number of Endorsements
    – 7th Column: Total Number of Recommendations Received
    – 8th Column: Total Number of Recommendations Given

• For a company like Netflix, an excel spreadsheet columns would have:

The name of the TV Show/Movie
    Cast
    Crew
    Genre
    Netflix rating
    How many seasons? If applicable
    How many episodes?

• For Instagram:
    Date of photo posting
    Number of followers
    Number of following
    Amount of Likes
    Number of comments

• Platform: Twitter
    Columns: # of followers, # of tweets, # of likes, # of retweets
    Rows: Respective values for each column

• An example of Data-Driven Service is Facebook.
    Some rows would include – Age, number of friends, city of residence, education,

• For ESPN’s Recruiting Database:
    Columns: Ranking, Name of Player, Positon, Hometown, Height, Weight, Recruiting Stars, Choice of School
    Rows: Player info

• Data Driven service: Blackboard
    Rows: Assignments completed, Assignments not completed, Assignments, Grades for those assignments, Instructor Name, Course being taken
    Columns: entries for those mentioned above

• Data Driven Service: Twitter
    Rows: No. of tweets, Likes etc.
    Column: total number for each person

• Data Driven service: Youtube
    Columns: Trending, History, Your Uploads, Best of Youtube, etc.
    Rows: Video info (link)

• Data-Driven Service: Yelp
    Columns: Name of Restaurant, Category, City, State, Rating
    Rows: The Data

• Data driven service: Livescore
    Columns: Teams matches
    Rows : results, fouls, offsides, corners, time goals were scored

• Service: MyFitnessPal
    Columns: # of meals per day, calories per item, # steps per day, # of workouts
    Rows: values for each item

• Data driven service – snapchat
    Columns – how many snaps posted and sent
    Rows – number of filters, how many friends are added

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Office Hours
Mark Sabat (instructor) 2:30-3:30pm, Tuesdays and Thursdays, Speakman Hall 207h or by appointment.
ITA information
Michael Miller (ITA) By appointment only. Email: tuf88838@temple.edu