Section 004, Instructor: Mark Sabat

Weekly Question #11: Complete by April 27, 2017

Leave your response to the question below as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on April 27, 2017. It only needs to be three or four sentences.

What was the most important takeaway (from your perspective) from this course? If you had to explain to a future MIS0855 scholar what this course was about, what would you say?

43 Responses to Weekly Question #11: Complete by April 27, 2017

• I think the most important take away from this course is learning about data and how to deal with specific types of data, like cleaning it and good/bad types, things like SMART, KPI’s and also ways to make good visualizations on Tableau.

• My major is advertising research, and it is easily how to make data engaging and interesting. Dull presentation and boring numbers do not get agencies hired, but if your’e able to present data in a interesting story – you’re miles ahead of the competitions.

• What I mostly took away from this course is how to thoroughly analyze data and take advantage of the technologies provided to me like excel and tableau. This class made me put more data and what I am analyzing into perspective. Tableau was had to learn, but in more ways than one it helps with data visualization and having your data set understood.

• I have not always been a data or “numbers” person but this class has taught me how to manage data effectively using Tableau and Excel. My resume has potentially been updated with the skills I learned and the tools provided in this class.

• This class helped me to learn skills with how to deal with data. The class helped me learn how to look through data and clean the bad data which is an important skill. I also learned more effective techniques in excel as well as how to use tableau.

• My most important (and favorite) takeaway from this course was learning how to analyze data sets with Tableau. I will be using Tableau for my internship this summer, so getting a solid understanding will certainly benefit me. Being a huge sports fan, the one in-class assignment from this semester where we analyzed college basketball statistics was my favorite.

• The most important takeaway from this course in my opinion is that data is everywhere and there are so many different ways to view and display it. Using excel and tableau are great tools that we go to take away from being in the course that we can now use in our future endeavors.

• The most important takeaway from this class is the ability to analyze data sets using Excel and Tableau. These programs are integral for those who want to perform data science. This course is an introduction to the various ways to analyze, clean, and present data correctly.

• The most important take away from this class is using new technologies like Tableau. I enjoyed using it for projects as well as outside the classroom for my own individual projects. It was also interesting to clean data and learn best practices.

• The most important take away from this class, for me, was the use of Tableau, and the insight of how much data is used and changing our world. Its interesting to see how the world is changing with the ability to collect large amounts of data relatively easily, and equally as interesting to see it made into an easy to read visualization.

• The most important takeaway in my opinion is learning how to use Tableau effectively. It is a very useful resource and being proficient with it ups your value. Also this class goes into depth about data and its many uses which is interesting in its own way.

• The most important takeaway from this class in my opinion is being able to understand more about data. I learned how biased it can be, how to manage it the right way and how to integrate it into software like Tableau. This class was actually really helpful and interesting. I would tell a future student that this class is all about how to understand and manage data.

• For me, the most useful lesson I will take away from this course will be the ability to understand the process of analyzing a data set correctly. Being able to bring an idea, all the way through the data set scrubbing to making the data visualizations.

• I think learning to use data visualization tool like Tableau was important take away from this course. But also getting to learn different functionality of excel such as vlookup is important for cleaning data and adding data. It was also interesting to know importance of data in profit and non profit organizations. Overall it was a good experience to learn about data and its visualization.

• I found that the most useful lessons in this class were the use of Tableau and Excel. As technology begins to take over our our world it’s important that we stay on top of the different uses. This can be helpful in our future jobs and can come back when we get into the “real world”.

• For me, the most important takeaway in this class was being able to learn how to use Tableau. Now, I feel more confident when trying to create my own projects in Tableau, and I feel I can use it in my professional life in the future.

• The most important takeaway from this course for me was learning how to use Tableau and Excel effectively. While I was previously familiar with Excel, it was really beneficial to go through the in-class exercises and learn how analyze data sets using both of the softwares. To explain the course to a future MIS student I would say that it helps you gain insight on what it is like to manage and analyze data.

• The most important thing that I learned from this class was always making sure your data is correct. If one’s data is incorrect you will spend more time fixing it then analyzing it. If I had to explain this course to a future MIS student I would say that it helps you understand the basics of data and what it can accomplish.

• The most important takeaway is that there is so much data available in the world. A lot of it can be important; however, it needs to be organized, analyzed, and interpreted first before it can be used. Most data can be used by individuals and businesses, and can be the difference between a success and failure, or making and losing money. Luckily, there are numerous resources becoming available, such as Tableau, to make working with data easier to do.

• My biggest takeaway from this class overall is how businesses use data to determine success and make intelligent decisions. Without this class, I don’t think I would have this perspective of data (because I am in a data journalism class) and it opened me up to many different uses for big data. The programs we used are also essential to getting a job in any data field these days. Putting Tableau and Excel proficiency on my resume helped me get a data journalism internship this summer at an investigative firm, and will help me get jobs in the future. Because of this class, I have a well-rounded understanding of the collection, analysis and presentation of data.

• In my view, this course was about learning how to manage and manipulate data. This could be done through software like tableau and excel in which certain trends from the data could easily be visualized.

• The most valuable skills learned in the class was learning ways to use Tableau and Excel. However, the main purpose of the course is an introduction to data, and one of the most surprising things I learned about was the need to clean data sets almost as much as entering them.

• The most important thing I learned from this class is using tableu. I believe this class was about figuring out how to manage and manipulate and how software like tableu and excel can my work more efficient and effective.

• The most important takeaway to me from this course is how to analyze and visualize data using Tableau. This tool will probably help me a lot in my future career.

• One of the most important things that I took away from this course was the transformation of raw data into visuals that we can understand and learn from. This class was the first time I was ever introduced to Tableau and the value that it brings to understanding data. It is a useful resource that can help me in the future.

• The most important important thing I took away from this course is realizing how much data can be gathered from us today thanks to technology and what ‘progress’ can be made using big data. I’d say this class is about how to collect, analyze, and present data.

• My most important takeaway from Data Science is how much data mining goes around us all day. We all use Facebook, Twitter, Netflix, Youtube almost everyday, but only some will recognize how big data is a part of all those platforms. If I use Netflix, now I know that Netflix takes into account the types of shows and movies I like to watch and recommend new titles for me. This is only possible with constant data mining.

• Learning Excel and Tableau was the key skills that I have taken from this course. I imagine that using Excel and Tableau would be essential for me in the future whether it be for a job or a personal financing. Another thing I feel was important was the use of manipulating data to argue or disprove ideas, data can be manipulated in many ways so it’s important to take a good look at multiple perspectives in order to not draw false conclusions/correlations.

• I feel that the most significant take-away was learning Tableau. Upon entering this course, I was proficient in using Excel but had never even heard of Tableau. I am blown away with how useful and relevant Tableau! I’ve used in it my current job and I’ve discussed it in multiple interviews purely because of this class – I would not have known of it otherwise. No matter what field an individual is, it will always be advantageous to be familiar with data management software.

• For me, the most important takeaway was learning how to structure, interpret, and present data. I think that Excel, Tableau, and the Piktochart application were the best tools we learned about. The theme of numbers and data determining future outcomes is very important to me because I am majoring in statistics. If I had to explain to a future student about what this class is about, I would say my first sentence of this response: this class is about learning how to structure, interpret, and present data.

• Tableau was the most important thing i took away from this calss. This is a great program that I could use in he real world and put on my resume

• Most importantly I think the experience in excel and tableau were the main things I took from class. I am a film major so it’s a bit of a foreign language for me. However it can be very useful for me especially when I’m trying to coordinate events or films so I can keep thins organized and easily accessible.

• The most important thing I took away from this course was the use of Tableau. Also, the advanced functions on Excel I did not know. I’ll use these skills in my future career as an analyst.

• then most important take away was using tableau and excel together. Tableau gave me a software to analysis data and how to interrupt data.

• Making data engaging. If you can’t make data engaging then no one is going to care.

• My major is psychology and I often have to work with large data sets in my research lab. This course helped me to improve my excel skills when managing large data. Additionally, I had never heard of Tableau before this course which could be a valuable tool for producing visualizations of data analyses for future conference presentations.

• The most important thing i learned throughout the class is to work with Tableau.This software will be very useful in the future for organizing data.I learned how to be proficient at it and how to solve problems that can occur when organizing data.

• This course will help you understand how to use Excel and Tableau. Not only will it help you to understand those databases but it will help you understand how they work and the purpose of using them

• I believe the most important takeaway from this course is the understanding that data can be manipulated in may ways, consciously and unconsciously, to support a hypothesis. It is important to recognise the native bias’ in these data to ensure that when you are formulating a testable hypothesis that you are looking at the correct portions and relevant portions of the useable data sets.

• I believe the most important takeaway from this course is learning new things in Excel and also learning Tableau.

• I think the mot important take away from this course is the important functions we learned in Tableau. As emphasized, these skills can now be added to our resume and help us to analyze data. It is important to utilize everything learned in future learning environments and projects.

• The most important take away from this course was learning about data and how to deal with specific types of data. Also making good visualizations on Tableau.

• For me, the most important takeaway from this course was learning how to analyze data in Tableau and gaining a much better understanding of how to use Excel. This course got me interested in learning more about data and data analysis, and it was a great introduction to these topics.