Section 006, Instructor: Shana Pote

Weekly Question #11: Complete by November 30, 2016

Leave your response to the question below as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on November 30, 2016. It only needs to be three or four sentences.

What was the most important takeaway (from your perspective) from this course? If you had to explain to a future MIS0855 scholar what this course was about, what would you say?

23 Responses to Weekly Question #11: Complete by November 30, 2016

• I believe the most important takeaway from this course how to analyze datasets and how to use them in Excel and Tableau. I think these skills are important to every scholar because every student should know how to differentiate data and set them into the correct categories. Also, what tools a person use to make datasets are very important. A huge bonus is with these tools you can create data visualizations which can make you have an advantage over the rest of the scholars. I would tell a future scholar that this course MIS0855 is about learning how data is everywhere and learning different ways people how people analyze it and what we can tell just based off data.

• What I think is the most important takeaway from this class is how to make successful visualizations, from what kinds of graphs to use and how to make info graphics. I feel like this skill is the one that will affect most people in the long run and really help us stand out in jobs. It’s also a skill that isn’t focused on a lot in other classes. We may learn to use a certain type of graph, but not a lot of data driven classes talk about the more artistic, or visually pleasing side of the process. I would explain to the future scholar that this class is about how to take the mess of data around you and present it to others, whether that data comes in excel sheets or simple observation and whether the “presenting” is a simple oral explanation or a full on graphic presentation.

• The most important takeaway from this course is how to best represent data to the data consumer. Whether that be infographics, data visualizations, or dashboards, certain information needs to be displayed in a specific way to make it easier for the data consumer to understand what the original data meant. For an incoming student, I would say that this course is about learning the basics of visualizing data. It’s a great introduction into the dos and don’ts of taking data from a very raw form and then analyzing and producing an end product that a user can gain knowledge from.

• The most important takeaway from this course was the inherent biases in data and the cycle for bad decision making. I saw both of these in application during this election cycle, and multiple other circumstances in which the the incorrect collection of data led to mistrust of data and so on. Tableau was also a very important takeaway since I know I can use it for various other things outside of the class. If I had to explain what this course was to an incoming student, I would say it is an introduction to viewing data differently than he or she has been prior to taking the class.

• The most important takeaway from this course is the basis of data analysis. I am a journalism student who knew nothing about data, Excel,Tableau, or CIS community. This also made me lose some points at the beginning of this semester. It I meet a future MIS0855 scholar, I will explain this course is about data basics, data analysis, and data visualization. From my experience, I learned how to design cool infographics, clean data sets, distinguish difference caused by different criterions, and so on. It is a great course to start your data learning.

• I believe that the two most important takeaways from this course would be the ability to analyze a data set and becoming more familiar with Tableau and Excel. If I was to explain this course to a future student in MIS0855, I would say it should be a required course for all students. Not matter what field or industry you want to go into after Temple, Excel and data sets are going to be part of it and MIS0855 Data Science has laid the groundwork for having the skill sets required to be successful.

• From my perspective, the most important takeaway from this course was that data and the information that can be derived from data is extremely valuable to a wide variety of organizations such as businesses and governments. If explaining this course to a future MIS0855 scholar, I would say that it is about how data can be analyzed and understood in order to make practical decisions about the future and how this is very important to society today and will become increasingly important in future years.

• The most important thing that I believe that I learned in this course is that data is everywhere. No matter what we do and how we do it, we always are interacting with data. The number one thing is understanding how to manage that data and I believe that from this course, I now have a better understanding as to how to go about doing that. We will never 100% get everything right because data constantly changes. However, the one thing we can do is change with the data and always find new ways to adapt with it!

• The most important takeaways from this course for me are data analysis and spotting biases. I learned how to wisely use the data and pay more attention to the information I collect and receive. If I were to explain this course to a future student in MIS0855,I would say that the things taught in this class are not only for business major students. In fact, they are very useful tools for all major students.

• The important things to take away from this course is how to analysis data and the different forms of data. I learned that in this course that all data has a bias and it is important to notice that and to short out the good and bad data. Before this class i did not pay a lot of attention to all of the data around me and the importance of small details even if that are not important. For the future students i would say this class has many tools that will be used in the school and the workplace and to Pay attention to small details because they could ruin a data set

• In my opinion, the most important takeaway I gained from this course is how abundant data is in the world. Organizations and individuals produce and processes large amounts of data on a daily basis in order to make various decisions. These decisions can be as small as a student looking for a place to eat by using Yelp or as big as a country using census data to analyze the impact of major global events. Of course raw data by itself isn’t useful until it is analyzed and displayed, which is another important takeaway gained from this course.

• From my perspective, the most important takeaway from this course is learning how to use Tableau. In this class and especially in the Data Analysis challenge, I really learned to use Tableau and how it would benefit me in a future job. If I had to explain what this course was about, I would say that this class is about data and how to analyze data sets specifically using Excel and Tableau.

• The most important takeaway from this course for me was to analyze a data set, spotting bias and becoming more familiar with Tableau and Excel. I am currently an MIS major and would like to obtain a minor in data analytics, so getting a intro into data science was very beneficial. If I were to explain this course to a future student in MIS0855, I would say that they should pay attention and try to understand Tableau because it is a universal skill to have and can be useful in many careers.

• I think the most important takeaway is learning how to use excel and tableau. These are skills you need to have in the business world and it really is a good way to set yourself apart for the competition. Before this class I honestly was not good at excel and now I am much more confident with my skills. Also, I had no idea what Tableau was and proven by our TA it can really help you get a job.

• So far in this class, my biggest takeaways include familiarity with tableau and Excel; How data can be used, manipulated and visualized in order to tell a story, create knowledge to enable users make important decisions, make useful predictions , educate people on certain issues, help business build strategies, develop performance indicators and so on. Data is everywhere and their use is inevitable. A person subconsciously performs data analytics when he or she decides to eat an apple instead of a banana.

• First of all I like the fact that I am familiar with tableau and excel in this class. My biggest takeaway from this class is how data can be used, manipulated or visualized in order to enable users make important decisions, make predictions in different situations, develop performance indicators, educate users on different issues, help businesses develop effective strategies and so on. Wherever we are go, the use of data is inevitable. A person is subconsciously using data analytics when he or she decides to eat an apple instead of a banana.

• I should begin by stating that I had little knowledge in how to effectively use excel and tableau before I took this class. However, if there was one thing that would take away from this class, it’s the skills that I acquired in analyzing and properly organizing data sets. This skill set has not only allowed me to increase my comprehension in understanding data as a whole, but has also allowed peak my interest in data analytics. Data is everywhere and present in just about every endeavor we as people take part in; this class has equipped me with the necessary tools to further my career and interests in data science.

• Before explaining what I believe what I thought was the most important takeaway from this course, I wanted to say I really did enjoy the course because it opened my mind to a whole new world I didn’t think was there. In my opinion, the most important takeaway was how to analyze data sets and even clean data sets. Furthermore, I can now use Excel a lot better than I used to in the past and I am able to use Tableu create data visualizations. If I had to explain what this course was about to a future student, I would say to them that you will learn how companies use data to make decisions more often than they use human input. You will also learn how to work with data in industry standard software.

• The most important takeaway from the course, in my opinion, is the development of the ability to thoroughly and objectively analyze and visualize data. Using tools like Tableau and Excel, I have valuable skills which will serve me well both in my academic and professional career, and I have also enhanced my critical thinking skills. Analyzing data sets has taught me to extract information from them and apply them to real life situations. This is a skill that does not discriminate and I will use it for the rest of my life.

• Out of all the classes I’ve taken this semester, this is definitely the one that I have learned the most practical knowledge practical knowledge from. I didn’t know much about using Excel previously, so I’m glad we learned how to use it because it’s pretty much universally useful. Then other skills like the ability to use Tableau only further my ability to process data. I’m confident that taking this course will help me in the future in my professional life.

• I think the most important takeaway from this class is how to analyze datasets and how to use tools such as Excel and Tableau to manage and display knowledge that is extracted from the data. This course does not make me “fluent” in Excel but I have become much more comfortable when it comes to using Excel as a tool to break down complicate datasets. The same thing applies to Tableau. This course gives me the skill to tackle complex data and numbers which I once thought the job only technical people can do. I would highly recommend anyone to take this course because the materials learned in this course were very interesting, extremely easy to absorb, and immediately applicable to almost everything from personal to professional.

• I think the most important takeaway from this class is how to make visualization. I believe this is an important and useful skill to make as competitive in workplace. I would explain to the future scholar that this class is an introduction to Big Data. They will know what Big Data is and have a close touch to it. In this class they will learn about how to deal with data and how to analyze data.

• The most important takeaway from this course that I have taken is now knowing how to not only understand, but also to be able to interpret large datasets and make sense of them. I now know how to look for biases in data, and utilize various pieces of software to help better translate, and make large quantities of data more presentation friendly in order to make findings more easy to navigate for people. I would explain to the future scholar that this class teaches many practical skills in regards to data that would be very valuable to know even if they are going into a field not totally related to big data.