MIS 2101.702 – Amy Lavin – Fall 2017

Weekly Question #7

Leave your response as a comment on this post by Sunday, October 15th at 11:59PM Your response only needs to be about three or four sentences. These weekly questions should reinforce class discussions, readings and show some insight.  

Hint: If you sign into the site using your AccessNet ID and password you won’t have to fill in the name, email and captcha fields when you leave your comment.

For this weekly question, I am mainly interested in your biggest takeaway from this class.  After spending the last 7 weeks learning about how you, as business professionals, will utilize technology in the workforce to be efficient and effective, what do you think is the most important aspect of technology in the workforce?  What key elements can you use to shape your future (or current) outlook?

29 Responses to Weekly Question #7

• The most important aspect of technology when utilizing it in the workforce is the ability to be fast and have many connections with everyone. For example the use of platforms being able to advertise other platforms out there is amazing. Having all these connections and databases to help us out is what makes the business world so advanced and move so fast. I also think CRM’s are another great tool. Being able to connect with your customers is a major part of your business. All of the techniques programs learned in this class gave me a bigger insight on how it can help me in the future when dealing with technology in business.

• Technology is, unarguably, the most important aspect in the workplace. From production management to human management, so much relies on technology to be able to effectively and efficiently expand a business. As mentioned in an article about artificial intelligence by Tim Urban, human progress is growing at an exponential rate, which means looking around, businesses who own the ability to change the world and are technology manipulators. It is hard to separate our lives today form technology; we live, eat and breath technology. It cannot be more worthwhile and rewarding for a 21st-century business to integrate a high tech system into its core management in term of productivity, collaboration, cost management, and security. This class helps me to once again recognize the importance of such sytems for a business to run by itself.

• Technology runs our world. It is in every aspect of what we do now. I learned that if I can do my job, and be tech savvy my career will be much easier and go a lot further than if I do not understand technology. I can use simple swim lanes to help map out decisions my department makes and make my job and everyone else’s easier and more understandable. Technology can also be used to make long processes much quicker. You can use technology in any aspect of business and it is almost always beneficial to do so.

• In the era of a growing digital economy, the role of technology across all facets of society is becoming more and more prevalent. In the workforce, specifically, the most important aspect of technology from a managerial perspective is the use and implementation of it to streamline and optimize business processes. This would reflect in many ways, such as improving overall customer experience, cutting fixed and variable costs, automating job duties, self-marketing through platforms, and intertwining various functional areas to improve overall business functionality. Through the use of swim lane diagrams, ERP’s, ERD’s, SCM’s, and CRM’s, all of those outcomes can eventually be achieved.

• From taking this course I have learned a lot about how technology works within an organization and how it makes a company more efficient. Also, this course helped me better understand how many different departments one company has to complete a process. In addition, this course as taught me how different departments are related and how much it means to the company to have all departments functioning for the company’s success. I understand better how to utilize a business process.

• After taking this course I have learned many things about about the implementation of technology in business. This class helped me better understand how different components of a company are connected and how they interact. What helped me understand this most was when we learned about swim lane diagrams. Not only that but the other things we learned in this course could help further myself in business, especially when it comes to technology.

• As we learned in the first week, information technology drives all business. I knew that technology can work to keep a business organized, and this class taught me about the specific techniques, such as ERDs, which are used by businesses to sort data in away that is easy to follow and very accessible. Swim lanes and decision trees are also very important techniques used by businesses; these strategies help to keep the business plan flowing smoothly—saving the business time, which in turn, saves the business money. In conclusion, this course taught me how important the presence of technology is to a business. I learned that technology helps to guaranty that a business will run both efficiently and effectively.

• Technology is an ever-evolving part of society, especially in business. Everything we have discussed in class is going to be helpful and very use. I learned a lot about how businesses operate and plenty about the utilization of data and how to organize it. One of the most important things I have learned is that business is very much a team effort. No business can run successfully without people with a lot of knowledge in their field. Every department needs to do its part in order to get even one product on the market. Through the creating of swimlanes and ERDs, I saw clearly how important the relationships in a business is and how vital it is for a company’s success. Being an MIS major, I found that the material was interesting and challenging. I cannot wait to continue learning more about systems and seeing where the use of technology will lead us in the future.

• One of the biggest impacts this class has brought to my attention was not to underestimate the power of social media for use with business. I have never been the most in tune with social sites like Facebook and Twitter. I have realized that despite these sites seeming to be a barrage of unneeded or unrequited information. There can be a use for a place for people to see a stream of this information at will and knowing how to target individuals or groups can be extremely useful for any business to succeed.

• I believe that the efficiency that technology brings to businesses is the most important aspect of technology in the workplace. We have seen that technological advances in SCM, ERPs, CRM, and many other processes have allowed companies to become more efficient from start to finish. Businesses are able to streamline their processes in which they gather and share data more efficiently, creating more profits for the business. Technology has also made the communications process within and outside of the business more efficient. Business units can now easily talk to each other, and the overall business can communicate with its customers faster. ERDs and swimlane diagrams allow for more efficient processes, as these two diagrams cut out repetition and excessive costs. Technology drives businesses as it is able to not only cut costs but also increase sales. My future career will entail processes that will be helped by technology, so I can understand how current technology works in an effort to be ready to use it in my future career.

• Throughout this course, I believe swim lane diagrams are the most important for the success of my career. Whatever I end up doing after school, I will have to make decisions, and based on those decisions, there will be other decisions. This class taught me how to organize those decisions, and now I know all of the different swim lanes I can make; CRM, SCM, etc. This course also taught me how prominent technology is in the workplace.

• The biggest take away from this course for me is the interconnectivity that technology allows inside of a business. With that the implementation of swim lane diagrams is to me the most useful skill I’ve learned to be able to visualize business processes and decisions and how the different departments of an organization work together. With this you can visualize ERPs, SCMs, and CRM systems working in an organization and identify problem areas to improve your business processes. Overall, I thought it was a very useful course!

• There were many takeaways from this class that will help me as a business professional in the near future. How to create and analyze swim lane diagrams and ERD’s were one of my big takeaways. I never heard of them before and in the beginning was still a little confused, but now I fully understand how these diagrams are used to visualize a process and make a business more efficient. I also learned how technology is utilized in every business, and how it is consistently evolving. Overall, I did learn a lot in this MIS course and am definitely more tech savy from doing the Learn It and Max labs assignments!

• As we all know, technology is one of the most important aspects of a business. It is going to keep increasing rapidly. I think most important aspects in technology is to have speed and storage. Also, using technology along with other things we learned about like Swim lanes, ERD, CRM, and even platforms would cause a business to be one of the best. You would have everything set up and good to go if you follow these, I definitely would in my future.

• My biggest takeaway from this class is the importance of making sure you’re not enamored with the technology. To me, this entire class was a walking contradiction. We learned about the importance of streamlining processes and creating effective, user friendly systems on a system that was none of the above. From day one, I had the distinct sense that the site on which this class was hosted was created because it could be done, not because it should. Someone built custom software where an off the shelf solution would have worked better. Temple uses Blackboard and Canvas for other online classes. Why didn’t we? Other courses submit work within those same platforms. Why did we use Owl Box, a ridiculous system which requires each assignment be sent to a different place? I still fail to see a single redeeming quality of Owl Box. We learned Google Analytics by creating web pages no one will visit and we will probably never use again after this class. Why not use a more popular platform like LinkedIn or Facebook? Wouldn’t we have learned more by using a more popular system that stood a chance of generating more traffic? We followed rote instructions to create a Salesforce app but learned little or nothing about actually using Salesforce in the process. That last one is curious because it was mentioned in class how many businesses use it. It sure would have been useful for us to pick up some real experience that we could translate to the workplace. All of this is difficult to say, of course, because I enjoyed the subject matter so thoroughly. All throughout my working life I’ve been frustrated with clunky, outdated, inefficient systems that either didn’t do enough or did too much that wasn’t useful.
    Learning about what it takes to analyze, design, and then augment or replace existing systems was a liberating experience. Despite that, I still feel criticism of this system needs to be heard. Too often, I fear, people in classrooms and workplaces smile and nod instead of pointing out when something is wrong. The design of this course is wrong. It’s so wrong that I can’t be sure it wasn’t a test to see if someone would point it out and suggest a new system. After all, isn’t that part of the point of management information systems?

• For this weekly question, I am mainly interested in your biggest takeaway from this class. After spending the last 7 weeks learning about how you, as business professionals, will utilize technology in the workforce to be efficient and effective, what do you think is the most important aspect of technology in the workforce? What key elements can you use to shape your future (or current) outlook?

My biggest takeaway from this class would be learning how to understand the swimlane diagram’s and the ERD diagrams. As far as the technology part, I think something that is important to remember is that it entirely runs business. If technology shut down for a day, the world would be up in pieces. The most important part I would say is the ERP, because it can keep everyone on the same page and make the process of running a business much easier than it normally would. Going forward, I can look at the pros and cons of setting up an ERP when a business is thinking about implementing it, and carefully weigh the options.

• Before taking this course, I was unfamiliar with the daily use of technology with in a business. I had never even heard of swim lane diagrams and ERDs, but now I know how helpful they can be with running an efficient business. The correct utilization of technology in the workplace can lead to companies introducing ERPs and CRMs. This technology is incredibly effective if used correctly, and can make the job easier for employees, while also leaving customers more satisfied. It has become a necessity to use technology at work now, and I am happy that this course was able to educate me on something I might be doing in the future.

• I think understanding the concept of the amount of money these companies put in to have their operations all happen with the use of technology is astounding to me. To commit to something like that your company needs people who can understand how each department works, have head of departments who are borderline masters with their part of the system, and people who understand the system in whole. I hadn’t heard much of ERPs prior to this course and learning about them transformed my thinking of what I would like to do after graduation. This course helped me a ton, it was more than a grade it was an eye opener.

• Technology in todays world is extremely important in the workplace and beyond. My biggest take away from the class is all the different ways technology can be used and how company’s use swimlanes and ERD’s to help company’s perform more efficiently. I can see myself, even as a finance major, using ERD’s to help organize performances in a company, help organize certain cashflows, and really improve the efficiency of my work. The technology we discussed also really helps with a company’s CRMs and ERPs.

• I believe the most important aspect of technology in the workforce is making sure the information provided is accurate. As some would say, “trash in, trash out”. These systems, for example CRM and SalesForce, are only as good as the information that has been given. If they are not used properly, or not set up properly, the output may not be accurate which would deter people from using it and can then lead to more problems. The company I am with struggles with both CRM and SalesForce, but I will use the lessons learned throughout this course to sell them on the importance of these systems in hopes we could be more collaborative and efficient while also properly serving our customer.

• The biggest takeaway that i took from this class was the importance of technology. I was one of the few people who believed that technology was just one big thing but i realized there are so many parts to it. This class taught me all the different ways that technology is computed and made me realize how important technology is in today’s society.

• I learn a lot after taking this class, and the biggest takeaway I have learned in this class is technology. In any company and any business, technology is a key element in the majority of the processes. However, the more important thing is how to use technology effectively and apply in the practice.

• Prior to this course, I had no understanding of information systems. Now I understand that it is not just about the technologies and software available to use but the integration of these technologies and the needs of your business. You could have all the tools in the world, but if they aren’t integrated in the business plan, their useless. When I eventually start my own business I’ll know my options for building my business model.

• One of the biggest takeaways from this class would definitely be the ability to organize strategically to better accomplish goals of a company. I do not feel I gained a full understanding of it, since I have not been put into a real-world position yet, but I definitely was able to grasp the concepts that this MIS course presented. I think some on the things we will take away from this class are absolutely invaluable. For instance, I really enjoyed the Salesforce (MaxLabs) portion of the class. We were able to utilize technology in, what felt like, real business situations that we may run into in our futures in business.

• One thing that stuck out to me from the very beginning were swim lane diagrams. Not only will they help me in my career, but will help me in every day situations as well. As someone who has trouble staying organized, swim lanes will help keep me focused and will help me make decisions with more ease and efficiency, cutting out unnecessary steps and costs. After learning how important organization is to a company as well, and how different systems can help this organization, I feel that swim lane diagrams are the most helpful tool that I learned in this class, and the one that will be most beneficial to me in the future.

• One of the biggest takeaways I got from this course was the importance of technology in the business workforce. As our society becomes more and more reliant on technology, and as technology advances each and every day, it is important as future business professionals that we are on the frontline of these changes with a strong foundation in information systems technologies. Prior to this course I had a very limited understanding of information systems technologies, and I can proudly say that after this course I feel confident in my knowledge and ability to apply what I learned from here towards my future career in business! It was great that we were able to use technology and things we learned in class in real-world situations that will prepare us best for our future career endeavors.

• My biggest take away from this class was that I need to get myself more comfortable around technology. Any job I have ever had has given me anxiety when it came to learning how to use the different systems. Once I got myself acclimated I was fine, but just that. I am the kind of person who needs a step by step tutorial for any and everything concerning computers and its obvious that that will prove to be a challenge for me when I go out into the real world and try to sell myself. I’ve worked at Wawa for 8 years and learned that system inside and out but never thought past it, or how it could be bettered. I run our family business using google drive and excel and I feel like there is more out there to make my life easier and more productive and I am inspired to find it!

• My biggest take-away from this course is truly understanding what MIS is and how essential it is to any company. Before taking this course, I always thought MIS was the business side of IT of a company. That was just my bs answer. Now I realize MIS involves processes, efficiency, and strategic planning. Taking a look into inventory processes and different systems helped me improve my understanding of how a business works. One key element I can use in the future are swim lane diagrams. It’s a great starting point when understanding and planning a work flow.

• I think the biggest take away from this course is how important it is to properly implement an MIS as it could negatively affect an organization’s ROI tremendously. No matter if it is an ERP, SCM or CRM without understanding the problem and accessing the risks and potential solutions, there is no true benefit. A good example would be within my organization, we have an ERP that is not effective. I’ve learned today during an offsite training that the system is not built to support our cost center and sub location codes. Because of this, our accounting team cannot forecast the budget properly and make an effective business decision. Now, we are looking into an alternative system to pick up the pieces. However, if the proper channels were taken initially, we could have prevented this issue and saved the company thousands.