MIS 3537 – Spring 2017

100 second reflection for Week 11

Think for 100 seconds, and summarize the key things that you learned in the class during Week 11:

Starbucks Case

Lecture about Supply Chain IT Standards

24 Responses to 100 second reflection for Week 11

• This evening in class we discussed the benefits of electronic data interchange can have on businesses. An example we used included a craft beer company buying ingredients from a grain distributor and how data was exchanged during a purchase/sale. EDI allows consistent data to be available to both parties, and eliminates the chance of human error. This allows for proper quantities, to be sent at the proper time, and that they consist of the right products. Additionally, companies set their computer and information systems up in various ways, and there is little chance that two companies have their systems configured the same exact way. EDI allows for data to be interpreted and stored accurately within both companies systems.

• Reflecting on last nights class, while there were many things we went over, I think the review of EDI was very important and compelling to understand. When first going over it, I figured it was just like regular old email between entities, but further explaining revealed it is nothing like that at all. While the disadvantage of the capital required to implement and changing business practices is unfortunate, the added benefits clearly outweigh the cons. Obviously, increasing efficiency is a great plus, however I never thought of the environmental impact it would have, because of the lack of paper data. Additionally, reducing all the clutter and filing of paper is great for any company, and with this technology being older then the WWW, it is crazy to think that all businesses do not use this technology.

• The presentation on Starbucks was great, the group presented the information in a thoughtful and clear manner. I learned a lot from the supply chain IT standards. I had no idea EDI was older than the world wide web. I was also unaware EDI has so many standards. The technology increases efficiency and gets rid of paper based systems. However, it takes time to implement and it’s expensive. It’s interesting that some companies like WalMart require all partners to have an agreeable EDI system. Although I had heard of RosettaNet I knew nothing about it. Its standards and partners make it a useful tool for any company.

• Thinking back on the class from this week, there were a lot of topics that were relevant to the supply chains that companies deal with on a regular basis. A big topic was EDI and how companies share information with one another. Through EDI, companies are able to communicate seamlessly with one another without the chance of human error getting in the way. I also found it interesting that it is older than the internet. I also was able to take a lot from the ‘person wearing the hat exercise’ as it put into perspective how companies set up their systems differently from one another, and sending information back and forth can be complicated. It is through EDI systems that allows for translation of the data before being transferred back and forth by each company.

• The Starbucks case was an interesting example that helped to explain industry supply chain standards. There are multiple different stakeholders involved in creating standard policy, and sometimes appeasing all of them can be difficult for industry giants in particular. Additionally, EDI systems are valuable to many companies because of the potential they carry for accurate communication between supply chain members. Through extensive standardization, EDI systems help to eliminate different supply chain errors and costs.

• In week 11 went over collaboration and integration of both supply chains and their systems. We also went over EDI which is the structured exchange of data between organizations. Some advantages of EDI are; increased efficiency, cost savings, and reduces the use of paper based technologies. EDI has so many unique capabilities for a business, helping communication and data transmission and much more. EDI helps meet the supply chain IT standards of communication as well.

• Week 11 started with the Starbucks presentation which did a great job discussing supply chain standards. The EDI review taught me that it was much more complicated then I had previous understood, and it has many advantages companies should take advantage of. Although it is expensive and difficult to implement, it can provide efficiency upgrades as well as cost savings. It is also beneficial because it allows data to be accurately stored within both companies systems

• In week 11 we discussed the Starbucks case and then went on to talk about the standards in supply chains. One thing I noticed is tha Starbucks follows a lot of the ‘green’ policies in supply chains that we talked about in weeks prior. For example, their C.A.F.E. policies launched in 2004 that upkeeps the corporate social responsibility that Starbucks owes to its farmers, the farmers that are the core reason it is such a successful company. As far as the standards of supply chains go, one thing that intrigued me was the EDI component of the lecture. Before the internet, I just kind of assumed that everything was extremely tedious as far as supply chain communication. I was interested to learn that it wasn’t all as bad as I thought prior to the invention of the WWW.

• Week 11 involved the Starbucks case and learning about supply chain standards. I think the most interesting take away from the class was that business cannot only think about the final purchase they make, but the factors that start from the beginning. For example, Starbucks needed to look at the core problems and environmental risks of coffee growers. As a large buyer of coffee, Starbucks was able to set standards in place for coffee growers to take place in ethical behavior and sustainable practices. By setting standards in place, many businesses and people are able to make a change for the better starting from the source of the supply chain.

• After my team presented the Starbucks/CI case this week, we learned about EDI, or electronic data interface. I found it interesting how much more efficient a business can be when the bulk of data is transmitted electronically between organizations, rather than the manual method that is slowed down by paper and telephone communications. It also saves a significant amount of money when compared to the manual method. However, what I found most important from this lecture was the fact that EDI is not an end-all solution for businesses. A business planner must evaluate whether or not EDI is appropriate, considering the large up front costs and the need to be able to synchronize EDI software between different organizations.

• In week 11, we discussed the Starbucks case and the supply chain models that it used. One thing that was consistent was that Starbucks relied on small farmers to grow the coffee in both of the examples, Shade-Tree and Fair Trade. Starbucks also tried to be “green” and put as small of an impact on the environment as possible. During the lecture, the main topic that we reviewed was EDI, or Electronic Data Interchange. With EDI technology, companies could exchange business documents back and forth with ease without wasting paper in the process. The benefits of this were reducing costs, increasing processing speed, reducing errors, and improving business relationships.

• In week 11, we started off with the Starbucks case and how the company evolved their SC to incorporate a CSR project with CI. The move set a standard in the coffee industry that even a large company like Starbucks can change its SC to take account of the environment. The next half of class we learned about EDI standards. Through EDI, companies could communicate with each other electronically without having involving a large amount of paperwork like they used to. Although it is expensive to set up initially, it could bring huge cost savings across the supply chain. We also discussed RosettaNet, which I had never heard of it before, and how it is a standard that is widely adopted in electronic industry.

• This week we talked about starbucks and relevant IT standards. My biggest takeaway was the value added by businesses exchanging big data from organization to organization. This saves money time and more money creating more efficiency from business to business. In the lecture portion of class we talked about EDI. This acts as a facilitator for companies to partake in exchanging data.

• I thought this week was very interesting as starbucks as established itself as one of the biggest coffee retailers in the united states. Their supply chain has continuously evolved and they have focused on investing in new technologies to enhance the consumer experience. With the recent techonology ventures and improvements within its supply chain, as well as a new CEO, they have put themselves in a position to succeed. Lastly, it is important to mention EDI systems and the positive effects its had on starbucks. Many companies should look at this business model for direction.

• In week 11, I learned about Supply Chain IT standards, and how computers can communicate over a network and protocols. Protocols are computer communication standards that wrap the message in a packet. Electronic Data Interchange(EDI) is the structured transmission of data between organizations electronically. For EDI to work it needs a computer system, data transmission, message flow, document format, and software to interpret documents. Advantages of EDI include increased efficiency, cost savings, and reduced dependency on paper based systems.

• This week we went through the different standards of Supply chain IT. These standards help computers communicate.There are disadvantages and advantages to each standard. Organizations will transmit data through electronic data interchange. Properly implemented EDI can increase efficiency and save on costs as well as eliminate human error. Although it requires a large upfront investment for implementation, the system will pay for itself.

• Starbucks is a very successful company and it is trying to push it ethical supply chain standard to its vendors. It is clear that there are some advantages and disadvantages to building an ethical supply chain. In terms of advantages, an ethical supply chain might attract customers, build a healthy and reliable with Starbucks suppliers, improve Starbucks’ reputation, etc. In terms of disadvantages, an ethical supply chain might potentially increase the cost of the products for Starbucks, delay Starbucks supply delivery, and increase the complexity of Starbucks’ supply chain. Therefore, it is very important for Starbucks to do the cost and benefit analysis when they decide to push the standard to its vendors.

• In week 11, we learned about standards of IT used in a business’ supply chain. In particular, we learned about electronic data interface (EDI) and the positive impact it can have on your business. EDI is the structured transmission of data between organizations by electronic means. Implementing IT standards such as data formats, character sets, and data elements allows data to be exchanged throughout a network more efficiently and quickly. Although costly and timely to implement, an EDI system ultimately reduces costs and allows a company to go paper-less.

• Looking back on week 11, the Starbucks case study showed me the decisions and sacrifices they had to in order to be a “green” company and use the small farmers to grow their coffee beans. I never thought a company like Starbucks could have such a large impact on the environment through their deal with CI. We then discussed Supply Chain IT Standards and EDI (Electronic Data Interchange) and how they can help improve your business as a whole. Going paperless with EDI relates to the Starbucks case and last week’s lecture about going “green” and how it can reduce your costs while allows helping the environment.

• In week 11, we read and discussed the Starbucks case and how the company evolved their SC to incorporate a CSR project with CI. Starbucks consistently relied on small farmers to grow the coffee beans in both the Shade-Tree and Fair Trade models. We also talked about EDI. Electronic Data Interchange allows companies to share information with one another, creating a seamless communication stream between each other. This decreases the risk of human error causing difficulty for the companies.

• In week 11, we discussed the Starbucks case and its attempt to implement a green and ethical supply chain. While this seems like it may be a no-brainer, this task can actually prove to be very difficult. Relying on smaller suppliers and shade-tree/ fair trade models can be extremely risky and costly. However, after discussing it in class, I believe that this was a smart move for Starbucks. Starbucks, as a business, is less about the coffee and more about an idea. It’s the ambiance of their shops, they signature coffee cups, and the reliability of their (comparably slightly overpriced) product. Going “green” with their supply chain aligns with their perceived values and allows customers to feel more tied to their coffee experience as a whole.

• In week 11 we discussed EDI and its importance to supply chains. EDI is something that I did not previously comprehend, and I always assumed purchase orders were done via email or the phone. But with EDI, businesses are able to place orders using their own VINs and the company on the other end has those numbers translated to their personal VINs automatically. We also discussed Starbucks and the way they have had to make sourcing decisions as they have grown. It was shocking how aggressive the fair trade representatives were. Their way of approaching Starbucks was far different than that of the Shade Tree Initiative. I think it makes sense how Starbucks only has a few Fair Trade certified coffees now, after being bombarded so heavily.

• This week, we learned about the Supply Chain IT standards. In other words, we got the ideas about what are the official language for communication and collaboration between different parts of components. Protocols, are computer communication standards; EDI is like a technical representation of a ‘business conversation’ between two entities, the entities being two computer systems, etc. Also, XML allows users can define the tags making the data easier to read, which are all interesting.

• In week 11 we discussed EDI, Supply Chain IT standards, XML. The EDI system is fascinating and shows how complex internal operations of a company can really be. Consumers are usually unaware of the process of how they get goods. EDI makes the exchange of information much faster between companies speeding up the entire process. The Starbucks group also did a great presentation