MIS 5201.001 – Mike Romeu

Week 03 – Discussion Question 2

Technology changes at mind-boggling speeds, and it greatly affects businesses and enterprises. What do you consider to be more important, depth of knowledge in technology, or its impact on the enterprise?

63 Responses to Week 03 – Discussion Question 2

• Profile photo of Yu Ming Keung

In my opinion, there is no conflict between depth of knowledge in technology, or its impact on the enterprise. They are both important at the same level because they support each other. With that said, depth of knowledge in technology can cause either good/bad impact on the enterprise. And impact on the enterprise can motivate people to obtain knowledge in technology in order to innovate.

In 2000s, Mobile technologies are transformed by smartphones and tablets; bring your own device(BYOD), and mobile apps become a big trend to most of enterprises. In 2010s, cloud computing, big data are invented; people started to have the awareness of intellectual property, privacy. Therefore, there is a need/market of IT engineer or computing engineer who can use their depth of knowledge in technology to develop those data-related technical innovations for the enterprises. At the same time, those engineers need the funding/ financial support from those enterprises. This is why I am stating that they both support each other and they are both important.

• Profile photo of Magaly Perez

Yu Ming, I agree with your statement, “There is no conflict between depth of knowledge in technology, or its impact on the enterprise.” I believe they are both equally important and for that reason, they should be aligned. By embracing both the IT innovation with its affects on the enterprise, allow businesses the ability to transform along side technology . Today, IT is a vital component to a company’s operations and leveraging information technology for business success is a key to survival in the modern business world. With that being said, with technology evolving, companies should do the same. Without technology the idea of globalization wouldn’t have become a reality. Technology allowed businesses to grow and expand in ways never thought possible. Overall, I agree that they are equally important, as they both rely upon each other in the spectrum of innovation.

• Profile photo of Priya Prasad Pataskar

I agree with you Yu Ming. Depth and impact are both are supportive of each other. The speed with which new technology emerges is so fast that while gaining depth of one technology world moves to another. I do not know what is the best solution but I believe experience teaches it all. Hence before making a new technology active in the business, it must be tried and tested. Thus we have things like prototyping and agile methodologies. One, it gives hands of experience and organizations gets familiar with the technology and two organization understands the impact and business need for the change to new technology. If from this pilot they can make a decision if they need to go in depth.

• Profile photo of Celine Qu

Yu Ming, I like your statement that there’s no conflict between the depth of knowledge in technology and its impact on the enterprise. Enterprises rely on technology to constantly make improvements so they could align with business goals. However, without the depth of knowledge in technology, an organization would not be able to catch with the latest technology thus would not be able to utilize the resources.

• Before answering this question, I felt it necessary to gain a better understanding of the meaning of “depth of knowledge” in technology. While researching this topic, I encountered the results of a recent study performed by students at Huazhong University of Science and Technology in China (http://iamot2016.org/proceedings/papers/IAMOT_2016_paper_3.pdf). Based on earlier studies, the students defined knowledge depth as the extent to which an enterprise is familiar with a particular technological or application domain. Amongst other things, this study concluded that it is beneficial for an enterprise to increase depth of knowledge in its initial stages. However, there is an optimal level of enterprise knowledge depth, and once it exceeds this threshold, further increases in knowledge depth will reduce innovation performance.

This information supports my initial conclusion that the depth of knowledge in technology and its impact on the enterprise are equally important, though there may be times when one concept is more significant than the other. As the aforementioned study concluded, at the inception of an enterprise, line of business, product, etc., more focus should be placed on gaining in depth knowledge of what is necessary for the venture to succeed. This is one reason companies spend so much money on research and development. As information and technology is imperative to an organizations growth and durability, successful enterprises emphasize systems development up front to gain a competitive foothold.

In today’s aggressive environment, once an enterprise has stabilized, focus can begin to be placed on improved processes and technologies that will allow them to sustain while seeking growth opportunities. It is noteworthy that organizations which previously sought to excel in too many core ventures may have limited their ability to be successful in any one due to limitations on the availability of capital required to build necessary infrastructure.

• Profile photo of Abhay V Kshirsagar

Hi Candace,

I was wondering what did you mean when you said the if one increases in knowledge depth about some technology and exceeds the threshold (which is the optimal level), their a reduction in innovation performance?

Thank you!

• Profile photo of Blake D. Koen

Technology has advanced a lot over the years, and it is continuing to advanced. From the room sized computers of the 50’s to the cloud based options of today. IT professionals have to be up to date as technology changes. Newer technologies can help the business increase productivity, efficiency and ultimately the profits of the business. In addition, with new technology, there are increased threats and vulnerabilities. Developers and IT engineers have to be knowledgeable with new technologies and new threats. It will help the business in the long run if they are.

With all of the new technologies out there, you also have to be know how implementing a new system or app will impact the business. When thinking about the impact IT projects can have, I am reminded of a business friend of my parents. This company decided that the busiest time of the year was a good time to upgrade their computer systems. When the new system failed, they couldn’t ship products and lost all of their Christmas season sales. Not long after this, their cash flow dried up and the business went bankrupt. If someone had thought about the impact the project could have if it didn’t work, perhaps they would have picked a different time to implement the new system, or tested it more thoroughly and the company would still be around. Whenever a new technology is being considered, you must consider the impact, both positive and negative, that this project could have.

Knowledge and impact are both important to be aware of. However, given the risks technology can pose, I would rate the impact slightly higher than breath of knowledge.

• Profile photo of Sean Patrick Walsh

Blake, I agree with your underlying premise of which aspect of technology is more important. I’m not sure any person will ever achieve a full depth of knowledge regarding a technology based purely on the dynamic environment that technology is. The moment a person may think they have a full and complete understanding of a specific technology a new aspect may be discovered regarding the technology or its application, reach, deployment, etc which will make keeping pace with that depth of knowledge nearly impossible. Although the depth of knowledge regarding a technology is important for a business to consider, understanding the impact of that technology on the enterprise is paramount to the business when considering technology. Without a clear understanding of the risks, benefits, applications, costs, etc. of the technology’s impact on the business can quickly lead to a completely unforeseen bankruptcy like your example showcased. Because tech is always changing a business would be prudent to have personnel always exploring those changes and advancements looking for potential opportunities, but that business would be remiss to neglect considering the impact of that technology. Although, I’m sure an argument could be made that in order to understand the impact one would have to have depth of knowledge, and in order to have a depth of knowledge about a specific tech it would lead to understanding the impact(s).

• It is interesting to see the different perspectives each of us had on this question. At a former employer, certain functions were permitted to conduct research on potential technological advances. In some instances, the meager budgets allotted for these studies were funded by external organizations that stood to benefit from the improved technologies. The innovation did not detract from core operations. In that manner, depth of knowledge was being achieved without negatively impacting the enterprise. Best of both worlds!

• Profile photo of Fred Zajac

Candace,

It is interesting you bring up 3 party organizations conducting studies to determine if technological advancements would benefit the organization.

We have been in a few situation when we needed to coordinate with software providers, on behalf of our client. We were never involved in the deployment, but heard Sage, SAP, and other software companies evaluating the advantages and disadvantages of changing systems. And, the only true way to do that is to evaluate the current system, which would require “studies”.

• Profile photo of Magaly Perez

Sean, I get where you are coming from. I don’t think its a one sided thing and must be contingent on each other. Businesses are finally recognizing how to balance the ROI gains of using technology. For example, enterprise messaging services have already begun displacing the need for email communication within the enterprise, and this trend is only going to continue. Real-time communication tools are naturally more collaborative than email, as they allow for back-and-forth communications that previously were only possible via voice communication. With efficient content sharing features being added to these real-time collaboration tools, they will effectively overtake email for convenience for internal communication. The disruption that will occur in the enterprise will essentially cause a restructuring of how work is done. Employees will be able to collaborate in ways that maximize their time, cut down on back-and-forth emails and allow for more time to be spent where it is most needed, on the work, not the communication. Although, we know technology isn’t always secure due to its constant evolution. This rapid changing technology landscape makes it more important than ever for companies and their employees to be aware of what risks, benefits, and impacts that technology can have on their enterprise environment.

I found this stat, “Two major trends in 2015 were the increasing adoption of cloud technology and the increasing frequency of costly data breaches. As a result, it’s safe to say that most companies consider improving security and efficiency to be their biggest concerns for 2016.”

• Profile photo of Said Ouedraogo

Magaly,

I may be confusing myself, but how an organization will know the impact of a technology if it does not understand it? In order to know what impact a technology could have on your enterprise environment you first need to understand it. By understanding I mean everything, from the implementation to maintenance. It is only after hat you can consider the impacts (revenue and productivity).

• Profile photo of Magaly Perez

Said, I do get where you are coming from. My suggestion was more along the sides of collaboration and growth. I don’t really think its one-sided choice whatsoever. I personally just think that organizations must understand technology and the enterprise impacts/risk that it faces at that time by thinking more along the lines of the future. Organizations, who began to use technology and saw progress then learned the ever-growing threats that face it. However, if they were able to think in a non-chronological order of understanding, implementing and finding out the risk/impact they wouldn’t have faced all those data breaches. I guess, my approach is more along the sides of innovation and not dealing with the risk after the implementation.

• Profile photo of Abhay V Kshirsagar

Well put, Said. I think that is what I said in my post as well. It is important to understand a technology in depth first and that is how you will understand it’s impact (value, risk, etc) on the enterprise. I think they both sort of go hand in hand.

• Profile photo of Blake D. Koen

Sean,

I agree that you could make the argument the other way. I was thinking that when they are considering a new system or app, they would have the knowledge of the product being considered. I believe that if you don’t have a good handle on the impact, you may not have a business to worry about for much longer. That is why I have rated the impact as more important.

• Profile photo of Lezlie Jiles

Blake,

I agree with you here. A business should have full knowledge of the product being considered, and the impact that it may have on the business. It is also important that the business set resources aside to remain knowledgeable about the changes and upgrades concerning that technology.

• Profile photo of Joshua Tarlow

Definitely agree that the impact consideration should be extended beyond the business to future considerations as the technology evolves. As innovation evolves, the technology in question may also in addition to other technologies also evolving. Nothing is static, and cannot be considered in a frozen state.

• Profile photo of Khawlah Abdulaziz Alswailem

Nowadays, technology becomes an essential part of each enterprise, and it’s playing such a major factor in the success or failure of businesses as it can bring more advantages and opportunities or create more challenges and vulnerabilities. Consequently, it is critical that companies adapt to the technological changes and being aware of its impact on the business.

For my perspective, being aware of the technology impact must be considered as a fundamental level of the depth of knowledge in technology. Having a vast knowledge in technology without a clear understanding of our goal from using this technology, the potential impact on our business, how this technology can facilitate our tasks and activities and what kind of technology is more appropriate to fulfill our requirements will make this knowledge meaningless. For this reason, many companies are trying to create a mid-point that encourage the IT specialist to be more aware of the business objectives and involve them in the requirements identification and decision-making processes. However, almost all of technical/non-technical projects are team efforts, so this can aid the organization to efficiently achieve its goals by having a variety of members with different experiences and backgrounds.

• Profile photo of Annamarie Filippone

You bring up some great points in your post. First, I agree that, without understanding the impact that technology will have on the business, the knowledge itself is useless (and potentially very harmful). An organization simply cannot have one without the other if it wants to be successful. And it is important, as you mentioned, that organizations bring a variety of individuals with different skills and backgrounds onto a team, as this will more easily expand the breadth of technology knowledge. Where I work, every employee is required to input their skills into a database. This way, if there is an audit that involves a specific technology or process that no one on the team is familiar with, we can search for other employees that may have that knowledge and connect with them.

Good point Annamarie. I have mentioned in my post that transition to new technology must be smooth, and thus the impact will be managed. Any new technology will have similarities with what employees are familiar with. Organization can make a choice of smooth transition. It is also necessary to help by giving time and exposure to the new technology to increase depth of knowledge.

Thank you for the reply, Annamarie.

Collecting employee’s data and especially knowing their strength and weakness will help the organization to use its resources efficiently and achieve its goals effectively. Indeed, this can assist in working with large projects that require different expertise from various fields.

• Profile photo of Lezlie Jiles

Khawlah,

You made an excellent point about how technology is an essential part of a business’s successes or failures. Technology is the hub of today’s business environment, and it is important for a company to have a greater understanding of how it can affect its operation. There aren’t many businesses today that don’t rely on some type of computing to run some or all of their processes. There was a report a few weeks ago that talked about hackers shutting down the electronic key system at Romantik Seehotel Jaegerwirt hotel in Austria. The incident left hundreds of guests locked out of their rooms. The hacker required the hotel to pay a ransom in order for the rooms to be released. In this incident, I believe the hotel should have had a more in-depth knowledge of how technology impacted their essential business processes. The company could have avoided this attack by incorporating a variety of IT specialist during the keyless lock implementation.This is why I believe that depth of knowledge in technology, and its impact on the enterprise are equally important.

• Profile photo of Wenlin Zhou

Technology provides a wide range of tools entrepreneurs can use to guide their new companies through the startup and growth stages. Small-business accounting, marketing and communication have been revolutionized by advances in computer, network and communications technology, and businesses in a range of industries continually adapt to take full advantage of technological developments.For example, Setting up and managing a new accounting system can be a daunting task on your own. Modern accounting software packages simplify the process of setting up accounts and posting daily transactions. Managing accounts with a small-business accounting package such as Microsoft Money or QuickBooks can eliminate the need to hire full-time or third-party accountants. Accounting software also assists managers by creating informative reports and financial statements to increase decision-making effectiveness. Therefore, the knowledge of technology can improve the enterprise effectively and effectiveness.

• You mentioned to very good points Wenlin. I agree with you that new technologies provide the opportunity for people to be more independent, and help them to do some of their task without asking help from full-time or third-party accountants. To reach to that point, first people need to improve the level of their knowledge about new technologies, second after they understand the concept of new technologies they can apply to their businesses with little help.

• Profile photo of Somayeh Keshtkar

You mentioned to very good points Wenlin. I agree with you that new technologies provide the opportunity for people to be more independent, and help them to do some of their task without asking help from full-time or third-party accountants. To reach to that point, first people need to improve the level of their knowledge about new technologies, second after they understand the concept of new technologies they can apply to their businesses with little help.

• Profile photo of Said Ouedraogo

I would say that technology impacts on the enterprise depends on depth of knowledge in technology. In fact, I don’t see how a technology would have a positive impact on an organization if the organization does not master the technology. As we all know, technology is a double-edge sword. The wrong use of it can be costly to any organization. I wouldn’t recommend that an organization use a technology it does not understand. The thing is sometimes, organizations put first the possible impact of a technology on their revenue without fully understanding the technology. I think the best course of action will be first to understand the technology (advantages and downsides) and then conduct a cost-benefit analysis.

• Said, I agree with you. Applying and using every new technology need a deep understanding of it, and without sufficient knowledge it cannot turn to benefit for organization. I believe using new technologies and applications can increase the performance of employees or be more beneficials to the organization. But as you mentioned in your statement, if people do not understand these technologies in their job, they cannot use them in a right way. So in that way it cannot be useful, and it will have a negative impact on the companies.

• Profile photo of Somayeh Keshtkar

Said, I agree with you. Applying and using every new technology need a deep understanding of it, and without sufficient knowledge it cannot turn to benefit for organization. I believe using new technologies and applications can increase the performance of employees or be more beneficials to the organization. But as you mentioned in your statement, if people do not understand these technologies in their job, they cannot use them in a right way. So in that way it cannot be useful, and it will have a negative impact on the companies.

• Profile photo of Joshua Tarlow

Definitely agree that while new technology can provide many benefits, it can also cause many issues if proper consideration is not given to the impact. Even the technology is understood by every employee, it may still impact other technologies, some impacts known and others not. Consideration towards impact needs to be considerable.

• Profile photo of Paul Linkchorst

Hey Said,

I took the question’s “impact” on an organization moreso to be like how the organization can utilize the technology and improve itself with not so much the “impact” being how much it costs financially. For example, utilizing an email application can “impact” the organization by offering a quicker and more reliable form of communication but also “impact” the organization by opening up security vulnerabilities like phishing. I agree that the best course of action will be first to understand the pros and cons to implementing a new technology in an organization and then perform a cost benefit analysis.

• Profile photo of Fred Zajac

Said,

The cost-benefit is a requirement, and agree that many times companies may not fully understand the true value, positive or negative. The one thing I want to mention is employee buy-in to the new system.

You are correct to not recommend technology they don’t understand, but it is very difficult to roll out something people will fully understand. The most important thing when changing technology is to have employee buy-in. You are always going to have people who won’t understand the technology or why the company even switched. They want it to stay the way it was.

• Profile photo of Paul Linkchorst

I think the answer to this question should be determined on how you want your role to be within an organization. I say this because having a depth of knowledge in technology and understanding the impact on an organization are both desirable skills to have. However, certain positions favor one or the other. If I am considering a career in say research and development, I will benefit by understanding the intricacies of a certain type of technology in hopes to improve or create a new product or service to sell. On the flip side, if I am in a risk management or a compliance position, I would be more interested in how technology impacts an organization. With all that being said, it is tough to decide which set of skills should an IT auditor focus on. On one hand, if you can’t understand how technology impacts an organization, then you will not be able to identify if a policy/control/technology successfully mitigates a risk to the organization. On the other hand, if you don’t understand the technology being utilized by an organization and how it works to the detailed level, then you might miss some of the underlying nuances of this technology during an audit that could affect the organization. Since I must choose, I would choose how technology impacts an organization. When all is said and done, it is the business you are protecting and therefore it is important for you to understand how technology affects an organization.

• Profile photo of Mustafa Aydin

In my opinion, the depth of knowledge in technology and its impact on the enterprise are both important issues for companies. Nowadays, information technologies are the most critical part of the enterprise’s operations. On the other hand, for continuing business success, risk assessments of these technologies are necessary for each company. Without the knowledge in technology, we cannot assess properly its impact on the enterprise which uses it. Therefore these concepts need each other and they should be aligned.

However, if we answer this question as an IT auditor, there will be a minor difference between them. Because there is a difference between being IT engineer and IT auditor. As we know that, IT auditors should have adequate skills and proficiency in conducting information technology audit and assurance engagement. But it does not mean that they should be an expert in all technologies. According to me, for IT auditors, it is enough to have adequate knowledge (an optimal level of depth of knowledge) such as understanding of the benefits, risks etc. As a result, it is expected that they should be able to identify and assess risks relevant to the area under review. Besides, if they need, they can maintain professional competence through appropriate technological education and training. On the other hand IT engineers have to be up to date with new technologies and have depth knowledge of technologies which are used in their enterprises. From IT auditors perspective, understanding the impacts of technologies on the enterprise is a bit important than having depth knowledge in technology.

• In my opinion, both of them are required as they complete each other. People need to gain a good knowledge about the new technologies so that they can apply it into the processes. Without any understanding of technologies available people cannot implement them into their businesses. People need to learn about every aspect of new technologies available for their fields, and should be up-to-date with new technologies. According to Perspectives From a Seasoned Practitioner article, “we are required to learn how to learn and then how to unlearn and relearn.” With the quick look at figure 1 in this article we can see the technical innovation in each decades. I think cloud services can be a good example for this discussion. Cloud services such as Amazon Web Services, Google, Rackspace, and many others are built on virtualization techniques, and that can enable people to save big data on remote servers, instead of physical servers that are more costly in terms of maintenance. Cloud storages provide the opportunity for companies to store their data in more efficiently. So, People who want to switch to cloud services must understand the concept first in order to understand the value they can bring into their business. After gaining that knowledge then they can implement such services into their business.

• Profile photo of Somayeh Keshtkar

In my opinion, both of them are required as they complete each other. People need to gain a good knowledge about the new technologies so that they can apply it into the processes. Without any understanding of technologies available people cannot implement them into their businesses. People need to learn about every aspect of new technologies available for their fields, and should be up-to-date with new technologies. According to Perspectives From a Seasoned Practitioner article, “we are required to learn how to learn and then how to unlearn and relearn.” With the quick look at figure 1 in this article we can see the technical innovation in each decades. I think cloud services can be a good example for this discussion. Cloud services such as Amazon Web Services, Google, Rackspace, and many others are built on virtualization techniques, and that can enable people to save big data on remote servers, instead of physical servers that are more costly in terms of maintenance. Cloud storages provide the opportunity for companies to store their data in more efficiently. So, People who want to switch to cloud services must understand the concept first in order to understand the value they can bring into their business. After gaining that knowledge then they can implement such services into their business.

• Profile photo of Shahla Raei

My answer to this question is “how technology impacts an organization”.

In the current dynamic and turbulent business environment, Information Technology is considered a very competitive advantage. One of the main requirements for obtaining benefits from investing in IT, is strategic alliances with business and technology. Alignment implies that there are two separate entities trying to work together but still remaining separate.
    Business objectives and IT requirements seem to contradict, but many experts agree that alignment between them is crucial to the success of an enterprise.
    While firms are investing in information technology, the evidence of whether or not those investments are made improvement on firm performance is mixed. It is important to consider the effectiveness and efficiency of the deployed information systems in an organization. This is challenging, because different firms adopt and use information technology differently. I believe there should be an acceptable level of IT knowledge, not necessary a deep knowledge. It depends on the nature of business and how much firms rely on computer data to conduct business operations and making business decisions to improve their performances.
    Also from an Audit perspective and based on Ed Gelbstein’s article, Auditors that have deep and detailed knowledge about technology can waste an excessive amount of the auditees’ time on irrelevant and negligible subjects.

• Profile photo of Binu Anna Eapen

I agree with you that deep and detailed knowledge about a particular technology can waste excessive time on irrelevant and negligible subjects. But knowing it won’t hurt either. It depends on how he uses the knowledge that he/she has for the audit. Also the perspective of which is important: depth of knowledge or impact on the business depends on the position you are in a firm. Both are equally important from different viewpoints.

• Profile photo of Paul Linkchorst

Shahla,

I am curious as to what Ed Gelbstein’s definition of deep and detailed knowledge about a technology is. To some auditors, a deep technical knowledge might be understanding how digital certificates work or encryption. To others, this might be standard information security practices that they learned early in their career. Therefore, the technical knowledge also depends on what type of audits are being performed. Some larger organizations separate their audit departments into various categories, with even the category of IT Audit being broken down into various subcategories like Security auditor, Operations Auditor, Infrastructure auditor, etc. Therefore, depending on the knowledge and skillsets the audits require, technical knowledge can or cannot be too much for their own good. I think regardless, the more an auditor retains and can apply, the better off they will be. What is important, however, is that auditors need to know where to spend their time effectively to gain comfort/reasonable assurance in a process without requiring an excessive amount of resources.

• Profile photo of Joshua Tarlow

Definitely an interesting question about the definition of deep/detailed knowledge. While many may agree on a broad definition, many will have a different idea of what it actually includes. Some subjects may require very specific specializing, thereby narrowing an employees purview and limiting knowledge to a specific area. While others might allow for slightly broader focuses and less detailed knowledge of a singular area.

Technology is bringing business monetization. It has made the 24*7*365 availability possible. Definitely organization must adapt to the changing technology. To keep up with the changing needs of the clients and meet their demands, adaptation to change is almost unavoidable.
    What is more important is how to bring that change. Risk management will help realize the impact on business. It covers every aspect of business and is an essential in neat governance of that organization. Impact of introduction of new technology is essential part of managing risk.
    Rushing into a new technology and risking delivery and customer satisfaction is unintellegent. Companies cannot be productive unless they know a technology in and out. But that does not mean they should stay with legacy systems. That as well will run them out of business. As I mentioned transition to new technology must be well planned and managed. Impact and depth of new technology are both unavoidable. Although technology changes applications of technology are more or less for the same task. Application is irreplaceable. If a company was smart enough to hire employees whose application skills are better than their on paper skills, that would certainly help the organization in this transition.

• Profile photo of Deepali Kochhar

I agree to your point Priya. Organisation must not rush into a new technology and risking business. A similar case happened with one of the startup enterprise with which I use to work. It was a small startup with the strength of 80 employees and wanted to grow on strength. Keeping in mind the expected growth they implemented SAP which costed a huge amount. The setup failed as they didn’t had that much business to recover the cost of the software implementation. Implementation of technology like SAP is not required for such a small organisation.

• Profile photo of Binu Anna Eapen

Technology has been ever growing and most often it is a decision that the management has to make whether to incorporate it into the system or not.
    I guess the answer to this question depends who you are in an organization. For example, if I am an application developer, I will be concerned with learning new technologies so as to be in market and stay up to date so as to sell my application, making sure it is compatible with devices in market.
    I as an auditor would consider the impact on the enterprise as more important than the depth of knowledge because most often a technology is in place and by the time people are really skilled at it there are newer technologies that evolve. So definitely it is impractical to keep tab of all technologies. However understanding the nature of the new technology and identifying the risks involved and trying to mitigate this risk can help the organization to meet its business goals.
    It is not necessary for all organizations have to upgrade to the latest technology. Only if the business goals and objectives require it then newer technology needs to be deployed. Newer technologies can be more secure, faster, more sophisticated in nature and simplify human efforts but it also opens door to newer risks.

• Profile photo of Lezlie Jiles

These issues go hand in hand, and I believe they are both equally important. I think it is important for businesses to maintain a depth of knowledge in technology to reduce the impact. Technology changes with the blink of an eye, and it is almost impossible to keep up with every aspect of it. However, it is vital for enterprises to stay as closely abreast to its innovation as possible. The changes in technology are driven by the demands for improvement. Take for instance the automobile industry. Our only form of transportation was walking and animals, and as the demand for better quality transportation grew the wheel was created, which led to the creation of automobiles. During this process, technology was gaining momentum. However, the auto industry stayed abreast of its impacting changes, and as the demand for better/faster cars grew it drove the demand for greater technology and a deeper understanding of it. Therefore, I consider both topics important because they impact each other equally.

• Profile photo of Yu Ming Keung

Hey Lezile, I agree with you that both issues go hand in hand. In today’s environment, business can’t ignore the impact of technology because information technology is a vital components to a company’s operations and growth. For example, many companies have already embracing the IT innovation like launching their phone applications, resulting in significant growth because they can easily improve the customer relationship through the innovation of smart phones. Overall, I agree that they are both equally important and they are supportive of each other.

• Profile photo of Joshua Tarlow

Definitely agree about both complimenting one another. The innovation example relating to iPhone applications is apt. Mobile applications are relatively new and already impacting many enterprises. So both a technical knowledge and impact understanding is essential to realizing the benefits.

• Profile photo of Mengting Li

The world of information technology has become such an important aspect of our lives. The primary benefit of technology is efficiency. Businesses–from small businesses to large conglomerates–are capable of providing products and services at a faster, more efficient rate which can result in higher profits. Especially in nowadays world, there are many competitors in the industry, the depth of knowledge in technology can help the enterprise become more competitive when they compete with other competitors. Technology makes it possible to telecommute, work from virtual offices and communicate with businesses and individuals across the globe. Flexible work schedules are welcome because so many duties and responsibilities can be done from the employee’s home or when the employee travels. However, in the first, the enterprise needs technique people to teach other people in the company also know how to use the new technologies. In addition, in order to implement these technology changes, all the technology needs technique people to maintenance the systems and applications. So I agree with most people’s point of view, both of depth knowledge in technology and impact on the enterprise are important.

• Profile photo of Celine Qu

Technology has brought advancements in various aspects of the society over the years; it also brought up important effects on business operations. In my opinion both the depth of knowledge in technology and its impact on the enterprise weighted equally important. Technology provides enterprises the strength to spread their wings. It gives organizations an opportunity to analyze specific data relate to the business so the companies can plan and grow. It also provides an opportunity to the enterprises to take advantage of many tools to solve potential problems. However, without leveraging the benefits of IT, it is impossible to attain long term business success in this digital age. If an organization does not know how to utilize and apply the fast growing technology in their business, then it wouldn’t bring any positive impact to the organization at all. It is essential for any companies to understand the technologies and aligning IT with business objectives.

• Profile photo of Vu Do

Technology is taking over everything in an organization now a day and will continue to be incorporated more into businesses everyday use. Employees are using it to gain access to buildings, remote access to the system from anywhere in the world and restaurants are using it to take our payments right there are the table. With that, I believe both are equally important, we must understand the depth of knowledge in technology and its impact on the enterprise. Both plays a role with one another. To understand the impact of new rising technology impact on an enterprise, employees must learn about the technology and understand how it operates and decide if it will improve the day to day business activities. The Depth of knowledge in technology assess whether the technology will have been positive for the company or have a negative effect. For example, if an enterprise incorporates a new technology that does not improve the business then it would be a bad impact and the company would have wasted money.

• Profile photo of Deepali Kochhar

Technology helps an organization to stay competitive in the market. It is very important for organizations to go with the flow.

Lets take an example of quick service restaurant industry. Technologies like digital display, Point of sale, Tablet Restaurant management, Mobile Technology, Online email, social media are making operators to compete and differentiate.

These technologies are helping operators to provide exceptional services to the customers and , meeting customers experience that exceeds their expectations.

It is very important to understand the impact of technology on the enterprise before its implementation. Technology is a big investment and should be made after understanding the need and calculating factors such as ROI. For example it is not necessary for a small scale organizations with employee strength 100 to implement SAP to manage its finance data as it requires huge cost to implement such a big system.

• Profile photo of Anthony Lucas

In order to adjust and apply the rapidly changing dynamic and applications of technology there has to be a base knowledge in order to understand the implications and impact changing tech may in a particular industry. While technologies impact on an enterprise in ultimately the final result of its development and application, I believe that knowledge is slightly more important than the impact. In the article “Perspectives from a Seasoned Practitioner” one statement stands out about our current technological state as a whole; “Dependency on IS/IT has become irreversible”. To this effect, the persons with the knowledge to create, apply and manipulate technology can dictate the impact on the enterprise and by business evolution and competition, the industry as a whole. The introduction of mobile devices was slow paced at first, until a designer with knowledge integrated applications and computing, which changed the use of the phone call only cell phone to the connected devices we have today. Now we can’t go anywhere without a device or a connection to the web or cloud; our entire lives are based on Wi-Fi, and that change in this one area has changed the industry forever and made the threat data theft an everyday occurrence. If the organizational impact had been studied more closely and the knowledge and technology developed in parallel, there may have been a more equalized integration.

• Profile photo of Brandan Mackowsky

Given the rapid development and implementation of technologies into enterprises, it is important to understand exactly how the technology itself functions but also how it affects an organization. By focusing on whether understanding the technology or understanding its effect on the enterprise is more important than the other, it brings in the question of which kind of organization is present. If an organization has no understanding of technology as it is brought into its specific business, I feel that it is much more essential to gain a depth of knowledge of the technology that the business faces before it is able to evaluate the impact on the enterprise. However, if a business has a moderate understanding of the technology that it will face, I believe that it is much more important to gain an understanding on how the technology being implemented impacts the specific business. Through this, a business is able to deem which new designs and technologies work well in their specific environment as well as which ones are not as suitable. By understanding the true effect of specific technologies on the business, a company can ensure that it eliminates toxic designs as well as remains under budget on its spending habits to avoid correctly costly technological errors.

• Profile photo of Yulun Song

I think its is impact on the enterprise is more important within business world. Technology grows fast these a couple years and it helps easier our daily life, smart phones, computers, smart TV, GPS, etc. however, technology has more impacts on the development of enterprise. Businesses not only uses technology as a tool to faster its operation speed, but more focus on making business profits and benefits. For example, a company outsourcing its IT department by a local professional IT company, its goal of the company is to save money and make the net profit higher. Or we can say, a company prefer buying a software that it need to use, rather than developing it in house, because it is more expensive than buying, and its goal also is to save money and higher its profits. So as a conclusion, even technology changes at mind-boggling speeds, and greatly positively affect business and enterprises, it is still a subsidiary to support the growth and development of enterprises and companies.

• From my point of view, there are various factors that determine whether depth of knowledge in technology or its impact on the enterprise is more important than the other. The industry of the enterprise, the strategy and tactic of enterprise at one point of the time and the structures of the enterprise all decided the weights of effects coming from these two dimension.
    Generally speaking, for enterprise in high-tech industry, the depth of technology is more important. This is mainly becuase high-tech enterprise, typically including bio-medical or software development company, depends on its leading technology to survive and gain competitive advantages over its rivals. Its products and services are heavily driven by in-depth of knowledge in specific domains. Therefore, a large amount of funds are spent to attract acquire top talents and focuses on the investment in research and development. At the same time, R&D contributes results that is extremely confidential to the enterprise and cannot be performed by or outsourced to external parties. Therefore, depth of knowledge in technology is enterprise’s lifeblood. On the other hands, for non high-tech enterprise, the impact of technology is more important. This is because technology, rather than being core business, mostly serves as infrastructure and enables the operations of other business. While they may also essential to the business, it normally can be assess in quantitative way in terms of financial metrics say costs or profits. This implies technology can be more seen as an option compared to high-tech companies. Also depending on enterprise’s strategy or structure, its technology functions can be taken charge by in-house units or outsourced to external parties, which is different from the previous case. Therefore, considering the relationship between technology and enterprise’s core business, I will give a different answer to the level of importance of the two dimensions.

• Profile photo of Ian M. Johnson

I agree, the industry of the enterprise, the strategy and tactic of enterprise at one point of the time and the structures of the enterprise all decided the weights of effects coming from these two dimension. Also, the products and services of the enterprise, the expertise of the enterprise, its strengths and weaknesses, etc. For me, depth of knowledge is very important but it has to be knowledge that is applicable to the company.

• Profile photo of Mansi Paun

There is a well-known myth or rumour about NASA spending millions of dollars of taxpayer money to develop a pen that would be able to write in zero gravity. While NASA tried to develop the pen with ink that wouldn’t freeze or evaporate and yet function in space. The Russians simply had their cosmonauts used pencils. The first time I heard that story, I couldn’t stop thinking how simple and perfect and absolutely cost-effective that solution was. What was so striking about this story was that a solution doesn’t necessarily have to be a costly or complex one to be the best. To me, a simple solution to a problem can be sufficient in itself as long as it delivers on its promised results.

When it comes to technology too, I personally feel that the impact on the enterprise holds more value as compared to the depth of knowledge in technology. I’m not undermining the depth of knowledge here – just saying that if one had to make a choice between the two, the impact would weigh more than depth of knowledge. Having said, the ideal however would be that both go hand in hand- have more resources allocated to developing knowledge for technology that is known to have impact or invest resources to generate value for technology for which we already have a deeper understanding. Knowledge has it’s own place but in a fast-paced business world, impact on the enterprise is of paramount importance.

• Profile photo of Yang Li Kang

From a cyber security perspective, I believe that depth of knowledge in technology is more important. In the world of cyber security, knowledge in technology should always be kept up to date. We cannot be blindsided by a specific piece of technology that could potentially harm an organization. We have to be aware of what technology is out there, whether it can be used to harm an organization and prepare preventative controls against such threats.

• Profile photo of Jaspreet K. Badesha

I believe that both the depth of knowledge and its impact on the enterprise are very important as they kind of go hand in hand. You cannot really asses the impact of technology on an enterprise if you do not know about the background of that technology. For an organization though I do feel like the impact of that technology on the enterprise is quite important as it can effect revenue. However, lack of knowledge on that technology can also effect revenue so we are in that never ending circle of knowledge or impact. I do believe that you may not need to know that much in depth knowledge of a technology to know how it will impact the organization. The requirement of how much ‘in depth’ knowledge an organization needs in a certain technology can change based on the type of organization. In most cases a basic understanding or foundation of the technology and core functions should be enough and help with the impact analysis.

• Profile photo of Ian M. Johnson

Since technology changes at mind-boggling speeds it is important to keep up and have a great understanding to help your company gain a completive advantage. Your understanding of technology and technology evolution can result in positive and or negative affects on your business/enterprise. It is difficult to say which has greater priority. It is somewhat of a “chicken or the egg” question. I will say that understanding technology and having a depth of knowledge directly impacts the impact on the business. Overall, your goal as an employee is to impact your business positively. So I guess I will consider that more important. In others words, you could know a great deal on certain technology but if that technology does not pertain to your business, it does not really matter. You want to study and master the knowledge that can benefit your company to the max amount. So that is my final answer: impact to your business is more important. Depth of knowledge in technology is still very important!!!

• Profile photo of Abhay V Kshirsagar

I personally believe if one has a deep knowledge in technology that is when one can truly determine the impact of that technology on the enterprise and hence I think both are equally important skills. But for the sake of the argument of choosing one of them, I think depth of knowledge is more important. In this digital-first world, we are noticing development and implementation of new technologies at a great pace throughout enterprises. This has made it very important to understand the technology from its core: fundamentals/basics of it, core functionalities, value it is bringing and finally it’s impact. And due to the dynamic nature of technology where the creators are constantly coming out with newer versions of it, one will always be constantly learning as the technology progresses.

• Profile photo of Joshua Tarlow

I do not believe that the two are mutually exclusive, and to some extent it is not possible to have one without the other. Part of depth of knowledge, is it the potential impact. And it is not possible to understand the potential impact without knowledge of the technology. If I had to choose one it would be technology knowledge because the impact cannot be understood without the knowledge. While knowledge can still exist without consideration given to the impact. However, knowledge existing in this state will not have as much depth, but will still exist. As many others have noted, both are very important to provide the maximum benefit to the company.

• Profile photo of Fred Zajac

Both are equally important, but I would say the impact on the enterprise would be more important on a business level. For any business, a process must provide a positive impact on the enterprise. Otherwise, the process will be eliminated and replaced with a value driven solution. The technology implemented should have the same positive impact on the enterprise, otherwise the system shouldn’t be changed.

The other reason I believe business impact is more important because technology is NOT a core business process. Yes, technology supports core business processes, but it is not essential to business. Granted, the use of technology may cause you to go out of business because your competition is using better technology, but you can still conduct the OTC and PTP processes without technology. I don’t recommend doing this, but it could be done.

The final reason is knowing too much may hurt the organization. There is much value in becoming the pioneer in technology, but it may be more cost effective to see another company succeed and then implement, rather than be the first company, and experiencing all of the problems first.

In Beaver’s ERP class, he told us about the DOW ERP implementation and how much longer and more expensive than planned. I am not saying a high level of technical knowledge isn’t good, but it may be wise to focus more on the business impact. After all, if there isn’t a business, we are all out of jobs.

• Profile photo of Paul M. Dooley

This is an interesting question. When first thinking about the question at-hand, what’s more important, depth of knowledge in technology, or its impact on the enterprise, my initial reaction would always be to side with the impact on the business. The ultimate goal is always to align with the business vision and create competitive advantages via efficiency in the ability to go to market, or to produce widgets in a more cost-effective manner increasing the overall bottom line, etc., all of which is usually accomplished via some sort of implementation of a technology. That being said, I’m not sure you can truly understand the overall impact to the business without the depth of knowledge of the specific technology being examined. That is to say when considering to rollout a new technology in a business setting the ultimate decision to pull the trigger will be based on what kind of ROI can be seen by the implementation. A cost-benefit analysis will always be at the forefront and the costs associated with implementing, managing and maintaining a technology and weighed against how much more productive the enterprise will be. Since many times these services can be outsourced to the true experts and the need for the depth of knowledge of the technology itself doesn’t necessarily need to be understood internally, I would still have to side with the impact on the business as being the more important of the 2.

• Profile photo of Ming Hu

Firstly, I have to admit it that both are very important, if I have to pick one, that must be impact on the enterprise. No need to mention how fast technology changes currently and how significantly technology is transforming business. Although depth of knowledge in technology is vital for the organization to gain competitive edge in market, since we are not computer, it’s impossible for us to address all of these changes. So the most important step is to evaluate its impact on the enterprise, after assessing its impact level on the enterprise, then we could prioritize and address such changes in a strategical way.