My Adventure

Monthly Archives: December 2013

Data Analytics

After leaving Temple for a semester to work at Johnson and Johnson as Supply Chain Consolidations Co-op, I was very excited to start my Fall 2013 semester. Being an MIS minor, I decided to enroll in Temple’s Data Analytics course. Because I only took introduction to MIS course, I did not know what to expect from this class. Zhewei Zhang was our professor and he utilized the MIS community website to update our grades and course information. This was different because all of my other professors used Blackboard to do so. I am happy to say that I took this class and had Professor Zhang as my instructor because he was thorough with his lessons and really tried to help students figuring things out.

In this course, I was able to use Workbench to use SQL codes in order to store and extract data, update and remove tables, and most importantly became aware of this software. It was a very neat way to organize and analyze the data given. We also had lessons about pivot tables, which I was not too familiar with before, and now I will be able to use this tool during my next internship. I also learned about the classification methods such as, Decision Trees, Association, and Clustering. This was a great lesson because the three classification can be utilized to help business partners make decisions with their real life business scenarios. It is also very helpful because I can provide business partners with visuals to support the recommendations. I suggest all other students to take this course and really try to learn the material because it will help them in the long-run.

data