Major: BBA MIS
Graduation: January 2020
- Job function (e.g., overall role, assigned tasks)
- This Summer I had the privilege of working at the Marshalls Distribution Center as an IT Associate (Intern). I worked very closely with managers, supervisors, and the Network team both here in Philadelphia but also in Home Office (Corporate Headquarters) which is located outside of Boston. I had the privilege of personally meeting many high ranking professionals in their organization including Tim Miner (President of MarMaxx) and Jeff Bruell (President of Distribution). I was also provided the opportunity to have a Video Call with Ernie Herman (CEO of TJX) and Deborah Felix (Senior Vice President of Human Resources). My major project was to optimize their network file share by meeting with various departments in the building to design a layout that will eliminate old information. The overarching goal of this project was to do the ground work for a Sharepoint Integration. I inherited other Troubleshooting roles and projects to support the network.
- Examples of projects (e.g., list the projects you worked on and what you accomplished)
- Some projects that I worked on included the aforementioned File Share Optimization, SSID rotation (network wide project entailing the enhancement of security on all wireless devices that are peripherals to their Warehouse Management System which includes printers, handheld scanners, label printers, terminals, and wireless phones), and AIL Rollout (a project across the Distribution Center launched this Summer to assist in the tracking of warehouse employee’s indirect time buy providing supervisors with a platform to approve/reject requests for indirect time. To assist in this rollout I completed database work to provide security levels to employees to allow them multiple sessions to the WMS and the reconfiguration of Intermec CV-30s which are small wireless terminals). I successfully increased their File Share capacity by 49% and organized it into a much more efficient layout for Sharepoint Integration. I also discovered that personal drives belonging to terminated employees were not being deleted and occupy a large portion of the capacity of the network file share. It appears that the process of not deleting personal drives is something that occurs company wide including in other Distribution Centers and Corporate offices. The SSID rotation was completed successfully. AIL was launched successfully as well.
- What you learned and how it relates to your major (e.g., describe what you learned from this experience in the context of specific courses)
- During my internship I learned a ton about networks and their architecture. This relates specifically to the basics that I was taught MIS 2501/3406 (Enterprise Architecture). I saw a wide variety of applications of remote desktop connections to remote servers. I interacted with the Server Room at this Distribution Center as well which includes several routers, patch panels, network switches, WMS servers, sorter servers, and UPS. There are around 16 IDF’s throughout the Distribution Center’s 1,000,000+ square feet as well which contain UPS, network switches, and patch panels as well. I also learned about an extremely complex business model, attended developmental workshops, and developed interpersonal skills by concluding my internship with a series of presentations to management.
- Once approved, the description is automatically displayed in a post on your e-portfolio.