Community Platform
Interests
  • Blogging
  • Business analysis
  • Customer relationship management (CRM)
  • Data analytics
  • more...
This Year
No Points
Total
1155 Points
MIS Badge

Click here
to validate the recipient

Part Time Job Description – Assistant to the Dean

One of the most defining experiences of my undergraduate career has been working as Student Executive Assistant to Dean Moshe Porat of the Fox School of Business. I was offered this position during the first semester of my freshman year – a great honor, since only one student is hired every 3 years. When I was told my official job title – “Student Executive Assistant to the Dean” – I was intimidated, to say the least. However, I was also excited by the challenge, and thrilled to be recognized as someone with responsibility and ability.

My day to day schedule varies, and being the Dean’s student worker often lends itself to performing “other duties as assigned.”  Basically, I am responsible for monitoring the Dean’s email account, assisting with scheduling and correspondence, answering his private phone line, and maintaining his contact database through Microsoft Access.  Other daily duties include various administrative tasks like running errands, getting the mail, proofreading documents, and communicating with certain Fox faculty and staff.

I am also responsible for heading several projects. For example, I organize the distribution and recognition of faculty and staff within Fox who are receiving Service Anniversary Awards.  This process involves retrieving, collecting, and organizing data about Service Anniversaries in a master Excel spreadsheet, and exporting this information when Service Anniversaries occur.  In addition, I also play a large role in coordinating the Dean’s Office Suite at the Liacouras Center – “The Fox Box.” The Fox Box is used to host donors, prospective students, and alumni at Temple basketball games. My job is to monitor the master list of attendees, organize logistics such as parking, and man our will-call station. This specific aspect of my job has given me an excellent opportunity for gaining networking and professional skills.  Working for the Dean has also afforded me the opportunity to work at and attend critical Fox events, such as the yearly Musser Dinner and graduation ceremonies.

Working for the Dean has been a lot of hard work – it involves working over 20 hours a week during the school year and approximately 35 hours a week during the summer.  I have had to learn to manage my time, perfect my communication skills, and respond calmly and effectively to challenges and problems. However, these challenges have allowed me to gain confidence, professionalism, reliability, organization, credibility, and determination. Each day in the Dean’s Office is a new chance to learn a new lesson and gain a new skill, and a chance to prepare myself for my future career.

Skip to toolbar