MIS 2101.702 – Courtney Minich – Fall 2017

Weekly Question #5

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on November 30, 2017. Your response only needs to be about three or four sentences. These weekly questions should reinforce class discussions, readings and show some insight.  

Hint: If you sign into the site using your AccessNet ID and password you won’t have to fill in the name, email and captcha fields when you leave your comment.

This week, we talked about disruptive innovation & how the rise of technology has completely changed many business and consumer driven actions.  What do you think was the most interesting or important innovation in the last few years?  Why?  What has it done to the original business model? 

35 Responses to Weekly Question #5

• To me, the most interesting innovation in the last few years is virtual reality. It was a thing of sci-fi movies and books back in the day and now it is a reality. I remember when I was a child, I played nintendo…. the original nintendo – now my son is playing these virtual reality games! I think Virtual Reality has imporved the business model because you need a platform to play the games on. All of the gaming systems were quick to hope on the virtual reality bandwagon and that was smart of thim. Phones have also got in on the cash cow by allowing users to play with the head set and the phone. This is most interesting to me because if this is the technology we have today, what are they going to create tomorrow?

• There are two things in the business world that have made my job much easier, one is electronic signature. With the clinical trial contracts, there are 3 signatures required at a minimum. This meant it had to be fed ex out to the sponsor, it was returned the same way, then it had to be taken to legal for signature then walked to the principal investigator for her/his signature. Fast forward to today, 11/28/17, this same contract is uploaded into a Temple system for signature, then email to the PI for signature then emailed to the sponsor for signature. It is then stored electronically, no paper file is kept.

The other is scanning vs the old fax machine. Scanners are so inexpensive so everyone can have one at their desk. No more running the pages through the xerox machine, waiting for a confirmation.

• I would have to say that the most disruptive innovations in the past few years were in the way that we pay. Everything from Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, Android Pay, and even the chip readers. Working in the retail world we had to go through a massive overhaul of all of our EFT systems due to this new technology. The integration of mobile payments on “wearables” have also changed what we carry, not many people need wallets anymore. Also the introduction of things like Venmo are greatly decreasing the need for cash. All of these are steps towards a cashless society which will continue to change the way we shop and how retail establishments operate.

• You make a few valid points. In total agreeance with the fact that we are headed into a cashless society. Unfortunately I have had my identity compromised. That trend will continue to increase as technology is more more heavily relied upon. These systems are coded by people therefore making those able to bypass systems more valuable.

• In my opinion, I think the most interesting disruptive innovation in the past few years is the implementation of robots. I remember when I was a kid, robots were on cartoons and in movies, the closest thing to a real robot for me was building an automatic car to battle against other cars with. I never imagined that I would be around to experience robots simulating humans. The implementation of robots opens up so many possibilities and at the same time closes so many job openings for real humans. After we discussed the interview with the female robot, I went and looked it up and I was in complete shock, I thought robots would only be able to complete simple tasks, but with her capabilities… she can do a lot more than simple tasks.

• For me, the most disruptive innovation is the use of mobile internet. The internet was completely disruptive on its own, but now we can use it anywhere at any time for anything. We are not confined to the office or home. This is what makes so many other things possible too, like wearables and tracking health information. Workers can be more productive. We could utilize SF on our phones and make changes about contacts or investments from our phones using the internet. The way people consume is completely different; if something comes to mind I can just whip my phone out and buy it on amazon instead of forgetting about it and maybe remembering later at the store. People will just be buying more! That means more products and different markets. The mobile internet also created new markets for phones and batteries, because we need longer battery life. We want better display technologies. Mobile internet helps within the supply chain and deliveries. I get real time updates about where my packages are and how long it will take to get to my house. Mobile internet has reduced the need for other markets, like GPS consoles. I remember when TomTom came out and everyone had to buy a GPS to leave in their car. Now my phone does that for me. The applications and disruptions of mobile internet are endless. It takes almost everything we do and makes it mobile, which completely changes society as a whole.

• I believe that the development of apps is a massive innovation, specifically apps for ordering food or using reward programs. I work at Zoe’s Kitchen and since releasing an app, our entire business model has changed. A large majority of our orders come from the app and in turn that decreases the amount of people waiting in line and eating in house. This means we do not need to schedule as many Front of House employees. This app has made our company more effective and efficient in getting a customer their food quickly without sacrificing hospitality and quality.

• This week, we talked about disruptive innovation & how the rise of technology has completely changed many business and consumer driven actions. What do you think was the most interesting or important innovation in the last few years? Why? What has it done to the original business model?

The most important innovation in my fullest opinion is Tesla and its vehicles. Even though the first full production car was the Chevy model EV1 (yes I have seen one up close in person), the auto brand Tesla has revolutionized the idea of the auto world. I see Tesla as the iPhone of cars. I feel as though the hype and the innovation of sophistication of the brand make it like no other automobile before. Customers pre-ordering the Tesla model cars years in advance just to have that innovation to themselves. The original business model is changing because now customers are already wanting the next model before its even released. Unlike a ford explorer, where one could careless about its release date. Think about the crowds we here and see with Tesla. I don’t even see the overwhelming crowds of people gathering for the new Ferrari or a S class Mercedes. As I said before the innovation with the iPhone seems to be similar to the innovation of the Tesla vehicles.

• From a retail associate perspective I think Apple Pay, other mobile payment apps, and wearables such as the Apple Watch is one of the most disruptive innovations in recent years. With every week that passes at work I notice more and more people are choosing Apple Pay as their form of payment during checkout. This newly desired form of payment required my store to implement new technology and systems that were compatible with and accepted Apple Pay. Despite being a millennial that grew up with technology and can adapt quite easily compared to older generations, I’m still kind of amazed whenever a customer simply taps their smart watch to the pin pad to pay for their order. I think this innovation will completely change the way consumers shop and buy products and how they interact with businesses in the future.

• I feel like having online forums is the most valuable change since the Internet arrived. It allows people to do market research and get a better understanding of people especially in forums that aren’t very heavily moderated. Listening to people give their opinions and stories anonymously online give people some valuable insight, and forums usually cater towards one niche or group that you are focusing on. It’s never been easier to get inside of client’s heads and see what their problems are so that we can come up with ways to solve it and market it towards them.

• I am not sure if this counts but I would have to say social media. It really changed how people find out about products and what business are doing. With social media, consumers are able to stay in the know. Businesses are able to advertise to people they never thought of before. They are able to reach a much bigger audience. Consumers are able to give input to businesses on their social media pages. It made being able to communicate easier.

• The biggest innovating and disruptive technology to the standard business model is youtube. Online how to’s have changes how service based businesses can provide their services. The first thing that pops into my head is automotive repairs. Deciding to work on your own car can be a daunting task. One of the biggest reasons why, other than a house, or your education, it is arguably the most expensive thing you with ever buy. Their are certified mechanics on youtube who perform automotive repairs step by step. These videos are great for the DIYer but terrible for service departments. Service departments are either loosing the money by you self performing the maintenance, or they are fixing your mistakes by taking on a job to difficult to perform in your driveway. These videos and access to information are also causing everyone to be an “expert”.

This example is not specific to just car repairs. It can be related to anything technical that usually requires the expertise of a specialist. We all have that one friend who knows how to fix everything “you can fix this? where did you learn how?” -me ‘oh I’ve never fixed it before but theres GOTTA be a youtube video showing me how to do it…’

• I agree Youtube has become a staple in our generation for technology use. If you don’t know how to do something you can just “watch a Youtube’. From reviews and how-to’s it has definitely changed the way we use the internet.

• I think the most innovative and interesting development in technology is apps for mobile devices. For me specially using a banking app has changed my life drastically. If i’m out and need to switch money between accounts, I simply logon to my bank of america account and the process is done in a matter of seconds. Years ago I would have had to find a computer to do that, and who knows if the process would have been that quick. We can do almost anything utilizing apps, from banking, shopping, sending money (venmo) creating documents, ordering food, playing games, creating designs, and recording music.

• I think the most innovative and interesting development in the past years would have to be a two things. One would be a 3D printer. It’s amazing to me how much a printer can be of use especially since prosthetic organs can be 3D printed and implemented without any issue. It’s still a little bit expensive, but eventually if improvements keep happening, 3D printers will be pretty cheap and commercially viable for businesses in various fields such as construction to medical. Second would have to be a video streaming service/sites such as YouTube and Netflix. Reason being, w used to have to own a dvd/rcr player on disc and tapes that we would either purchase, rent or borrow. This by itself wastes a lot of time. Now that videos are online, all we need is internet and we are good to go.

• The biggest innovation in the past few years would be the mobile phone, and, most recently, the implementation of the touch screen. Mobile smartphones have completely changed so many industries, creating and destroying. Operators and telephone books are a thing of the past. Social media has thrived under the mobile market and a majority of apps are only available on touch screen mobiles, such as Snapchat and Instagram. The phone has become so much more than just communication because of this innovation. It has become more than just a tool, but an extension of its owner.

• This may be odd to say for a MIS course but I find technology to be the most important innovation to the original business model. As a child of the 80’s, we, as children, looked to television to tell us to tell our parents what to purchase us for the upcoming holiday season. When watching TV, I hardly ever see toy commercials. It seems that that days of ‘Mad Men’ type advertising agencies are gone. Toys “R” Us was founded in 1957. And has filed for bankruptcy protection in Sept of this year.
    I asked my son how he knows what toys/video games he wants. He told me that he gains interest by viewing youtube gamers and if he finds the games to be cool then he’ll ask for it. Technology has created a different model for marketing that has prevailed a decade or two ago.

• In my opinion, the most interesting innovation has been the commercial use of drones. Delivering packages within minutes from the online order will certainly increase customer satisfaction and sales. At the same time, mail carriers will face tougher competition and a need to adapt to this evolution. There will be a decline of employed delivery drivers and mailmen, but also an increase on warehouse employers and drone technicians.

• I think that the use of drones for photo taking purposes has been very useful, especially in Commercial Real estate. During my internship I saw first hand how the marketing head used pictures taken by drones to enhance the portfolio of the property. Allowing prospective buyers to see what a property looks like from a birds eye view, can increase the properties value by showing all it has to offers.

• In recent years, and even past years, everyone is fascinated with fast, and efficient. With online shopping growing everyday it is no shock that companies are looking for different ways to make deliveries, at an extremely fast rate. Now, this may seem like something that has always been present, but it is evolving at a rapid rate. We know have the capability to have food delivered to us in minutes. We can now get same day delivery for certain items. All of this comes with the evolution of technology and the increase in accessibility of the technology. Lastly, the competition amongst companies is driving the companies to find the best ways to beat their opponent. This is all great for us, the consumer, because it means we are able to get important and essential items at a faster more efficient pace.

• In my opinion, the two most useful innovations, that I use frequently, are Uber/Lyft and apps that allow us to pay for things. I use Uber around four times a week, and I find it very convenient and inexpensive. Uber has changed the taxi industry, causing some cities to try and ban Uber. Also, payment apps have changed the way people “carry” money. The majority of my friends say, “Venmo me,” instead of giving them the money. Venmo is very useful, and allows people to be able to eliminate the need to carry cash at all times.

• I think the most interesting innovation is the increasing use of robots. Robots have made it easier to do jobs that are either too difficult or too dangerous for humans. They have also helped humans make scientific breakthroughs. For example, we now have so much information on places humans cannot go to such as the surface of Mars and the deepest points of the oceans. However, as the technology used in robots continues to improve, the demand for a human workforce is beginning to decline in some industries.

• The most important innovation is the last few years in my opinion has been AI. A lot of technology companies have been pushing for awhile to develop better and better super computers. With Watson at the foreground silicon valley has jumped into the deep end pushing the limits more and more. The AI software has improved computing and is bringing us things like Alexa, self driving cars, and deep learning. The original business model has been changed slightly and seems to be adapting nicely to what automation brings us. Although many are worried that jobs will be lost.

• As I mentioned in class this week, I think the one of the most interesting innovations in the last few years is everyone’s fascination with robots and how one day very soon they will do and seem more human like. While I am an adult with teenage kids, I can vividly remember how not to long ago I felt robots and self driving cars are a ‘thing” of the future and they fact that “that future” seemed so far away. And now that future is here and it just seems weird. We’ve gotten away from doing things with our own two hands and the era of mechanical features doing it for us is present day.

Present day business models are all much more electronic, paperless, and even human-less at times. Machines and robots have replaced many jobs today. While I am all for technology and its use, I am an old soul at heart and still wish their was a better balance of the two vs one taking over the other.

• I think, the most interesting innovation was cloud. Just think of the implications! Businesses were connected throughout the world, everything could be done in real time. It is both a threat and possibilities. Threat because there’s no privacy left, everything is open whether it is put on internet or not. Possibilities are endless because cloud basically destroys borders and everyone is closer than ever to each other.

• Honestly I think one of the most overlooked disruptive innovations is the invention of Uber. Taxi companies were absolutely gutted when Uber started gaining traction. So much so even that it was banned in Philadelphia because the PPA couldn’t compete! You can summon a (relatively) safe ride to any location at any time of the day and go anywhere (within reason). Taxis/Ride sharing services have never been more convenient or competitive.

• Self driving cars are a new technology currently being tested in various countries. I think this will prove to be one of the most significant technological disruptions of our time. This will reinvent transportation and I believe it will be more beneficial than harmful.

• I think one of the most important disruptive innovations of the past few years is Netflix or online streaming. Online streaming disrupted several different markets included movie theaters and DVD stores. This innovation completely changed how the consumer views movies. It has put blockbuster out if business and movie theaters could be next if they do not change.

• I agree with others who have argued that the mobile internet is the most disruptive innovation. Being able to carry internet access in one’s pocket to complete payments, use GPS, connect with others, shop, bank etc has changed how people interact with the world. Ultimately, mobile technology and the mobile internet have changed how people live their daily lives which for me is the reason why they have been so disruptive. For businesses, the ease of access to information has meant that consumers can compare prices while they shop at bricks and motor stores, access product information, and customer reviews. Therefore, the mobile internet has made retail locations have increased competition and innovate ways to compete. In other ways, mobile internet has created an expectation that people are always connected. Bosses, and clients both expect that emails are responded to quickly and there has been an increasing blur between work and home life.

• The Internet has changed our lives. It has revolutionized communications, to the extent that it is now our preferred medium of everyday communication. In almost everything we do, we use the Internet. Ordering a pizza, buying a television, sharing a moment with a friend, sending a picture over instant messaging. Before the Internet, if you wanted to keep up with the news, you had to walk down to the newsstand when it opened in the morning and buy a local edition reporting what had happened the previous day. But today a click or two is enough to read your local paper and any news source from anywhere in the world, updated up to the minute.The Internet itself has been transformed. In its early days which from a historical perspective are still relatively recent it was a static network designed to shuttle a small freight of bytes or a short message between two terminals; it was a repository of information where content was published and maintained only by expert coders. Today, however, immense quantities of information are uploaded and downloaded over this electronic leviathan, and the content is very much our own, for now we are all commentators, publishers, and creators.