MIS 3537 – Spring 2017

100 second reflection for Week 6

Think for 100 seconds, and summarize the key things that you learned in the class during Week 6:

The Exam

Lecture about The Internet of Things

RFID Technology

28 Responses to 100 second reflection for Week 6

• One of the key things that I learned this week was how widely used and important RFID technology is to a successful companies inventory management and supply chain. Also, I never thought about how many benefits RFID has to a company. Besides the obvious benefits like inventory management, I never thought it helped tracked stolen packages, which would usually be lost causes, as well stopping the craze of lost items within the warehouse, which happens more often then one would think.

• In week 6 of class, we learned a lot about RFID technology. I was aware of how widespread this technology is and how often I use it in my day-to-day life. I never realized that the same device that I use to track my keys could have such large business applications, especially on the supply chain side! I enjoy the luxury of being able to track my packages so I think it was really interesting to learn how I am able to do that in the first place. I can see how that would arguably be even more beneficial to the company than it is to the customer.

• In Week 6, the key thing I learned was the Internet of Things. I was intrigued by just how many devices will be connected to the internet in 2020 (5 billion-20 billion). This could include bigger things like cars and fridges to smaller “smart items” like thermostats and home security systems. To know that the world is always connected to the web in some way is both convenient as well as alarming for how many things can truly be connected.

• The biggest takeaway from week six is how much RFID technology can facilitate efficient supply chain operations. Traditional operations require manual bar-code scanners which mean increased man power and time consumption. RFID allows cargo and product to be scanned and tracked to create maximum visibility for customers or supply chain functions without having to add another step of bar-code scaning.

• In week 6 of class after the exam the main focus of the lecture was on ‘the internet of things’ and RFID technology. RFID stand for Radio Frequency identification, and it is a widely used and also very important technology companies use for managing supply chains. There are three types of tags, passive tags, active tags, and semi-active tags, and they each have their own advantages and disadvantages. I found some of the aspects to be interesting, as well, such as the fact the US government used them to track nuclear/hazardous materials in the 60’s

• In week 6, I thought the lecture regarding RFID technology was interesting and useful for my major as a supply chain student. It is relatively new and saves businesses time and money by making processes more efficient. The three types of tags: passive, active, and semi-passive have individual characteristics and should be used in the proper situations. This technology has made inventory management far more successful and will continue to do so

• To begin with, I think that the exam was a fair assessment of the different applications of the topics we have covered thus far in the class. As far as IoT and RFID technologies go, I believe that companies across the world are only just beginning to realize the potential impacts of these innovations. RFID technologies can be seen as a small part of the much larger IoT movement, and the IoT movement has endless possibilities. When machines, tools, and products everywhere are connected, it is possible to increase supply chain efficiency to levels that were previously thought to be impossible. The IoT provides for instantaneous communication across the globe.

• This weeks class started with our first exam. I felt that the exam covered all of the material that we had gone over the last couple of months, but was set up in a difficult format with all of the short answer questions. It was successful in critically testing my knowledge of the material. I found the presentation on the Internet of Things to be particularly interesting. The idea of the concept is gearing every day items with complex technology capable of tracking data associated with the item’s use. I find this idea to be brilliant for around the household. The idea that a family can consume a week’s worth of groceries and have a tracking system constantly monitor what needs to be replenished is truly the future of technology in my opinion. RFID technology along with the different types and components was also discussed. An interesting example that I never thought of as being associated with RFID is EZPass.

• In week 6, we started off class by taking our first exam. The exam was pretty difficult. I feel like it definitely tested my knowledge of the topics we discussed over the last couple weeks. Then we started our discussion on The Internet of Things. We talked about the many different everyday personal items that connect to the internet and how far the internet has progressed over the years. Originally it was just a place full of documents, but now it is much more than that and it is used in almost every aspect of our lives. We finished up class by talking about RFIDs, how they work, and what they are used for.

• In week 6, we learned about RFID which stands fo Radio Fre

• In week 6, we learned about RFID which is Radio Frequency Identification and how it is used to track the movement of goods in the supply chain. The components of RFID include tags, scanners and readers, antenna, and host. We talked in class how RFID is applied in houses, cars and toll collections such as E-ZPass, and many other things. We also learned how the implementation of RFID in supply chain results in increased accuracy of orders, reduced loss of items, and improved inventory management.

• In Week 6, we learned about the Internet of Things (IOT), as well as RFID technology and the impact it can have on individuals and businesses. I did not know what IOT was, but now I understand that essentially everything is connected to the internet. For example, we spoke about HVAC’s, cars and refrigerators all having a sensory device that connect them to the internet, ultimately connecting them to us. We also discussed RFID technology and the components that are associated with it. One topic we discussed was how costly RFID is and how important it is to minimize expenses when installing them. For example, placing one sensor at the door to the classroom vs. placing sensors on every single seat in the classroom.

• This week after taking the exam, we discussed the “internet of things,” or how we use the internet in our everyday lives, even when we are not surfing the web. We discussed the evolution of internet compatibility with different devices, from consumer products like our devices, cameras, refrigerators, etc. to industries and their connectivity through devices like surveillance, vehicles, solar panels, etc. This discussion had me thinking about just how connected we are all the time, and just how pervasive the internet is throughout society. We learned about RFID devices are used for tracking purposes. I realized something I use everyday, my EZpass in my car, uses RFID technology to keep track of m traveling on the turnpike. It was interesting learning about the different components that make up an RFID device like the antenna, circuit, and substrate, and why they are needed.

• This week we discussed IOT (the Internet of Things) and RFID technology. Realizing how frequently the internet simplifies our lives is really incredible because more often than not I don’t think we even recognize what the internet is playing a part in. Additionally, the concept of RFID technology shows so much potential and it seems like it will be playing an increasingly paramount role in our lives in the near future. It hard to believe that we often already encounter RFID on a regular basis, many times without realizing it. I think it’s really interesting what kind of potential the technology has, especially when considering the plans that Amazon has for their new grocery store concept.

• In week 6, we learned about the Internet of Things and we discussed RFID technology. The introduction of RFID tags greatly impacted supply chain management. This technology increases inventory accuracy, allowing companies to improve inventory management. I was shocked when I learned that there is an estimate of 5-20 billion devices that will be connected to the internet in 2020. I am excited to see what new technologies will emerge and how the supply chain will continue to become more and more efficient over the years.

• In our session of week 6, we learned about RFID which stands for Radio Frequency Identification. RFID effects supply chain because of its use in easy tracking. And RFID device can be attached to a product and then this product can be tracked as long as it is in the distance of a scanner. This can provide real time information to the customer and producer of where the item is at all times. This would help with any tracking issues. RFID is also used outside of shipping. Since RFID can share data they have endless uses. RFID can be used in electronic devices to make them or accessible for use. RFID can be used in common household appliances like the thermometer to control it from a distance. We also talked about the Internet of Things which is essentially the inter-connection of out electronic devices. This has been growing with the creation of SMART devices that are all easily connected to each other.

• In this session, we discussed the possibilities of RFID and IoT in relation to supply chains. RFID has great potential for increasing traceability of products and merchandise, and many companies are adopting it into their supply chain and warehousing strategies. Additionally, we also spoke on how IoT has established connections between everyday objects (highways, refrigerator, cars) and the internet. This objects can be connected with sensors that make them capable of tracking and sending data. This ability to capture and utilize data from all different aspects of life will increase humans ability to understand the world around us; data is like carbon, everything is made up of it… we just need to be able to capture it.

While these technologies are great at increasing supply chain efficiencies, they also come with potential dangers. RFID technology is very simple and has minimal security measures in place to prevent information being collected by the wrong people. Additionally, IoT devices are often created with a lack of focus in security. These devices are easily hackable, and can be used for a variety of damaging attacks; for example, Distributed Denial of Service attacks have become increasingly popular. These attacks are extremely easy to execute, and yet very difficult to predict and protect against. As companies continue to implement RFID and IoT into their overall strategies, they must increase their investments into cyber security or else they will be putting proprietary information at great risk.

• I thought the exam was tougher than expected. The IOT is a very sensitive matter and people often have concerns regarding their privacy. On the other hand, there are a ton of great things that can be connected to the internet. For example, my house’s thermostat is connected to the internet. I can therefore change the temperature in the house from my bedroom or anywhere else in the house. Also, if i am on vacation and I forget to adjust the temperature for an empty house, then I can change it from on the road. The concern regarding privacy is that people think IOT invades their privacy, such as possible listening and reporting information when there was no consent given.

• In week 6 the “internet of things” was introduced. Specifically we discussed how RFID technology is effecting businesses supply chains. This technology allows businesses to track inventory and reduces the risks of stealing. As this technology continues to be widely implemented there are concerns regarding peoples privacy. Many consumers don’t know the things they buy are equipped with RFID technology. This means they are unknowingly connecting to the internet of things. Furthermore most RFID’s are easily hacked because they don’t have security measures in place.

• This week we learned how the internet is becoming more and more integrated into our society. It is everywhere, in places such as cars, refrigerators, thermostats, and more. We are even able to control the temperature of our houses while away. We then discussed how the internet is changing businesses. The internet is making warehouses more and more efficient by having RFID to track all of the inventory. We had an introduction to what makes up RFID technology, and even got our own little tags.

• During the lecture of week six, we talked about the concept of the Internet of Things and its evolution, as well covered the RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) technology as our primary topic for this lecture. I learned the RFID technology was apply to various industry as a functional tool since World War II. By utilizing this technology, the company is allowed to savDuring the lecture of week six, we talked about the concept of the Internet of Things and its evolution, as well covered the RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) technology as our primary topic for this lecture. I learned the RFID technology was apply to various industry as a functional tool since World War II. By utilizing this technology, the company is allowed to save a lot of expenses for the things like information tracking. What’s more, the RFID technology owned more potential power for the supply chain operation even in the future.
    e a lot of expenses for the things like information tracking. What’s more, the RFID technology owned more potential power for the supply chain operation even in the future.

• Week 6’s lecture covered the topic of RFID technology including what it is and how its used in Supply Chain. RFID is a relativity new technology that has become essential for a lot of businesses when looking to save money. I found it most interesting learning about some of the things that RFIDs are in and how small they are. When you think of EZ Pass and how you can drive through a toll at 65 MPH and the small RFID chip in your car will register and charge you money is pretty amazing. Looking at this weeks case study and seeing how effective RFID’s were in saving Metro money and improving their supply chain and inventory costs was the perfect study for a real life example into RFID’s.

• In this week I was given a better understanding of RFID technology because I didn’t know how it was built and learned more about its practicalities. It wasn’t a significant lesson to me because I was already aware of it. The biggest piece of information I took away was the internet of things and how internet is being implemented into all facets of our lives. The graphic of the world and how things were connected to the internet put it in perspective for me. I didn’t realize how much our world was being stored online.

• In week 6 we discussed the RFID technology and how it benefits the supply chain. RFID chips have increased the efficiency in supply chains, costing companies less and giving the more information. I was never aware of how beneficial these were to a supply chain as opposed to a barcode or other form of technology. I also didn’t realize how many things we buy contain RFID chips in them.

• In week 6, after the exam we discussed the Internet of things (IoTs) and the number of products classified as them. There is a growing trend in wearables and home appliances that have Internet capabilities. It was also interesting to learn about the current and future statistics on the number of items connected. Another topic we discussed was RFID technology, which uses tags to identify and track products. This technology is popular because it increases the efficiency of tracking items and eliminates human error.

• For week six, after the exam, we discussed RFID and its values to supply chains, and the internet of things. I was shocked to learn that 20 billion devices will be connected to the Internet by 2020. As for RFID, it was cool to learn that RFID can help prevent items from being stolen. In terms of the test, I found that it was harder than I had expected. The open ended format threw me off a bit, especially the question (I believe #8) that wanted a one word answer, but I didn’t understand how to answer it in one word. For the next exam I’ll know what to expect.

• I though the Exam was a fair assessment of the in class content we have discussed for the first half of the semester. I felt prepared and that we covered the topics thoroughly. We also went over the IoTs, the Internet of things, and how RFID is affecting business. I have learned alot about RFID in other classes, so it is becoming very clear how prevalent and important it is today.

• I found the exam challenging but not very difficult due to the fact that it was open notes. The challenging part was the style of the questions. I was expecting to have the usual multiples choices questions. Overall, it was a fair exam that required a lot of critical thinking. Regarding the topic of Internet of thing, with more than 20 billions of devices that will be connected on the internet in 2020 we should worried about the security risk that will also increase. It will be difficult for companies to secure their systems against a botnet attacks.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *