Mining Diamonds in the Data

Announcements

New site for course blog

All posts for this course will be made on the new course blog:

https://www.yellowdig.com/board/Data+Analytics+for+Managers

You’ll need to create an account on Yellowdig first and then use the above URL. Please review the instructional video if you are not familiar with Yellowdig (bottom right side of screen) – https://www.yellowdig.com

Getting Tableau Desktop

Tableau is a popular visual analytics tool used by many organizations. We’ll be using it in this course.

You can get a full copy of the software – PC or Mac – for free!

To download and activate your software:

1. Go to the landing page and click the “Get Started” button.
  2. Fill out the form:
    1. Under “Organization”, enter “Temple University”
    2. Under “Job Role”, mark “Student”
    3. Under “Industry”, mark “Education”
    4. Under “Department”, mark “Other”
  3. Get your Tableau Key from the Blackboard.
  4. After you install Tableau you can choose to activate the software. Use the Tableau Key.

Tableau’s site has a series of quick start guides and video-based training. If you want to do something that we don’t cover in class, check there.

Welcome to MIS 5401: Data Analytics

Hi All,
I would like to take this opportunity to welcome all of you to the course, and hope that you enjoy your time in this class while learning about the unique opportunities provided by data analytics to enhance firms’ competitiveness.
A copy of the syllabus is posted on the blog. Please take a moment to read it and familiarize yourself with the content and format of the course. The syllabus is subject to updates and modifications as the course progresses, and I’ll announce any changes to the syllabus in class.
Here are a couple of announcements for now:
1. There is no required textbook for the course. The main mode of teaching is lectures, in-class exercises, and computer labs.
2. All announcements, lecture slides, assignments, grades and other course related material will be posted on this course blog and not on the blackboard.
Please feel free to contact me in case of any questions. I’ll look forward to seeing you on Monday,
Sunil