Section 006, Instructor: Shana Pote

2nd Guest Speaker and Extra Credit

As discussed on Monday, Oct 31 at the start of class (see Class Capture if you arrived late), we were to have a guest presenter on Wednesday, Nov 2, one of my students from Fall 2015 semester, Logan Peterson. Logan is a 3rd year Marketing student, also pursuing a double minor in Management Information Systems, and Geography and Urban Studies. He was to present on his work with data from his last internship.

Due to a scheduling conflict, Logan will not be able to present in person on Wednesday. However, he presented to my Spring 2016 Data Science class, and we captured his presentation via Class Capture. In lieu of having Logan speak live, you’ll be able to view his recorded session from that Spring session.

Note, the recording can only be accessed via Blackboard, not this community site. This is to protect confidential information shared by Logan about the organization he interned with. (If you recall, this community site is open to the public Internet.) You may view the presentation by logging first into my Blackboard site, and then logging into the Mediasite portal with your AccessNet ID and password. The link is at the bottom of this post.

In addition to viewing Logan’s presentation, I am also offering the opportunity to earn extra credit in conjunction with this video.

Based on the presentation, you may earn extra credit by answering at least 6 of the questions below. Each quality answer (2-3 sentences) is worth ½ a point on your final grade. If you choose to answer all 10 questions, it can add up to 5 points, or around 2 letter steps (e.g. B- to B+) to your final grade for this class. But you must make this worth both our time. You do not need to answer all 10 questions, but you must answer at least 6 questions for me to accept and grade your submission.

1. Give an example of data Logan received to analyze.
  2. Describe how he processed that data into information.
  3. Describe how he used that information to derive a specific insight.
  4. Describe a challenge Logan had with the data he received.
  5. Describe a challenge he had processing the data into information.
  6. Describe a challenge he had extracting insights from that information.
  7. Name a possible bias you observed in Logan’s data set.
  8. At what stage of analysis was that bias introduced?
    • Hypothesis formulation
    • Establishing measurement methodology
    • Data collection
    • Summarizing data
    • Displaying data
    • Analyzing data
    • Interpreting results
  9. How could you correct for the bias?
  10. What was the most surprising thing you learned during Logan’s presentation?

You have until the end of class, 8:50 am on December 9, 2016, to complete this for extra credit. No late submissions will be accepted.

You will submit it to my OwlBox at (MIS0855.1ptopenatj1r90sy@u.box.com) from your Temple account. As usual, save your receipt.

You can access the Class Capture here.

I will have all extra credit submissions graded and uploaded by the last day of class, on December 12.

Professor Pote

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Office Hours

Shana Pote (instructor)
By Appointment Only! Email to schedule time between 6-10 pm, M-F, or 9-12 S-S. Office hours will be via Google Hangout, Skype or WebEx
Email shana.pote@temple.edu to set up appointment.

ITA information

Craig Kestecher (ITA)
Office hours/tutoring, by appointment only.
Email: tuf94617@temple.edu