MIS 2101.701 – Amy Lavin – Summer 2017

Weekly Question #1

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on May 23, 2016. Your response only needs to be about three or four sentences. These weekly questions should reinforce class discussions, readings and show some insight.  

Hint: If you sign into the site using your AccessNet ID and password you won’t have to fill in the name, email and captcha fields when you leave your comment.

Watch the Did You Know Video – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqZiIO0YI7Y  

Comment below on what you thought was the most interesting fact and why. As current or future business leaders, what skills do you think are essential  for success in the digital economy?

43 Responses to Weekly Question #1

• Of the many facts stated throughout the video, one in particular that I found very interesting was that 25% of China’s population with the highest IQs, is greater than the total population of North America. I find that interesting because the difference in population between these two countries is so drastic that just 25% of Chinas population with high IQ’s, can overcome the entire population in the United States. This fact really emphasizes the variance of population density in China compared to other less populated countries, even the United States. There are many skills that are essential for success in the workplace, but hard work, perseverance, integrity, creativity, good communication and analytical skills, the ability to multi-task and a general comfort with technology are all some of the essential skills necessary for success in the digital economy.

• The fact that I find most interesting is that the top 10 in-demand jobs in 2010 did not even exist in 2004. This fact illustrates how the rapidly developing technologies have fundamentally changed the demands and supplies in labor markets. What this also means is that in order to be successful in future job market where jobs will be drastically different from nowadays, students need to receive more comprehensive education to improve cognitive abilities, adaptive abilities and technology know-how instead of merely pursuing vocational or skill-specific studies.

As for current and future business leaders, judgment skills might be the most important and essential skills. While AI and robotics have the potential to replace most administrative and supporting jobs, judgment skill is a distinctive human ability that cannot be replaced by existing technology or AI potentials. Therefore, there will be a great number of new managerial jobs that require digital know-how and judgment skills built upon expertise and experience. Furthermore, such judgment skills will be needed to judge the AI simulated results and balance the short-term and long-term profits.

• The fact that most struck me was “the amount of new technical information is doubling every 2 years.” We have such an abundance of information that this video was overwhelming for me to watch. Until quite recently in human history, being a “Renaissance Man” was actually possible. There were not many things to become proficient in compared to today. As humans have gained more knowledge, we have become more specific in our fields of study. For example, Temple University has recently added an MIS major. Within MIS, there are many specializations – and new ones being formed everyday. Therefore, experts nowadays must have very specific training in order to do their job efficiently.
    As far as essential skills, I think future business leaders need to take every opportunity they can to learn about the ever-changing technology being used around the world. Someone who can work with Macs, PCs, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, WordPress etc. will be more successful then someone who cannot, even if some or none of those things apply directly to their job. As aforementioned, it is impossible to become an expert in technology as a whole, but the more knowledge that can be attained, the better one can market themselves and ultimately increase productivity. I also believe it is important to be flexible when it comes to processes. There will always be new, more efficient ways of completing tasks, and the inability to grasp new concepts could be detrimental to one’s success. To quote Bob Dylan, “The times, they are a changin’.”

• I find the most interesting fact in the video to be that, for the first time, we have four generations working side by side who are all used to communicating in different ways, be it snail mail, phone call, email, or text message. While this is not news to any of us, I think it helps shed light on one of the biggest issues in the workplace. Even though all generations might have been trained in the same knowledge from our field of study, we learned it and communicate it using different technologies. Therefore I think adaptability is an essential skill needed to succeed in the ever-changing world of technology.

• All of the facts presented in this video were really interesting and intriguing, but the one that I found the most interesting was that 1 in 6 couples married last year met online. As a current/future business leader, skills that are essential for being successful in the digital economy is being able to use platforms and manage these platforms digitally. By using platforms (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, LinkedIn, etc.) a business leader can choose to target a certain audience and link their own platform in with the other platforms. Example: Tinder allows a user to link up their Facebook profile to help manage their dating profile. By utilizing what is already there and available, this teamwork mentality allows for the success of this particular dating platform, if we chose to tie it in with the interesting face in the video that I found so interesting.

• It’s pretty crazy that there over 1,000 people like me in other countries and even in the United States. China definitely has an advantage since there are a bunch of more people there than there is in the United States so that’s why they have an advantage over us. Social media accounts are essential for having a digital economy because everyone uses sites such as Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Foursquare, Pinterest etc. Navigating sites like these are essential skills in getting an advantage over other competitors. These social media accounts provide growth and feedback from their customers to see what a company can do to improve. For example, Nordstrom uses Foursquare where customers can check in and if a certain amount of customers check in then Nordstrom gives them promotions in which they can use to buy anything in the store. Nordstrom makes all there sales from using methods like these.

• What struck me most interesting in this video is the fact that 10 years ago all the top in-demand jobs barely even existed. Now all the jobs that are in-demand require knowledge of technology. We don’t think about how important technology has become to our everyday life. The way we communicate, work, share information, date, ect. People are no longer writing personalize letter. We can send a quick E-mail and the messages will be received within seconds. Social media has allowed us to read and share news at the click of a button. Technology has become an essential part of all our lives and as future business leaders we have to keep up with the ever-changing trends. Take advantage of opportunities to learn new technology. In order to succeed you have to be proactive in this digital world we live in.

• To be honest, the most interesting fact that stood out to me was that Candy Crush saga has 7.6 million users per day and 225 million users per month. That equates to about $850,000 PER DAY, and $230 Million per year. A game that is nothing more than hitting fake jewels creates over twice the income every day than the average salary of the wealthiest 1% of the world’s population. I have some family members that play the game, but I have never played before, so I am not completely qualified to give an opinion on the value of playing Candy Crush Saga. I just think it’s an important fact to consider. To think that all these people are spending that much time and money on a game with fake jewels really tells you a lot about how valuable the entertainment business is. As time goes on, my assumption is that it’s going to be more and more important to be able to capture people’s attention in a unique way. Your business will not be able to compete with all of different stimulations being thrown at people unless you understand human psychology and how to entertain people in a captivating way.

• In my personal opinion, I believe that the most interesting fact that was presented was that only 34 years after the first mobile phone call took place, Apple launched the very first iPhone. This fact shows how quickly technology is constantly changing and improving. It has now been almost 44 years since the very first phone call took place and over 2 billion people are currently using smartphones.
    The ability to adapt to new technology is a vital tool that we as future business leaders needs to acquire because of the rapid rate that new and better technological products are being produced.

• A fact that stood out to me was that a weeks worth of the New York Times contains more information than a person from the 18th century would be exposed to in a lifetime. This fact goes to show how significant the information age has become in the world we live in today. It has never been easier to access information from a variety of different sources and media outlets, especially with how impactful and widespread technology has become.
    In todays current economy it is essential for business people to be technologically savvy as well as being up to date on new products and services that are being created every day. Keeping up with the fast-paced business world is key for people who want to succeed in todays digital economy.

• What I found most interesting about the video was that by 2020 there will be 75 billion devices that will be connected to the internet. I also thought it was interesting that China and India have more honors children than we have children in the US.
    What I think will be import to as a future business leader to understand that, right now we aren’t able to market to everyone around the world, but that in three years there will be 75 billion devices connected to the internet that means we can have the ability to sell to people in the next few years.

• The fact most attract me is: “1 out of 6 couples married in the U.S. last year met online”. The Internet almost connects you to all the countries all over the world. The only thing you need to do is sitting in front of your desktop or laptop, or just use your smartphone to make a new friend from thousands and thousands of miles away. “10 million self-Driving cars will be on the road by 2020” which also indicate that technology will cause people getting lazy and lazy. Like one science fiction mentioned, the human being will become a shape with a bigger head, smaller body and shorter limbs in the future. This evolve will become true.

• One fact that I found the most interesting was that 1 in 6 couples married last year met online. As a future businessman, skills that are essential for being successful in the digital economy is being able to use platforms and manage these platforms digitally. The Internet has advanced at such a rapid pace that we can talk, see and experience news and people from around the world anytime and anywhere we want. The only thing you need to do is operate a smartphone or a desktop, to interact and draw attention from individuals. Being tech-savvy would make you a great asset to your future employers as technology has been known to help businesses save money and work more efficiently.

• The fact that I find very fascinating is that half of what students learn in their first year of a college degree will be outdated by their third year of study. This fact shows how quickly everything changes and how significant the information age has become in the world we live today. The digital economy is one of the most dynamic fields. For a future business leader, continuous learning is an essential skill. The fact that what we learned gets outdated so quickly shows that we need to constantly educate ourselves to be efficient and productive. Predictions that by 2049 a $1,000 computer will exceed the computation capabilities of the entire human species is just unbelievable.

• Of all the information in the video what I found most surprising was how quickly new technology is being developed. In the video, it states that “the amount of new technological information is doubling every two years”. To put that into perspective they use the example that while attending a four your university studying in the field of technology half of what the student learned in their first year will be out dated by their third year of school. To me this means one of the most important skills to have in the business world today is adaptation. You need to be able to keep up with the change and not fall behind. I believe this is true in all aspects of a business because technology is used for nearly everything, and for where it is not used as much now new technology is most likely going to be implemented in the near future. Another key skill is initiative because you need to recognize when change is happening and have the incite to find a way to learn about the changes so you can keep up with what is happening around you.

• I found all the data information in this video interesting and worth noting. We are aware that foreign countries such as India and China are advancing at a much faster rate than America. Importance is placed in education and technology, which are the main means to success and advancement. Date can provide useful information to not only business majors but also consumers in general. Businesses can use data to create products and/or build foreign plants for profits and to build loyal customers.

• The most interesting fact from the video was that by the year 2050 our population is projected to reach 10 billion compared to the 7.3 billion people that we are currently at right now. This means there will be an abundance of consumers that will need to be targeted. Addressing those needs will need to be done in the most efficient and cost effective way possible. Data mining and analytics is the best way to do this, meaning the demand for business minded data analysts and architects will only increase.

• The fact that I found the most interesting was that 25% of China’s highest IQ is more than the entire of population of North America. The video eventually deduced this fact to, all of China’s honor students are more the amount of kids in North America. I find this interesting because it really puts into perspective how important it is to be competitive, especially in a global market with so many competitors on the table now. Skills that I find to be important in the digital economy is adaptability and work ethic. Adaptability because in the digital economy, things are changing all of the time so you need to be to adapt to these constant changes. And work ethic because I feel that someone needs to set themselves apart from everyone else and this is through work ethic.

• The most interesting fact that came to me was that by the year 2050 the population will grow to an estimated 10 billion people. That shows us that we as a human race are not dying off by in fact still showing signs of progression. And with the demand of more people the IT and Information technology age will take on a whole new meaning; needing to cater and spread to the whole world. I can only imagine technology and IT getting better and more sophisticated by the year 2050. In many many ways based on recent statistics the technology age has already began and by 2050 it will only increase based on supply and demand. Don`t know about flying cars yet, or time travel, but by then everything in our society will be technology based or somewhat technology or computer based; thus the importance of having people literate and fluent in computers and technology will be needed. We already see automatic driven cars coming out now. That’s why MIS is such an up and coming field today now and into the future it will be a key job sector going forward. With regards to the second part of the question, I already touched on it briefly above. The question was what skills will needed in the future business sector and digital economy. All people not only in the business world but society as well; will need to be computer literate and somewhat fluent in the IT and CS world. Also just as now the market for MIS majors is growing; I can only imagine how much it will be in need by the year 2050. By 2050 the whole society for that matter will probably be IT and CS based.

• While these numbers were definitely interesting, I didn’t find many statistics that shocking because as a traveler who meets new people every day, I kind of have a sense of just how many people from all over the world access various websites, apps, etc. I rarely meet people in developed countries who do not have a Facebook account, for example. Even my grandparents do. Anyway, I found the fact that there will be 10 million self-driving cars on the road by 2020 unimaginable. We’re nearly halfway through 2017 and while I know they are out there, it just doesn’t seem realistic that so many will be on the road so soon, as they are still encountering problems and getting into accidents. Still, innovation and optimism are essential for success in this rapidly advancing world. Business leaders cannot become complacent, pessimistic, traditional, or close-minded when information is becoming outdated so quickly. Technology is a powerful tool, as evidenced by the sheer numbers of people that take advantage of it daily.

• In my opinion, the fact that I found most interesting in this video is that we’ve four generations who grew up with different communicating ways working side by side. It is amazing as the elder generations have to have high adapting skills and also a fast learner to stay up to date with the constant growth and improvement of programs that improve the productivity of the business. As current or future business leaders, the skills that I think are essential for success in the digital economy is being open minded to learn and accept the new technologies.

• A lot of the facts presented were things that I have been told or thought about before, especially the one detailing four generations of people working together and preparing for jobs that don’t even exist yet. Those facts are definitely the most interesting and exciting! The one that i didn’t know of was the 10 million self-driving cars in 2020. I know that self-driving cars have been built and tested, but having 10 million of those cars ready by 2020 seems crazy, I almost can’t even believe it. I took Social Media Marketing last semester and one of our debate topics was self driving cars. While it is good for business and the future of the economy, most companies do not have real road-driving cars ready. They are tested countless times, but there is always an error at least once. For this to even work, it needs to be errorless or these car companies will be putting their customers and others on the road in danger. Needless to say, I was definitely a little shocked to hear that, from the date of the video (2016) they felt that 10 million cars will be ready in just four years. Time will tell! As a future business leader, I would not want to be a part of the self driving car campaign. Could lead to a PR disaster! In terms of the digital economy, the skills for success is to be open minded, up for a challenge, and ready to take on new projects daily. Except maybe self-driving cars.

• Like many others have already stated, there are numerous interesting facts. I picked one that pertained to me pretty closely. 1 out of 6 couples married in the US last year met online. I met my fiance online and it really makes me think that Information Systems are only growing in importance. Based on information that my fiance and I “put out there” on a dating website we were matched. Somehow, somewhere for some weird reason the things we like to do brought us together…because of Information Systems. I would really like to know the algorithms that went into that. It makes my think that there are some crazy Google Analytics like technologies for match.com that brought us together. Again, numerous interesting facts in that clip.

• I think the most interesting fact was that “Predictions are that by 2049 a $1,000 computer will exceed the computation capabilities of the entire human species”. I believe that development in technology will have a large impact on the global workforce (especially in with the progression of artificial intelligence). As an accounting major I have an interest of the effect technology will have with tracking business information and data.

• I found the facts posted in the video to all be relevant and intregeing. One that stands out is the education received in year 1 will be outdated by year 3. It confirms the notion that we need to always be learning and looking for ways to improve. Data helps us do exactly this exactly… learn and improve. The collection of data in some ways is like history. “Those who don’t learn it are doomed to repeat it.” Companies today are data driven. Success is based on metrics or the story the data is telling. This is the basis for ERP, CRM, and SCM systems. These systems add great value to organizations.

• I thought the most interesting fact was that a week’s worth of NY Times contains more information than an 18th century person would come across in his or her lifetime. I find this fact to be interesting because it tells me that our generation is in a position to utilize this information to create even more advances, while at the same time, to a certain extent, explaining why our attention span is in fact decreasing (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/03/12/humans-have-shorter-attention-span-than-goldfish-thanks-to-smart/). I think adaptability, flexibility, and creativity will be essential for success in the digital economy, as new technologies and information will without a doubt reshape our reality at a faster pace than ever before.

• The fact that interested me most was that for the first time in history, we’ve got four generations working side by side who all grew up communicating in very different ways. For example, the image shown when this fact is presented has four people each stating their preferred way of communicating; writing, calling, emailing, and texting. I thought this was interesting because it shows just how much technology has advanced over the span of one person’s lifetime. Also, it portrays how medically advanced we’ve become, because people are living to much older ages and continue to work until their mid to late sixties and sometimes even longer than that. This would’ve been unheard of just a few decades ago. As a future business leader, I think the most important skills that ensure success are to have good communication and to be able to adapt to the ways of others. As seen in the fact about the constant change in technology, it is critical that we keep up on our methods of communication. Being able to interact with others is necessary in order to get anything done, so if someone you work with prefers one form of communication such as emailing, then you should be able to adapt to that even if you tend to communicate using another form.

• The fact that interested me the most was that “today’s learner will have 10-14 jobs by the age of 38”. I find this interesting because it is understandable that at a young age you may bounce from job to job. However, it seems that people in the previous generations only changed jobs a very few times once they found a career. I think this shows that with a more technologically advance society there is more variety and opportunity for workers. For a business leader to be successful in a digital economy the most important skills are having good communication, being able to adapt, and to understand or be willing to learn the modern technology. Technology is constantly changing and I know many older people who simply don’t want to keep up with it, leaving them at a huge disadvantage business wise.

• I was shocked when I saw this video because some facts are reflected in the data. The population of world is rising so fast in these years ,and people is the most important resource of a country because people create all of things in our life. In addition, I was surprised about how quickly the technology is developing in the world. For example, We know more than 2 billion people have a smartphone now, and 10 million self-drive cars will be on the road by 2020.

• Today is a informantion wxplode age. There are a lot of new things created by human. The amount of new technical information is doubling every 2 years. In other word, everyone can’t stop learn new things every day. But there is also a problem, too much things for us to learn. So we need to select the most useful and important thing. Every one is a normal people, even you are one of a million, there are still 7 thousand people just like you. So we should keep learning and impove ourself in every minutes.

• The fact that shocked me the most was that half of what students learn in the first year of a four year college degree would be outdated by their third year of study. This makes me wonder why I should pursue a degree if the information that I’m learning will be useless in a few years. I believe that the four year college model has become outdated, and this statistic supports that. It also doesn’t make sense to me why people have to take classes in all sorts of departments that don’t align with a student’s major or career path. It would make more sense for a student to apply for internships in the field in which he or she is interested in so the student can learn technical skills specific to that industry. Instead, the modern student is forced to face a conglomerate of debt inducing electives and gen eds that do not further a student’s technical or interpersonal skills whatsoever.

• The fact that stood out to me was that technological advances double every two years. I knew that when it came to technical information that it was always on the rise but not that fast. The fact that half of the information we learned in the first two years of college will be outdated by our third year. What everyone should take away from this video is that and the fact that we need to take initiative to keep ourselves up to date when it comes to current events. For example so much information can come from something such as the news paper, as well as online resources that previous generations weren’t open to. Instead of sitting back and letting the times change, change with the times.

• Although there were many interesting facts in this video, the one I found most interesting is that we are currently preparing students for jobs that don’t exist yet, to use technologies that haven’t been invented yet, and to solve problems that are not yet problems. It is amazing how we can predict what is going to happen in the near future and say that we will be prepared to solve problems that we don’t know are problems yet. Not long ago, this kind of thinking did not exist. To be successful in the digital economy, one needs to be highly technologically skilled. Technology is taking over businesses and is only getting more advanced. Along with this, I think adaptability is another important skill to have. As I said before, technology is becoming more and more advanced and one needs to be able to adapt to different technologies, programs, and environments in order to be successful.

• I found most interesting in this video as to how many jobs the average person now will have 10-14 jobs by the age of 38. I was always told that it is normal to go through like 7 different jobs throughout a lifetime, but I now believe from this video with the way technology is advancing and so rapidly this opens far more opportunities for job seekers to try out to figure out what they like. I feel for businesses and industries to be able to adapt to these changes they have to be able to continue to seek education on every technology advancement as they come out in order to stay ahead. The video even stated when students are in college, by their third year there is already knew information from what they had learned. The same has to go for businesses, they must continue to learn and keep up with anything knew in technology and be able to have a culture that can quickly adapt to these changes in order to stay ahead!

• The fact that I found most interesting was about the differences in population growth rates in the United States vs. China and India. The fact that they have more honor students than we have students. Despite this, most people in the US still are under the illusion of being the number one economy in the world. Over the next few decades there will be massive effects from the growth rates in the populations as well as the economies of these countries and the United States will dwarf china and India in comparison. The key will be finding environmental and economically sustainable solutions to support that many new high impact consumers in the coming years.

• Everything in this word is always changing especially technology, population, and medicine. The fact that I found most interesting is how technology is changing constantly and if it is not kept up with, one will fall behind and lose the ability of the connection they once had with technology. Also, technology can literally be the access to find whatever you are looking for and there are solutions to problems that are more faster and efficient. As a future business leader, the skills that I think are essential for success in the digital economy is keeping up with the change and learning new ideas and skills that will further my knowledge to be a successful in business.

• The fact that I found most interesting was that for students who are starting a 4 year college degree half of what they learn in their first year of study will be outdated by their third year of study. This shows how fast technology is changing and how much more new information is coming about each year. A way for students like myself to combat this issue is to keep studying and reading even when we finish our degree of choice. Luckily, as a student at Temple University, I am offered many different ways to learn new things and receive various certifications through tuportal. It’s extremely important for people to keep up to date on new technology and to stay informed with what’s going on in the world. In order to be successful in business, individuals must use the resources offered at Temple or their university and also read; professional articles, magazines, and newspapers.

• In my opinion the most interesting was there are 1.55 billion active users on Facebook each month. This caught my eye because to me it means there are so many connections that can be made on Facebook, which is a great thing. But at the same time it means that there are more people looking at your profile, so you need to be even more private than before. This is something that many of us already know to do, but putting a number to how many active users there are makes it even more serious and gives context to the statement. As a future business leader some skills I believe that are essential to success in the digital economy world is the ability to adapt to change well and to always be curious. Being able to adapt well to change is vital because it shows that you can learn anything and are willing to try to do your best under various circumstances. And it is important to always be curious especially in the digital economy world because everything changes so fast. If you aren’t curious or aware you may miss something and lose out on opportunities.

• The fact I found most interesting in this video was how school systems and universities are currently preparing their students for jobs that do not yet exist. I found this interesting because this era may be the first in history with unknown job outlooks for the future. The innovation of technology is still so unknown that we cannot specifically prepare our younger individuals for workforce jobs. This is why technological skills are imperative for success in the digital economy. All generations need to be preparing for the future by learning new technologies. It is inevitable that technology is the future and that is the most important skill to master right now.

• Throughout this video there are multiple facts in which I almost could not believe. The part I thought was most interesting was the section about just how big Facebook truly is. The first fact about Facebook is that there are 1.55 billion daily users. That is incredible and it shows just how useful Facebook can be when you need to network or get in touch with individuals. The video went on to say if Facebook were a country it would be the largest in the entire world. It would be bigger than China, India, and the US which was mind-blowing for me. Facebook now has 4.5 billion likes per day, which is over a trillion like per year! Facebook has accomplished all this in only 13 years, it was started in 2004. To me these facts show just how the world is truly turning into a technology based community.

• What surprised me the most was the fact that stated the “the amount of technical information is doubling every 2 years.” The amount of cumulative change will eventually be unsurmountable for a student completing her bachelors degree. The hasty development of the industry will require new professionals and thinkers to maintain a balanced workforce. As a business student we always have to adapt and learn new things to keep up to date to further my knowledge and be successful in the business environment.

• The video and all the facts listed were very interesting. The fact the 1 in 6 couples married last year met online was not surprising, but very interesting. I remember being told not to meet people from online. Now it is normal to meet people from online. Even our classes are given online. Technology is quickly evolving and the information that we are able to receive at our fingertips. While I didn’t meet a spouse online I have met very many good friends that I have been friends with for years since, The internet and online social media platforms such as Facebook connect billions of people daily. What is surprising is that the video says that we should have about 10 million self driving cars on the road by 2020. We are now halfway through 2017. While I think it is a possibility, I would be very surprised to see that many self driving cars on the road in less than 3 years. While we have seen technology do many things, that would surprise me.

• I felt the most interesting part of the video would be showing the age demographic all are working together, but communicating in various ways. This can potentially become an obstacle due to how quickly technology is changing, causing different communication techniques done by different age groups. Employers should be looking at how quickly a candidate can adapt to the fast-changing technology we have in place today.