Internet Enabled Supply Chain

MIS 3537 – Spring 2017

Q&A: Sourcing and Risk

Natural disasters such the Japan tsunami of 2011 can cause great disruptions in the supply chain. Read this article on how the supply chain of technology companies has been affected by this event (click here).

What steps can companies take to prevent such disruptions in supply chains?

Hulu Case Questions

MIS 3537  Internet and Supply Chains

Due Date: March 20, 2017

Refer to the case “Hulu: An Evil Plot to Destroy the World” from the HBSP website.

Answer the following questions briefly (4-5 lines each):

1. Draw the supply chain for Hulu and highlight content acquisition and distribution.  How do companies such as Hulu and Netflix use supply chain to compete strategically?

2. Research on the internet and list some examples of how companies such as Netflix and Hulu are controlling the supply chain of digital content acquisition and distribution.

3. How does TV Everywhere pose a threat to Hulu?  Describe, in your words, how Hulu should respond?

4. The different broadcasters –CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox – have all chosen a different strategy to the internet.  Which strategy is preferred?

5. Comment on how the digital channels put pressure on existing business models for firms in the creative industry (such as TV).

All groups (expect the group making the presentation) are required to submit a printout of their answers to the instructor at the beginning of the class. Also, be prepared to discuss the case in the class.

Extra Credit Assignment

Value: This is an optional, individual extra credit assignment.  It can add up to 5 additional points to the case portion of your grade.

Assignment: In reviewing the literature, the web, your classes, etc. there are many uses of Information Technology (I/T), the internet, etc. that can address important supply chain management issues, opportunities for improvement, etc.

Select one (1) opportunity to use I/T that positively impacts supply chain management and operations that we did not discuss in a class case.  For that opportunity write a 1-2 page white paper that:

• Outlines what the opportunity is to use I/T in Supply Chain Management
  • Describes the Supply Chain Management issue / opportunity / etc.
  • Describes how use of I/T addresses that issue / opportunity
  • Defines the compelling reason a Supply Chain Manager should take advantage of this opportunity

Note: Assume the White Paper is going to be read by busy Supply Chain Managers.   These busy managers (like some professors) are not looking for lots of words and filler – they want to know all the critical facts and ideas presented in a clear, readable and compelling manner.

Due:  April 24th (in-class)

Blockchain: Is this the Next Internet?

Blockchain technology implements the concept behind Bitcoin (and other cryptocurrencies).  ‘A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial organization’  (Satoshi Nakamoto: Bitcoin …. October, 2008)

Frankly, the technology was tough to get my head around.  These videos helped me.

Video The Cake Sharing analogy

Video Cartoon explanation

Video Simplified Lecture explanation

Video Expert explaining technology, What technology economics limit / drive it’s implementation and future potentials.

Questions:

Is this really a technology with potential impact the Internet had?

How would this technology impact Supply Chains?

RFID at Metro Case

Case questions are in this document.

Recommend you download your copy and complete your questions within this document template.

All groups (expect the group making the presentation) are required to submit a printout of their answers to the instructor at the beginning of the class. Also, be prepared to discuss the case in the class.

Due Date:  March 6

Root Beer Game – Round 2 Now Available

I was late in getting the Root Beer game reset.  It’s now reset as you requested (see Single user exception below).  If you requested no change – Round 2 will use same set-up as Round 1.

Single Users: The game requires all the Single users use the same setting.  Since 1 person requested the shorter Shipping time – that is the configuration all Single users will have for Round 2.

If any questions or issues contact me.