Section 004, Instructor: Larry Dignan

Weekly Question #7: Complete by March 26, 2018

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on March 26, 2018. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

Give an example of a KPI – some sort of metric for performance – that you use on a regular basis? Briefly discuss how it conforms to the SMART criteria.

(For example, my car tells me its average gas mileage. This is specific and measurable – gas mileage is a precise measure. It is achievable – I can alter my driving to try to get better mileage. It’s relevant – gas mileage has an impact on my costs! And it’s time-variant, I can look at gas mileage over a week, or a day, or a month.)

31 Responses to Weekly Question #7: Complete by March 26, 2018

• A KPI i use daily would be my steps tracker. it is specific and measurable by the amount of steps i take daily. It is achievable because I am able to track the steps, and set a goal for the number i want to reach by the end of the day. It is relevant to my life because I like to keep up with my health. Lastly it is time-variant because I check my steps on a daily basis.

• A KPI that I have daily access to is an app called “Quality Time” on my phone which tracks data relevant to my phone usage (i.e. usage duration, number of times I unlock my screen, how much time I’m spending on specific apps, how many times I go to an app a day, etc.). With the app, I try to monitor and limit my excessive phone usage as much as possible. I have desired figures that I wish to achieve, it is specific and measurable, It is relevant to my daily life (and frankly, it’s relevant to everyone), and it is time-variant because I am able to track my daily usage, as well as hourly, weekly, monthly, etc.

• Heart beat per minute monitor. Heart beats per minute are specific and they are measurable. It is achievable– I can monitor my fitness and decide to get into better shape to lower my heart rate. It is relevant– my heart rate is a direct correlation to my health and well being. It is time variant- I can look at changes in my heart rate over X amount of time.

• A KPI that I use daily is my step metrics on my Apple watch. It is specific and measurable because it tells me my exact amount of calories burned, time exercised, time standing, and number of steps. It is relevant because activity is an important part of my health. It it achievable because it is based off of my regular activity, and I can change it based on my current lifestyle. It is time-relevant because I can look at how my activity changes over time.

• A KPI that I use all the time is my GPA and It is both specific and measurable because the scale can go up to 4.0 and it measures how well I do in my classes. GPA is achievable because my achievements in class decides my GPA. It is relevant because it is used by the university to show off my progress in classes. Lastly, it is time sensitive because after the due dates of our assignments, our grade changes with each of our final grades that are entered in our gradebook.

• A KPI that I use daily is my internet data on my phone. I’m only allowed to use 2GB per month. This is time-relevant, because I have to keep checking everyday how much data I use and see how much I have left. That way I won’t go over and get charged for a fee.

• A KPI that I use on a daily basis is my sleep analysis which is imported into my health app from an app called “Sleep Cycle” My sleep analysis shows the difference between when I am in bed and when I am asleep to the minute so it is specific and measurable. It is achievable because my body needs to sleep to function and the analysis comes from my alarm clock app that I use anyway. It is relevant because my body requires enough sleep to function during the day at maximum effeciency. It is time relevant because I have been using this app for years and can look at the trends and averages for periods of time such as a week, a month, a year, etc.

• A KPI that I use regularly is the activity tracker rings on my Apple watch. I have to close three rings everyday. One for calories burnt, another for minutes exercised, and another for minutes standing. If I start to slack off, I get notifications with instructions on how to complete my rings for that day. The number of calories is specific and measurable, it is achievable because i can always work out more, it’s relevant because it directly impacts my health, and it’s time-variant because I can view my progress every day, week, or month.

• The KPI I use regularly is an application on my phone that tracks the amount of calories and nutrition I take daily, called My Fitness Pal. This app makes calorie counting convenient and easier for me to stay on a healthy diet. The more I track and long in my meals I found it easier to make healthier choices to reach my goals. It is specific and measurable because it tracks every meal I log in. As I track my meals it ache vices a certain goal that benefits my health, and it is time-variant because I can see my progress at anytime.

• A KPI that is used regularly in my life is my GPA. If my GPA is not where it needs to be, then I will not have access to internships, graduate schools, or credits for classes in Under grad. It is measurable on the 4.0 scale. My GPA is something that I achieve, but the school may also want to achieve overall higher GPA’s so others would want to go to the same school. My GPA is very relevant to my success as a student and it is also time phased based on the amount of semesters I attend school.

• I work at a restaurant and a KPI I use regularly is my total nightly sales. I end up dividing that KPI by both my cash and CC tips to see the average percentage of the amount sold I am getting tipped. This allows me to see how my performance as a server from the perspective of people that I serve. If I have a night where my divided tips are about 15% of what I sold I take that as an indication that my performance was not good on that night; while if my tips exceed 20% of what I sold I take that as an indication that my performance was good that night. This conforms to the SMART criteria because it specifically measures my performance relative to my co-workers to help the restaurant sell as much food and as many drinks as possible. It is achievable because if I do not get tipped a percentage I am happy with I can always learn better ways to upsell or make sure I am catering to my customer’s most pressing needs. It is relevant to success because it directly quantifies how my customer’s perceived my performance. It is time-phased because I can compare one night to another and think about various factors that may have impacted my tips like the busyness of the restaurant, or if I was able to sell one of the more expensive menu items, etc.

• An example of a KPI that I use on a regular basis would be the number of hours I sleep each night. This example matches the SMART criteria because the number of hours I sleep each night is measurable and the amount of sleep I get each night is relevant to my success. It is also time-phased because I am only able to sleep for a certain number of hours in a day.

• A KPI that I use in my daily life is the sleep analysis on my iPhone. My goal is to get 8 hours of sleep 5 nights a week (Sunday night to Thursday night). It is specific because it measures the hours of sleep. It is measurable in hours. It is achievable because 8 hours of sleep a night is possible. It is relevant because the amount of sleep I get effects how efficient I am the following day. And it is time-phased by weekly periods.

• A KPI that I use daily is an app on my phone called LifeSum. This app is used everyday, and with it you can track calorie intake. To use it, you need to input your personal data, meaning your height, weight, body type etc. Then, you tell the app what your goal is (to build muscle, lose weight, etc.) Based on your personal data, the app gives you feedback on what your goal calorie intake should be as well as amount of exercise. This app is very efficient because it allows you to keep track of a goal while going on with your daily life! (time-phased). You can spend less time counting calories and let the app do it’s job.

• A KPI that I use on a daily basis is my GPA tracker. It is specific and measurable because it ranges up to 4.0. I need to work hard to achieve a higher GPA. It is relevant because I need to show my GPA to future employers, and it can help/hurt my chances of receiving a job/internship. Lastly, it is time sensitive because at the end of each semester grades are finalized, and you need to make sure you were on top of everything.

• A KPI that I use every day would be the Activity tracker on my Apple Watch. It tracks my movement, exercise, and stand goals throughout the entire day. It gives me challenges to complete every day and allows me to keep track of my fitness. My health is very important to me and this app allows me to stay in check with my performance each and every day.

• One KPI that I try to use is the customer satisfaction score. When I work at a restaurant as a server, I try to keep up with how much the customers are satisfied with the restaurant’s experience. It is very relevant to what I do. The higher the satisfaction is, the happier I am and the more tips I earn.

• A KPI that I use daily is the sleep tracker I have on my iPhone. It tracks the number of hours I sleep per night and adds it up at the end of the week for me. Therefore it is measurable as well as specific it counts and both tallies up my totals, it is also variant as I can track it over time.Sleeping the optimal amount per night is key to my success if I am to stay alert throughout the day. It gives me the energy I need to make it through the day so I can succeed at what I need to accomplish.

• A KPI I use is the Health App on my IPhone. It lets me know how much sleep I get and tracks my walking + running activity. It is specific – it tells me how many hours I spent in bed and how many steps I made. It is achievable – I can adjust my sleeping schedule to get better quality + more hours of sleep, or I can increase my activity. It is also relevant – I know why I might be feeling a certain way during the day if I know I have not been getting enough sleep lately, or if I have not been active enough. It’s time-variant, as I can look at a daily/monthly/yearly reports.

• A KPI that I use is called Fitbit . This app keeps and records my daily step intake and heart rate. It is measurable and relevant to ones health. I am able to compare progress in dietary and fitness goals so it shows the optimal amount of steps needed to maintain a certain weight or goal of fitness. My health and lifestyle is important so users may be consistent with usage.

• One KPI that I use everyday would be my GPA. This tells me my grades in school and how I am doing. It is measurable because it is a number that is the average of all my grades. Also, it is achievable because I can try to get a better GPA than what I already have. It is relevant because I am a student and need a good GPA to graduate and get a job. Lastly, it is time-variant because I can look and change it over a day, week, month, or semester.

• A KPI that I use is my MIS Professional Achievement Points. It tells me my current points and how much I need to get graduate. This is specific and measurable – the points are measurables. It is achievable – I can participates in more events to earn more points. It’s relevant – the PA points are needed to let me graduate. And it’s time-variant, I can look at PA over months or semesters.

• A KPI that I observe most commonly is number of views/plays online. This metric is used for different types of media like videos, music and blog posts. It is a key measurement for success online. It conforms to SMART criteria. Specific because it relates to online popularity, is Measurable as each play/view gets recorded somewhere, Attainable because it is easy to monitor and record, Reliable because it cannot be altered easily, Timely not so much because it is continuous, but can also be calculated over a relative period of time for that kind of comparison.

• A KPI that I use daily is a health and fitness app that I have on my iPhone, which allows me to track my exercises and my nutrition intake and provides feedback to reach my set goal. There is also a bar code scanner which makes it easier to just get feedback and make adjustments to your daily intake. My health is important to me and this app keeps me informed on the changes I need to make in order to stay healthy.

• A KPI I recently started using is the fitness rings on my smart watch. It tells me the amount of calories I burn, the amount of minutes I exercised, and the amount of minutes I stand.
    Specific & Measurable: it is an exact measure of activity.
    Achievable: I can change the amount of goals I want to reach and it reminds me to achieve them.
    Relevant: The rings determine how active I was and that directly correlates to my overall health.
    Time: I can see all my rings from the past and determine whether I completed the daily goals and I can compare them with friends and family with a smart watch.

• One of my daily tasks at work is to mail out acquisition letters to prospective sellers. I have a quota of 250 letters per work day. At the end of the day I divide the number of letters I sent out by 250 to calculate the percentage of my quota that I was able to achieve. When I mail out 250 letters I am 100%, that is a KPI That I use. The purpose of this KPI is critical in logging my efficiency as well as for the sake of transparency with my boss and co-workers. It is measurable in the sense that it calculates my performance in that specific daily task. I tend to average 250 letters so it is definitely achievable. The KPI itself motivates success because other people have access to the calculation sheet for this daily KPI. It is also time phased because It is recorded over the duration of 1 work day (9-5). If the length of the day is altered then it’s recorded in the footnotes of my calculation sheet.

• A daily KPI I use is the step tracker on my FitBit. Although it clearly has it flaws, as we discussed last week, it affords me the best way to possible to track my “activity” for the day. It is definitely Specific and Measurable; I set a certain number of steps I want to accomplish per day, and the FitBit tracks it and notifies me if/when I reach my goal. I set Achievable goals per day, depending on how much time I make for exercise. The steps per day is very relevant to overall activity and health. Finally, this KPI is tracked over a certain Time, in this case it is my full day. The step tracker is definitely the most relevant, and often used KPI of my daily life.

• A KPI I use on a regular basis is an app I use at my job to record my hours called When I Work. It is specific and measurable; it saves and adds my weekly hours as I input them each day. It is achievable; I can monitor whether I need to work more or less to keep up with my budget and other financial obligations. It’s definitely relevant; I have to record my hours correctly so that I get paid the right amount and get paid on time. And it is time-variant, as I can see how many hours I’ve worked each day, week, month or year.

• Key performance indicators that I find to be interesting are sports statistics. Whether it be rushing/passing/receiving yards in football or points/rebounds/assists in basketball, these statistics are easily available and let you know how your favorite teams and players are performing. Additionally, it allows you to miss a game and still have an indication of how the players and teams performed in that game

• A KPI that I use and see used on a daily basis is a heart monitor and step and distance trackers. It is specific and measurable because it monitors all the steps I take when I take them and the distance I walk and my heart beat during that time. I can check to see if my heart rate goes up depending on how fast I may be walking or the distance I have already walked. It is time variant because I can keep track by days weeks or even months.

• I use hours slept as a KPI. I’ve used the Apple apps for sleep tracking, with limited success. I don’t have the liquid cash laying around to invest in some wearable tech to precisely measure my sleep, but I always try to get 8-9 hours. Not that I always achieve that goal, but getting more sleep is hugely beneficial, and I can feel the results the next day.