Section 004, Instructor: Larry Dignan

Uncategorized

Extra credit assignment due April 16

For one point added to your final grade, here’s what I’m looking for. Read these following two Q&As and give me 100 words on one of them (your choice).

1. Death and data science: How machine learning can improve end-of-life care
  2. A day in the data science life: Salesforce’s Dr. Shrestha Basu Mallick

The 100 words should focus on one of the following:

• What are the challenges with this topic in regards to data science?
  • How do you foresee analytics affecting the fields that are in the interviews (end of life care and sales  to assistance)?
  • What was your biggest takeaways from these two data scientists?

This will be due on April 16 to me before class via email.

Your reading for 11.1, 11.2

A note about that first reading: It’s a bit dated and Hadoop has advanced since that article. Much of the focus in the open source community has been on side projects tied to Hadoop. One common theme is that analytics and better user interfaces are being layered onto Hadoop. Most companies would use Hadoop via companies like Cloudera and Hortonworks. These companies package Hadoop and sell services and support. To see what I mean re Hadoop and its other projects see the primary Apache page. For our purposes, we’ll keep Hadoop high level, but in the data science department, internship interviews etc you may want to know about projects like Hive, Cassandra, Pig and Spark.

Office Hours
Larry Dignan lawrence.dignan@temple.edu Alter Hall 232 267.614.6467 Class time: 5:30-8pm, Mondays Office hours: Monday hour before class, half hour after class or by appointment.