MIS 0855: Data Science Fall 2016

Section 006, Instructor: Shana Pote

Weekly Question #10: Complete by November 30, 2016

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on November 30, 2016. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

Leave a post about your group project:

1. What is the subject of your group project?
  2. Which of your fellow scholars are in your group?

Only one group member has to make the post (only one post per group), but for your other group members to get credit they need to be mentioned in the post.

Reading Quiz #10: Complete by November 28, 2016

Some quick instructions:

• You must complete the quiz by the start of class on November 28, 2016.
  • When you click on the link, you may see a Google sign in screen. Use your AccessNet ID and password to sign in. It will then take you to the quiz.
    If it says you don’t have access, make sure you’re signed out of your regular Gmail (non-TUMail) account!
  • You can only do the quiz once. If you submit multiple times, I’ll only use the first (oldest) one.
  • This is “open book” – you can use the articles to answer the questions – but do not get help from anyone else.

Ready? Take the quiz by clicking this link.

Weekly Question #9: Complete by November 16, 2016

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on November 16, 2016. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

Here is the question:

Think about a data-driven service that you use regularly (i.e., Blackboard, Amazon.com, Facebook). Imagine you want to store the data for that service in a spreadsheet – what would each row in the spreadsheet represent? What would some of the data columns be?

(For example, Yelp.com stores restaurant reviews. A row would be an individual review, and some columns would be the name of the restaurant, the type of food they serve, the address, the star rating, and the name of the reviewer.)

Reading Quiz #9: Complete by November 14, 2016

Some quick instructions:

• You must complete the quiz by the start of class on November 14, 2016.
  • When you click on the link, you may see a Google sign in screen. Use your AccessNet ID and password to sign in. It will then take you to the quiz.
    If it says you don’t have access, make sure you’re signed out of your regular Gmail (non-TUMail) account!
  • You can only do the quiz once. If you submit multiple times, I’ll only use the first (oldest) one.
  • This is “open book” – you can use the articles to answer the questions – but do not get help from anyone else.

Ready? Take the quiz by clicking this link.

Additional Speaker – Gabe Stein, author of “Beating NSA to the Punch by Spying on Myself”

Class,
As mentioned earlier in the semester, the author of one of our readings “I’m Beating the NSA to the Punch by Spying on Myself” has agreed to come speak to Professor Zifla’s class. She has invited our class to attend this Webex session as well, and I encourage you to do so. The invitation for this session is below. Note the date is TODAY (Wednesday, 11/2/16), time is 4:00 pm.
Enjoy!
Professor Pote
———- Forwarded message ———-
Date: Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 6:41 PM
Subject: Fwd: WebEx meeting scheduled: Speaker Session for Data Science: Gabe Stein
To: ermira.zifla@temple.edu

Hi Pr. Zifla,
Tomorrow, Gabe is ready to go for a Speaker Session via Webex! Please FWD this invitation to all of the students and also the other class that was interested in attending. If you need any further help, just let me know!
All the Best,
James

Speaker Session for Data Science: Gabe Stein

*Once you enter the meeting, please mute yourself and use chat to ask questions.

Wednesday, November 2, 2016
4:00 pm  |  Eastern Daylight Time (New York, GMT-04:00)  |  1 hr
Meeting number: 646 384 008
Meeting password: mis0855
Add to Calendar
When it’s time, start your meeting.
Need help? Go to http://help.webex.com.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that this WebEx service allows audio and other information sent during the session to be recorded, which may be discoverable in a legal matter. You should inform all meeting attendees prior to recording if you intend to record the meeting.

James Base
Director of Professional Development, American Marketing Association 
Fox Student Alumni Ambassador
Temple University Fox School of Business
Management Information Systems | Marketing

2nd Guest Speaker and Extra Credit

As discussed on Monday, Oct 31 at the start of class (see Class Capture if you arrived late), we were to have a guest presenter on Wednesday, Nov 2, one of my students from Fall 2015 semester, Logan Peterson. Logan is a 3rd year Marketing student, also pursuing a double minor in Management Information Systems, and Geography and Urban Studies. He was to present on his work with data from his last internship.

Due to a scheduling conflict, Logan will not be able to present in person on Wednesday. However, he presented to my Spring 2016 Data Science class, and we captured his presentation via Class Capture. In lieu of having Logan speak live, you’ll be able to view his recorded session from that Spring session.

Note, the recording can only be accessed via Blackboard, not this community site. This is to protect confidential information shared by Logan about the organization he interned with. (If you recall, this community site is open to the public Internet.) You may view the presentation by logging first into my Blackboard site, and then logging into the Mediasite portal with your AccessNet ID and password. The link is at the bottom of this post.

In addition to viewing Logan’s presentation, I am also offering the opportunity to earn extra credit in conjunction with this video.

Based on the presentation, you may earn extra credit by answering at least 6 of the questions below. Each quality answer (2-3 sentences) is worth ½ a point on your final grade. If you choose to answer all 10 questions, it can add up to 5 points, or around 2 letter steps (e.g. B- to B+) to your final grade for this class. But you must make this worth both our time. You do not need to answer all 10 questions, but you must answer at least 6 questions for me to accept and grade your submission.

1. Give an example of data Logan received to analyze.
  2. Describe how he processed that data into information.
  3. Describe how he used that information to derive a specific insight.
  4. Describe a challenge Logan had with the data he received.
  5. Describe a challenge he had processing the data into information.
  6. Describe a challenge he had extracting insights from that information.
  7. Name a possible bias you observed in Logan’s data set.
  8. At what stage of analysis was that bias introduced?
    • Hypothesis formulation
    • Establishing measurement methodology
    • Data collection
    • Summarizing data
    • Displaying data
    • Analyzing data
    • Interpreting results
  9. How could you correct for the bias?
  10. What was the most surprising thing you learned during Logan’s presentation?

You have until the end of class, 8:50 am on December 9, 2016, to complete this for extra credit. No late submissions will be accepted.

You will submit it to my OwlBox at (MIS0855.1ptopenatj1r90sy@u.box.com) from your Temple account. As usual, save your receipt.

You can access the Class Capture here.

I will have all extra credit submissions graded and uploaded by the last day of class, on December 12.

Professor Pote

Office Hours

Shana Pote (instructor)
By Appointment Only! Email to schedule time between 6-10 pm, M-F, or 9-12 S-S. Office hours will be via Google Hangout, Skype or WebEx
Email shana.pote@temple.edu to set up appointment.

ITA information

Craig Kestecher (ITA)
Office hours/tutoring, by appointment only.
Email: tuf94617@temple.edu