Grades Posted for:
Final Class Grade
Team Project Presentation:
Plan on 15 minutes for the presentation and prototype demonstration
The presentation: 5 parts Follow Design Inquiry Framework
1. what inspired you (good or bad) [What is your BIG IDEA]
2. who are the affected stakeholders [PEOPLE/PERSONA]
3. what are their unmet needs + why are they important [NEEDS AND OPPORTUNITIES]
4. what is your solution [DEMONSTRATE YOUR PROTOTYPE]
5. what resources do you need to create and sustain your solution [THE BUSINESS CASE]
Team Project Deliverable to be turned in
Artifacts to be Delivered: (electronic format and optional hardcopy)
- Project Scope Document
- Process Flow Diagram(s)
- Data Diagrams
- Business Rules
- Prototype Screen Print and JustinMind file
- Presentation PPT
Exam 3 Study Guide
The primary material covered in the Exam will be on the Design aspects of the course with focus on the topic discussions and exercises reviewed in Classes 7 through 11.
While the exam will focus on design aspects of the discussion there will be reference to the analysis tools (process flow, data entities and business rules) found in some of the questions and applied in the case portions of the exam.
A review of chapter 6 in the text book and the class discussion on the analysis tools will also be helpful
- The exam has three sections: (all multiple choice)
–1) 12 question on general knowledge of the above subject areas (mostly on Design Topics)
–2) 12 questions based on a case review which is focused on data elements and there application in a mocked up design solution (Report designs and layouts will be included in the case material)
–3) 16 question on a separate case review which will focused on the identification / evaluation of business rules and their applicability to a developing potential solution.
–To prepare for the question pertaining to the two cases in the exam, review previous case work assignments and practice identifying the key process steps, data elements and business rules that would be pertinent to creating a solution.
–Overall this exam will test you skills in analyzing the information supplied in a case an applying it to a solution
Due on 4/24/2014 are the draft view(s) of the prototype depicting the “Future State” of your team’s solution topic.
The prototype should follow the flow of the scenario view(s) demonstrating the solution’s capability of resolving an identified problem or enabling the sponsor to expand on a new opportunity
You may use the tools in Justinmind to print out the scenario views and screen mock ups.
Due on 6/19/2014 are the Team Project drafts of the persona(s) and scenario view(s) for the “Future State” proposed solution.
Recommended tool to develop the scenario view(s) would be Jusinmind as they can be easily mapped to the prototype screen mockups.
You may also use the tools in Justinmind to print out the scenario views
A template for creating a PowerPoint Persona slide can be found on the web site under the tools and template section
Due on 6/17/2014 is the Team analysis of the “As Is State” for the scope of the identified team topic.
The analysis will define the current state, pertinent to the project, using the tools we discussed and demonstrated in the case assignments.
Deliverable will include: Process Flow(s) – Swim Lane Diagram, Data – Entity Diagram(s) and Business rules/Decision Tree
Deliverables will be due at the end of class on 6/17/2014
Each Project team should submit a hard copy of their project scope document using the template found on the web site which was also used for the individual case assignment.
Please keep an electronic copy of the Scope Document as a it will also be included as part of a final project submission at the and of the semester.
Exam 2 will be taken on June 12, 2014 during the last hour of class
The Exam will primarily focus on the analysis tools outlined and demonstrated in class discussions 4, 5 and 6 and the respective individual case assignments.
Key topic areas covered in the exam will be: Process Flows, (Swim Lane), Data Analysis (Entity Relationship) and Business Rules (Decision Tree).
Chapter 6 in the text book specifically covered the analysis tools with addition backgound information found in chapter 4. Review of the class disucssions posted on the web site and follow up case assignments will serve as good study aids. The Software Requirements Memory Jogger also has examples of the analysis tools and the their components.
Case Solutions can be found on the web site page: Case Assignment Solutions Examples
Mortgage Program Case Study
Due Class 7, June 10, 2014
Read Mortgage Program Case – Business Rules
Use the Business Rule Template
The Deliverables: Using the information provided:
1. Identify the set of business rules that The Home Mortgage Company is using to decide what interest rate and type loan (fixed or variable) to grant to an applicant for a thirty year loan.
2. Draw a Decision Tree of how The Home Mortgage Company should link these business rules to decide what rate and loan type to offer the applicant.
3. Write a list of questions (4 -5) that you want to ask Jack Jones when you go back to him with your draft rules to check if they are correct.
Data Analysis Case: Night Owl Case link
Use the Excel Template Sample to:
- Create a Glossary of terms from the case
- Identify all the data entities that the Night Owl database will need.
- For each entity, identify all of the attributes that must be collected. Include information about each entity’s type, range if any, default value, and special requirements.
- Indicate the relationships between the different entities.
Use the tool of your choice (Google docs, MS Access, Word, or Sketch on Paper) to create an ER or Schema Diagram do demonstrate the releationships