·         Employee satisfaction

·         Employee retention rate

·         Employee education/certification

·

·         COntinious IT training courses

·         Continuous planned IT refreshes

·         Impove knowledge management

Week 1 Wrap-up: Defining IT Governance

I think this case is wonderful as an opener for an IT Governance class.  Why?  Because there is no governance at STARS, at least nothing explicit.  If we use my “Right Things, Done Right” mantra, we can illustrate what I mean.  Khan is inheriting an IT organization that has no identifiable mission or charter.  Senior management doesn’t recognize the critical role that IT could play in its organization.  The implicit charter is probably something like, “Give the business what it needs to get the job done.”  That simply isn’t good enough leadership.  On the “Done Right” side, you all have pointed out the deficiencies of the effort (its not even a real organization). No organizational structure, runaway customers, out-of-control contractors, no technical standards, no project portfolio management etc.  The only good news for Khan is that the only way to go is up!

The key point for this class is to recognize that both things are necessary for true governance.  IT organizations, as a generalization, have tended to focus on the process of doing things extremely well and very efficiently.  This is important but it is only half of the game.  IT leadership and company leadership must work together to ensure that IT is doing the things that provide the most value to the company.  This is a political (small p) process and not one that is comfortable to most IT people.  Hence many CIO’s fail because, while they run good IT shops, they are not focused on, nor especially contributing to, the company’s goals.

Throughout this course and the program, keep the “Right Things, Done Right” model in mind.  Many CISA questions will give you three answers that urgently need doing and one that seems so obvious that it can be assumed and ask you which is MOST important.  Don’t fall for the trap, the one is usually about making sure that the organization is doing the right thing and must come first.

Weekly Posts and Deadlines

I want to go over your weekly activities a second time to make sure there is no confusion.  Each Friday, you will find a post with questions about that week’s readings and case.  Once you have finished the readings you should answer one of the weekly reading questions in a post (please use the correct category) on the class blog before 11:59pm on Wednesday ( you only need to answer one of the reading questions, not all of them.)

Then you should turn you attention to the weekly case or activity.  For cases, use the questions to guide your preparation for that week’s discussion in class.  Occaissionally, we will discuss a week’s case online.  I’ll give you more instructions about how to do that when the time comes to go online.

Finally, once everyone’s readings comments are on the blog, I expect you to read them over and comment on them.  Comments on the readings need to be posted on class blog before 11:59pm on Friday (minimum of 4 comments each week).

Welcome to MIS 5202 Online

Welcome to MIS 5202 Online!  I hope you are as excited to get started as I am.  We will get begin on Tuesday, August 25th when we will go through the structure of the course, what I am expecting from you, and talk about the Stars Ambulance case.  On Friday of each week I will publish a list of readings questions for you to comment on using our class blog.  I am looking for you to write a one or two paragraph comment on one of the questions and then comment on each other’s submissions during the week.

Case questions are there to guide your analysis of the case that we will discuss in class each week.  You can of course discuss the cases online also, but you normally won’t have to.  For this week all you need to do is read the Stars Ambulance case and think about these three questions

• Identify three or four of the most critical challenges facing the new CIO?
  • What is the overall issue facing the new CIO?
  • How would you proceed as the new CIO?

See you all on Tuesday.

Rich

Weekly Topics