Vanessa Marin

Major: BBA MIS
Graduation: August 2020

Student

MIS Badge

Official Professional Achievement badge awarded by the Department of Management Information Systems

Click here to validate the recipient

As a woman working in technology today, I’m happy to have the honor to pass on what I’ve learned to the next generation of girls exploring technology. I recently had the opportunity to volunteer at an event hosted by Techgirlz. There I assisted in teaching middle school-aged girls the database management system of mySQL. I took pleasure in showing them tricks of the trade such as creating tables, manipulating data, and making queries against databases. I was amazed to see the lesson so enthusiastically received and I was in awe at how a complex software like mySQL could be so engaging and interesting to the girls! At the conclusion of that workshop, the girls were so excited to have “created” something from nothing. It’s amazing how fulfilling it was to see them so enthused and ready for the next workshop!

I would like to thank Temple University for introducing me to this wonderful organization and for providing my generation the opportunity to get involved and passionately teach the next generation my passion for technology!

I would also like to thank my employer, DecisivEdge, for giving me the opportunity to take time off to teach these future technology leaders the power of technology and what it can do for their futures. I’m grateful for having them not only let me express our core value, “be passionate”, in the office, but to participate in the community initiatives that I hold so close to my heart.

Myself and fellow Temple student Laura Blaszczyk taking a "selfie" with our amazing girls! I couldn't keep up with how fast these young ladies caught onto to the concepts of mySQL!

Myself and fellow Temple student Laura Blaszczyk taking a “selfie” with our amazing girls! I couldn’t keep up with how fast these young ladies caught on to the concepts of mySQL!