MIS 2101.001 – Adam Alalouf – Fall 2017

87 Responses to

• I thought that this TED talk was very interesting in that it predicts that a lot of people will become obsolete in the workforce because machines will eventually be able to do their jobs better than them. I don’t know that this will have as great as an effect as the video said. That is, I don’t think that the unemployment rate will jump to 50% in a matter of a few years or decades. But, I do think that it is interesting to think about in the distant future.

• I found this TED talk to be both insightful and, even, a little frightening. The idea that within the coming years many jobs will be taken over by machines and robots makes me wonder what the future will look like for coming generations, and whether or not they will be attending college to pursue careers like we are now. Will college even be relevant in the future? While I don’t foresee too many jobs being taken over by AI during our time, our grandchildren may face these realities, and it is a very real possibility that they will not receive the same education that we are receiving now due to a lack of use for it. If you’re not going to get a job in the future, you don’t need to learn the tools that will get you one.

• I thought that TED talk was interesting in an aspect of discussing the idea of different levels of jobs might be replace by technology. As a society we have to mandate on how we approach technology in the job markets and felt that the unemployment won’t jump to a high percentage due to machines rather to lack of skills that jobs are progressing more advancing throughout the years. As society moving forward, we should discuss the impact that technology have in the world in the future.

• I believe that universal basic income (UBI) can be a recipe for disaster because it increases the incentive for “free riders”. With UBI, these people have more incentive to tag along with the hard-workers. However, I believe that it is still too early to think about complete automation and UBI because it is still decades until that framework is fully implemented into society. There are still many aspects of AI and automation that need to be worked out in order to remove human involvement. Within that time frame, other possible improved frameworks will be invented and tested by researchers like Martin Ford.

• I thought that the Ted Talk was interesting and brought up some unique points about future employment rates declining due to developing technology. However, I find it hard to believe that unemployment rate will increase to 50%. Although there is upcoming technology that is taking over jobs, I feel that a vast amount of the population will continuously want human interactions when acting as consumers. I do agree that machines are removing the necessity of employees in certain jobs, but I do not think that technology will advance that quickly where that drastic amount of jobs will be taken away from us.

• I thought that this TED talk was really interesting because I think that the fact that machines are starting to “substitute” humans is true. There are a lot machines that are capable of doing what we can’t do or they do it in a more efficient way.

• I thought that this TED talk was very educational on the subject of change in the job industry. Every single year things change for the better with new technology and new unique jobs. Ford is emphasizing a serious matter that we all should be concentrating on. I do believe that the job industry could take a huge tumble in the next few decades due to more innovative machines. We might think that this type of change won’t matter to our generation but the next generations to come will be dealing with job loss. Having 50% of unemployment is unthinkable but the world will come to that point. It’s truly scary to think about. This TED talk should be heard by everyone who wants to stay employed.

• I though this TED talk was very intriguing. The topic of Artificial intelligence is like a black hole, once you begin discussing it you get sucked into its infinite number of discussion matters. The idea that in the future a lot of the current job markets may be shut down due to AI is frightening. However, like the speaker stated there were many accusations about AI that turned out false, so in a way I am frightened but then again, I am not. The future of what AI could turn out to be is scary if we think about it in a negative perspective, but what if we think about it positively? AI could do so much positively for us and we need to consider that.

• This TED talk explores the idea that companies will soon be overtaken by machines in almost every aspect of operations, putting many people throughout every level within the work force out of a job. Even though a base income would possibly be implemented, I do not foresee this as a positive change for our society. Even though companies are these massive powerhouses that are hard to understand on a conceptual level, they are ran by humans. I believe that humans have compassion and hold certain values which would hinder the unemployment rate before it hit anywhere close to 50%. As a large influencer in societies, the PEOPLE within businesses should recognize their impacts.

• This TED talk was pretty boring to me. Although the information that was being given to the viewer was quite interesting, I thought the presenter was very repetitive and boring. I heard about this topic for the first time last semester in my CIS class and it was interesting to get more insight on it from the TED talk. I find it incredible that machines can do some of the skilled tasks that humans can perform. I also found it mind blowing that there are machines that are learning and not just performing programmed tasks. In my personal opinion, I do think humans are essential for the workforce and economy so I do not think machines will ever dominate the market, at least not any time soon. However, I do agree that machines are posing increased competition in the workforce for humans.

• The TED talk raised some very important and interesting questions about the future. The concept of a universal basic income sounds great in theory just like communism but in practice it’s not as great. Even if there are incentives that enable people to increase their income, I think it would be very difficult to convince people to comply. Also, I don’t think that machines can fully take over jobs because machines can only use algorithms to solve problems and can’t truly think like humans and use or understand things such as emotion. However, I do think making sure there is always a need for humans in the workforce should be a priority in the near future.

• I thought this TED talk had a lot of strong, important and accurate but contradicting points. The point about using careers as incentives for individuals to gain an education struck me the most. Obviously, its a known fact that the more education you have, the better job and better pay rate you’ll have. Well at least thats how its suppose to be. Recently, in my current work place, I’ve witnessed the exact opposite. I’ve learned that a lot of the times it’s not what you know but who you know. Its sad to see that someone with a high school diploma and 1 year business certificate could ever be superior to someone with a 4 year bachelors degree and masters degree. Sometimes, success is based off of who you know. It happens more times than not.

• I originally went to college to pursue a medical career. It was pretty early when I realized that they were inventing technology that would make the medical field, and a lot of other jobs, obsolete. I think that this TedTalk poses a real solution to a real problem. People will become obsolete as computers and technology continues to advance. Those that resist the change are going to be the ones that are left behind. I think the implementation of a basic income with incentives is a good idea because it encourages people to do better. Yes, there is always going to be people that might take advantage of this system, but that shouldn’t stop the process.

• I thought the TED talk addressed some strong points, however some were hard to believe. I found the comparison between humans and horses to be interesting. I never really considered how during the 1900s, horses became increasingly unnecessary. The difference in the population of horses between the two time periods was very large. However, I am not sure that I agree that humans will be as easily replaceable as horses. I do, however, believe that with the advancement artificial intelligence comes a great loss of jobs. AI will develop into certain areas where human work will no longer be required, and will thus be replaced. Even so, I do not believe that within a couple of decades, the unemployment rate will rise to 50%. This is not just something I see happening realistically in such a short amount of time because of AI.

• I am impressed by the concept bought out by Martin Ford about how our future is dominated by robotics and artificial intelligence. I was threatening to hear that majority of us will lose our job in the future but I was then calm when the idea of how we can earn our income without a job(universal basic income) was bought out by Martin. I agree with Martin that he said as technology growing fast, human have to think, learn and adapt machines for the purpose of learning new things,stay ahead and finding new ways to participate in the economy. I found the idea of machine will become cart-pullers and gives human an opportunity to rethink the systems interesting and fascinating. I is undoubtedly the our future.

• Overall, I found this TED talk very intriguing and thought-provoking. It is interesting to me that Martin Ford thinks that many jobs, as much as 50%, are going to be replaced with artificial intelligence. This seems very abstract to me, and it is difficult to wrap my head around it. Although we have begun to see artificial intelligence take over certain aspects of life, such as self-driving cars and smart bots like Alexa and Siri, I find it very unlikely that it will fully takeover in our lifetime. Personally, I like interacting with humans, and would rather be serviced by an individual than a robot. It makes me nervous to think that my future career may one day become obsolete due to technology completely taking over.

• This TED talk addressed quite a few issues for the future. Will automation take over? Yes, and it is currently being utilized more every day. However, not every company will be able to afford such automation. However, the idea of universal basic income is a recipe for disaster. The same demands and issues with minimum wage will affect universal basic income. Couple that with the regulation of such an income at the discretion of governmental entities. What will happen is that large companies will be able to take advantage of AI and the technology that goes with it, however, smaller companies will most likely have to continue to rely on a human-based workforce. The idea of giving a populace “free money” will diminish competition, innovation, and a society that is driven to be productive. Eventually, this will lead to the same issues we are currently facing with welfare, unemployment, etc. An alternative would be paying individuals for pursuing higher education or driving innovation and entrepreneurship.

• This TED talk was very interesting in my opinion. It raised many fundamental issues about how technology could take over in the future. We are at the point in today’s society that people like having things done for them instantly rather than having to wait and this is something that all this technology can do for us. However, I do not think that we are really that close to this happening. Although artificial intelligence is on the come up, I think people will not buy the idea for a very long time. I also think that people will prefer to deal with a person rather than a robot of some sort. It is interesting to think about but I think that this will not happen for a least a couple decades. I also believe that only big companies will be able to fund the artificial intelligence field, meaning that only half of jobs will be able to have artificial intelligence. There are many small company jobs that need people to work them and not be monitored by technology.

• I found this TED Talk to be very intriguing. It raised many important questions about the future of technology and how technology will impact the job market in years to come. The idea that 50% of jobs will be replaced with artificial intelligence is an astronomical change in the employment rate. While using machines to do human jobs is very appealing because it can reduce costs and increase efficiency, there are certainly aspects of artificial intelligence to be wary about. For one, the job market would become a serious concern. A society in which 50% of people don’t have a job is very problematic one. Also, I think that many people prefer to have social interactions when they consume items, and obviously using machines would take away that aspect. Overall I think this TED Talk was very interesting and makes you think critically about the future of techology in our society.

• I think that this TED talk was not only very interesting but extremely worrisome as well. I agree that technology is taking over many jobs in the world which is effecting the employment rate and many peoples lives. He made a good point in the example of the horses, back before cars were around that was our way of getting to place to place and since the spike of car manufactures the amount of horses decreased astronomically. I do believe that technology will take over many jobs in the future but I disagree that unemployment rate will increase to 50% because I feel as if we get to a point where this becomes a problem then the government will come in and make laws and regulations to make sure AI does not take over the workforce leaving millions of people unemployed. Also, to afford these technologies are not going to be cheap at all, I believe that workers are a cheaper expense for businesses then new advanced technology. I really liked this video because it is giving notice to a problem some people already face and that many people will face in the near future.

• I enjoyed this TED Talk but did not fully agree with all of Ford’s speaking points. I know computers will quickly begin taking jobs at places such as McDonalds and various grocery stores, but I do not agree with the higher positions being phased over as quickly. Computers lack the human approach a company needs to run efficiently, while an idea might be good on paper, will the computer look at how this could affect others or just the ideals of the business? Also, the universal basic income, while it will become necessary in the future, there must be higher incentives than education and “helping the community.”

• I thought that Ford’s discussion of the future implications of AI was interesting and insightful, but I think he should have focused more on those implications rather than the solution to those, which introduced his political opinions and may have taken away from his presentation. It is a scary thought to think that entire industries will become automated, which would increase unemployment; however, as Ford mentioned himself, this has already happened in the past, but new and better jobs were created as the outcome of such change. I don’t see why such a phenomenon won’t happen again with the increased influence of automation and AI. Machines may be able to take over jobs, but I don’t think they are able to run an entire society.

• I thought this TED Talk was very informative and discussed an ever present issue that our society should actively be discussing, because our economy and source of income could be jeopardized in the next few decades, or some time in the next 100 years. The speakers proposal on an basic income, to provide for the standard living equally, across the predicted 50% unemployment rate that may occur was a new idea that I have never thought about before. I am not too sure about the affectability that the basic income structure would have, if such a job loss occurred across the United States, and the world as a whole. I do agree with all the realistic possibilities suggested that Ai, and other cognitive robots could take a substantial role in our businesses and economy, but I do not agree with the projected impact they will cause. This issue is important and should be a topic we all think about, but I am not too sure how the public at large will accept this idea and the magnitude the impact may have in the future.

• I thought this TED talk was interesting. It’s not really a new concept to be hearing, we’ve all heard before that technological improvements are going to keep happening and one day they’re going to replace humans, but it was interesting to see the stats behind this idea and the timeline to see how rapidly this could be happening. I do agree and believe that as time goes on, more technology will replace a large amount of jobs and people as Ford said. However I feel there will always be a small percentage of the population that will want to keep human connections apart of everyday life and a small percentage of human workers in certain types of employment positions. Human connection will always be needed to run a successful society.

• This TED Talk was intriguing and mentioned many important issues that we will face in the future, about how information technology is different this time around, than it was in the past, by being exponential and having decision making functions. Artificial Intelligence and automation are undoubtedly the future, and will lead to a decline in both blue and white collar jobs. However, I do not think that it AI will create so much unemployment to where it becomes necessary to offer a universal basic income. I also believe that people find their passion through their work, and through their experiences during their working ages. People like to work hard to achieve goals and make a difference. With UBI, hard work and drive become obsolete.

• This TED Talk was interesting and elaborated on some of the issues associated with automating business. However, I am not convinced that there is a tipping point where humans are pushed to 50% unemployment. This is ignoring the basic economic concept of structural unemployment. That is to say, when the typewriter was made obsolete from the computer, jobs were created in web development as opposed to print. When manufacturing robots replaced humans in factories, jobs opened up to repair these machines. This constant shift of opportunity I think will keep humans in the line of employment. No matter what, there is no way we can ever build a perfect machine that constantly repairs itself with little to no maintenance. There is no need for basic income, just a need for access of education in changing industries.

• The TED talk was really interesting and it made me realize the world and employment could be very different in the near future. While Martin Ford made some suggestions, such as a basic income, on how humans will be able to make money when machines take over most of our jobs I do not believe that will suffice. Society would run into chaos because people will always be demanding more money. I also believe that putting a human face on business processes makes people more comfortable than if a machine was running everything. I really hope people rather then machines dominate the work force.

• I thought that this Ted Talk was very interesting and relevant regarding the future approach of how to do business, which will have a strong impact about future employment rates declining due to developing of technology. Another point I believe was really interesting was the differentiation he made between the “old machine revolution” and this one that we are facing now. It is not only a matters of substitution of men work force but also a development of an artificial thinking, that potentially could be even more efficient than human thinking. However, even though it seemed a little frightening the possibility of machines taking human jobs, I do believe that this could work in our favor if we manage to implement some kind of “pre-contingency plan” to maintain, if not peoples’ jobs, but their buying power and dignity.

• I found this TED talk interesting because I had never thought about the fact that technology actually takes away jobs the more it advances. It also makes me think about how far are we can go before humans too, become replaceable. Thinking of how the unemployment rate is projected to rise to 50% is mind boggling and hard to come to terms with because what will people do once we reach that point? How far are we going to go before AI is capable of doing all jobs? Additionally, I think it is important to consider if AI were to become corrupt, what would we do then?

• This Ted Talk was interesting, and it was also able to open my eyes up to the fact that AI is advancing quickly and can easily replace humans in jobs. Artificial Intelligence has the capability to replace a large portion of current jobs, which would cause unemployment to increase drastically. However, as he said, there are certain jobs that cannot be replaced by a machine. Machines can replace jobs which have mundane tasks, but they cannot replace jobs that require people skills and human thought. Still, artificial intelligence can take away a lot of jobs from less skilled workers, which is cause for concern.

• I found this TED Talk very interesting because it made me become more aware of how technology could one day take over the world. I believe that our society has become so obsessed with having the most advanced, and most intelligent technology out there that we often forget how scary our world could become if we lose more and more human interaction. This thought makes me fear for the younger generations that will know nothing other than technology. I found it really interesting when Ford commented on having incentive-based work places. I am curious how this would change employment statistics, and it would be interesting to see how “qualified” you have to be for certain jobs. This TED Talk really opened my eyes in regards to my future, and how different my life could be in the workforce compared to my parents.

• This TED talk was interesting, but not exactly surprising. Though it is true that artificial intelligence is closer than it has ever been to becoming a part of our daily lives I do not believe it will take over the jobs of the future like many people think. Artificial intelligence will definitely be useful in certain aspects such as cars, human assistance, and even things such as fast food restaurants. I am not worried about this because more complex and skilled jobs or trades require relationships with customers and robots cannot provide the relationship needed to provide quality service.

• The Ted Talk was very relatable to an assignment I had in my Business Communications class just about two weeks ago. We listened to a podcast on Marketplace called Robot Proof Jobs, in which this small team of researchers quantified how “Robot Proof” jobs really are. They figured out a scale and have a large graph of percentages of how “automatable” a job is. For example, a tree trimmer is 5% automatable while a waiter or waitress in 77% automatable. Martin Ford said that 50% of jobs will be taken over by machines in the future and comparing that with the information from the podcast, I believe it. Algorithms and artificial intelligence are becoming very prevalent and we as a society have to come to terms with the fact that our jobs are not safe. We really need to take a reality check and consider the possibility of a new system like a basic income. It is definitely something we should be talking about acknowledging rather than ignoring and pretending like we are not going to be out of jobs in a couple years.

• I think this Ted Talk is very interesting and meaningful because he offers a new way to change labor force. If we use Artificial Intelligence to replace human’s position. On the one hand, the working efficiency may be increased because Artificial Intelligence will make fewer mistakes than lots of people. On the other hand, the number of unemployees will increase because some people can not find jobs because companies need to pay more for employees. However, although Artificial Intelligence brings lots of benefits, human occupy a dominant position in our world. People need to communicate with others by themselves, then, all of us will keep good relationships. We should not rely on AI and we should meet challenges to win better development.

• I felt that this Ted Talk was very eye opening for me. For machines to take over some of the jobs that are being done by humans is a very impressive and effective way to get work done. Although this will be a great investment for many companies, it will but a lot of people in the unemployed category, and it is predicted that the unemployment rate will rise 50%! I cannot help but think that my job in the future may be replaced by a robotic machine. I brought this up in my internship today and employees were talking about how these machines are soon to come and that a bachelors degree may not be enough in the future years.

• I thought this Ted Talk was quite interesting because Ford presents an ideal that is going to be integrated into our lives in the future, yet no one is realizing it or taking initiative on the topic. He discusses a labor force revolving around artificial intelligence and this thought had never crossed my mind prior, but as technology advances and our society becomes more heavily reliant on it, it is probable to see a world where artificial intelligence runs the workforce. I believe that artificial intelligence could increase the accuracy and efficiency of the labor force which is a huge pro, but on the other hand it could put people out of jobs which will be a huge economic issue for our society.

• I found this TED talk very interesting because I never thought about the way technology could completely take over so many jobs. It put things into perspective for me and opened my eyes to the fact that technology is advancing quickly and can easily replace human jobs before our eyes. Soon enough, machines will replace the most basic of human tasks and jobs. Machines can replace the simple jobs to reduce errors but I believe that they can’t replace the jobs that require human thoughts and feelings. I enjoyed this video because it opened my eyes and taught me more about something I hadn’t thought about in detail.

• I found this TED Talk to be extremely informative and interesting. The speaker presented such seemingly radical ideas in such a composed and comprehensible manner. He first addressed the constant calls for socioeconomic upheaval, a result of the constant increase in the use of smart technology and automation, that have been presented for the last 50 years (starting with Lyndon B. Johnson). While his assertion that these warnings would now be ignored, he did imply that the unemployed population is only going to grow. Surprisingly, that was not all the speaker had to say on the topic – as he went on to recommend a universal basic income. This idea has merits, but presents its own fair share of issues. While unemployment may rise, our main goal at this point needs to be finding and developing the next wave of human leaders. The universal basic income is a stellar idea, but that doesn’t solve the problem of an under-prepared and under-educated workforce, although it will buy us a valuable commodity – time.

• I found this Ted Talk very interesting because it discusses a problem that will affect all of us but is not talked about enough. When machines become better at our jobs than we are what will we do to make a living? Technology will destroy some industries but make way for other ones that will employ people. I found the example of the computer playing the game of Go very interesting because, as the speaker explains, there is an infinite number of configurations of the game. It is a very intuitive game and a computer was able to win at it. The fact that computers can now make decisions means that they will soon be able to take over jobs that we never imagined they could do. Already computers are being used in major surgeries which is a feat that 30 years ago no one would have imagined we could achieve. But, with the use of these computers, there is going to have to be someone to fix any issues that occur or to make the computers in the first place and that will create more jobs for people.

• This TedTalk was certainly very intriguing and provoked a lot of interesting thoughts and debates. It is true that we live in a world driven by technology and those who create it. The concept of Artificial Intelligence is no longer some far off occurrence, but is instead an effort that will manifest itself sooner rather than later. Despite the magnitude and grandeur of such innovations, one must stop to consider the aftermath resulting from heavier integration of machine and technological tools in the place of human beings. Perhaps I’m a technological cynic. I personally believe that although machines can often times streamline a process and increase efficiency, there is no true replacement for experience and expertise. Yes, there can be an element of human error when things are done with our own two hands, but I do not think enough people are stopping to realize that technology is subject to failure as well. It doesn’t matter how “smart” a technology is or how much it can “learn” during its time in use if something in its mechanics goes awry. Furthermore, the idea of the unemployment rate approaching, or even exceeding, the 50% mark is horrifying. There really is no simple answer when it comes to the balance of technology and humanity in everyday. However, I believe that it would benefit all of humanity to take step back, take a deep breath, and consider the consequences, both good and bad, of our actions before we decide to charge blindly forward.

• I thought that this TED Talk brought up an extremely important topic that often gets overlooked. We know that technology is very useful but I feel that oftentimes we forget its true ability. I enjoyed the comparison of workers to horses because it really shows that with time and innovation of technology, things can drastically change. The speaker makes a point that we are smarter than horses and are always trying to find new things to keep us occupied, but I think that if technology continues to drastically improve (which it will) we, as people, will definitely experience something similar. I know that new jobs will continue to open up, but what will people with lower-level skills do for a living? Toward the end of the video, I also like the speaker’s suggestion for a universal basic income that will offer incentives. I like the idea that people who work harder will get rewarded for what they do. In the end though, I think we need to find a good balance between using technology to carry out everyday tasks while still keeping some types of jobs reserved for humans (jobs that might require human interaction/human emotion to be found most useful).

• I thought this TED Talk was very interesting. Martin ford thinks that our unemployment rate will increase to 50% because of technologies. In fact, in my opinion, though machines can be constantly learning and have excellent skills, they can’t completely replace all jobs. A society has 50% unemployment rate, which means that it is not a normal society. There are some humans’ activities which can be called society. Human is one of the important role in society. Machine or robot are only substitutes for what we think. However, we have to admit that there has been competition in terms of human and intelligence. We should consider sentences of Martin Ford to figure out how to balance human and technology in the future.

• This TED Talk forced me to really think about a future where artificial intelligence is just a normal thing. Although I did find it interesting, I also found it almost shocking and slightly frightening. The thought that artificial intelligence could one day take over certain jobs, makes me wonder what else the world could become far in the future. Technology is a very important aspect in society today but I feel like we are just starting to scratch the surface of what technology can truly do in the near future. It is scary thinking that artificial intelligence could take almost 50% of the jobs we have today making the unemployment rate really shoot up, but it also is pretty cool to think that we are advancing so much technology wise.

• This TED Talk was really interesting, and insightful because it is relevant to us and today. We are at a point in time were technology is growing and becoming more prominent of our everyday lives. There is no telling what it will be like in ten years, exactly. However, many believe that robots will replace us , and many of us will be jobless. This talk also focused on the idea of a fixed direct income theory, which ideally sounds nice; however, it is not realistic. That idea is to perfect, and humans are too greedy. Structure and hierarchy was not placed in society just cause, we made it that way and it will always be that way. Which means that the problem to me does not fully lie within the growing race of technology and economics, but human civilization as a whole.

• In this TED talk Martin Ford makes the case for separating income from traditional work and instituting a universal basic income. He also mentions that machines that can think, learn and adapt are coming and will basically take over human jobs leaving us humans with significant unemployment. I agree that machines could be taking over jobs in a lot of fields but I don’t think technology will advance as fast that it would lead us to significant unemployment in the near future. However, there will be a time when the society will face this problem, so they should innovate technology keeping this in mind so that the unemployment rate doesn’t fall too low, leading to poverty.

• The TED talk was very interesting. The topic of discussion was a good one seeing that we face dealing with this sometime in the future. To me it’s better to educate people early on so there’s preparation for the worst and if the worst doesn’t come at least we are prepared. There’s no way to avoid AI we’re an involving society so it’s only natural we find ways to things more efficient.

• I thought that the Ted Talk was very interesting due to the idea of how we will live when robots have the opportunity to take up a big chunk of the workforce. Although this scenario seems possible, I find it hard to believe that the government will allow unemployment to rise to that sort of degree. Along with this, I thought the Ted Talk was a little concerning to me considering I would like to go into the financial services industry. The idea that robots will be able to uncover stocks to buy and investment strategy to use for people is scary for me.

• Overall, I thought Martin Ford’s TED talk about artificial intelligence was very interesting. I thought it was pretty bold, rather troubling, to hear Ford suggest that the unemployment rate can potentially reach 50% in the future. Although artificial intelligence may pose more efficient and cost-effective opportunities, it’s impractical to think unemployment will increase that dramatically. I think Ford needs to better understand that replacing humans with technology will eliminate an integral piece of successful business operations like the human/personal interaction aspect. With new technological innovations on the rise, such as self-driving cars, this approximation may soon become a reality.

• This TED Talk was intriguing and thought provoking to say the least. Artificial intelligence and machine learning is evolving on a consistent basis, it very well could threaten the jobs of many people. The idea that 50% of the jobs we have today will be taken over by technology is staggering. It is already starting to happen and one of the big culprits behind this is Amazon. Amazon’s cutthroat e-commerce strategy has been putting brick and mortar stores across the country out of business. These brick and mortar stores simply cannot compete with Amazon’s pricing coupled with the convenience of shopping online. Amazon has taken human interaction out of the shopping experience. When you place an order on Amazon there is no human interaction involved. Whereas, in a retail store there are several people involved when purchasing a product. As Amazon continues to dominate brick and mortar retail employees across the country are being put out of a job by the technology and AI at Amazon.

• Martin Ford’s TED talk about artificial intelligence opened up my eyes to the power of AI. I didn’t realize that technology was becoming so powerful. I think the most surprising thing was that like most people, I thought there were certain jobs that were safe like lawyers and financial analysts. It scares me to think that a robot could represent someone in court. I feel like some of these jobs require a personal touch and I’m not sure a robot could ever provide that. Martin Ford sure seems to think it’s possible though so i guess we will see. I am excited to see what the future in AI holds.

• This TED talk brings up understandable but undeniable aspects about the influence of technology in our job future. I think it is foreseeable how automated processes will take over a lot of manual labor jobs in the future, however I believe this will simply focus our shift onto higher-paying back end jobs where people will be paid more for less physical labor. Hopefully this idea will also shift over into third world countries such as Botswana where child laborers are used for tasks such as mining cobalt, which is bad for their health.

• This TED talk brings up a very interesting and serious topic, that machines one day will over take jobs for people and make people obsolete and it is a very concerning topic. He gave a example of how horse was once used to very commonly by humans for transportation but we progressed and found better solutions, which turned out to become man made vehicles and it made riding horses a thing of the past. His main argument was about AI and how capable it is with its advancements to grow in intelligence, i believe AI has the power to become the future for technology and for jobs due to the fact that it is already highly adopted to many applications and technology that we use in our daily lives, Amazon has already incorporated it into its app and it has revolutionized the shopping experience for its customers and even Apple and goggles including AI to the iphones and smartphones, soon it will be the center of our daily experience as a hold.

• What stuck out to me was the point that Martin made about how jobs have adapted to fit the evolution of mankind. He mentioned that people have been scared about machines taking jobs at least 200 years, but still it hasn’t happened yet. Now I know it’s not possible, and arguably harder to predict the future than ever before, but I think this cycle will continue. I believe machines will end up taking jobs, but new jobs will being created in place of the old ones as new opportunities open up. So essentially, we will keep the same historic unemployment rates. I will say that the future is very exciting and also scary since we don’t know exactly how it’s going to pan out.

• I thought this TED Talk was very interesting. In a world of increasingly fast and efficient technology, it’s no surprise that technology and machines will replace humans at some point. However, I don’t think it will be as soon as Martin Ford suggested in his talk, but I do think it’s important for us to start thinking now about the impacts of jobs being replaced with technology.

• The Ted Talk made me think twice about my major in MIS and business in general. Employment in the field of one’s study is the goal for many college students, but many students value a long-term career even more. This Ted talk sparked the question of how long careers will last if technology is learning more efficiently than people? Although it is important to think about the risks that accompany learning technology, I don’t think it will conquer higher positions within a business because technology lacks the creativity, empathy, and innovative qualities that humans bring to business.

• According to this Ted Talk, I don’t think people are just afraid of machine learning and AI taking their jobs. I think it’s more about wether we as a country (and others) are actually prepared for AI to take over. In fact, life would be even HARDER for people who have to rely on creativity. Don’t get me wrong though creativity is a good thing however, when more people adapt themselves to more things like music, art and entertainment the amount of competition would greatly increase and become harder for people to make a decent living as those things already don’t pay a lot depending on wether you’re successful or not. Human job variety will eventually squeeze and form a tight pressure in people’s choice of work. On top that, our education does not emphasize students to use creativity. Instead students are told what to do and how to do it

• This is an interesting TED talk because it discusses how people will become obsolete in the work force. It predicts that machines will take over all basic jobs. I believe that when jobs are lost to machines, that will open more jobs in taking care of the machines.

• In my opinion I thought the TED talk was interesting to say the least. The concept of universal basic income is an interesting idea, but I do not think it will succeed in real life, even with all the incentives Martin talked about implementing along side with universal basic income. Also, its crazy to fathom how the world will be if unemployment rates do rise to a staggering 50%. However, I do not think this will happen, as the government will have to interfere at some point in order to either prevent such high unemployment rates or create laws and regulations to compensate for the lost jobs that have been designated to machines.

• I thought that this was one of the more interesting TED Talks we’ve had all year. The idea that one day humans will be driven out of the workforce by technology is scary but definitely possible. While I agree that it is possible for machines to drive out humans, I don’t agree that there will or should be a universal income for all humans. However, if the government would decide that universal income is needed, I agree with the speaker that it should be based on the education of the person. I feel that none of this will need to happen for a long time.

• From my point of view, this Ted Talk is interesting. The reason behind is because of developed technology in the future, the employment rate will decrease. But, according to the speaker, he said the percentage of unemployment rate will go up about 50%, it’s quite hard to believe. Although with the improved technology, there are jobs that are still required to manage by humans. I agree that we can set up for machines to solve some fixed problems, but when it comes to an unexpected situation, humans will be the only who can solve it. But, it’s good to know how developing technology really is throughout this Ted Talk.

• I found the topic of this Ted Talk to be not all that surprising but 50% potential unemployment rate definitely caught my attention. Personally I thought this presentation was a bit dry compared to other Ted Talks but regardless, a lot of concerns were raised about the future of the workforce. I think it was interesting how he pointed out that there needs to be a market for individuals in order to use their talents to provide growth and used Steve Jobs on a deserted island as an example.

• The TED talk featuring Martin Ford gave me some powerful insight into the extreme impact AI will have on our society. Obviously, it was very alarming when Ford mentioned the statistic about how 50% of employed workers could lose their job to AI. I believe AI could be beneficial to how our society develops, but there are many occupations where actual human beings are preferred and just their presence is a tradition. Also, even though AI is expected to provide extreme company efficiency and profits, I highly doubt the 50% statistic will ever become reality. But, I guess it will be in the hands of the wealthy population and AI researchers and developers.

• I thought that the Ted Talk today was very interesting. Technology and the world, in general, is changing fast. Although things are moving fast, I do think that we always end up catching up to advances that keep happening in the world. For example if half of our workforce ends up being taken over by machines we would definitely struggle at first but, soon enough there would be something new being created that we need people to work on instead. Hopefully, this will only lead to opening up new opportunities for the world and help us to keep advancing in a positive way.

• I thought this ted talk was very interesting. I always thought about how cool AI would be when it becomes an everyday occurrence, but i never thought about it consuming all of our jobs. With this being said, I do not agree with everything the speaker had to say. I don’t think that AI will consume 50% of the jobs in the country. There are definitely some things that AI could take over, but most jobs require that human interference and tacit knowledge that AI can’t bring. Also, I don’t like the idea of a fixed salary for everyone. I don’t think that would work at all.

• This TED talk was extremely interesting to me. As an accounting major and someone who is considering continuing my education in law school, I found this talk applicable to my own life. I understand that this is something that might not immediately affect me I do think it might play a roll in my future. I certainly see why a company would take advantage of this asset to make as much money as possible. Using artificial intelligence will be very cost efficient because the company won’t have to constantly pay their employees salaries to be comfortable. I think these machines are already available and sometime in the future, we will see their effects on our lives.

• Although I do believe the idea in the TED talk that many people’s jobs might become obsolete in the future because Artificial Intelligence is simply the better option, I do think that it is the distant future that we are talking about. However, I think it is fascinating to be thinking of how the world of future generations might be so different compares to ours of today. Would it be a better or worse reality? Only time can tell. Maybe it means that we have more times to do other things that just working, maybe it simply is the same concept of unemployment we have today and other social problems that come along. Either way, I still think that 50% unemployment rate is a unrealistically high number and would probably never happen because governments will find away to create jobs once we reach the time of dominant use of AI.

• The TED Talk featuring Martin Ford today was really interesting to be honest. I have broadened my mind about the effects that AI will have on society after watching this video. I believe that technology is changing and developing extremely fast everyday, but still, the prediction that 50% of employed workers could lose their job shocked me. I agree that AI could bring benefits and efficiency to the company a lot more than human do. However, I think machine shouldn’t take place of human completely at the same time. If it happens, I hope that government will be able to prevent such a huge unemployment rate.

• I thought this TED Talk is very interesting. At first, I don’t support using a universal basic income to instituting separating income from traditional work. Income will motivate people to work hard. Life needs challenge and passion. Basic education can be popularized, but higher education can not be popularized. Today, we already have social welfare for people who are not get lowest wage. And, if government support universal basic income, what is the difference between this and socialism? So, I don’t support using a universal basic income to instituting separating income from traditional work.

Agriculture, manufacture industry and service industries are the three pillar industries of a country. A highly developed society is centered on the service industry. so, i support that technology will replace a lot of labor. But I think this happens mainly in agriculture and manufacturing. The service industry still needs a lot of humanity. For example, business. I support Martin’s opinion that build an economic system that everyone can work for is a big challenge. Because people need time to adapt new highly developed society.

• I thought the Ted Talk on technology replacing jobs was very interesting as it gave a unique perspective to something that we commonly overlook and brought attention to a topic that clearly needs to be focused on more. The points about autonomous and AI workers being less expensive, more productive, quicker, etc., are all very relevant in today’s society. The speaker’s analogy about horses and people was very thought provoking in that if we continue to develop more and more advanced technology, we will eventually render ourselves obsolete.

• I think some points of this TED talk are interesting for me. I do believe that with the developing technology, the machines will be able to replace humans to do some jobs in the future. However, I do not think that the machines will be better than humans in many cases. Moreover, it is surprising that the unemployment rate will increase to 50%. It is hard to become true and believe because job is unlimited and even when machines can take some of the humans’ jobs, we still can create more jobs.

• I found this TED Talk incredibly interesting. I was a bit skeptical of the idea of basic income until Mr. Ford elaborated on the idea. The concept became more realistic when he explained that income would be based on an individual’s level of completed education. A future in which technology takes away a majority of jobs from individuals is both plausible and frightening. This video sparked my interest, and I look forward to thinking about this idea in greater depth.

• AI has come along way, sure Siri and Alexa do make our lives a little bit better. Yet, they do not have the inner oddities of being human. Sure HAL could guide a crew into space, but when he turned on his creators, the really smart people who mastered the art of recreating life into machine form. The Economy cycles, we are due for another economic type of recession. That being said Jobs are constantly changing with the economies, no amount of AI can replace people during high and low times. People do not understand that machines just make our lives easier than to replace them. I throughly believe that jobs are moderately secured from stolen by AI and AI will only make human workers work better and hire more people.

• I agree with the TED talk regarding diminishing jobs in the future due to technological advancements in various fields. However, I do believe that even with technological advancements that there will always be positions that only living human beings can fulfill. AI will certainly change living conditions for the world around us but I am optimistic that they will not acquire all available jobs on the market.

• I found this TED talk very interesting because this is a topic that has been on my mind a lot recently. With growing technologies, I often wondered what occupations would be left for humans to do, and whether or not there will be any employment way into the future that doesn’t involve designing these systems. Although technology is very efficient, it is also unreliable and is unable to empathize with humans. Although activities like shopping can be rather frustrating, I sometimes prefer in store shopping as opposed to online shopping because I enjoy the human interaction and assistance. I highly doubt a robot could tell me whether or not I look good in a pair of jeans. While technology can replace most jobs, it may not be efficient to replace certain ones.

• I thought this ted talk was interesting and it was hard for me to believed in his ideas. I think it is a great idea for society to be in a position where we would not have to work as much and be on a fixed income, but i doubt it would happen. Even if it did, i doubt that the fixed income would be reasonable. I don’t think we live in a society that is designed for technologies to be so advanced due to the amount of natural resources we are using. I think that its going to cause the earth to crash in some form. In addition to that, I don’t like the idea of technology taking control over so much of our lives. It’s not natural and i couldn’t agree.

• Martin Ford’s TED Talk provided many interesting ideas to mull over for a long time. The vast impact that technology will make on not only the economy, but all facets of life is one to take into consideration. It is a terrifying thought to think of the possibility that half of all jobs we have today will be replaced by technology. Ford details the constant evolution and growth of machine learning and artificial intelligence as a force that will take over every part of our lives. Artificial Intelligence workers decrease costs and increase productivity, rendering human employees obsolete. I believe that this is an issue that more people need to have present in their chain of thought. Although it is concerning that technology can make humans useless, I think that with the proper regulations put into place we can prevent the undermining of humanity.

• Martin Ford’s TED Talk on earning money in a society with AI had many compelling points. I enjoyed his way of going over how the next wave of technology will not be like previous waves, such as horses to cars. After he finished speaking on this and moved on to basic income I became less compelled. The idea of basic income to me is a sort of communism-capitalist hybrid. It is not a good solution to the problem that may occur, but it is interesting that he brought that up.

• I found this TED Talk to be quite insightful into the many possibilities of change that could happen in our society with the intention of just one technological advancement. I thought it was insightful to compare it to how we should be more worried about this trend with the comparison to how horses became obsolete with the invention of cars. I personally do not believe that we will lose all of the expected jobs that Martin mentioned even with the technology to do so because of the need for human income. I do not see a fixed income becoming a regimented part of society in the future, and this income to actually be sustainable for each human. The leisure is a nice thought, but that seems to be the major positive outcome of this.

• I thought that this TED talk began with an interesting viewpoint on AI. I thought that his initial remarks regarding how humans will make money in the future when machines take over most of the human type jobs was interesting. However, I strongly disagree with the presenter’s opinion on a basic income situation. In my opinion, I think that this would only cause more of a divide in the social economical gap between people. If people are not encouraged to work, then no one will. Additionally, who would fund this? The 1% of Americans do not deserve to fund society especially where not everybody is trying their best to make the society a better place for all. His idea has a lot of flaws and is not a solution to the problem of the wealth gap in America. Other than that I agree with him that AI will replace many human jobs in the near future.

• This TED talk presents a stark and harsh reality to the society we know today. The fact is that consumer preferences will only outlast monetary benefits of switching to AI and machine-run operations for a short while longer. I do not believe that our working world will be able to function feasibly under any sort of equal share or incentivized pay program as the talk suggests could be a solution, but I also don’t know that it will have a choice. It will pose an interesting moral issue as we see if machines can run businesses entirely one day, or if this will be a tool in increasing the already vast wage gap if wealthy business owners own businesses of all AI and machine “workers.”

• I think that this Ted talk brings a harsh reality to light for all of us. I think that although he had many good points and perhaps some that would make people feel better about AI, it it hard for one to predict the effects and power of AI. My main question is who will fund the machinery? Will one company monopolize the AI industry and build the robots for all of the businesses that will use them? I also wonder if the leading retail giants like walmart will use or boycott these AI machinery because many of them could use the boycott of AI as a marketing tool to their advantage; Its like how some companies use made in America as a marketing tool.

• I believe that this Ted Talks shows how our society is running today and what potential changes that could be made to impact society as a whole. i was very engaged in this Ted Talks because I was convinced that this next generation of technology will truly be different from the past, and renovations will impact society in a positive way. However, I am deeply scared as an individual growing up in this generational change due to the fact that I will be searching for a job in the coming years, and a ton of jobs are being taken over by technology. This tells me that I need to become more knowledgeable about computer data, etc. in order to obtain a job in the future.

• I think overall, this Ted Talk definitely touches one of the deepest fear of human in this technology-driven era, but from a dramatic viewpoint. I feel like even if AI, VR, or other technology take on most of our current jobs, there will be more additional jobs for us. However, there might be an enormous gap between the types of work that are made available. One end might be those customer service jobs that are heavily dependent on human touch to achieve outstanding results, while at the other, and more advanced end are jobs requiring the extensive knowledge on technology, such as machine builders, data scientists and computer engineers. Either way, companies should deeply analyze the situation before they decide to hire human or replace with machines. The most efficient way is not always the most effective way, and vice versa.

• I thought the Ted Talk was very relevant to times right now where technology is so prominent in peoples lives. Considering how fast technology is improving and advances, I would not be surprised to a world solely run by technology causing people to run out of jobs. An example of this already happening can be seen with big retail stores closing down because of the increase in online shopping. This is one instance of where people are starting to lose jobs because of technology. I don’t think a way to solve this issue should be an universal basic income because I don’t think that stands with what our country is about. There would be no incentive to innovate with an universal basic income. We need to adapt to these new changes by increasing our skills and aptitude. It is a tough issue to think of a solution for because of the millions of jobs that will be lost and the huge impact it will lead.

• After watching this TED Talk in class, I was left with a mix of emotions and thoughts on how artificial intelligence will affect our future. Specifically, our job market will be targeted and affected greatly. As jobs are replaced with advancing technology, people are left without jobs and with skills that technology can complete without human error. The speaker, Martin Ford raised potential solutions to make up for the affected job market with advancing technology. One solution he discussed is a higher pay incentive for people who have completed a higher form of education. I believe that this idea would set up more barriers in today’s society than there already are, especially in the job market where unequal pay is still a ramped problem. A factor for one’s success shouldn’t be solely based on academic completion. People who have strong work ethic and motivation rather than academic success or people who don’t have the resources to achieve a higher education shouldn’t be penalized for that. This solution Martin Ford discussed will only make it easier for people who are more privileged and fortunate to succeed in the job market, making in harder for people who don’t/can’t receive a higher education harder to succeed.

• Nothing is impossible, Martin Ford’s idea is kind of scary and unbelievable when I first heard it, but later on I agree what he said that technology will take our jobs in the future, maybe not in ten years, but possibly in decades. His example of horse is funny but it’s a very true fact, and I found that some old jobs are disappearing right now, I feel a little threatened if I imagine people get educated for years end up having no jobs because of some new technologic inventions. And I also agree with what he said that this is a challenge for the whole human society because no matter you are in the “safe” job category or not, the issue will affect the entire economy system negatively. His vision of starting from the basic income is a worthy idea but in order to actually accomplish that, I think it need everyone to put effort on.

• One of part which most impress me is that human’s future in this changing fast world. However, I do not think the new technology will replace human’s work in one day, I think those new technology will created for helping people’s work more efficiently and more in order. Those technology will work for human, and new jobs will be created by new changes in society with new opportunities open up. The society is always in the process of development, people will meet more difficult job in the future. So the “substitution” issue is not need to worry about.