MIS 2101.711 – Jonathan Latko – Summer 2018

Weekly Question #1

Watch this before before we meet for class. 

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on May 15, 2018. Your response only needs to be about three or four sentences. These weekly questions should reinforce class discussions, readings and show some insight.  

Hint: If you sign into the site using your AccessNet ID and password you won’t have to fill in the name, email and captcha fields when you leave your comment.

Watch the Did You Know Video – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqZiIO0YI7Y  

Comment below on what you thought was the most interesting fact and why. As current or future business leaders, what skills do you think are essential  for success in the digital economy?

28 Responses to Weekly Question #1

• The most interesting fact I found was that 1 in 5 divorces is blamed on facebook. Technology is the future of the world, indicating that the skill most beneficial for success is to be fluent in technology. Understanding cheat codes within a computer software system and the proper function will relay the best outcomes.

• The first thing that I have noticed or i have already noticed before I watch that video is why data collecting and analyzing is important. However, this video also mentioned something that is even more interesting and i should even care more is that “the amount of technical information is doubling every 2 years”. That means that those especial skills that students learned in college perhaps is not the most important thing. As business major student, thought and our special mind after receiving education become the most valuable things that we have.

• What I found interesting was “we are currently preparing students for jobs that don’t yet exist using technologies that haven’t been invented in order to solve problems we don’t even know are problems yet.” There is more data out there than we know what to do with. For that reason I believe current or future business leaders need to be opened minded and also need to be able to adapt to change. They need to have the right skills that can be applied to new jobs and new problems that may surface.

• The most interesting thing i found in this video is that “10 million Self-Driving Cars will be on the Road by 2020.” Today 2018, at this present, Self-Driving cars are still on the test. However, only two years later, people may see so many new cars. It shows the thing, the knowledge we learnt today are still developing. As a student of the business major, how to decide the area that the company focused on is the most important thing. Doing things people already did before is not a smart decision for people who want to create more value.

• In my opinion, the most interesting fact of the video was that the 25% of China’s population with the highest IQ is greater than the entire population of North America. I found this interesting because it not only demonstrates simply how large China’s population is, it shows how much the Chinese government is investing in higher education in order to become a more advanced country. As future business leaders in the digital economy, I believe it is essential to be adaptable to a rapidly changing world. In addition, I believe it is necessary for business leaders to be open-minded towards making investments into technology for their respective businesses.

• I thought that the I.Q. statistics for India and China compared to North American were the most interesting: The 25% of the population in China with the highest IQ’s is greater than total population of North America and in India, it’s top 28%. That particularly stuck out to me since those numbers were so dramatically different and wonder if it is due to the fact that they are so different culturally or if it is just because the population is so much higher. As a future business leader, I think that it is important to stay current with technology and social media as it is rapidly evolving.

• This video as a whole was very interesting but to me, I think the fact that the top in-demand jobs right now barely existed ten years ago was the most interesting. That and the fact that students are being prepared for jobs that don’t even exist yet, and using technologies that haven’t been invented yet. As a college graduate and newer to the professional working field, I think being able to adapt to change is the most important skill one should inquire, for success in not only the digital economy, but any business venture. Even in my job at the Accounting office here at Temple, we’ve gone through so many technology changes in the two years I have worked here; It’s interesting to see how my coworkers adapt to the changes, especially the ones who may not be as technologically savy. Being open to new ideas and changes in the work place is important, as technology is rapidly advancing in many ways.

• What I found that was interesting is this is the first time in history, we’ve 4 generations working side by side. It’s interesting to me because it’s something that we don’t think about or even realize that our family are all working together and each generation communicates in the work force differently. As a business leader in the digital economy, I believe it’s important to be able to adapt and being a risk taker. Business leaders need to be open minded and adapt on the fly, so their business can keep up with the latest technology. Business leaders need to take risks because not only it shows them they have the confidence and faith in their business, but success is not going to fall in your lap. Sometimes those risks can turn out to be good things or come hunting down on you, but that’s the beauty of risk taking you never know until we try.

• The video as a whole was very interesting and had a lot of information. The one fact that I liked the most is “we are currently preparing students for jobs that don’t exist yet, in order to solve problems we don’t even know are problems yet.” It makes you think about the current education system and about the items and subjects you are learning. The fact that humans are so advanced that we are able to predict what jobs will be the most needed in the future is amazing. Teachers are preparing this students for the future, basically to ensure we will have people that know enough about this new technology to develop it. Over all, the video makes me really excited for the future because it makes it seem like there is so much potential in the world right now, and the technology that we are currently using is just the beginning.

• The video contained many interesting facts that open one’s eyes to how fast the world is changing. The most interesting prediction to me is that people of this generation will work 10-12 jobs by the time we are 38. Considering so many baby boomers worked one or two jobs there entire life it gave me a new perspective on how different generations are. It was also interesting to see that for the first time four generations are working side by side. I’m guessing this is a mixture of the average life expectancy being longer and people retiring later.

• This video was so interesting and thought provoking that I made my whole family watch it, too! Each fact gave me a new, more educated perspective on the digital world and the impact it has on peoples lives. One fact that I found to be particularly interesting was that for a student who wants to earn a four year technical or college degree, by their Junior year, half of the information they learned in their Freshman year will be outdated. I am amazed at how smart humans are and how they keep developing new information so quickly. Regardless of how fast our educations become “outdated”, we are simply playing catch up to all the information that lies ahead. As a future business leader, and as a current employee in the digital world, I think it is very important to stay as up to date as possible on all the new digital developments. Being educated on these developments is be a competitive edge, helping a business progress to the top of its market.

• The facts and figures about Facebook were astonishing. I remember when Myspace was the best social media site and when Facebook came along I thought it would be the hot new site for a short time but never thought it would become what it has today. The figure of 1.5 billion total Facebook users and 175 million connected users in each moment is mind blowing. Facebook leverages that user base to turn your personal data into revenue for themselves via advertising and other methods. Data is what drives Facebook’s massive profits especially since the vast majority of its users never pay a cent.

There are a few things that I see as being essential for someone to be successful in a digital economy.

1. The ability to analyze data for critical analysis of business operations
    2. A good understanding of business applications
    3. Being able to navigate social media platforms

• A fact that I found interesting was “a weeks worth of New York times contains more information than a person was likely to come across in a lifetime in the 18th century.” This is proof that one of the major benefits of technology advancement is the power to move information from one source to another. As a result, it is important society is utilizing this benefit and stays informed on current events to further advance personal and professional goals. I receive push notifications from the Wall Street Journal (roughly 5-7 per day) which keep me informed with what is going on in both business and politics. Not only is the information readily available, the tech has identified my reading interests and uses that information to select which articles to send me.

• The most interesting fact I saw was that most of the jobs that are in high demand right not non-existent 10 years ago and that new jobs will continue to present themselves as new problems arise. The reason I found this most interesting is because my whole life, I grew up around the idea that computers were the next big thing. Watching and experiencing the change in technology has been quite the journey. From dial-up internet to high-speed web browsing on phones, the rapid change has been relentless. I can only image what the next decade will bring on.
    One of the most important skills I believe is necessary is the ability to adapt and to change, whether it is technological or from a social point of view. Keeping up with the newest trend of technology and continuing to update communication methods will help businesses stay relevant and current.

• The thing I found most interesting about this video is how quickly the population is growing. By 2050 the population will have increased by nearly 1/3 of what it is today. Furthermore, during the time it took to watch the video, 60 babies were born in the US alone (244 in china and 351 in india). With this ever increasing growth, the world is needing to learn how to adapt to both rapid size increases as well as adapting to new technological changes. Along with adaptation, people are needing to learn how to adapt their own ways of communication in order to get along with their coworkers better. This is due to the fact that there are four different generations working together for the first time in history. While this growth in population is scary and dramatic, it is also exciting because if we are able to adapt and collaborate with one another, the opportunities for technological growth and educational advancements are endless.

• After watching the videos, I found it interesting how obsolete certain industries will be in the coming years. Not needing to pay the ridiculous amounts of money for car insurance, because the cars will operate themselves, & no longer needing to transport products because they will be made locally. The job market is going to completely change!

Not to mention how technology is changing education-the video stated that by the time your child finishes their 3rd year of college, the 1st year’s learning will no longer be useful.

Since technology is changing the way systems are ran, seems that it wold be in your best interest to have a plan B. Possibly study artificial intelligence…

• What I found most interesting was the population data. That there are fractions of India and China’s population that fit certain statistics that out number certain demographics of the U.S. The amount of human beings expected to be populating the earth by 2050 is unimaginable. I think that success in this digittal economy is contingent upon a person’s ability to keep up with the growing technology. Things in the workplace are becoming more dependent on technology everyday and if you fall behind, that could cause major difficullty, as well as give employers a reason to search for someone else.

• I really liked the “10 million Self-Driving Cars will be on the Road by 2020” part. I think that it’ll save a lot of people from car accidents by controlling the vehicles. It’s weird thinking about cars that drive themselves. I think open-mindedness is important for success in the digital economy. There are so many ideas that can be brought to life through that platform. Most of them are just waiting to happen.

• In my opinion, the most interesting fact I found, was that in the course of the 6 minute, and 56 second video, 60 babies will be born in the States, compared to 254 babies in China, and a whopping number of 351 babies in India. That is how much more of a population there is in the two Asian countries, compared to the United States! There are many skills needed to have to find success in digital economy. I believe the ability to quickly and efficiently adapt to the always changing technology is very important; almost everything we use in our daily lives are lead by technology and digital gadgets. Additionally, it is very important to use all resources given to you, and be cognizant of all tools. Being the digital age, we have so many tools and resources to our disposal and it is is very important that we use them all to find success in the digital economy.

• I found it interesting how we are now preparing people to be ready for jobs that don’t yet exist, and using technologies that don’t yet exist, in order to solve problems that don’t yet exist. I find this interesting because the future is unpredictable, yet we are able to forecast what jobs will be necessary to help businesses in the future. That boggles my mind. As a future business leader i believe you need to be both a sociable person who is a great leader, and at the same time know how to work technology. You must also be able to have an open mind and be able to come up with jobs that don’t yet exist and technologies that don’t yet exist in the future as well.

• The fact that I found most interesting in the video was that youtube is the second largest search engine in the world. It’s a fact that I don’t find very surprising however I’ve never thought about how widely used the media site is. I think a skill that would be essential for a digital economy would be being tech savvy. Along with that a personality trait that an employer would want is open mindedness and forward thinking in order to keep up with the ever advancing technology and it’s applications to nearly any market.

• The fact that I found most interesting was that there are over 100 million searches on Google every month. With all of that data Google has so many different options of what they can do with it, for their gain or ours. As current or future business leaders, I think a very valuable skill to have is to be able to be connected to as many people as possible. By connecting to people you can know and better serve the consumer.

• Scott Roy on May 15, 2018 at 6:55 PM (Edit)
    This was a very eye-opening video. The world population statistics didn’t really surprise me however, the fact that one-week worth’s of New York Time prints is more information than an average 18th century human being was exposed to in a life time was mind blowing. I also learned that a zettabyte is an extremely substantial number. The second most surprising, only to the 8th century fact, was the first cellular phone call was made in 1975. I was under the impression that started in the 80s. If this information is a sample of what’s to come in this course, I am very interested.

• What I found interesting is that “the amount of new technical information is doubling every two years and that for students starting a four year technical or college degree this means that half of what they learn in their first year, will be outdated by their third year of study.” I don’t think that the latter should deter students from going to college or from obtaining tech degrees, but on the contrary–it should compel young people to learn where to find the information they need and how to use it to their advantage. In today’s business world the only thing constant is change. Therefore, really successful people are the ones who quickly respond and adapt to change and the ones who keep an open mind to anything new.

• The most interesting fact that I found was 1 in 5 divorces are blamed on facebook.

• I know I am a bit late to this party but the stat that stands out to me the most is the stat about the 25% of the population of China with the highest IQ’s exceeds the total population in North America, not just the US, but the entire North America. I did not know this number was so exaggerated. This intrigued me because I feel that more money has to go into our education system not only across the US but obviously across the entire North American continent.
    As a business major I feel that we have to adapt and adjust with technology as time goes on because it will constantly be changing. For example, I am an options and stock broker, I have been in the industry since 1993 and technology has single handily effected how Wall Street functions. If you do not keep up with technology in this cut throat industry you will be left behind and unemployed.

• The most interesting thing I learned from watching this video is the fact that 75 billion devices are projected to be connected to the internet by 2020. The IoT and IIoT are quickly becoming our new reality, and the impact it will have on our society will be monumental. We are entering a new era where everything we use, touch, and interact with will be a potential gateway device, gathering information and sending up to the cloud. What we do with that information, and how we support and secure it, will be critical issues to address as we move forward.

• What I found most interesting as well as disappointing is that 1/6 couples meet online now a days. I think that is sickening. At 21 years old I have a very old soul. I like to do things the traditional way. Although I enjoy texting and searching through Instagram, I am all about memories. I wouldn’t want my first memory with my future wife to be on Facebook or some dating sight. I feel as though a relationship is about overcome obstacles and building memories, technology although can be beneficial, love and compassion and memories need to be face to face.( that was pretty deep). As a future business owner the digital world and economy is key for a thriving business. Social media, shopping online, searching the web for good deals. All of which benefit you and your company more than ever. Now a days, its almost impossible to start a business without using technology as the backbone. Even finding a job you need a computer to fill out an application. Technology and the digital era is dominating and like I said previously, in some ways for good but most for bad.