Community Platform
Interests
  • Application Programming Interface (APIs)
  • Artificial intelligence
  • Cloud computing
  • Customer relationship management (CRM)
  • more...
This Year
500 Points
Total
965 Points
MIS Badge

Click here
to validate the recipient

2024 Cyber Threat Intelligence

This webinar was about the upcoming cyber security threats and an overview of the present landscape of cyber for 2024. This seminar was sponsored by ITACS.

First topic was Hacktivism, detailing the trend forecast and new hacktivist groups forming. Since these groups are malicious in nature, it\’s important to keep these threats at bay, and the first step is understanding them, and keeping track of their development. Especially considering the start of the Israel-Hamas war, this area will have industry activity this year. Also discussed were recent events in hacktivism, such as data breaches executed by Russian State Hackers from Volt Typhoon. An overview of DDoS attacks was covered, include why it\’s relevant, and that it\’s gaining popularity in 2024.

Ransomware was covered and defined. Ransomware leads to data breaches, and can be accessed by amateur cybercriminals.

Another trend is an increase in social engineering being used to infiltrate high level systems. Often with these systems, the biggest weakness are humans. Social Engineering can shortcut advanced cyber tactics by manipulating people instead of computers. Cloud intrusions were also discussed, aka creating malicious attacks with cloud tech, such as scaling large neural net models. In addition, AI is a huge threat. Models can be made that are malicious and extremely powerful, as well as difficult to control. Bad actors will continue to use AI to continue their learning. And AI will also be used for fraud with deepfakes on social media and other news platforms, creating a large quantity of fake news.

This seminar related to my career goals. I hope to go into the cybersecurity or information security field, so this information was critical. It helped inform me on the current cyber situation, that I can use for my career.

Skip to toolbar