Section 005, Instructor: Shana Pote

Weekly Question #7: Complete by Oct. 26, 2017

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on October 26, 2017. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

Give an example of a KPI – some sort of metric for performance – that you use on a regular basis? Briefly discuss how it conforms to the SMART criteria.

(For example, my car tells me its average gas mileage. This is specific and measurable – gas mileage is a precise measure. It is achievable – I can alter my driving to try to get better mileage. It’s relevant – gas mileage has an impact on my costs! And it’s time-variant, I can look at gas mileage over a week, or a day, or a month.)

19 Responses to Weekly Question #7: Complete by Oct. 26, 2017

• A KPI I use on a regular basis while at work would be how happy the employees are at my job. This is specific and measurable because happiness can be measured through surveys. It’s relevant because being happy at my job is important for your health and how hard you work depending on how happy you are at your job. And it is time-variant because I can survey my co-workers and my happiness over a shift, a week, or over a year span.

• A KPI that could be used on a regular basis is the amount of money that I spend in a certain time period. It is specific and measurable, because there is an exact amount of money that I spend in a time period and I can measure this precisely. It is achievable, because I can either reduce or increase my spending after looking at my expenses. It is relevant, because expenses affect the amount of money I have left to spend. It is time-variant, because I can track my expenses over any given period of time whether it be a day, month, or year.

• A KPI I use regularly is average minutes/per mile while running. I am training for a half marathon so my goal is to have an 11:30 min/mile (yes I’m slow) pace over the entire 13.1 miles. I know that if I am running at this pace from the beginning I cannot slow down at all for water or fatigue. So I am always checking in on my pace early on and shoot for a 9:30-10:30 min/mile pace for the first half of my long runs so I can slow down if needed in the last few miles for fatigue or walk for a brief period every couple miles to drink water without going over my target overall race pace. This KPI follows the SMART criteria because it is specific, measurable, attainable, relevant to the success of my training, and time specific.

• I regularly use KPI to measure my study hours per day. This is a metric that I like to keep track of so that I can keep up to date with all my work. I think that it also tells me the amount of effort that I am putting in to get better grades. I can then use this as a measuring stick to keep my work up. I think that it also follows the SMART guidelines because its specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, and time specific.

• Similar to Laura, a KPI I use regularly is breaths per minute in order to improve my running performance. I realized that by reducing the breaths I take while I run I can reduce my fatigue and keep a more consistent pace by regulating how often and how heavily I breathe. Running two miles in twelve minutes is no longer a difficult task for me, as measuring myself as I move forward is much simpler. This falls within the SMART guidelines as it is specific in it’s scope, measurable with both my phone and workout machines, relevant to my continued physical health and time specific as it follows my goals.

• The KPI most related to our students is GPA(Grade Point Average). It is specific and measurable since it is calculated by your letter grades and credit hours. It is achievable, one can study harder and seek for help in order to improve her grade. It is relevant to one’s future career because most of companies would look at your college GPA on your resume. It is time-relevant because you can calculate your GPA over one semester or over an academic year, even up to your whole university life.

• A KPI I use on a regular basis is Lifts/Average At Strength Level. It is specific because it can set specific standards in pounds for the next gym session. It’s measurable because it uses my direct input in pounds, which are clearly labeled on weights, and compares it to a database of other users. I use it often to set attainable and measurable fitness goals for each time I’m at the gym. It’s relevant as it charts my progression through various fitness levels and gives me a clear idea of how close I am to my ultimate goal. This KPI is time-phased as I use it to set targets once or twice a week and log my actual points attained.

• A KPI that I use on a daily bases is counting my steps on my iPhone. It is specific because is measures the amount of steps I’ve taken, and breaks it up by time of day. It is measurable because keeps up with the amount of steps I take, and counts them. Then, it translates those steps into miles. It is relevant because I do a lot of walking in the city, and I like to see how far I actually go. I don’t really look at it for fitness reasons, just curiosity. It is time-variant because I can see by the minute, hour, day, and week how long and far I’ve walked. If I wanted to set targets each week or month, I’d be able to see the amount of steps to determine if I reached my goals.

• A KPI that I regularly use is keeping track of how much money that I take out of my debit account per day. PNC Bank makes this fairly easy to do through the Virtual Wallet app for iPhone. This follows the SMART criteria because I can set a specific amount of money that I want to spend per day. It is measurable because I can keep track of the funds that I deposit and withdraw from my account. It is achievable because I modify my spending habits based on how much money is left in my account or how much I received from my work in my bi-weekly check. It is relevant because my funds are very important in how I live my life. Lastly, it is time-specific because I can check my balance every minute, hour, or week if I wanted to.

• A KPI that I regularly use is the Aperture, shutter speed and ISO in DSLR camera. Aperture controls how much light will enter the camera, Shutter Speed controls how long the light shine onto the imaging sensor and the ISO controls the photo exposure. When I doing a photo shoot, the photos always turn out to be different because of the different Aperture, Shutter Speed and ISO. Some good photographer can tell how the photo will turn out by looking at the aperture, shutter speed and ISO setting

• A KPI that I use on a daily basis is the amount of money I spend a week using my debit card. It is specific from week to week and month to month depending on the amount of money i budget to spend. I set a specific amount of money I will be spending for that week. I use the TD Bank app as well as a personal finance app called Mint to measure and keep track of how much money is leaving my bank account and what it is going to. It is achievable because I set a realistic amount of money that can be spent on food, rent and other living costs and modify that from week to week. It is relevant because I need money to live and managing my money ensures that I won’t run out. The amount of money I have in my account dictates what I can and can’t do and what I can and can’t buy. It is time specific because I can look at it over a week, a day or a month.

• A KPI that I use regularly are my current grades. It is specific to how well I am doing on the assignments in my classes. It measures point values on assignments, exams, etc. and percentages. I can set achievable goals for myself; for example I can aim to get 100% on all of my homework assignments. It is relevant to my success in school and, lastly, it is time-specific as it measures grades by semester.

• A KPI I use in my everyday life is calorie counting. The app I use sets me a daily calorie limit for me to help me reach my goal and I can plug whatever I eat in it and it will tell me how many calories I just consumed. I can then use this information to change my eating habits and improve my diet. Eating is an big factor to being healthy. I can look over my calorie intake over a week, day or a month.

• A KPI that I use regularly is body fat rate. It can help me to know my body fat and regulate my body fat in a constant level when I workout. It’s measurable to use the machine to measure it. It’s useful when I want to achieve different aims in muscle-increasing period and fat-reducing period. It’s time-phased, usually one month, three month or half year depends on different goals. For instance, if my body fat rate is 15%, and I want to achieve 10%, I will set an achievable goal, usually I will set one and half month to achieve it. The KPI is an essential indicator to reach different goals.

• A KPI I use on a daily basis is win rate when I play video games. I use this KPI to determine if in however long of a set of games I am playing well or struggling to perform. This is specific and measurable, on the client of the game their are KPI that calculate this information already, and furthermore there are websites that can do it as well. It is achievable because if I am under performing then I know I need to focus more and try to unpackage what I am doing wrong. It is relevant because I want to be a top performing player and win a lot of games. It is also time variant I can look at my winrates over the course of a few games, over a year, or over the entire time I have played the game.

• A KPI I use is the amount of water I drink per day. The more I drink the healthier I feel especially as I approach the suggested amount of water for daily intake. I count how many ounces I drink and I feel good about drinking water.

• A KPI I use on a daily basis is view count on Soundcloud. Soundcloud, is a music platform and it gives me the amount of plays I received by users in the last 24 hours. Depending on that number I can tell which days are my most successful. It allows me to improve that number by correlating it with what I did during that day.

• A KPI that I use every day is an App called “Sleep Cycle” which tracks my sleep patterns and wakes me up during light sleep period. The app gives pretty good analysis of your sleep quality through graphics and different factors that impact it. You can also listen to your snoring! The app has charts that help understand your data easily, and help you improve your personal sleep cycle.

• The KPI that I use every day is “Precipitation %”; provided by the weather application “Weather Underground”. The application displays a line graph which visualizes the “Precipitation %” by hour within a day or by day within a week. The likelihood of rainfall is a specif aspect of weather conditions, it is measurable as it can be expressed as a probability, and because of the application’s visualization one can gain a realistic expectation which provides achievable results i.e. should I wear a rain jacket or not?